• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

grif1020 said:
Please don't forget Valve with Half-Life 2 and those characters. That's just disrespectful. Sometimes I think you guys have only ever played Uncharted.

I love Half-Life 2, but due to the nature of the cut scenes, they really can't compete. With HL2 you've generally got people standing around and looking at your character, even if you're doing something silly like standing on boxes or throwing said boxes at their faces while they ignore everything your doing. It'd be really hard to have those types of playable cutscenes compete with something painstakingly framed and crafted like you have in Uncharted.

As far as facial expressions are concerned, however, I think HL2 holds up really well against anything else. Valve should be commended on how expressive their characters are, which I think was largely your point.

Chris_C said:
Why would anyone NOT want to play through Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. This is the question.

I was playing through it today (the bit after the first jet ski section to the bit where it starts getting dark [and the second jet ski section up the rapids]) and it is nowhere near as good as I remember. The main thing is the way it feels and plays, the U2 beta is so much better feeling. I was surprised however, to see how well the graphics look even now (apart from the faces of the characters!).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
The in-game acting in HL2 trumps everything, though, with its still-unmatched combination of superb voice acting and exquisite facial animation, as well as nicely conveyed body language.
yes and yes. Valve is pretty much untouchable in that area.

I plan on playing this game on Hard on my first play through. I normally play games on normal first, but for the first game I don't think Hard was drastically different from Normal. I also want to unlock crushing as soon as possible.

Anyone else doing the same?

netguy503

Jim said:
My copy:

u2_front.jpg

u2_back.jpg

No spine pic, sorry.

I like the more consistent game feature icons now. Especially TROPHY Trophy, hah.

I LOVE the new icons on the back too. :D How far are you in the game man? You should update your trophy list so I can see what the new trophy icons look like?:lol

Blah the facial expressions in HL2 aren't impressive today...infact, although I enjoyed the game it felt like a 14 hour long fetch quest...less epic than the first game

noah111

Still Alive
DIrtyWeasel said:
I plan on playing this game on Hard on my first play through. I normally play games on normal first, but for the first game I don't think Hard was drastically different from Normal. I also want to unlock crushing as soon as possible.

Anyone else doing the same?
If you can only unlock crushing by beating it on hard, then i'll probably go through it on hard first try.. if not then i'll definitely play normal first (as I usually do) then jump to crushing.

LaneDS

nelsonroyale said:
Blah the facial expressions in HL2 aren't impressive today...infact, although I enjoyed the game it felt like a 14 hour long fetch quest...less epic than the first game

Are you talking about Half-Life 2 as the fetch quest? Or Uncharted 2? I'm confused.

And yeah, the facial animation technology from what, five years ago, doesn't match what we have today but I still think it holds up pretty well and Valve deserves praise for their work.

Daante

SamBishop said:
Those Indiana Jones documentaries were pretty riveting, too.

It's okay for someone to think the art style is different. It's meant to be stylized; they say as much even in the making-of vids in the game. For those that don't understand the tone of the game, it's meant to be a pulp adventure blended with Indy sensibilities; touch chicks, high danger, some far-flung, seemingly supernatural elements thanks to lots of real-world ancient lore and a guy who rises above the normal adventurer archetype to become a proper hero with flaws or fallibility.

If anything, this game cements this as one of the pre-imminent cross-media franchises. It's so well-defined and Amy and crew have already written a script that works so damn well, I honestly don't want anyone else to handle the movie. They have an adventure movie here. They have a franchise. I promise you, after you've played throug this game, you'll understand why I just want Naughty Dog to handle the movie. It's not going to be a Wing Commander in any other sense than it's a game based on a movie with the people making the game involved.

I doubt Matthew Lillard or Freddie Prinze, Jr. will be attached. They aren't attached to, well, uh, anything anymore. Chris Roberts' touch is both powerful and swift.

[edit] Okay, I'm cross-posting this from my normal home as it's too crazy not to:

Oh what the CHRIST. I'm going through on my second playthrough and I finish off an area that's completely overwhelmed with enemies and is a major set piece for the the game. Once I've climbed into an area in the same environment (tons of snow, train, etc., etc.), it triggers a fairly major cutscene that takes probably a good five minutes if not 10 to play out and, being that I'm a douche and I've already seen this, I skip it (because I can, the game lets you).

The next area loads instantly. It's utterly different; filled with multiple characters, tons of objects that I will avoid mentioning for the sake of spoilers, a new character with dialogue, an entirely new area to run around in and explore and... there was no load screen. There was no streaming, no texture pop-in. There was a whole spoken in-game sequence. What the fuck kind of voodoo is Naughty Dog running? In fact, this is one of the better looking areas in the game; you can run up to a door and see the splinters in the wood.

This happened with absolutely nothing in the way of load times. I guess they could be pre-caching stuff as I'm getting near the end of a level, but a whole new area? Drake's model, is, in fact, totally different. What. The. Shit.

Hype +10

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nelsonroyale said:
bjfjut.jpg

Dizzle24

DevelopmentArrested said:
Im avoiding this thread like the plague now!! Seeing pics of people with the game makes me envious and raged!!

For real. I'm really hating on you people with the game right now.
Especially that fucker up there with the US version. :lol

J-Rzez

Now we're onto the facial expressions and "acting" in HL2? Yeah, it's a great game, but even the first Uncharted was able to be mentioned in the same breath. I'm sure with better production values, U2 is going to set new standards.

Meant to post this earlier (did so in wrong thread)

So, only a few more hours until the sneak-peek event for me. Getting excited here :D

Hopefully photography is allowed, and hell, I'll try to do some updates from the event via my buddies' iPhone.

Currently dealing with travel arrangements for 8 people...

JSnake

alr1ghtstart said:
why the hell would you want to watch it, let alone on a shitty stream?

A friend of mine posted "can't wait to watch this game on youtube :)" in the thread for this game on another forum. :lol

Can I ask a question? (Well I'm going to anyway!)

If you start the game on hard, can you turn it down to normal at any time or do you have to restart the game on normal? Also, what would happen to the trophies if I done this? Would I just get normal difficulty trophies or a mixture of hard and normal difficulty trophies?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ashbash159 said:
Can I ask a question? (Well I'm going to anyway!)

If you start the game on hard, can you turn it down to normal at any time or do you have to restart the game on normal? Also, what would happen to the trophies if I done this? Would I just get normal difficulty trophies or a mixture of hard and normal difficulty trophies?
You can, and you will get trophy for the lowest difficulty you ever switched to and then saved game with.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
BobTheFork said:
So wait, I heard about the cinema events, but I thought that was a demo or expo or some kind. They really cut the scenes together for cinema showings? That's really cool.

I don't know if they have something cut together to show off like a movie or they're going to show cut scenes and do live game play. There's gotta be some live gameplay since they're doing a multiplayer tournament too at the event. Either way, it's something pretty unique and special

netguy503

alr1ghtstart said:
why the hell would you want to watch it, let alone on a shitty stream?

Have you seen JTV? I would only watch this game on an HD stream and someone who was playing with and HD capture card (which are more common today then you think) but some of the HD streams on JTV are really pretty decent. Granted, it's not " OMG 1080p balls to the wall" quality but I'm not expecting that. Also, I have a VERY good internet connection so I don't get any freezes/hiccups that most complain about with streaming.

In comparison, I watched a SD JTV broadcast of Uncharted 1 last night and it was TERRIBLE. To much uncompressed sh*t for my liking. Couldn't not watch it at all. The only way I'd watch this on JTV is in "HD".

noah111

Still Alive
Jim said:
My copy:
u2_back.jpg

No spine pic, sorry.
Awesome, really dig the new info icons, oh and you can sort of see the spine, to all those who thought it would retain the 'PS3' spidey logo from that shitty photoshop job, this pretty much confirms otherwise.. again.

BTW the features list on the top there says 'PS Home' as well as 'Leaderboards', but I don't recall U2 getting Home support nor having any type of leaderboards online or otherwise..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
netguy503 said:
Have you seen JTV? I would only watch this game on an HD stream and someone who was playing with and HD capture card (which are more common today then you think) but some of the HD streams on JTV are really pretty decent. Granted, it's not " OMG 1080p balls to the wall" quality but I'm not expecting that. Also, I have a VERY good internet connection so I don't get any freezes/hiccups that most complain about with streaming.

In comparison, I watched a SD JTV broadcast of Uncharted 1 last night and it was TERRIBLE. To much uncompressed sh*t for my liking. Couldn't not watch it at all. The only way I'd watch this on JTV is in "HD".
again, why the hell would you want to watch it at all, regardless of quality? It's a game that's meant to be played.

netguy503

Sentry said:
Awesome, really dig the new info icons, oh and you can sort of see the spine, to all those who thought it would retain the 'PS3' spidey logo from that shitty photoshop job, this pretty much confirms otherwise.. again.

BTW the features list on the top there says 'PS Home' as well as 'Leaderboards', but I don't recall U2 getting Home support nor having any type of leaderboards online or otherwise..

Actually I believe some Home events were already announced where you could participate to earn one of the rare limited U2: Collector Editions.

Definity

When I come into this thread now, I'm thinking someone broke street and I can go pick up a copy (at least that's what my brain is telling me to think). Longest week ever incoming.

netguy503

alr1ghtstart said:
again, why the hell would you want to watch it at all, regardless of quality? It's a game that's meant to be played.

Ugh...and I will. I have both Ratchect and this preordered a LONG time ago. I will be picking these up day 1. It I want to see it a little beforehand that's my own personal choice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
spidye said:
1 Gb hard drive? I thought there is no install.
There is no visible install, but much like the first game, a portion of HDD is used as dynamic cache/virtual memory. First game also needed I think 512MB or 1GB of HDD space, only they didn't put it on the box as a requirement.

spidye

Lord Error said:
There is no visible install, but much like the first game, a portion of HDD is used as dynamic cache/virtual memory. First game also needed I think 512MB or 1GB of HDD space, only they didn't put it on the box as a requirement.
oh I see. thanks.

beast786

Gigglepoo said:
It's coming. We always play retail copies of the game first so we can make sure online actually functions.

After you are done witht the review, Please send the copy my way STAT.

Thanks for reading.

AKS

Jim said:

The back of the box is generally well designed, but where is the part that tells you it has 7.1 LPCM sound, the best audio quality you're going to find in a game right now? Why go to the trouble to provide incredibly high quality audio and then keep it a secret?

EDIT: I see something about THX on the back. Is the audio THX certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom