• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just unlocked the platinum for this game. Easily one of the best games I have played this gen and a perfect example of how to do a sequel/add multiplayer correctly.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
rhino4evr said:
seriously...just this morning people were bitching that ND wasn't supporting their product. Eat crow
I wasnt one of them.
I was one of the 'SCEA will not release Free DLC'.
But yeah man, nom nom nom nom
:D

jax (old)

Banned
More stuff please! I'd buy something to support ND.

Uncharted 2 really is the best game I've played all year (and still playing). I'd happily pay for a mappack. They need a stage with lots of lighting/rain for co-op.

re: Plane/environmentals. I haven't seen the tank in multiplayer village in ages. :'(

Kittonwy

Banned
Someone hand me a goddam towel.
Indifferent2.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
worldrevolution said:
Feel free to share in spoiler tags as I'm about to start my crushing run and am dreading this fight.

Sure:

The first thing you want to do is lead him to one of the blue sap things, as usual. This is not that difficult, as he's not very dangerous in the beginning of the battle. Blow the sap up and damage him, and as he's standing there in shock from the blast, immediately run right up to him and start punching him. Just keep pressing Square while standing right next to him facing him. As long as you're right up in his face like that he won't even once fire his shotgun or throw a grenade. This is the key to easily beating him. Also, as he'll always be trying to follow you, he won't move away from the spot where he got hurt by the sap blast (as long as you don't). Every once in a while he'll grab you and you'll have to do a short QTE sequence (just pressing Square a bunch of times to make him let go of you). Once he releases you, run up to him again and continue the beating. You'll take a bit of damage from the QTE, but not enough to kill you, and your health will quickly regenerate.

Keep doing this until you see the sap grow back in the same spot. Once it does, just shoot it to hurt him again (you might want to move back just a bit, so the blast doesn't kill you too). Then, just repeat this procedure (punching him in the face, blowing up the sap) until he's dead. You really can't fail as long as you don't accidentally go far enough away from him for him to shoot you.

Cheating? Not really, as you're not breaking any of the game's rules. Exploiting flaws in his AI routine? Sure.

Uncharted one last week, and completed Uncharted 2 today.

HO-LY-CRAP
. What an amazing game in all aspects. Unbelievable art direction, and graphics, super polished gameplay, great characters, great writing, and pretty lengthy compared to most shooter campaigns this generation. Simply amazing all around. Definitely my GOTY, over even Modern Warfare 2.

Played 2 multiplayer games, and went 10-5-5 on my second one :lol I guess dumb people are dumb no matter what the game is. They should've felt bad. On that note, Epic should be embarrassed. U2 online is so much better feeling than even the best connection in Gears 1 or Gears 2. I don't have a headset (Thanks Sony :/) so I can't really get into it yet, but I can really see myself putting some time into it.

corn_fest said:
Free DLC coming Black Friday:
AMAZINGNESS
  • "The Fort" Map based on Fortress from UC 1
  • New leaderboards
  • Double cash and donut Drake and Lazarevic weekend
*drools*

Okay, I'm officially making Uncharted 2 my one and only multiplayer game, seriously. I finished the GOW Collection yesterday, so I got back into Uncharted 2 online again today. I swear, each time I play Uncharted 2 online, it just makes me so happy. So, with a free amazing looking map, new leaderboards, double cash, and donut Drake and Lazaervic... I'm going to be in heaven this weekend. I'm not playing anything else but Uncharted 2 online this weekend. :D Thanks Naughty Dog for being so awesome.

Enojado

RoadHazard said:
Sure:

The first thing you want to do is lead him to one of the blue sap things, as usual. This is not that difficult, as he's not very dangerous in the beginning of the battle. Blow the sap up and damage him, and as he's standing there in shock from the blast, immediately run right up to him and start punching him. Just keep pressing Square while standing right next to him facing him. As long as you're right up in his face like that he won't even once fire his shotgun or throw a grenade. This is the key to easily beating him. Also, as he'll always be trying to follow you, he won't move away from the spot where he got hurt by the sap blast (as long as you don't). Every once in a while he'll grab you and you'll have to do a short QTE sequence (just pressing Square a bunch of times to make him let go of you). Once he releases you, run up to him again and continue the beating. You'll take a bit of damage from the QTE, but not enough to kill you, and your health will quickly regenerate.

Keep doing this until you see the sap grow back in the same spot. Once it does, just shoot it to hurt him again (you might want to move back just a bit, so the blast doesn't kill you too). Then, just repeat this procedure (punching him in the face, blowing up the sap) until he's dead. You really can't fail as long as you don't accidentally go far enough away from him for him to shoot you.

Cheating? Not really, as you're not breaking any of the game's rules. Exploiting flaws in his AI routine? Sure.

That's how I beat the final boss on crushing. There's a youtube video of a guy using this technique and it made what i feared would be a difficult boss battle very very easy.

Massa

The real bitch in Crushing is the
Chapter 14 boss. Lazarabitch is comparatively easy, it just gets annoying because it's a long fight with no checkpoints.

Wowbagger

Hey, Arne, will the new map support co-op arena modes? I know you guys have said not to expect new co-op content, but figured maybe you were just talking about missions.

Amir0x

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Sure:

Lame cheap A.I. exploiting for the lose!

I think the boss came into its own on Crushing difficulty - I was dipping and weaving, jumping and rolling. Taking cover and using my grenades. Really was a fantastic way to utilize most of the skills I learned.

On the easier difficulties, it seemed kinda underwhelming. Didn't expect to fall in love with the boss fight the way I did on Crushing.

But if you cheap the last boss like that, kinda ruins the fun

jett

D-Member
Massa said:
The real bitch in Crushing is the
Chapter 14 boss. Lazarabitch is comparatively easy, it just gets annoying because it's a long fight with no checkpoints.

Eh just force melee attacks with the guy and it's over real quick.

web01

Love this game but it takes far too much $$$ to level up especially compared to games like MW2 which give you constant incentive to keep playing as you are always unlocking things , getting rewarded for your actions no matter how small and leveling up.

Wouldnt surprise me if the number one reason the player numbers online have dropped online so quickly is because of this factor. I know its the reason myself and most of my mates stopped playing, and when we do rarely play we resort to grinding co op missions to level up because you simply dont earn enough money from normal games.

Naughty Dog really failed in this aspect of the online game design, they should have saved the ridiculous $$$ leveling requirement for roman numeral prestige ranks or whatever they are if they still exist because I only remember seeing them in the beta.

Another substantial problem is having seperate playlists for "all modes competitive" and "all modes ranked" all this does is cut the available players you search for in half making it take substantially longer to find games. All playlists should have the ranked number as it doesnt really effect anything and helps to create more balanced match ups.
I dont know whats going on behing the scenes but stupid decisons like this really need to get fixed ASAP before the player numbers get any smaller.

Even a game that most of GAF like to bash whenever they get the chance Metal Gear Online still has substantially more people playing online because it has avoided issues like these.

web01 said:
Love this game but it takes far too much $$$ to level up especially compared to games like MW2 which give you constant incentive to keep playing as you are always unlocking things , getting rewarded for your actions no matter how small and leveling up.

Wouldnt surprise me if the number one reason the player numbers online have dropped online so quickly is because of this factor. I know its the reason myself and most of my mates stopped playing, and when we do rarely play we resort to grinding co op missions to level up because you simply dont earn enough money from normal games.

Naughty Dog really failed in this aspect of the online game design, they should have saved the ridiculous $$$ leveling requirement for roman numeral prestige ranks or whatever they are if they still exist because I only remember seeing them in the beta.

Another substantial problem is having seperate playlists for "all modes competitive" and "all modes ranked" all this does is cut the available players you search for in half making it take substantially longer to find games. All playlists should have the ranked number as it doesnt really effect anything and helps to create more balanced match ups.
I dont know whats going on behing the scenes but stupid decisons like this really need to get fixed ASAP before the player numbers get any smaller.

Even a game that most of GAF like to bash whenever they get the chance Metal Gear Online still has substantially more people playing online because it has avoided issues like these.

Keep MW2 online ranking out of my uncharted, It's perfect the way it is.

jax (old)

Banned
web01 said:

the money becomes subsidiary once you get to around level 40++ and unlock most of the co-op weapon upgrades. I only have the SAS to level up but I didn't even bother buying the perks/boosters... etc. Stop working about silly bullshit and enjoy the game. You'll get there in the end.

unlike you, I play the online for the mayhem and fun. Its quite enjoyable. The jumping gunning, sneaking etc al are all amazingly fun. I do think they need to up the "horde mode" and have an endless one. That'd give gamers more oppourtunity to capitalise. I keep clearing level 10. so I want more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think web01 has a point. keep the carrot closer, I'll chase it more if I can smell it rather than just see it off in the distance.

Kittonwy

Banned
Rez said:
I think web01 has a point. keep the carrot closer, I'll chase it more if I can smell it rather than just see it off in the distance.

You don't need a game that gives you a pat on the head and a compliment every five steps do you?
Indifferent2.gif

web01 said:

Translation: I don't like working for my shit ND please give me everything at the beginning or you fail.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jax said:
the money becomes subsidiary once you get to around level 40++ and unlock most of the co-op weapon upgrades. I only have the SAS to level up but I didn't even bother buying the perks/boosters... etc. Stop working about silly bullshit and enjoy the game. You'll get there in the end.

unlike you, I play the online for the mayhem and fun. Its quite enjoyable. The jumping gunning, sneaking etc al are all amazingly fun. I do think they need to up the "horde mode" and have an endless one. That'd give gamers more oppourtunity to capitalise. I keep clearing level 10. so I want more.
I would f'ing love a 1 player gold rush mode, its just way too easy with 3 people. Give me a 1 player mode with a huge bonus at the end for finishing it :D

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I wish more games were like this. It grabs you by the fucking nutsack, and never lets go. No level feels like a waste of time. It's paced so incredibly well. It's just NON STOP AWESOME. I'm so tired of generic "kill enemies in a corridor to proceed to the next corridor in which you will have to kill enemies." I mean, yes, this formula DOES apply to Uncharted 2 -- but it definitely doesn't feel like. Every level is a triple A set piece. It feels like every time I turn my console on to play the game, I'm witnessing the absolute most bad ass action sequences in a summer block buster. One after the motherfucking other!

I almost didn't buy this game (mostly because I'm a fucking idiot). I loved the first Uncharted, but for some reason didn't feel like picking this up yet. I'm so fucking glad I did. Fucking AMAZING game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kittonwy said:
You don't need a game that gives you a pat on the head and a compliment every five steps do you?
Indifferent2.gif
no, that would be insulting.

Yeef

I won't have too much time to play this weekend, but what time I do have will definitely be spent with Uncharted 2.

web01

dragonflys545 said:
Keep MW2 online ranking out of my uncharted, It's perfect the way it is.

Well it would be if it didnt take so much money to level up. They could give more money for rewarding your actions. Not to mention you can level up several times without recieving the ability to buy any new skins or boosters. With a system like this there is no incentive to keep playing for the average person. Trying to pad out the experience with ridiculous leveling up requirements is bad just bad online design.

The games I have played with mates online often resulted with us just not winning plunder games on purpose after capturing the idol 4 times. We did this so that we could just keep killing the enemy and earning medals. Likewise I have been on the side of other good teams doing that to me. People shouldnt have to resort to these actions to earn a decent amount of online money.

TacticalFox88 said:
Translation: I don't like working for my shit ND please give me everything at the beginning or you fail.

Nice to see someone constructively adding to the conversation, all I am saying is the amount of both time and ingame money it takes to level up earn online is substantially padded out and quite ridiculous.

Most people wont even get to experience the use of the games standard booster add ons.

For example the perk the lets you see enemies names through walls. how is it fair or balanced to give this to a player that has a huge amount of playtime and experience online. Even if there is a perk to counter it that wont help lower level players who dont have it yet.

Rikyfree

Jax said:
The jumping gunning, sneaking etc al are all amazingly fun. I do think they need to up the "horde mode" and have an endless one. That'd give gamers more oppourtunity to capitalise. I keep clearing level 10. so I want more.
I know what you mean. Rarely do you feel like more of a badass when you jump off a ledge and pistole shotgun someone midair to death into a stealth kill on an unsuspecting noob. That's some Desperado shit right there!

peetfeet

Wowbagger said:
Hey, Arne, will the new map support co-op arena modes? I know you guys have said not to expect new co-op content, but figured maybe you were just talking about missions.

Yes it does, mulitiplayer and co-op arena

Yeef said:
I won't have too much time to play this weekend, but what time I do have will definitely be spent with Uncharted 2.

Give me a shout if you see me online

ARNE

Something is buggy with the new firmware update. Ever since I updated my system, Uncharted 2 does not start at all unless I delete the game data and system data as well.The disk shows up and the splash screen in the XMB as well, but when I hit "X" all I get is a black screen and no access to the XMB of any sort.

The only way out is to hold the power button and then the system will beep once. Unfortunately it doesn't turn off and instead flashes Green/Blue alternating for about five minutes before shutting down.

This is the only game with this problem since the firmware update. I have Assassins Creed 2, God of War Collection all new releases and they work fine. Every single PS3/PS1 game works except U2.

Please pass this along if you can, I'd like to get in on the double exp weekend. Thanks

Blizzard

Banned
As someone who doesn't own a PS3 and plays most games on the PC, I dropped in this thread and saw the free DLC, and I wanted to say, kudos to Naughty Dog for providing some free DLC. I hope more companies follow the example of Valve with TF2/L4D1, and ND with this, with occasional free updates instead of paid stuff. :)

(I suppose to be fair I should also say Epic with UT3 and DICE with BF updates of some sort, but those came over a much longer period of time if I'm not mistaken)

Also, that fortress map looks really pretty!

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Agreed. The gameplay is rewarding as it is, I don't need a game that gives me points even for dying to keep me interested, I need a game with amazing multiplayer that requires skill so that it doesn't get repetitive.

_RT_

Two questions.....

1. Is the "People You've Met" working on this game or is it just something on my ps3 thats wonky? I've played some good games and can't find the names to add them as friends.

2. Is there a GAF group that plays? I need some more consistent people to play with. While I am happy to play with people picking up the game for the first time, I want to level up and make some cash this weekend. I need to play with some people that actually know how to play.

PSN: RT_Boston

werd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom