• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Alex said:
Gears co-op is really fun, I really wish Uncharted had campaign co-op. Even if all they did was add a second char, and double enemy attributes or something so it doesn't interfere with the single player design, I'd adore it.

That would be pretty incredible. I wonder why they passe don that? I haven't played a good co-op campaign game this gen besides gears and R1, and R1 didn't have the option for online. Uncharted 2's co-op seems great though, I'll be hooked on that.

edit- woops meant to edit this into my other post.

KZObsessed

Fan made, it says in the info.

In the UK tho there's been teasers with that part at the end where the train flips and spins.

Somnia

GameStops will be doing midnight launchs for this btw. Brutal Legend + This on the same night. Not every store is doing it so check with your local one before you just show up.

Freezing

does mashing triangle when the Ninja guy grab you do anything? I thought you would be able to break free or something.

And sometimes it is just completely unfair when one guy grabs you and then another guy nades you. Totally ruthless.

ZeroRay

Freezing said:
does mashing triangle when the Ninja guy grab you do anything? I thought you would be able to break free or something.

And sometimes it is just completely unfair when one guy grabs you and then another guy nades you. Totally ruthless.

That's for single player only. Kind of redundant to have the Icon in MP since only your teammates can free you.

Loudninja

Freezing said:

I think its stop the blue bar for depleting faster, while waiting for help,I am not sure about this.

Yoboman

The thing I like about UC2, is they didn't stand still on any aspect. Even the solid gameplay and controls, they continued to adapt. A lot of franchises keep it the same when something worked, but it seems like everything in this game kept moving and adapting

Amir0x

Banned
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

That match I had...with my friend mango...oh my god. That was the single most fun I've had with a console online game ever.

When I entered the lobby, the other team all knew each other all partied up. All rank 20, rank 16. I was just rank eight, me and my buddy Mango. And the rest of our team was rank 2, blah blah. But they were talking so much shit about us! "Oh we are going to pwn these noobs." I just sat there silently, PLOTTING.

It was so intense, every time I pilfered the treasure I had a hundred bullets whizzing past my head. They were working as a team, flanking the rooftops and picking us off as we run, then scooping up the treasure. Our team - which was barely a team, only me and Mango communicated - utilized the bullrush strategy. Take the goddamn treasure and toss that shit across the fucking map. We'd play relay where I'd toss it, he'd gauge where it would land and would pick it right back up, and vice versa. It was the most intense multiplayer experience of my console life. My palms were fucking sweating, like I was on my first date or some shit. In one case, I was so close to the treasure chest but a guy was on my ass, so I dropped it and we dual punched each other to death. And then in another case, I was running the treasure down and right before I tossed it to Mango I got run over by a fucking tank. A TANK. It surprised me! Flourishes like this and the helicopter just keep making me shit my pants, unbelievable polish.

In the end, I personally scored the gold 4 out of the 5 times needed to win. And my friend Mango got the other point. It was 2 to 5, I believe, and you can bet your ass I gloated after the shit talking they did.

If the multiplayer consisted only of the demo contents and like three more maps, I would pay full price for it. I am BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY.

Alex

Amir0x said:
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

That match I had...with my friend mango...oh my god. That was the single most fun I've had with a console online game ever.

When I entered the lobby, the other team all knew each other all partied up. All rank 20, rank 16. I was just rank eight, me and my buddy Mango. And the rest of our team was rank 2, blah blah. But they were talking so much shit about us! "Oh we are going to pwn these noobs." I just sat there silently, PLOTTING.

It was so intense, every time I pilfered the treasure I had a hundred bullets whizzing past my head. They were working as a team, flanking the rooftops and picking us off as we run, then scooping up the treasure. Our team - which was barely a team, only me and Mango communicated - utilized the bullrush strategy. Take the goddamn treasure and toss that shit across the fucking map. We'd play relay where I'd toss it, he'd gauge where it would land and would pick it right back up, and vice versa. It was the most intense multiplayer experience of my console life. My palms were fucking sweating, like I was on my first date or some shit. In one case, I was so close to the treasure chest but a guy was on my ass, so I dropped it and we dual punched each other to death. And then in another case, I was running the treasure down and right before I tossed it to Mango I got run over by a fucking tank. A TANK. It surprised me! Flourishes like this and the helicopter just keep making me shit my pants, unbelievable polish.

In the end, I personally scored the gold 4 out of the 5 times needed to win. And my friend Mango got the other point. It was 2 to 5, I believe, and you can bet your ass I gloated after the shit talking they did.

If the multiplayer consisted only of the demo contents and like three more maps, I would pay full price for it. I am BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY.

This is how I feel too, as someone who primarily plays PC games for online play, this is one hell of an impressive product so far.

Unfortunetly I think I'll forever suck at aiming with analog sticks.

Let me ask an odd question: When you guys run into someone, say around the corner or whatever, do you stop to aim or do you mostly just do the blind fire or whatever you'd call it in such a situation? I think I may be trying too hard to "iron sight" aim always.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Amir0x said:
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

:eek:

You make it sound awesome. I've been playing MAG so O don't burn out on the MP, but now I wanna play again.

DigiMish

Alex said:
Let me ask an odd question: When you guys run into someone, say around the corner or whatever, do you stop to aim or do you mostly just do the blind fire or whatever you'd call it in such a situation? I think I may be trying too hard to "iron sight" aim always.

If they're in melee range, melee them - otherwise just fire from the hip. Up close, most bullets will hit.

Shining Sunshine said:
They both seem amateurish.

It's basically just taking the trailer and cutting 30 seconds out of it. The second one's music is :lol .

A commercial has to be specifically made for it. Uncharted, Motorstorm 2, and Killzone 2 all had great commercials.

The biggest thing about them is they show lots of gameplay which can only be a good thing for this game.

Amir0x said:
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

Damn you Amir0x you just brought my excitement to fever pitch.

aegies

Shurs said:
I'm kicking myself for the missing question mark. I shouldn't be allowed to post in the morning.

Arthur, from the games you listed, it's clear that you appreciate having an active role in the unfolding of the story rather than a passive one. It makes sense that Uncharted 2 might not completely be your thing. This is why it's silly to get upset about game reviews, it comes down to the opinion of the reviewer and, unless their opinion is completely ridiculous, it's hard to argue with the way someone feels about something can can be judged subjectively.

I like well told story, and typically, when a game depends on cutscenes to tell its story, it becomes hamfisted and poorly executed. That is not Uncharted 2's problem at all. The story is EXTREMELY well told. The characters are exceptionally well realized, and the voice acting/digital performances are among the best i've seen in any computer generated piece of media, pixar included. If you listened to us wax poetic about how impressive Heavenly Sword was in regards to characterization, it's right up there with that, and better in some respects. You like who Naughty Dog intends for you to like, you hate who you're supposed to hate, and you're conflicted about the things that Nate feels conflicted by. 19 chapters in, none of the story/narrative feels contrived. In all of those respects, I am captivated by the game.

However, some of the mechanics are wonky and just don't feel fun all the time. The combat is vastly improved, but it still isn't great, and my understanding is the MP beta/demo don't show that very well, since everyone is playing with the same limitations. There are also parts that just aren't well designed, unless the intent was to confuse and frustrate. For some people, the magic of everything else is more than enough to make that a footnote, or even an endnote, to their overall U2 orgasm, but those things crawl right up my asshole. So it isn't perfect. It's a 4.5/5. In my opinion. If you're getting that worked up about the possibility that the metacritic average is going to come back down to orbit, rather than the far reaches of the galaxy, then you should re-examine your priorities.

And for those worrying about it, I can't think of a single review that spoiled anything even a little important in the game. It's long, it's huge, and a lot of stuff happens. And they haven't shown anywhere near the best parts.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Amir0x said:
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

Oh man:lol :lol. Sooo hyped!

freitax

Amir0x said:
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

you HAVE TO play a balanced chain reaction game on temple! I once had a chain game that lasted 18 minutes! the most intense, most exciting multiplayer experience of my life:O but you need two teams that really know what the hell they are doing. Come on gaf lets set it up! who is in?

Amir0x

Banned
What is that weird "stage" level you can pick in the Machinima level in custom mode? Where it's all white and all the guns are laid out, and there's like no visuals laid down? just an empty grid with some climbable surfaces?

I dunno but it's fun :lol

GeeDuhb

tribal24 said:
i neeed people to paly with add me tribal24

Will do

Ok, I have a question...when playing coop, the riot shield guys are demolishing me, and I can't figure out a way to counter them (especially their melee attack when you get in close.) What is the best way, other than trying to get behind them, to take them out?

ALSO, my friend autobzooty and I are looking for a third with a mic to play coop with, so if you are interested, pm and/or add me (GeeDuhb) to your friends list. We have seriously played like 10 coop matches and not one of the people we have encountered has had a mic...they end up just running around and doing their own thing...which does not work at all in survival...

Dear God...just got back from playing a plunder match. I'm seriously wondering how the hell MW2 is gonna pull me away from this. I'm in fucking AWE. Games have impressed the hell out of me, but few have left me with my jaw literally open, (Crysis, Killzone 2, Grand Theft Auto III, Shadow of the Colossus, and finally Uncharted 2 join that list)

freitax

okay I'm starting a chat/party, mostly objective games. If you are interested drop your psn id and I'll add you. oh and mics are important:/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Loudninja said:
I think its stop the blue bar for depleting faster, while waiting for help,I am not sure about this.

You can be. That's exactly the point of hammering Triangle. It's so obvious I wonder why people still asks about what it does.

is there anyway to stop the game going back to "find match" mode after a game finishes? its such a buzz kill after an intense match to be sitting in the lobby for a couple of mnutes. am i doing something wrong?

Messypandas said:
is there anyway to stop the game going back to "find match" mode after a game finishes? its such a buzz kill after an intense match to be sitting in the lobby for a couple of mnutes. am i doing something wrong?

you can click "party up" to stick with the group you're in, but most of the people leave after one match. not sure why...

GeeDuhb

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Messypandas said:

Hmm... you mean the post match lobby? From there, you can press Circle and it starts a new matchmaking process based on your previously selected playlist. From here, you can press Circle again to exit matchmaking and go back to main lobby (where u can select another Playlist, invite friends or whatever)

Pressing X in the post match lobby does what autobzooty said.

Still puzzled as to why they decided to call them "Back" and "Select". It should have been.
[O] Find another match
[X] Party Up

or something.

TTP said:
Hmm... you mean the post match lobby? From there, you can press Circle and it starts a new matchmaking process based based on your previously selected playlist. From here, you can press Circle again to exit matchmaking and go back to main lobby (where u can select another Playlist, invite friends or whatever)

Pressing X in the post match lobby does what autobzooty said.

Still puzzled as to why they decided to call them "Back" and "Select". It should have been.
[O] Find another match
[X] Party Up

or something.

thanks. this is one of the first online games i've played so i wasn't sure if i was getting kicked or whatever. i would of though it would jump right away with all the players into the next game:

and thanks too autobzooty

Amir0x said:
Wow.

Just fucking wow.

Haha epic story indeed :D

Any fans of Massive Attack, or just the Massive Attack trailer from the first game?

I have a surprise for you coming. :D

Albeit hacked together, because I don't have video editing software on my computer right now. Damn Snow Leopard for making applications not work.

JSnake

KilgoreTrout said:
Any fans of Massive Attack, or just the Massive Attack trailer from the first game?

I have a surprise for you coming. :D

Albeit hacked together, because I don't have video editing software on my computer right now. Damn Snow Leopard for making applications not work.
I like the House theme song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom