• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

I'd love some DLC co-op levels. Though I can understand it'd probably be hard since they typically base it off existing game locations.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Hojaho said:
eww, can someone confirm that ?
I don't want the french dub either and my game is already shipping. ._.

Cant confirm as I am buying the japanese version, but I _guess_ this might be a common new user problem of -PS3 menu language = game language-. So having the PS3 menu in German, makes the game starts up in German. Change to english and all is well, maybe. I think. Might. I don't know.

deepbrown said:
Except that these cutscenes were rendered on a PS3 and then recorded as 1080p FMVs. And I know you know that - but just pointing it out :)

uncharted 2 only outputs at 720p, but if you could give me the source that says the FMVs are just recordings of in-engine sequences, i'd love it. if it's true, my mind is completely blown.

nib95

Banned
Fuuuckk....the art direction/visuals really are sublime.

2airdba.jpg

Pein

Banned
bought the game and and played it for 8 hours straight. amazing fucking game I'm almost done with it and safe to say it's easily my game of the year.

deepbrown

autobzooty said:
uncharted 2 only outputs at 720p, but if you could give me the source that says the FMVs are just recordings of in-engine sequences, i'd love it. if it's true, my mind is completely blown.
OK: http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/game-types/action-adventure/naughty-dog-uncharted-2-teaser-real-time-$1252556.htm

And of course, like the first game, they improve the shadowing and add more light sources. I expect they up character textures as well. But it's the same models etc. I was under the impression the cutscenes were 1080p - but they might have changed their mind later on.

Hojaho

-Amon- said:
I've got the Italian limited edition ( steel case ) . I'm at work right now so i can't check but i'm sure you can have english dub, it's the first thing i've done in game. There are other dubs too, i think german and french. Language for PS3 is set to Italian.

I think you can change written text language in game too, but not 100% sure about it.

Well, Drake's Fortune had the English dub, and every other EU languages actually. And they were even available in the US version. I assumed it would be the same for Among Thieves. But what so1337 said just made me worry.
My PS3 is set to English.
Can't wait to get the game. >_<

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished. I got so fucking frustrated with that fuck of a last boss that I turned it down to Very Easy and just walked all over [the boss]. It still took forever. :|

But otherwise, holy fucking shit. The bar has been raised. When did Naughty Dog get this fucking good?

I'll gush all over this at some point in the future. Right now, I'm going to play Brutal Legend. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nib95 said:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2airdba.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]
wow, glad I hadn't seen this map before playing the single-player. It was a nice surprise.

This game is......oh my.....amazing. Spectacular. Flawless gameplay and the best graphics I have seen in my entire life. The next time someone tells me that the X360 and the PS3 graphics are the same, I will simply mention this game to them. I knew thsi would be the game to raise the bar after Uncharted 1 and Killzone 2. I'm loving it. :D

nib95

Banned
Feep said:
I just want to take a moment to link to this review of the game, which I not only think is one of the best reviews I've read this year, but also because I am biased and I'm probably only saying that because my friend, Heather Anne Campbell, wrote it.

Seriously. It's worth a read.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Review for Play Magazine

Your friend looks quite attractive based on that little thumbnail. Good write-up, on top of that, I think the layout and design of the site is excellent. Simplistic and slick, but still enough content to draw you in. Good use of spacing and banner pic too.

That said, the space immediately to the right of the write up is a bit barren. I'm assuming they are leaving this free for web advertisement?

Anyway, good stuff. If you could, could you possibly find out what they used to build/manage the site? Are they using Wordpress as a CMS out of curiosity? Or something else?

Lince

Banned
just received my UK copy from GAME.co.uk, now I've got two copies of the collectors edition but still hooked with Ninja Gaiden 2... I think I'll start playing U2 later tonight.

-PXG-

At near the end .
I'm in Shambhala, and fighting against the big blue dudes. They are so fucking annoying. God damn blue Blankas everywhere. How do you kill them?

nvm
Golden Cross Bow kills 'em in one shot

Toki767

-PXG- said:
At near the end .
I'm in Shambhala, and fighting against the big blue dudes. They are so fucking annoying. God damn blue Blankas everywhere. How do you kill them?
Run and gun a lot. Once you kill one, get their crossbow and use it to take out the other.

Lince said:
just received my UK copy from GAME.co.uk, now I've got two copies of the collectors edition but still hooked with Ninja Gaiden 2... I think I'll start playing U2 later tonight.
I've got the same problem. I was trying to beat Sigma 2 last night knowing it would be arriving today but I'm up to chapter 15 and I know won't be able to resist diving into Uncharted. The temptation is too strong.

vazel

Banned
Haha I've had fun reading all the fanboy hyperbole in this thread. Not a big fan of all the shooting in the first Uncharted but still eager to play the sequel for the production values. But looks like I'm in for a wait from gamefly.

mr_nothin

Banned
nib95 said:

2airdba.jpg
Wait...in-game?!?!

:O
Cant wait till I cant find this in the stores! Oh my...

Also, question....there's no cinema mode for single player is there?

deepbrown said:
OK, once again I've been spoiled :(
Me too :(
I just wanted some friendly impressions

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
vazel said:
Haha I've had fun reading all the fanboy hyperbole in this thread. Not a big fan of all the shooting in the first Uncharted but still eager to play the sequel. But looks like I'm in for a wait from gamefly.

You know you should play the game before you start calling praise of a good game fanboy hyerbole.

vazel said:
Haha I've had fun reading all the fanboy hyperbole in this thread. Not a big fan of all the shooting in the first Uncharted but still eager to play the sequel. But looks like I'm in for a wait from gamefly.

How can you dispute it yet without playing it? Doesn't that make you a fanboy? Rubbish it/praise it/be indifferent to it once you've gone through it.

There is a certain zealousness to all the praise, but the praise has been pretty much universal...more so than pretty much any game this gen, regardless of metacritic scores etc

vazel

Banned
Oh snap I sure stirred it. :lol

I am a big fan of the graphics though. The Uncharted games have the best visuals on consoles.

Dever

Banned
Got the PAL Collector's edition. Tbh the content is pretty freaking weak, but the packaging is awesome. :D Can't wait to play it.

zoukka

Dever said:
Got the PAL Collector's edition. Tbh the content is pretty freaking weak, but the packaging is awesome. :D Can't wait to play it.

THEN WHY GET THE FREAKING COLLECTORS EDITIONZ!!!1

Gah has nothing to do with this game, but some people have too much money. I don't. So send the extra to me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jigglywiggly said:
So what's everyone's favourite chapter?
Convoy
blew my fucking mind.

Train for me. Not that I didn't like other chapters as much, but the train chapter went beyond my expectations in terms of gameplay. I was aware of the technical feat on display from the various videos I saw, but didn't expect it to be so dense gameplay wise. Being able to jump in and out from windows (as see enemies to the same) adds an unique dimension to the traversal gameplay.

That said, can someone explain me the
Marco Polo joke in the swimming pool?
. I'm not sure I got it. Perhaps it has to do with
"Polo" sounding like pool or something?

anh_duong

Banned
vazel said:
Haha I've had fun reading all the fanboy hyperbole in this thread. Not a big fan of all the shooting in the first Uncharted but still eager to play the sequel for the production values. But looks like I'm in for a wait from gamefly.

just because someone praises a game =/= a fanboy..

a lot of reviewers share the same adulation.. i mean even msnbc ("the best single game i have ever played" ) and major nelson acknowledge uc2 as something special - they can hardly be accused of ps3fanboyism..

once in a while a good game comes along that deserves universal praise.. it happens in the game industry all the time so don't confuse fanboyism with critical acclaim..

you haven't even played the game so to say that people who have as over-excited fanboys is a tad rich.

Feep said:
I just want to take a moment to link to this review of the game, which I not only think is one of the best reviews I've read this year, but also because I am biased and I'm probably only saying that because my friend, Heather Anne Campbell, wrote it.

Seriously. It's worth a read.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Review for Play Magazine

ugh.. did that review just spoiler me about
Yeti? I kinda figure there will be some twist. and it's kind of predictable I guess considering the setting. but it'd be nice if I don't know for sure about Yeti.

Edge review gone up on their site.

No score - I guess they save that for the magazine - but from the text it sounds like at least a nine...
If you care about that sort of thing.

Uncharted 2’s biggest success, perhaps, is that it takes the player on a journey... it’s the promise of the next expertly choreographed set-piece, the next eye-poppingly realised environment, the next story-twisting encounter between characters, that makes Uncharted 2 the most absorbing game of 2009 to date, the sort that makes three hours of play feel like one.

Some of the discussion that follows may focus on the puzzle content, noting that it’s hardly an evolution of the original’s simplistic equivalent. Not everyone will be fond of the game’s concluding location – or, rather, what Drake discovers there. Sandbox devotees may bemoan the linearity of the entire experience. And few will argue that the climactic confrontation is a fitting way for a game of this overall stature to bow out. But more discussion will celebrate the characters’ interactions and the way they are depicted, drawn not with a view to photorealism as in the upcoming Heavy Rain, but with a styled hyperrealism that is wholly beguiling. Those paying close attention will pick up on just how much more dynamic this sequel feels thanks to the introduction of Havoc physics. Ultimately, no one will disagree that Uncharted 2 is one hell of a ride, and the best PS3 action game to date.

Amir0x

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
:lol :lol :lol

More like:

Like I said elsewhere, games have finally elevated from typical E grade movie horribleness to proper B grade with this title. Still can't hold a candle to good movies, but the groundwork is there with the facial animations, environmental detail and the focus on characters and their interactions in the framework of the gameplay for someone out there to make something rad, if they had the faculties to do it.

I doubt anyone in the game industry does though.

With that said, Nathan definitely does one liners better than Nicolas Cage!

Tiktaalik said:
This game is utterly fantastic so far. My only complaint is my inability to get online. Despite trying several times I couldn't connect to a party with my friends and got disconnected from PSN multiple times.

I DMZ'd my PS3, disabled media sharing, disconnected every other device from my network and even changed my ethernet cord but nothing worked.

I don't know if anyone else is having issues or if it's just me. Occasionally I get kicked off PSN, but I didn't have any serious issues with previous games such as RE5.

Same exact thing was happening for me and my friend Mango. And we had zero problems in BETA. It's pretty absurd that the actual game has these multiplayer problems, but not the BETA. That's what the BETA is for, Naughty Dog!

Yes Boss!

vazel said:

Lame. This has been out only a few days and it is already a bona-fide classic. Definitely the best on the PS3. If trashy folks like Wollan were still here then you might have had a case. This is just gamers responding to one of the best games this generation.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jigglywiggly said:
So what's everyone's favourite chapter?
Convoy
blew my fucking mind.
The Nepal chapters were just stunning from basically every direction, in my opinion. The gameplay, the visuals, the characterization, the atmosphere. Just fantastic game design, and easily my favourite section of the game. So I guess that's Chapter
Five right through to the AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME platforming section in the temple and the rain-soaked flee with the camera man followed by the fun sign-post battle.

The train, for all its visual wow-factor, went on a tad too long, in my opinion. Though it's my fault for playing on Hard, I'd imagine.

nib95

Banned
Lince said:

If you're based in London I'll pick one up off you and sort something out in your benefit as a thanks. Design/photography/games orientated?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's clear who has the game and who hasn't. Once you've played the game, it's so well made that you don't feel like defending it from trolls or anything like that. The damn thing speaks for itself.

vazel

Banned
mr_nothin said:
2replies and you've stirred the pot!
Trophy Unlocked!
Well now there's been more hasn't there?

:lol I really didn't want to come off as a hater. I'm a ps3 fanboy and hope this game sells well. I just found some of the comments in this thread funny even for a fanboy like myself. I'm sure I'll have a blast with the production values of this game. Now let's all embrace in ps3 brotherly love.

Amir0x

Banned
Rez said:
It's clear who has the game and who hasn't. Once you've played the game, it's so well made that you don't feel like defending it from trolls or anything like that. The damn thing speaks for itself.

Give us names, o' "caller-outter of playa hatas!"

Pachimari

So far these are my favorites:

Chapter 16 - liked the break
Chapter 17 - Like the climbing, traversal gameplay
Chapter 25 - This has completely blown anything else out the water!

I haven't completed the game yet but damn what a surprise and twist it'll give you!

Amir0x said:
Like I said elsewhere, games have finally elevated from typical E grade movie horribleness to proper B grade with this title. Still can't hold a candle to good movies, but the groundwork is there with the facial animations, environmental detail and the focus on characters and their interactions in the framework of the gameplay for someone out there to make something rad, if they had the faculties to do it.

I doubt anyone in the game industry does though.

With that said, Nathan definitely does one liners better than Nicolas Cage!

Thing is stuff like National Treasure isn't really B grade... A B is a respectable grade...

Its more like a Fail...The last Indiana movie as well...utter trash. People throw around the movie comparison like most movie's actually have a good script and intriguing plot. So much rubbish and mediocrity out there, with excellent exceptions. A game actually has a huge advantage over the equivallent movies, which is immersion. Books are immersive as well, because they require certain engagement of the imagination. Films are generally closed experiences. So while you might sympathise with a generic character in game, its very rarely the case for films.

Norml

TTP said:
That said, can someone explain me the
Marco Polo joke in the swimming pool?
. I'm not sure I got it. Perhaps it has to do with
"Polo" sounding like pool or something?

From what I remember its a old kids game. Someone yells marco with eyes shut searching for the other saying polo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom