• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino4evr

Amir0x said:
That train level has so much hype. Seems like it's gonna go down as one of the all time greatest action game levels.

I hope so, train levels seem to be the new "turret level" in action games this gen. I really hope it stands out from the bunch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
train levels are traditionally the best levels in anything, so yeah

Amir0x said:
That train level has so much hype. Seems like it's gonna go down as one of the all time greatest action game levels.
Train level is cool and all, but its got nothing on second half of the game (and I'm just starting second half)

Jim

rhino4evr said:
I hope so, train levels seem to be the new "turret level" in action games this gen. I really hope it stands out from the bunch.

Just the variety of amazing backdrops that the train goes through makes it awesome. It's hard not to just take a break and gawk at it all.

xenorevlis said:
Train level is cool and all, but its got nothing on second half of the game (and I'm just starting second half)

Once you think it can't get any better... it does.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
webcivilian said:
I was at the cinema event yesterday and I talked to this ND designer who was there (forgot his name he signed my stuff lol) . Anyways he was telling me that the first game they were using 30% of the PS3 power. In which, he said that by 30% he meant they weren't using the SPU's at all and they were idle all the processing was done by the main CPU and RSX.

That's not what Evan Wells said in an interview not long ago. He said that "30%" did not mean that they only used 30% of the PS3's processing power, but that they were only using all of the SPUs 30% of the time (meaning Cell was only processing stuff at full capacity 30% of the time), the rest of the time one or more of them were idle. Now all of the SPUs are processing something at all times, thus 100% usage.

Amir0x

Banned
Jim said:
Just the variety of amazing backdrops that the train goes through makes it awesome. It's hard not to just take a break and gawk at it all.

that's my problem with most train levels - what flies by is often repetitive and kills immersion. But the added fact that the trains seem to have realistic physics in this one, and that shit is exploding everywhere and shit is getting real.

Goddamn I love train levels, but this sounds so incredible.

xenorevlis said:

It's cool there are varying opinions on which sections of the game are best. I've heard multiple people say the second half is much weaker than the first, and others who've said the second half is just as enjoyable.

Jim said:

Once you think it can't get any better... it does.
Actually, once I beat the game I'm going back and playing certain levels in slo-mo (if the cheat still exists) just to suck in the beauty :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
that's my problem with most train levels - what flies by is often repetitive and kills immersion. But the added fact that the trains seem to have realistic physics in this one, and that shit is exploding everywhere and shit is getting real.

Goddamn I love train levels, but this sounds so incredible.

It's cool there are varying opinions on which sections of the game are best. I've heard multiple people say the second half is much weaker than the first, and others who've said the second half is just as enjoyable.

From what I've gathered it seems like the second half has more platforming sections and stuff like that, but maybe fewer jawdropping cinematic set pieces. I'm sure I'll enjoy all of it immensely. I loved the platforming in U1, and always wished there was more of it. Seems I'll get what I want with this one.

protonion

So I tried playing multiplayer with the full game.There were 7 people online.I was lucky and got one to play the co-op mission in the village map.It was quite lengthy.We got owned at the final (I think) part and failed though.

Das-J

Law of the West
I finally finished the game last night (DAMN you crunch!) and I'm just as impressed as when I began playing. This could well be the best game I've ever played and I don't commonly throw out that kind of praise. I would urge anyone who enjoys games, and not simply platformers or shooters, to give this title the attention it deserves as it truly is a masterpiece.

Many thanks to Bruce, Arne and crew for all of their efforts!

Kittonwy

Banned
Das-J said:
I finally finished the game last night (DAMN you crunch!) and I'm just as impressed as when I began playing. This could well be the best game I've ever played and I don't commonly throw out that kind of praise. I would urge anyone who enjoys games, and not simply platformers or shooters, to give this title the attention it deserves as it truly is a masterpiece.

Many thanks to Bruce, Arne and crew for all of their efforts!

Shouldn't MAG be the best game you've ever played?
gstongue.gif

kikanny

protonion said:
So I tried playing multiplayer with the full game.There were 7 people online.I was lucky and got one to play the co-op mission in the village map.It was quite lengthy.We got owned at the final (I think) part and failed though.

Do you know how many coop maps there are?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lord Error said:
Here's the completed UC2 theme:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vmg43jil0tm

I have for the most part took my UC1 theme as a base for this one, but a lot of the stuff is changed, whether to reflect what's happening in the second game, or just in general to make it look better. For example, the old handycam camera is gone and replaced with a pro broadcast camera, as Elena seems to have gotten some budget for her show now (you can see she has a crew member with such camera in one of the trailers). Treasure chest now has snow on it, the dagger featured in game is there, etc. It looks like this:

35jbhvq.jpg

These are the five backgrounds it has:

n6ssvd.jpg

:eek:

Deserves reposting on the new page. Going to try this out, thank you!

RoadHazard said:
That's not what Evan Wells said in an interview not long ago. He said that "30%" did not mean that they only used 30% of the PS3's processing power, but that they were only using all of the SPUs 30% of the time (meaning Cell was only processing stuff at full capacity 30% of the time), the rest of the time one or more of them were idle. Now all of the SPUs are processing something at all times, thus 100% usage.

The ND designer I talked to said they weren't using the SPU at all. All the processing were done on the CPU of the Cell. He specifically talked with me about the Cell architecture and how offloading work to the 6 SPUs made a huge difference. As a developer myself we chatted on this topic for a while and I think my understanding was the same as yours but he explained it in a lot of detail and I he knew what he was talking about. I think Evan Wells statement is targetted more towards a general audience.

polyh3dron said:
Wow I'm impressed. I was expecting a 7.5 or something stupid.

Of course since they dock 1.5 points for PS3 exclusivity, the game is actually worth an 11 since it's Gamespot.

Just this year they have given Killzone 2 a 9, Infamous a 9, Demons Souls 9, and now Uncharted 2 a 9.5. Plus the 9 for Resistance 2, LBP, MLB 09 etc.

pseudocaesar said:
Just this year they have given Killzone 2 a 9, Infamous a 9, Demons Souls 9, and now Uncharted 2 a 9.5. Plus the 9 for Resistance 2, LBP, MLB 09 etc.
I guess that Ratchet review just sticks out in my head.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
webcivilian said:
The ND designer I talked to said they weren't using the SPU at all.
I think they weren't using SPUs for graphics processing at all. They were using them for game logic and stuff like that. Now they use them as a pre-processor for GPU, and to calculate thing like DOF, particles, lighting etc.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Crushing difficulty is pretty easy so far. I think I had more problems with the first game, funny enough. Maybe it's cause I already just played hard mode just yesterday.

shinshero

Kittonwy said:
So 9.5>10?

Just based on the MP demo alone Uncharted 2 is a better game than MGS4.
angry.gif

9.5 is a great score. :D Not to mention its the same as the IGN score.

Plus, MGS 4 will always be the game of this gen. :p Haters be damned.

Phloxy

God it's really kind of sad to see people need these reviews so bad, is it going to make the next few days easier, or, does it gives you boners? Makes no sense. God forbid the game gets an 8, or else the universe might explode for some of you guys.

Just don't know what happened to somebody playing this awesome game for themselves, and saying, yup, it is really cool, gonna get it, and be done with it. Be damned what a reviewer says because if it is a high score everybody is like yes so deserved, but if it's low, booo they are wrong. An by low I mean and 8..or GASP, a 7!

Das-J

Law of the West
Kittonwy said:
Shouldn't MAG be the best game you've ever played?
gstongue.gif

Well yes, but as a developer I'm constantly thinking of ways to improve the game. I love playing MAG, but I can't help but think about taking a different direction with a number of features, which can be pretty damn distracting! :lol

To that point, it's difficult for most of us to truly immerse ourselves in a game because we're taught to deconstruct first and play second. It takes an overwhelming experience for me to just let go of all that and play a game start-to-finish ,and U2 is the first game since CoD4 to accomplish that feat.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who has the best deal on this game? After playing the demo I am sold. First game that I will have bought in a long time.

Online felt like what i wanted mgso to feel like.

Edit: Damn this is my first post on the gaming side in a long time. Used to be 100 percent gaming now I'm OT all the time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
squall211 said:
My copy of Uncharted 1 arrived today. I'm hoping to tear into it this weekend and beat it before U2 arrives.
I bought the game on Monday night and finished it earlier today, took around 7 hours.

Wario64 said:
Crushing difficulty is pretty easy so far. I think I had more problems with the first game, funny enough. Maybe it's cause I already just played hard mode just yesterday.
did you start with Hard first? I beat Uncharted 1 on all difficulties just wondering what to start with.

Uncharted 2 is a complete game that is completely awesome.

Games journalism is so fucking awful.

calder

My brother and I were just msging each other and trying to figure out how far we would drive on say Friday if we heard a random store had broken street date.

Honestly, I think we'd go 2 hours one way. Brandon for sure... sadly there aren't many towns besides the one I live in around here. :lol

Damn it sucks randomly seeing it listed as 'in stock' at retailers now. Hurry the f up Tuesday! Bad enough this comes out one day AFTER a long weekend. :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
webcivilian said:
The ND designer I talked to said they weren't using the SPU at all. All the processing were done on the CPU of the Cell. He specifically talked with me about the Cell architecture and how offloading work to the 6 SPUs made a huge difference. As a developer myself we chatted on this topic for a while and I think my understanding was the same as yours but he explained it in a lot of detail and I he knew what he was talking about. I think Evan Wells statement is targetted more towards a general audience.

So, "statements targeted towards a general audience" = lies, or what...? And how could talk about the SPUs be more suited for the general audience? 99% of everyone who read that interview probably doesn't have any idea what he's talking about.
I do not believe they didn't use the SPUs at all in the first game. They just use them much more efficiently now.

Autofokus

Guardian Bob said:
When your getting choked, does triangle actually do anything?
Would like to know too. I always mash triangle when it happens though.

Edit: Thanks mysticwhip.
Edit Edit: Thanks again RoadHazard. :)

Is uncharted 2 multilanguage? Can someone confirm this?
I can confirm that the PEGI-Version does contain 5 languages.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Autofokus said:
Would like to know too. I always mash triangle when it happens though.

Tapping Triangle makes you "fight it", which lets you survive longer so that someone may save you in time. Try not doing it, the strangling indicator will go down much faster.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
xenorevlis said:
Actually, once I beat the game I'm going back and playing certain levels in slo-mo (if the cheat still exists) just to suck in the beauty :D
There's a slow motion setting in the Tweak section of the Store.
DevelopmentArrested said:
did you start with Hard first? I beat Uncharted 1 on all difficulties just wondering what to start with.
Drake's Fortune Hard is harder than Among Thieves Hard IMO.

Dax01 said:
For anyone who got the game early: Can you tell me any shortcomings so I can troll the hell out of them?

The game ends. Should've been an MMO or something.

The ending of the PSXExtreme review by AlphaSnake:

PSXExtreme said:
Uncharted 2 represents everything I've always wanted to see out of an action-adventure game such as this. It defines what videogames mean to me. It's designed in such a way that is completely the opposite of what most games in the genre have been doing, and yet, by taking a step back to a more traditional setup, it is without question the best game the genre has seen in a very long time. It is also without question the best looking console game I've ever seen, easily the best of the generation. And, it is also without question the very best game we've seen all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom