• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaneDS said:
Yeah, for the beta at least. But those will (presumably) be wiped out in a few days. I assume the retail ones are already up and running.

I still do not understand how the server is accessed, either via PS3 or web browser. In theory how would I watch a video that you uploaded?

rhino4evr

Lord Error said:
There's location spoilers just looking at pictures posted on the first page of the review. Just glancing over them I see it's from the locations we didn't see before.

yeah..sadly I saw one photo of something I hadnt seen..but nothing that runied anything for me.

not to be redundant, but...

holy crap, do NOT watch the Gamespot video review, or at least plug your ears and close your eyes for the first 15 seconds! MAJOR spoiler.

Erebus

Question for people who already got the game, does it look better or worse if you force 1080p by unticking the other resolutions on the PS3's display settings?

DoomGyver

DarkUSS said:
Question for people who already got the game, does it look better or worse if you force 1080p by unticking the other resolutions on the PS3's display settings?
Always depends on your personal setup.

LaneDS

Kos Luftar said:
I still do not understand how the server is accessed, either via PS3 or web browser. In theory how would I watch a video that you uploaded?

You don't upload videos. There is no in-game video making function, not even in cinema mode. The replays are literally the data from each match played back through the Uncharted 2 engine, which is why you can move the camera to any angle and play with the replay. Uploading a replay allows you to have that replay permanently stored on ND's servers so you don't have to keep it on your hard drive, so you can download it for later use or share it with a friend. You can only view these uploaded replays through Uncharted 2, in-game.

For actual video making, you'll need a capture card or camera. For now there's no YouTube support or anything like that sadly.

DarkUSS said:

Haven't tried as my tv only does 720p max.

Not too sure as to what resolution the game was running at the SF event last night, but it was gorgeous regardless.

Efrendal

Sounds like it was a good thing i wasn't paying attention for the first 15 or so seconds of the GS's video review. spoilers = do not want, especially BIG ones.

as for the rest of the vid, the game looks so pretty. Why can't it already be next week? :lol

beast786

polyh3dron said:
Wow I'm impressed. I was expecting a 7.5 or something stupid.

Of course since they dock 1.5 points for PS3 exclusivity, the game is actually worth an 11 since it's Gamespot.

They gave MGS4 (10) and gave it Game of the Year.
They just gave Demon Souls (9)

I think its safe to say gamespot is not biased.

polyh3dron said:
Wow I'm impressed. I was expecting a 7.5 or something stupid.

Of course since they dock 1.5 points for PS3 exclusivity, the game is actually worth an 11 since it's Gamespot.

EDGE still remains..... it shall be glorious

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dax01 said:
I'm going to pre-order this game again just so I can cancel my pre-order when the Edge review comes out.

I'm so epic.
lmfoa

I never express such a high level of laughter but I thought it was worth it so I gambled. I hope my tires aren't slashed in the morning :O

Lemming_JRS said:
not to be redundant, but...

holy crap, do NOT watch the Gamespot video review, or at least plug your ears and close your eyes for the first 15 seconds! MAJOR spoiler.
I sort of watched it without really considering any possible consequences. Do you mean
the minotaur
?

Kittonwy

Banned
beast786 said:
They gave MGS4 (10) and gave it Game of the Year.
They just gave Demon Souls (9)

I think its safe to say gamespot is not biased.

So 9.5>10?

Just based on the MP demo alone Uncharted 2 is a better game than MGS4.
angry.gif

slipknot2009

Neo Member
jaydogg691 said:
Just sent in my affidavit for my Fortune Hunter Edition. I wonder how long it will take to receive?

I was wondering about that. What did you have to do on the affidavit? I know there was a space for a notary public to sign, but what kind of stuff did you need to fill out?

Hydrargyrus

Wooa

Great score from GS

What a month!! Demon's Souls - Uncharted 2 - Ratchet
One on the way to my home, the other two already paid

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And you will all forget that EDGE does not signify whether or not the game will be great. I think we all know what it is now. No score will temper my hype.

RoadHazard said:
So... are they going to use all of the SPUs 120% of the time in their next game (since they claim to have gone from 30% usage (with SPUs idling the rest of the time) to 100% usage between U1 and U2), or what? ;)

Nah, just kidding, I understand that the code can still be even further optimized even if they're already using all of the SPUs all of the time. Can't wait to see the results. Or, actually, I can, now I'm just waiting for U2. Just another week!

I was at the cinema event yesterday and I talked to this ND designer who was there (forgot his name he signed my stuff lol) . Anyways he was telling me that the first game they were using 30% of the PS3 power. In which, he said that by 30% he meant they weren't using the SPU's at all and they were idle all the processing was done by the main CPU and RSX. But for Uncharted 2 they are using all the SPU and there are no idle cycles. He also mentioned that they can still pull off a lot just by optimising the engine. He mentioned that their top tools guy who created the engine has left ND and moved to Japan and always jokingly tells the guys at ND that they can't top the current engine without him.

A.R.K

Gamespot said:
All of this incredible action is complemented by some of the most impressive visuals on PlayStation 3

Why are most of the media outlets saying its the best looking game on the PS3 instead of saying this is the best looking game on any console yet. No other game on any other console comes even close to this. Just call it like it is :).

But anyways, yet another great review for UC2!!! :D

LaneDS said:
You don't upload videos. There is no in-game video making function, not even in cinema mode. The replays are literally the data from each match played back through the Uncharted 2 engine, which is why you can move the camera to any angle and play with the replay. Uploading a replay allows you to have that replay permanently stored on ND's servers so you don't have to keep it on your hard drive, so you can download it for later use or share it with a friend. You can only view these uploaded replays through Uncharted 2, in-game.

For actual video making, you'll need a capture card or camera. For now there's no YouTube support or anything like that sadly.

I was at the cinema event yesterday and I talked to a ND designer who was there and I asked about no in-game YouTube support. He told me that Cinema Mode is in-game and is using the game engine with network updates for playback. It not a recording thats why you can interact with it. He told me that as its in game there wasnt much memory available to pull off a YouTube conversion which he told me they figured required 14MB of memory.

webcivilian said:
I was at the cinema event yesterday and I talked to this ND designer who was there (forgot his name he signed my stuff lol) . Anyways he was telling me that the first game they were using 30% of the PS3 power. In which, he said that by 30% he meant they weren't using the SPU's at all and they were idle all the processing was done by the main CPU and RSX. But for Uncharted 2 they are using all the SPU and there are no idle cycles. He also mentioned that they can still pull off a lot just by optimising the engine. He mentioned that their top tools guy who created the engine has left ND and moved to Japan and always tells the guys at ND that they can't top the current engine without him (laugter).

Hopefully the tools guy went to work for PD or Team ICO... Talented people need to be kept in-house!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
A.R.K said:
Why are most of the media outlets saying its the best looking game on the PS3 instead of saying this is the best looking game on any console yet. No other game on any other console comes even close to this. Just call it like it is :)
Political correctness? On Gamespot they will always say "Some of the best visuals on console XYZ", if the game is impressive looking. I've never seen them state something like that in absolutes.

Hydrargyrus

A.R.K said:
Why are most of the media outlets saying its the best looking game on the PS3 instead of saying this is the best looking game on any console yet. No other game on any other console comes even close to this. Just call it like it is :).

But anyways, yet another great review for UC2!!! :D

Why?, all we know that it's (probably) the best looking game on any console, but it's no necessary to make more stupid an unnecessary discussions between fanboys

Loudninja

Hey Guys, We're working on getting a new version of this video review up minus that first clip right now. Having played through the game myself I don't think it's quite as big a spoiler as it appears to be to someone who hasn't got the game yet, but we're moving to change it as quickly as possible anyway. Apologies to any of you who feel like this might hamper your enjoyment of the game at all, but there are still *plenty* of surprises waiting for you.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...-51679960&pid=955125&page=1&tag=topics;page;2

A.R.K

Hydrargyrus said:
Why?, all we know that it's (probably) the best looking game on any console, but it's no necessary to make more stupid an unnecessary discussions between fanboys

and they not saying that would stop the fanboys? oh sure :)

Fanboys would be fanboys either way, but I would like to see they stating the fact as it is. Just my opinion anyways.

webcivilian said:
I was at the cinema event yesterday and I talked to this ND designer who was there (forgot his name he signed my stuff lol) . Anyways he was telling me that the first game they were using 30% of the PS3 power. In which, he said that by 30% he meant they weren't using the SPU's at all and they were idle all the processing was done by the main CPU and RSX. But for Uncharted 2 they are using all the SPU and there are no idle cycles. He also mentioned that they can still pull off a lot just by optimising the engine. He mentioned that their top tools guy who created the engine has left ND and moved to Japan and always tells the guys at ND that they can't top the current engine without him (laugter).
Is he still with Sony?

Whoa, I watched about a minute of the GameSpot review. I can't beleive they don't even think about leaving it out in the first place, even thought they say it is not a big spoiler compared to the rest of the game. Anything we haven't seen at all yet or even heard of yet I consider a big spoiler!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's the completed UC2 theme:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u2jgtkj3n22

I have for the most part took my UC1 theme as a base for this one, but a lot of the stuff is changed, whether to reflect what's happening in the second game, or just in general to make it look better. For example, the old handycam camera is gone and replaced with a pro broadcast camera, as Elena seems to have gotten some budget for her show now (you can see she has a crew member with such camera in one of the trailers). Treasure chest now has snow on it, the dagger featured in game is there, etc. It looks like this:

15p1sfc.jpg

These are the five backgrounds it has:

n6ssvd.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Kittonwy said:
So 9.5>10?

Just based on the MP demo alone Uncharted 2 is a better game than MGS4.
angry.gif

If all Uncharted 2 contained was its title screen with that epic music, it'd be better than MGS4.

Amir0x

Banned
That train level has so much hype. Seems like it's gonna go down as one of the all time greatest action game levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom