• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CozMick

Banned
There was me thinking that charging extortionate prices for the skins was to make up for the dlc maps being free so that the community wouldn't be destroyed like in Killzone 2.

How fucking wrong was I?

Anyway, day fucking one, YEAH!!

Cruzader

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
KZ2 all over again? It's essentially any multiplayer game that adds maps all over again. Most developers are not going to spend money making new maps and then turn around and give them away.
On PS3, we aint paying for online and ppls want free this and that..jesus.

I hope Sony brings in that premium service which would give free DLC or something to users.

Facism

Gold Member
mr_nothin said:
What if it ends up being like this:

My problem is that all my friends will buy the DLC, just like in KZ2, and i'll get frozen out of group games unless someone shares with me or i wait it out a couple of weeks. I'll probably get it shared, most likely. Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth when they want 10% of the RRP of the full game for a pair of piddling maps and some skins. I still remember my Quake/Quake2/UT golden days of free support :(

@cruzader, on PC we don't pay for online either, never have (unless you joined up to the old MS/wireplay communities for the great servers). Just because one console in the market charges a subscription fee doesn't automatically make it something special when the other console doesn't.

jett

D-Member
So...I'm in a multiplayer match where both teams are dead and for some reason nobody is respawning, with 10 minutes left. And yet I can't leave because the game will make me forfeit 40k. That was a real smart thing to do ND, thanks a bunch.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
In this thread : GAF learns that DLC development isnt free.

I dont get why are you guys so surprised , ND released a nice free map a while ago.

Cruzader

Banned
Facism said:
My problem is that all my friends will buy the DLC, just like in KZ2, and i'll get frozen out of group games unless someone shares with me or i wait it out a couple of weeks. I'll probably get it shared, most likely. Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth when they want 10% of the RRP of the full game for a pair of piddling maps and some skins. I still remember my Quake/Quake2/UT golden days of free support :(

@cruzader, on PC we don't pay for online either, never have (unless you joined up to the old MS/wireplay communities for the great servers). Just because one console in the market charges a subscription fee doesn't automatically make it something special when the other console doesn't.
What I meant is that ppls are so spoiled, it seems. They cant stand the fact they have to pay for premium content. Thats bound to happen to any/most MP games. Some of you are acting like ND releasing those maps will make the other maps be locked or some shit. Imagine is you had to pay for PSN. "Oh hell nah, U2 gonna have MP? Not buying it, hate how now I cant play with friends who have online and I dont"

Galvanise_ said:
Correct. Trophies aren't BC.

Ah, if only. If they did, I would have had mostly everything except for 50 elimination wins and 50 objective wins. Oh well. It'll give me incentive to play the MP again

Irish

Oh Naughty Dog, why must you confuse me so? You create awesome maps, medals, and skins to give to me (for a decent fee), but then you take everything I love about the MP gameplay and make it suck while letting the stuff I hate become the focus. I don't quite get it.

ND: "What's that you say? BrokenOath likes the blindfire and loathes Down the Irons? Well then, nerf the Blindfire and crank up that autoaim with DtI. Why don't you go ahead and make those bullets shoot out on all sides of the DtI user as well. Might as well lower the health too."

me: "WUT!?!?!?!?!"

Cruzader

Banned
Fersis said:
In this thread : GAF learns that DLC development isnt free.

I dont get why are you guys so surprised , ND released a nice free map a while ago.

ppls become spoiled or greedy. Its not like ND could put out ads into the maps so they could be free. These things cost money to make. Man hours. How will they get paid for if they are free??

Cruzader said:
ppls become spoiled or greedy. Its not like ND could put out ads into the maps so they could be free. These things cost money to make. Man hours. How will they get paid for if they are free??

To clarify, if you are including me in this group of people, I'll be buying the maps, I was just hoping sales of the skins would offset the price of the maps, so that we could keep the community together. Thats how I'd like all MP games to operate, really. I hope KZ3 allows us to use skins for this purpose.

Melfice7

SolidSnakex said:
Most developers are not going to spend money making new maps and then turn around and give them away.

why not? you honestly think they didnt had enough profit with the game alone?

Galvanise_ said:
I really hate communities being fragmented. I was hoping that the maps would be free, and the skins would cost. That way everyone could play every map.

this 1000x

TripOpt55

DLC looks great. I will be using the Drake's Fortune Elena and Eddie Raja skins all the time. Those are the skins I wanted added most since the game came out. Maps look really nice. It would be nice if they had some kind of playlist for the DLC. Otherwise, it seems like it will be tough to get a game on them. Those trophies will take me a while. And I never use propane tanks. Maybe I'll try to do that some now. Can't wait for this though. Trailer was great too.

Facism

Gold Member
Cruzader said:
What I meant is that ppls are so spoiled, it seems. They cant stand the fact they have to pay for premium content. Thats bound to happen to any/most MP games. Some of you are acting like ND releasing those maps will make the other maps be locked or some shit. Imagine is you had to pay for PSN. "Oh hell nah, U2 gonna have MP? Not buying it, hate how now I cant play with friends who have online and I dont"

Imagine when, as a PC gamer, i never and still don't pay to play online, and that content was released to drive sales of the retail product and expand the playerbase. I understand the hoopla about growing devcosts and budgeting for after market assets and content, despite apparent great sales. Still doesn't mean I'm willing to pay for it. Others are, and that's ok with me, they feel the price is justified and will have their fun. No need to get passive agressive or anything, just stating my position for you :)

I'm not going to take the piss out of people who pay for XBL gold either, because they probably feel it's worth the money for al the online features and solid community. Doesn't mean i think free online on Ps3 is anything to jump and shout about. I hope that clarifies things.

Melfice7 said:

So they should publish every single game from now on for free? Since they already had profit with U2, maybe U3 should be free :p

I'm not saying that the costs of making new maps are the same of making a whole new game, and I'm not saying I wouldn't want maps to be free, but it's just not realistic.

womfalcs3

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I think those trophies would be enabled via another update, or just activated on that date. They dont seem to be expansion pack enabled trophies though.

This image on the previous page is the reason I asked. I may buy the maps just to get some new environments, but I'd never pay for skins.

2wn8vgw.jpg

Cruzader

Banned
Melfice7 said:

this 1000x

I understand ppls anger in that communities get broken or what not but that doesnt mean the user must get free unlimited content. Sony/ND are a business and businesses are there to make money, not lose money.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I think those trophies would be enabled via another update, or just activated on that date. They dont seem to be expansion pack enabled trophies though.
You need the map pack for the trophies.

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20100212094220084_640w.jpg

AFAIK, its the way the system works. Each game has a certain number of level points they can hand out via trophies, once they reach the cap they can only hand out more points/trophies by including them in paid DLC.

Do not want, fuck map packs. New maps should be free, if it's not, it will only divide the community in two, and in a few weeks it will be impossible to play on those maps...

Melfice7

i know its all about teh moniez.. but im sorry i dont believe making a few new maps with a fully complete engine and assets can cost that much

Melfice7 said:
i know its all about teh moniez.. but im sorry i dont believe making a few new maps with a fully complete engine and assets can cost that much

Doesn't cost that much, but they make that much profit :p

Killthee said:
You need the map pack for the trophies.

AFAIK, its the way the system works. Each game has a certain number of level points they can hand out via trophies, once they reach the cap they can only hand out more points/trophies by including them in paid DLC.

The blog post on Naughty Dog says "All 12 of the new Medals will be added for everyone when Title Update 1.05 is released on Monday, February 15, 2010."

But oh, I guess everyone can see them but cant get them unless they get the map...

Oh come off it guys, it's $6 for everything or split if you want just the maps and no skins. I'm considering this just for the trophies alone, I won't be getting the characters though since I already got the other pack and them being mute is a killer.

Would have liked to see some harder trophies though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The blog post on Naughty Dog says "All 12 of the new Medals will be added for everyone when Title Update 1.05 is released on Monday, February 15, 2010."

But oh, I guess everyone can see them but cant get them unless they get the map...
Medals ≠ Trophies.

Trophies are system wide while UC2 Medals only apply in game to UC2. The new Medals are included in the 1.05 patch going up on the 15th. The DLC pack and the new Trophies on the other hand are going up on the 25th.

mr_nothin

Banned
Everybody in here complaining sounds like a little bitch. You're getting 2 maps for $4. If $4 is gonna split the community then fuck the community and their cheap ass....ITS $4! And we all know that the maps will probably be pretty good. This is a nice huge update, thanks for the effort Naughty God.

vulva

I like the MP. I want to play more levels. 6 bucks isn't much. This is the first time I've liked an online shooter, why not support it? I don't understand most of you at all.

Killthee said:
Medals ≠ Trophies.

Trophies are system wide while UC2 Medals only apply in game to UC2. The new Medals are included in the 1.05 patch going up on the 15th. The DLC pack and the new Trophies on the other hand are going up on the 25th.

Wow, lol, I guess I was confused, thanks for clearing that up, lol.

Agent X

Just as a reminder to all the people who are complaining about the newly added trophies: You can still obtain all of the current trophies without ever touching the DLC. Yes, this includes Platinum.

The new trophies are for people who crave the multiplayer modes, and wanted something more to show beyond the two multiplayer trophies that are present now (which, BTW, are very easy to obtain, if you haven't noticed). If you don't care to play multiplayer, then these trophies aren't for you.

I don't see what the big deal is. There are a lot of other games that have added multiplayer-focused trophies after release. This isn't anything out of the ordinary, and they won't affect your ability to get the Platinum trophy if that's what you're concerned about (since DLC trophies don't count toward Platinum).

Minamu

:lol MP trophies, quite possibly the most hated concept since achievements was first introduced. Great. Like the new medals though.

mr_nothin said:
Everybody in here complaining sounds like a little bitch. You're getting 2 maps for $4. If $4 is gonna split the community then fuck the community and their cheap ass....ITS $4! And we all know that the maps will probably be pretty good. This is a nice huge update, thanks for the effort Naughty God.
We got bunch of free stuff earlier on as well! $4 is change you can find on the floor.

Well, well, well. Naughty Dog is going to bring me right back into Uncharted 2. Two new awesome maps, and trophies. I say hell yeah to that. I don't think I would get the skins, though. I don't even know if I will be able to get some of those trophies, but I'll sure as heck try to. About them being maps you have to pay for, I don't mind. $3.99 is not a bad price for two new maps and trophies at all. Like Cruzader said, we play online games on the PS3 for free everyday. I don't think $3.99 for two maps is that much to ask for when you factor that in. Yes, the community might be small, but it's not like game developers are going to just keep handing us free maps. We are lucky we got The Fort map for free, and that was Naughty Dog being kind to us. One question, though, these two new maps will be a part of Survival too right?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Will I be able to use the Uncharted 1 skins on the co-op modes as well?

I still don't know why you can't choose your own skins when you play co-op objective. I paid for the previous skin pack so why can't I be allowed to use them in co-op objective? It's not cool, man. ;(

lastinline said:
One question, though, these two new maps will be a part of Survival too right?
I'm going to guess yes. If we go by The Fort, then yes, these maps should technically work for co-op objective modes (Survival & Gold Rush).

RockmanWhore said:
Do not want, fuck map packs. New maps should be free, if it's not, it will only divide the community in two, and in a few weeks it will be impossible to play on those maps...

1. It's just two maps.
2. I know that everyone who I play with are getting the map so my personal community is good to go!
3. They already gave us a free map and much more. They keep on delivering. You wouldn't be complaining if they were charging from the get-go (see Burnout Paradise).

Rewrite said:
Will I be able to use the Uncharted 1 skins on the co-op modes as well?

I still don't know why you can't choose your own skins when you play co-op objective. I paid for the previous skin pack so why can't I be allowed to use them in co-op objective? It's not cool, man. ;(
That's the only reason I didn't get the skins. When I played Uncharted 2, I would mostly play co-op. So, me not being able to use the skins in co-op was a deal breaker for me.

Irish

Seriously though, the people who think others are "bullet sponges" just can't aim for shit. Example: I was right next to this guy who kept shooting to my left screaming that I was lagging and his bullets were doing nothing. Here's the kicker; I was actually standing still and this guy kept emptying clips into the wall on my left.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
lastinline said:
That's the only reason I didn't get the skins. When I played Uncharted 2, I would mostly play co-op. So, me not being able to use the skins in co-op was a deal breaker for me.
I play co-op objective like 90% of the time. I'm like rank 160 I think. I don't regret purchasing the skins because I play Plunder matches so I get to use them there. Still, it's unfair that we're not allowed to pick the new skins for co-op objective. Doesn't anyone think this is weird? I mean why not? What's the hold up here? :lol

Sorry if it has been answered:

Let's say the update happens, and trophies come out. What if I get all the ORIGINAL trophies for the game, will I still get Platinum? Or do I have to get these new trophies now too?

AvidNobody said:
Sorry if it has been answered:

Let's say the update happens, and trophies come out. What if I get all the ORIGINAL trophies for the game, will I still get Platinum? Or do I have to get these new trophies now too?
You only have to worry about the original trophies for the platinum.

Anyway, about the DLC...they should have just charged for the skins. Splitting an already dwindling community with paid map packs is a terrible idea and I can't believe Naughty Dog is going to go through with it.

nskinnear said:
Man, those trophies seem impossible. But that won't stop me from buying the pack and still trying to get them all! :D

Most of UC2 GAF would've probably already gotten them by now. From the looks of it they dont look as BAD as what Ive heard. But god damn ND youre full of surprises :D! I really wanted MP trophies since the beginning, imagine the joyous nerdgasm I had :D:D :D !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom