• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.R.K

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I think the nades go off very quickly. On the snow mountain map peopel were throwing them from long distances and by the time they reached me they were blowing up killing me.

of course from long distances they would go off quickly but I am talking about short distances, its not like you can hold it and timer winds down and you throw it at the last moment. I really like that feature in KZ, gives you awesome kills :)

A.R.K

cakefoo said:
I doubt it's technically impossible- it even captures the default system notification popups like when a friend appears online. I completely agree that they should let you capture the hud. It's Circle to show/hide it, so you could control whether it shows up or not.

so as of now there is no way it captures the hud when taking snaps?? that sux if true

TTP said:
you are awesome Bob. much appreciated.
where do i donate? :lol
lol np, it's fun to cut those together once you figure out how to do it. If I had know the hosting was that cheap I would have done it already.
What's odd is that whether those last gif are timed or no changes as I return to the thread.
It's really awesome side by side when they all pop at the same time.
TTPpwnreverse.gif
TTPpwn.gif
TTPpwnclose.gif

JSnake

nskinnear said:
:lol

Who you writing for, JSnake?

Btw, send me your copy when you're done with it :D

I'd tell you but my boss got mad last time I said who I worked for. Which is weird considering every other game writer on GAF has their outlet known but eh, what can you do. :l

JSnake said:
I'd tell you but my boss got mad last time I said who I worked for. Which is weird considering every other game writer on GAF has their outlet known but eh, what can you do. :l
Does your boss visit GAF?

Don't worry. We shall not divulge your secret identity. Not like it has happened before. ~cough~
Jeff Bell

JSnake said:
Got my press copy a few hours ago. This game is amazing. If anyone wants, I can provide impressions later tonight. Or maybe I'm under embargo I don't know. I was never contacted about one. :/

Could you tell me if there is zombies or any of the supernatural stuff from the first one?

JSnake

djtortilla said:
Could you tell me if there is zombies or any of the supernatural stuff from the first one?

No I can't because I'm only on chapter 4. Although the story does seem to be hinting that the treasure is another cursed one.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
JSnake said:
Got my press copy a few hours ago. This game is amazing. If anyone wants, I can provide impressions later tonight. Or maybe I'm under embargo I don't know. I was never contacted about one. :/

Reviews are up so no embargo. So yeah, impressions nao pl0x.

Enojado

djtortilla said:

i can't remember which review it was in, but i distinctly remember the reviewer mentioning there is a supernatural aspect to the game. personally not thrilled with that but overall i consider that a minor issue.

aegies

djtortilla said:

I can.
Yes, there are supernatural enemies this time around that are, in their own way, as annoying if not more so.

mr_nothin said:
You need to be banned!
It's my avatar, I called it 1st. Dont hate

I'll solve this. One of you gets Elena's ass. Who wants it?

And we have another new banner which was the banner for about 5 seconds last night.
Yes, I see the clipping error around the A.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
In the online demo, How do I latch on to things again.

2nd, anyway to speed up the aiming. It's so fucking slow

shintoki said:

1. You jump, and if you can grab it, you'll grab it.

2. Go into options, and go to aiming sensitivity?
Or hip-fire.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
shintoki said:

Circle for cover & rolling. X to jump, climb, and hang on to platforms.

Sensitivity settings are in the options menu right after launching the game/before connecting online.

aegies said:
I can.
Yes, there are supernatural enemies this time around that are, in their own way, as annoying if not more so.

Could you describe them a bit? What do they look like? Do they look like demonic zombies?
?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They really need to add presence data to the xmb. I hate booting up to find my friends in a match that ends in 20 minutes, which I then have to wait for it to be over before I can join.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
TacticalFox88 said:
For Bravia users, hows this game look? Just ordered me a XBR7 that's conviently coming on October 12. :lol

Lucky man. I'm looking into a new TV right now too.

mr_nothin

Banned
KilgoreTrout said:
I'll solve this. One of you gets Elena's ass. Who wants it?

And we have another new banner which was the banner for about 5 seconds last night.
Yes, I see the clipping error around the A.
I had this 1 1st!

JSnake

OK time for some impressions. I'm only on chapter 6 or 7 (I forgot which D:) so keep that in mind.

First off, what I really like is the pacing and the fact that you get to travel to different locations. As you guys know, you were confined to the jungle in Uncharted 1 so being able to travel to cities, to the artic, etc really keeps things fresh. There's a level of excitement, a feeling of wanting to know what's around the next corner in terms of not just gameplay and setpieces but environments too and that's something I thought Uncharted was lacking. You get to venture beyond this jungle and that doesn't allow for just different environments but variations on the gameplay. The jungle, of course, has very different terrain than, say, a city. So in the city you get to climb lamp posts and jump across debilitated buildings and, especially in combat, this provides a very different take on the established gameplay mechanics as you progress through the game because suddenly you're in a new place completely unlike the one before it and so you have to kind of figure that out. You know, maybe what worked in the jungle won't work in the city and vice-versa. And as soon as you start to get tired of one locale, the game ships you off to another.

So far I've found the game to be very good at introducing new things. I know this is a bizarre comparison but it reminds me of Mario Galaxy because in Mario Galaxy, there's something new around every turn. You're never encountering the same situation twice and you get to experience a lot of new things. It's the same in Uncharted 2. There is a lot of variety. From stealth sections to chase sequences, you're not just shooting and then platforming, shooting and then platforming, etc. Or maybe you are and it's just so well disguised that I can't notice. Either way it's awesome. The action never lets up. Even from the beginning, you're shuttled into a harrowing experience and it just keeps ramping up from there with new obstacles and some truly exciting setpieces.

The combat has been noticeably improved too. Your enemies are smarter for one. I'm playing on normal and many times they've been trying to flank me while I'm in cover. You know, I'm standing behind my little brick fence or whatever and two or three at a time come bumbling over and I have to stand up to fend them off. Next thing I know, a guy out farther back is shooting me while I have my hands full. Even so, I'm finding I can still wing it. I'm only on normal of course so I imagine if you play on hard or crushing you're gonna have to plan out your steps but on normal there seems plenty of room for improvising (which I like). But yeah, AI is improved for sure. I do like the streamlined melee moves. You can come up from behind a guy and take him down with a single button without alerting his friends (think Batman: Arkham Asylum). I'm sure you've seen the videos where Nate is hanging from ledges and he pulls the guys down out of the window or something. It's all done with a single button and feels very, very good.

The graphics are insane. I think they're better than KZ2 actually. Character models are awesome. You can see all the little pores in the character's foreheads and the dirt on their faces. There's so much attention to detail as well as a lot of fancy shmancy graphic jahiggers. It looks really, really good because the world is so dynamic. Shrubbery waves around in the wind as do flags hanging from clotheslines. It just looks soooo good. Oh and yes, SP looks noticeably better than MP.

Oh and Chloe is hot.

Amir0x

Banned
this game never stops giving. Amazing, absolutely amazing. The balance of the multiplayer is so good, it's just fucking incredible.

We had this match of the capture the flag mode (I forgot what it's called), but we were getting pushed back pretty hard all match. Like, really hard. We were having to chill at our origin spawn torch for like sixteen turnovers.

Finally, we made a move...we pushed forward to torch 2, and we coordinated a spread out approach where we each took a side of the map and took a torch, so that each torch would be captured in succession. 2-3-4-5, like that, with one player on each. The way it worked is, the other team rushed us as a group, we managed to best them in that one firefight, we spread out, the other team didn't join up again fast enough, and we managed to capture each of the torches in gunfire succession. The other team guy says to my friend Mango, who got the final torch, "you're not supposed to actually capture that one, dummy!" and promptly quits.

It was again, one of the most satisfying multiplayer experiences I've ever had. Not because the mode itself was terribly original (although, with Uncharted's unique brand of platforming mixed in with the gunplay, it still kinda is), but because it's just so goddamn balanced. Like, no weapon feels too overpowered, no weapon seems like it's useful in every situation, no weapon seems like it has too much ammo or too little, it's always just right like fucking Goldilocks porridge. The maps are just perfectly designed, absolutely perfect. Some of the best design maps of any multiplayer game on consoles.

I cannot rain enough hyperbole on this shit. The singleplayer is supposed to be better. Better! This game makes other games a farce.

Amir0x said:
fuck me! Laaaame :(
get someone you played with to send you the same game video data on the psn and just keep it in your mail until the game comes out. see if that works. or send it to someone and have them send it back to you.

Loudninja

Amir0x said:
this game never stops giving. Amazing, absolutely amazing. The balance of the multiplayer is so good, it's just fucking incredible.

We had this match of the capture the flag mode (I forgot what it's called), but we were getting pushed back pretty hard all match. Like, really hard. We were having to chill at our origin spawn torch for like sixteen turnovers.

Finally, we made a move...we pushed forward to torch 2, and we coordinated a spread out approach where we each took a side of the map and took a torch, so that each torch would be captured in succession. 2-3-4-5, like that, with one player on each. The way it worked is, the other team rushed us as a group, we managed to best them in that one firefight, we spread out, the other team didn't join up again fast enough, and we managed to capture each of the torches in gunfire succession. The other team guy says to my friend Mango, who got the final torch, "you're not supposed to actually capture that one, dummy!" and promptly quits.

It was again, one of the most satisfying multiplayer experiences I've ever had. Not because the mode itself was terribly original (although, with Uncharted's unique brand of platforming mixed in with the gunplay, it still kinda is), but because it's just so goddamn balanced. Like, no weapon feels too overpowered, no weapon seems like it's useful in every situation, no weapon seems like it has too much ammo or too little, it's always just right like fucking Goldilocks porridge. The maps are just perfectly designed, absolutely perfect. Some of the best design maps of any multiplayer game on consoles.

I cannot rain enough hyperbole on this shit. The singleplayer is supposed to be better. Better! This game makes other games a farce.

Its call Chain Reaction :)

djtortilla said:
Could you describe them a bit? What do they look like? Do they look like demonic zombies?
?

SERIOUS SPOILER WARNING:
Purple Incredible Hulk guys who wear yeti costumes Scooby-Doo style.

aegies

BastardSamurai said:
SERIOUS SPOILER WARNING:
Purple Incredible Hulk guys who wear yeti costumes Scooby-Doo style.

They're like tibetan abominable snowmen with incan crowns. they don't appear nearly as much as the zombies did though, so there is that.

And that really is kind of a huge story spoiler, so read at your own risk.

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:

That's why I've been behind Uncharted 2 since day one.
angry.gif

M3Freak said:
Question: where does the video data go when you click on "upload"?

ND's servers, but if you press triangle on the screen that lists your last 20 games you can access those games that are stored online. I have no idea how you access other people's games though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
the_prime_mover said:
ND's servers, but if you press triangle on the screen that lists your last 20 games you can access those games that are stored online. I have no idea how you access other people's games though.

You don't. Once you have uploaded a video you can send it via PSN message to friends. You don't actually send the video itself, but what's needed for recipients to download it from the servers (operation to be done within the game itself).

Downloaded videos are stored to HDD. Be sure to have less that 20 videos stored tho, to make room for the friend's one.

Are there any plans on taking down most, if not all, of the servers for the MP demo after launch? If anything, the demo will have to do until I can get a hold of the game.

nib95

Banned
JSnake said:

Is the press copy debug only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom