• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwin45

Lord Error said:
So, after the counter was done, I kept myself busy with making the new theme. I reused a lot of the theme I did for the first game, but changed quite a few of icons to make them have more sense with what's happening in the new one. For example, the old handycam camera is gone and replaced with a pro broadcast camera, as Elena seems to have gotten some budget for her show now (you can see she has a crew member with such camera in one of the trailers). Treasure chest now has snow on it, the infamous dagger is there, etc. Of course, all the backgrounds are changed as well.

I'm still not sure if ND wants to distribute this though the official channels (Arne has to get back to me on this, and he's very busy promoting the game ) but I'd have to make quite a few changes to it if they want to, replacing icons I didn't make with something they'd provide me with, etc. I'm not sure at this point if that will happen, and I'd like to get this out before the game launch. I'm putting finishing touches to it now, so for now I'm only posting the preview image, and in a few days I'll post the whole thing.
Looks nice. Will download when available.

zoukka

slipknot2009 said:
I just love how the gap is closing between Film and Games. Naughty Dog is going to be remembered for being the ones to bridge that gap.

With all due respect the original MGS did everything that UC/UC2 made in bringing hollywood narrative to games and more. And technically we aren't even close...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
zoukka said:
With all due respect the original MGS did everything that UC/UC2 made in bringing hollywood narrative to games and more. And technically we aren't even close...

Can't get behind this one, sorry.

Dizzan

MINI Member
zoukka said:

Except they were ridiculous. Long winded, way too complicated, boring and overblown.

zoukka

Dizzan said:
Except they were Ridiculous. Long winded, way too complicated and overblown.

Well I can't really relate if you think the first one was too complicated... the rest. Yep that's hollywood for ya.

LaneDS

zoukka said:

As much as I love the original MGS, to suggest it did everything that both Uncharted games are doing in terms of bridging the gap between game and film is a bit silly. If for no other reason than the way the games were produced (things like having the voice actors act out all the scenes in mo-cap suits and use the audio from those scenes).

The level of expression found in something like Uncharted 2 is far, far beyond something like the eye-less Snake model in MGS nodding. It's not really a fair comparison to make either, because for the time what Kojima and crew were doing was second to none and really cutting edge.

zoukka said:

Not exactly...Uncharted 2 has a lot of the crazy set-pieces going on during the gameplay...its definitely getting there and, for my money, is far more entertaining than most of the boring action films that are a dime a dozen these days

Dizzan

MINI Member
zoukka said:
Well I can't really relate if you think the first one was too complicated... the rest. Yep that's hollywood for ya.

I don't think Hollywood movies have much substance to their stories. Every now and then there is a gem but by and large, they are pretty stock standard. Uncharted 2 sounds like it fits perfectly as a Hollywood script, not a lot of substance but enjoyable enough to supplement the action.

MG series story is just weird. Over produced and not enjoyable. They have had to set up websites and databases to explain the story and even then it doesn't make a lot of sense :lol

zoukka

nelsonroyale said:
Not exactly...Uncharted 2 has a lot of the crazy set-pieces going on during the gameplay...its definitely getting there and, for my money, is far more entertaining than most of the boring action films that are a dime a dozen these days

Sure. But without gameplay it'd be even more boring than those flicks.

MG series story is just weird. Over produced and not enjoyable. They have had to set up websites and databases to explain the story and even then it doesn't make a lot of sense

I agree but I was just talking about the first MGS.

MercuryLS

Banned
What I love about Uncharted cutscenes is the subtlety of the performances, it's the little things that characters do that really sells the acting. A lot of this has to do with the impeccable animations, but when combined with fantastic voice acting it just lifts the cutscenes from mere exposition to something much greater.

No other game has really done cutscenes nearly as well, ND is in a league of their own in this department.

While developers have tried to merge gaming and hollywood for many years (MGS being a big one), it always seemed forced and too over the top. They always failed the capture the essence of the performances, rather they used voice acting then went into the game and did all the animations separately, there was a real disconnect between the audio and the performance of the digital avatars, the performances always came off as stilted and lifeless. ND has a knack for capturing the subtleties of storytelling, the feeling of actual flesh and blood performances in these otherwise lifeless digital mannequins. It's pretty amazing.

Jim

Apocalyptatron said:
I'd love to see the front shot with the new PS branding, and the spine to see how that looks, if possible?

My copy:

u2_front.jpg

u2_back.jpg

No spine pic, sorry.

I like the more consistent game feature icons now. Especially TROPHY Trophy, hah.

dfyb

Banned
i think heavenly sword had cutscenes on a similar calibre as uncharted (perhaps less hollywood and more broadway, but still).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LaneDS said:
What's it say on the back of the box about the hard drive? 1.5GB minimum? Can't quite read it.

Looks like the back! I'm so helpful.

Pretty sure it says MB

Also, silly me

protonion

I just played for 10 minutes.

HOLY SHIT! First time in many years I'm blown away by a game so early!

First 10 minutes spoilers

The game begins with the wrecked train scene.Drake falls and grabs the very edge of the train.Immediately you are in control!You have to climb to the top.As you would expect everything falls apart as you climb.No point in describing it in detail but you will be at the edge of your seat the whole time.
After you are done you see a scene about how you got the mission.And then back to the train.And I will say no more.

Best graphics you've seen on a console.Forget the beta.

Oh and I checked the options.5 languages text AND speech.

protonion

ronny_1 said:
If is not much effort, can you tell us what are these 5 languages?

I would be very thankful

(There is a chance I don't write them the right way!)

Enlgish
Francais
Italian
Deutsche
Nederland

slipknot2009

Neo Member
gofreak said:
UC2 on cnn's front page (at least mine, international edition) :)

4qo3k9.jpg

http://screeningroom.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/05/playstation-2-game-previews-in-movie-theaters/

These cinema events were a good idea, have generated a fair bit of publicity.

No kidding! Wow. That's some huge attention for Sony and the Naughty Dog people. Makes me wonder if tomorrow's events are all going to sell out. At least i've already got my ticket :)

g35twinturbo said:
See yall @ the private event tonight :D

Lucky! I wanted to go tonight! I couldn't get a pass though. I'll have to settle for tomorrow's screening. Hey, better than nothing. Let us know what happened at tonight's event! I'm sure you VIPs will get even more goodies than us.

MNC

I want to convince my friends of the awesome that is UC2, but I can't without spoiling myself XD Should I give them a youtube link of the first 10 minutes that is supposedly so awesome?

MNC said:
I want to convince my friends of the awesome that is UC2, but I can't without spoiling myself XD Should I give them a youtube link of the first 10 minutes that is supposedly so awesome?
Yes. Definitely.

So wait, I heard about the cinema events, but I thought that was a demo or expo or some kind. They really cut the scenes together for cinema showings? That's really cool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MercuryLS said:
What I love about Uncharted cutscenes is the subtlety of the performances, it's the little things that characters do that really sells the acting. A lot of this has to do with the impeccable animations, but when combined with fantastic voice acting it just lifts the cutscenes from mere exposition to something much greater.

No other game has really done cutscenes nearly as well, ND is in a league of their own in this department.

Please don't forget Valve with Half-Life 2 and those characters. That's just disrespectful. Sometimes I think you guys have only ever played Uncharted.

Zzoram

Pctx said:
Is it better to play through Uncharted : Drakes Fortune before hitting up #2?

I would assume it's better to play it before the sequel. If you play it after, you'll constantly feel like you're playing an inferior game.

Pctx said:
Is it better to play through Uncharted : Drakes Fortune before hitting up #2?

I'm sure the answer is yes. I don't see why you wouldn't want to anyway, especially considering the price it's been at for the last long while.

Pctx

Banned
Zzoram said:
I would assume it's better to play it before the sequel. If you play it after, you'll constantly feel like you're playing an inferior game.
Good point I suppose.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm sure the answer is yes. I don't see why you wouldn't want to anyway, especially considering the price it's been at for the last long while.
How much is it going for now?

MercuryLS

Banned
grif1020 said:
Please don't forget Valve with Half-Life 2 and those characters. That's just disrespectful. Sometimes I think you guys have only ever played Uncharted.

Hmm, you're right, I forgot about HL2. Ok, ND and Valve are in a league of their own.

LaneDS said:
If for no other reason than the way the games were produced (things like having the voice actors act out all the scenes in mo-cap suits and use the audio from those scenes).

Yep, its had such a huge impact on the quality of the performance (along with bringing in an actual director). Instead of the usual disconnected 'voice-in-a-box', the VO is coming from a scene that's happening (and improvising) in real-time. Night and day. I think studios with the resources will all eventually be shooting with ND's template. The gains are too obvious.

MercuryLS said:
Hmm, you're right, I forgot about HL2. Ok, ND and Valve are in a league of their own.
In terms of storytelling, Starbreeze and the Bioshock guys are right up there with those two development companies.

dralla

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Yep, its had such a huge impact on the quality of the performance (along with bringing in an actual director). Instead of the usual disconnected 'voice-in-a-box', the VO is coming from a scene that's happening (and improvising) in real-time. Night and day. I think studios with the resources will all eventually be shooting with ND's template. The gains are too obvious.

and we got to see emily/elena in mocap spandex.

Zeliard

theignoramus said:
In terms of storytelling, Starbreeze and the Bioshock guys are right up there with those two development companies.

The in-game acting in HL2 trumps everything, though, with its still-unmatched combination of superb voice acting and exquisite facial animation, as well as nicely conveyed body language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom