• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dax01 said:
Are there any plans on taking down most, if not all, of the servers for the MP demo after launch? If anything, the demo will have to do until I can get a hold of the game.
I'm pretty sure the demo is closing entirely after launch.

nib95

Banned
JSnake said:
No. I thought it was at first since it said "TEST SAMPLE" on it and wasn't a retail disc nor did it come in the retail case.

Fuckkk!!!! Amazing news! Fingers crossed I can get my copy within the next few days then! *prays*

bardia

Just had an epic finish to a plunder match on ice cave. My team was getting owned badly so they all left the game except myself. I stuck around so I could get my cash and screw around. I decided to hang onto one of the ledges outside at the opposing teams spawn and just pistol kill people when they least expected it. I managed to get 1 guy while he was climbing one of the ladders. Then the last 4 guys came running back with the statue, I had a small window of opportunity to head shot 1 of the guys but I missed! Obviously this revealed myself and 3 of them ran towards me gunning at me, I don't know how on earth this happened, all these guys were rank 20-30 mind you, but I managed to grab all 3 of them and chuck them off the cliff :lol All you could hear was them laughing on their mics as they all fell off

Unfortunately I didn't get it saved to my HDD because the damn host left halfway through the game and for some reason the recording stopped at that point :(

Amir0x said:
I cannot rain enough hyperbole on this shit. The singleplayer is supposed to be better. Better! This game makes other games a farce.

Seeing Amir0x go absolutely ape-shit over this game is proving to be one of the most entertaining things in this thread.

JSnake

JSnake said:
OK time for some impressions. I'm only on chapter 6 or 7 (I forgot which D:) so keep that in mind.

First off, what I really like is the pacing and the fact that you get to travel to different locations. As you guys know, you were confined to the jungle in Uncharted 1 so being able to travel to cities, to the artic, etc really keeps things fresh. There's a level of excitement, a feeling of wanting to know what's around the next corner in terms of not just gameplay and setpieces but environments too and that's something I thought Uncharted was lacking. You get to venture beyond this jungle and that doesn't allow for just different environments but variations on the gameplay. The jungle, of course, has very different terrain than, say, a city. So in the city you get to climb lamp posts and jump across debilitated buildings and, especially in combat, this provides a very different take on the established gameplay mechanics as you progress through the game because suddenly you're in a new place completely unlike the one before it and so you have to kind of figure that out. You know, maybe what worked in the jungle won't work in the city and vice-versa. And as soon as you start to get tired of one locale, the game ships you off to another.

So far I've found the game to be very good at introducing new things. I know this is a bizarre comparison but it reminds me of Mario Galaxy because in Mario Galaxy, there's something new around every turn. You're never encountering the same situation twice and you get to experience a lot of new things. It's the same in Uncharted 2. There is a lot of variety. From stealth sections to chase sequences, you're not just shooting and then platforming, shooting and then platforming, etc. Or maybe you are and it's just so well disguised that I can't notice. Either way it's awesome. The action never lets up. Even from the beginning, you're shuttled into a harrowing experience and it just keeps ramping up from there with new obstacles and some truly exciting setpieces.

The combat has been noticeably improved too. Your enemies are smarter for one. I'm playing on normal and many times they've been trying to flank me while I'm in cover. You know, I'm standing behind my little brick fence or whatever and two or three at a time come bumbling over and I have to stand up to fend them off. Next thing I know, a guy out farther back is shooting me while I have my hands full. Even so, I'm finding I can still wing it. I'm only on normal of course so I imagine if you play on hard or crushing you're gonna have to plan out your steps but on normal there seems plenty of room for improvising (which I like). But yeah, AI is improved for sure. I do like the streamlined melee moves. You can come up from behind a guy and take him down with a single button without alerting his friends (think Batman: Arkham Asylum). I'm sure you've seen the videos where Nate is hanging from ledges and he pulls the guys down out of the window or something. It's all done with a single button and feels very, very good.

The graphics are insane. I think they're better than KZ2 actually. Character models are awesome. You can see all the little pores in the character's foreheads and the dirt on their faces. There's so much attention to detail as well as a lot of fancy shmancy graphic jahiggers. It looks really, really good because the world is so dynamic. Shrubbery waves around in the wind as do flags hanging from clotheslines. It just looks soooo good. Oh and yes, SP looks noticeably better than MP.

Oh and Chloe is hot.

I worked hard on these guys. :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BruceLeeRoy said:
Seeing Amir0x go absolutely ape-shit over this game is proving to be one of the most entertaining things in this thread.

he might just have bad taste

:p

JSnake

nib95 said:
Don't be an arse.

Anyway, great mini write up JSnake. When can we expect a full review?

I always beat a game before even starting the review so uh... maybe sometime next week? I'll let you guys know I guess.

Dax01 said:
Then how the fuck am I suppose to troll this game as if I've bought and played the entire game when I don't even have a fucking demo?

ejxxjm.jpg

t6e77n.jpg

dow5xt.jpg

nqu49e.jpg

11bnsxx.jpg

xpx15t.jpg

2nvgj6c.jpg

11sounr.jpg

Thanks AJ, The Great One, Ryanardo, and Hexacker for the help.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Dax01 said:
Naughty Dog selling out the self-respect of the game industry to attract more males to their audience. Those women have unrealistic features.
On the contrary, I think Naughty Dog did a great job in not overtly-sexing up the female characters in the game. They have believable proportions and don't have DD sized breasts like the characters in DOA or Ninja Gaiden. Chloe has a mighty fine posterior though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone knows if the soundtrack will be available at the time of the game's release?

Justin Dailey said:
I'm sure this has been answered before but can you shoot down the chopper in the Plaza?

Not sure if that is possible.

JSnake said:
Goddam this game looks good. I snapped two more pics. Not gonna take anymore so I don't spoil the whole game. :lol

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/Jsnake9/SDC10008.jpg

dat water

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/Jsnake9/SDC10009.jpg

rooftop view of the city

Holy mother in heaven WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manus

This has probably been answered before, but their is a lot of pages. Are their more maps going to be in the final game? Or will all the maps in the demo be the only ones in the game?

SquirrelNuckle said:
This has probably been answered before, but their is a lot of pages. Are their more maps going to be in the final game? Or will all the maps in the demo be the only ones in the game?

7 maps total. The others look absolutely awesome too.:D

Loudninja

SquirrelNuckle said:

3 more maps in the final game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom