• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
thuway said:
I prefer it Yoshi. Opinions for this will be all over the place. This is more Zelda + MGS4 than Uncharted 2.
I'm super interested in knowing why you think it's Zelda + MGS4 (love both those games/series).
Raonak said:
It is, bro.

In reality it could go either way, it's a definete change of pace, i could see people ranking it lower due to there being lots of downtime.
Downtime as in less action? That's a good thing for me. The relaxed parts of U2 were the best parts of U2...

Jarmel

Banned
Raonak said:
It is, bro.

In reality it could go either way, it's a definete change of pace, i could see people ranking it lower due to there being lots of downtime.

It lagged in two spots for me
Syria and the ship graveyard
and I mean really lagged. It's mostly because they're so bland and uninspired compared to the rest of the game.

Pranay

Jarmel said:
It's very straightforward. Does nothing spectacular like
France
or even attempts to.

It didnt need any spectacular stuff.

It was a great mixture Gun fights, puzzles and exploration.

TBH i enjoyed it more then level you mentioned even though that level was great as well

and the game really needed that straightforward level at that time.

hamchan

Yoshichan said:
Downtime as in less action? That's a good thing for me. The relaxed parts of U2 were the best parts of U2...

The relaxed bits are only good combined with a good amount of high intensity, shootout bits because it provides a nice change of pace. Unless you really like a whole game consisting of the easiest platforming in the world with the easiest puzzles in the world. It's why the first 5 chapters of this game are quite boring to me gameplay wise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hamchan said:
The relaxed bits are only good combined with a good amount of high intensity, shootout bits because it provides a nice change of pace. Unless you really like a whole game consisting of the easiest platforming in the world with the easiest puzzles in the world. It's why the first 5 chapters of this game are quite boring to me gameplay wise.
So... kinda like Uncharted 1, then? Chapter 1-4 or w/e in the original game was super boring.

Madrical

Banned
My explorers edition is staring at me on my bed. As soon as I finish this dinner, it's time to tuck into some half-tuck!

Oh gawd I cant' wait.

eshwaaz

Got to Chapter 8 last night. Aside from initial disappointment with the awkward, floaty brawl at the game's opening, I've been having a great time. Chapter 7 had me grinning from ear to ear; I was practically giddy during the final moments of that level.

Still a little apprehensive over the talk of difficulty spikes and waves of enemies from all directions in later levels, but I'll have no shame bumping down to easy if it starts killing the flow.

hamchan

Yoshichan said:
So... kinda like Uncharted 1, then? Chapter 1-4 or w/e in the original game was super boring.

This game is kinda reminding me more of Uncharted 1 than Uncharted 2 actually. The enemies certainly act more like UC1 guys than UC2.

JaseC said:
Arne said the other day that he talked to a few fellow NDs and they seemed surprised that it wasn't in the game, and as has been pointed out it was present in the launch trailer and seemingly present in the particular build ND have around the office (hence why ND were initially insistent that motion blur was in fact implemented in the game). If the effect was removed intentionally, we would have confirmation of that by now.

Edit: I am well learned in the functions of game patches, however what you don't seem to understand is that motion blur was present in the game prior to release and apparently removed erroneously, thus the effect is already supported in the engine; that is to say, there's no need to implement the required code for the effect as it is already present and just not being actively parsed. Obviously, as you suggest, in cases where post-processing effects were removed with reason, it is unreasonable to expect them to return by way of an update.

The point is, we don't know for sure whether the effect was removed intentionally or not. The fact that it is supported by the engine doesn't mean anything, and neither does the implementation of motion blur used in that trailer or in older builds. I seriously doubt the lack of motion blur is due to a human error; it's too conspicuous an effect for people to overlook it, which is especially true for top developers like Naughty Dog.

The simplest explanation is that the effect was removed out of performance issues. Sure, they can implement MB easily via a patch, but, as you say, it wouldn't make any sense to patch it in if that was the case. If it wasn't, though, that would be a great addition to an already fantastic-looking game.

Yoshichan

hamchan said:
This game is kinda reminding me more of Uncharted 1 than Uncharted 2 actually. The enemies certainly act more like UC1 guys than UC2.
All right! Well, it should've arrived now! Will return when either 1: game hasn't arrived 2: I've beaten the game

REV 09

Finished it. The game was pretty good overall and had a few very memorable moments. The combat and pacing were severe weak points for me. The combat only got worse as the game wore on. It was seriously rage inducing. Dumb ai, bad controls, every enemy type for every encounter x3, and they just come at you. I would still give the game a 4/5, but it was tough to enjoy the good due to the bad. This was probably the worst uncharted game for me. Dat plane though...wow. And dat ship.

The game needs some slow parts and I don't mind them at all it rare that a game will do this type of stuff and it a good contrast between the more fast pace

REV 09 said:
Finished it. The game was pretty good overall and had a few very memorable moments. The combat and pacing were severe weak points for me. The combat only got worse as the game wore on. It was seriously rage inducing. Dumb ai, bad controls, every enemy type for every encounter x3, and they just come at you. I would still give the game a 4/5, but it was tough to enjoy the good due to the bad. This was probably the worst uncharted game for me. Dat plane though...wow. And dat ship.

I don't agree, I played on hard and truly enjoyed the encounters from chapter 11 to the end. But I guess I can understand how it would be rage inducing though I think Crushing in the first was so much more annoying.

hamchan said:

Well, if the puzzles of this game are the easiest of this world, this thread is full of people really dumb, because a lot of people was stuck in puzzles.

The puzzles are great, much better than in any other Uncharted, even better than most Tomb Raider puzzles.

About the initial chapters, U3 don't have anything like the museum of U2, that is very boring with the mandatory stealth and a very unimpressive level. The initial chapters of U3 don't have anything so shocking as the train start of U2, but are all quite good.

StuBurns

Banned
The more I play, the more I dislike it, I think I'm going to call it quits on the single player. Not sure how far in I am, maybe half way, it had it's moments, but overall, pretty lame.

klier

^ The puzzles are rather easy, all of them.

And the game is WAY too short. I finished it on normal in two evenings playing. Meh!
And I am not going to bother with the multiplayer, so I'm done already :(
Maybe some online co-op, but none of my friends have a PS3/U3.....most have an Xbox only.

Pranay

StuBurns said:
The more I play, the more I dislike it, I think I'm going to call it quits on the single player. Not sure how far in I am, maybe half way, it had it's moments, but overall, pretty lame.

which chap ?

monome

thuway said:
I prefer it Yoshi. Opinions for this will be all over the place. This is more Zelda + MGS4 than Uncharted 2.

Yes, ironically true. But it is supposed to be a shooter though.

Raonak

Banned
klier said:
^ The puzzles are rather easy, all of them.

And the game is WAY too short. I finished it on normal in two evenings playing. Meh!
I found it about the same length as 2.

I started playing at 1pm, finished at 11. normal difficulty. 10 hours.

Uncharted 1, now that was a short game. similiar enviroments didn't help. plus the lack of any multiplayer.

Yoshichan

Well, I didn't get the game. www.spelbutiken.se can suck my horny dick, fucking piece of shit site. Last time I'm buying from them.

klier

monome said:
Yes, ironically true. But it is supposed to be a shooter though.

Yeh, but the shooting/reloading/aiming/cover system etc. all feel vastly inferior to Gears of War 3 to me.
The cover system in GOW3 in particular is SOOOOO much better (take not that I think U3 is a vastly superior game overall)

In the next Uncharted, they have to invest in the core mechanics again, rather than some insane set pieces.

Raonak

Banned
klier said:
Yeh, but the shooting/reloading/aiming/cover system etc. all feel vastly inferior in Gears of War 3 to me.
The cover system in GOW3 in particular is SOOOOO much better (take not that I think U3 is a vastly superior game overall)

In the next Uncharted, they have to invest in the core mechanics again, rather than some insane set pieces.

I would want them to give attention to all the mechanics. platforming especially. I think shooting should be toned down maybe a little bit more, U3 overall had a good balance of things where it could be considered an adventure game, U1 and to a lesser extent, U2 felt primarily like shooters.

TheContact

I received some kind of redeemable code for playing the Uncharted 3 Beta in my e-mail today. I have no idea what it does (it doesn't say!) and unfortunately I won't be playing Uncharted 3 any time soon, so is there anyone out there who has a use for it? I don't mind just giving it away to a fellow GAFFer as long as they don't have it yet.

Jarmel

Banned
StuBurns said:
Not sure which number, but I'm
on a boat, I've just heard him shout Marco with no retort
, maybe chapter 14?

Get through that sequence. The worst is over. The next few chapters are far and away the best in the game.

klier

Raonak said:
I found it about the same length as 2.

I started playing at 1pm, finished at 11. normal difficulty. 10 hours.

Uncharted 1, now that was a short game. similiar enviroments didn't help. plus the lack of any multiplayer.

From memory, it took me longer to finish U2, and U1 for me was the longest of all because all that shooting took a lot of time for me..

I wish they completely take away the MP in the next game, and focus all energy and resources on the single player. U3 felt like U2.2, and there's much better online multiplayer shooters than Uncharted 3 or 2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StuBurns said:

Did you like UC2?

klier

Raonak said:
I would want them to give attention to all the mechanics. platforming especially

Yeah, the platforming is a joke compared to Mario Galaxy (2), just to name the best platforming game ever made in 3D

So...Mario style platforming, Gears style shooting/cover and maybe Batman Arkham City style melee system (and a bit Assasins creed climbing/freedom). Perfect !

All I know is that Naughty Dog has to invest, because the current mechanics will be severely outdated in two years time, when I expect the next Uncharted (PS4 launch?)

rhino4evr

StuBurns said:
Really? Are you just looking for attention or are you serious? I see why some people may be disappointed in a few things about the game, but giving up on it just seems like a forced reaction. The game is by no means so bad that it's not worth finishing.

Raonak

Banned
klier said:
I wish they completely take away the MP in the next game, and focus all energy and resources on the single player. U3 felt like U2.2, and there's much better online multiplayer shooters than Uncharted 3 or 2.

Ok. you clearly haven't played uncharted multiplayer for long. It is very quite one of the few shooters that give you vertical range. The fact you can climb, makes it very unique and very fun.

My second favourite online shooter after metal gear online.(which is also very unique)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:

Keep going.

thuway

JB1981 said:
The storytelling early on is so far ahead of other games that it is almost hard to believe.
Thats awesome to hear. Remember when you said "I might not pick it up," based on other people's posts?

Raonak

Banned
klier said:
Yeah, the platforming is a joke compared to Mario Galaxy (2), just to name the best platforming game ever made in 3D

So...Mario style platforming, Gears style shooting/cover and maybe Batman Arkham City style melee system (and a bit Assasins creed climbing/freedom). Perfect !

not sure, have't played a mario since 64, but basically make the climbing a bit harder, more paths and whatnot. breaking ledges that actually break, etc.

klier said:

All I know is that Naughty Dog has to invest, because the current mechanics will be severely outdated in two years time, when I expect the next Uncharted (PS4 launch?)

Mario style platforming ? in Uncharted?

thuway

Yoshichan said:
I'm super interested in knowing why you think it's Zelda + MGS4 (love both those games/series).

Well my friend, there is alot more exploration. You enter an environment, you are asked to physically explore it, and eventually you have to solve a puzzle.

The MGS comment stems from, there is alot of cut scenes. Probably more than U2. It's all good though because the story is worth it.

monome

klier said:
From memory, it took me longer to finish U2, and U1 for me was the longest of all because all that shooting took a lot of time for me..

Well, I own an Xbox for Halo and a PS3 for Uncharted.
As long as those franchises don't offer episodic content, MP is the only reason that makes me keep the consoles.

klier

Raonak said:
Ok. you clearly haven't played uncharted multiplayer for long. It is very quite one of the few shooters that give you vertical range.

My PS3 name is klier_one, maybe you can check it out somehow on PSN. I have played Uncharted 2 multiplayer for quite some time actually.
But you're right I only played the U3 multiplayer in that beta demo. Not in the final game yet (but I just don't feel compelled, U2 MP could make me sooooo mad)

The climbing and 'vertical levels' are nice though, yeah. But I wanted more of that in the single player.

klier

madmaxx350 said:
Mario style platforming ? in Uncharted?

Mario style is maybe the wrong word. Mario tightness is better....I don't have to see Nathan make a triple jump, no. Nor a backflip/walljump ;-)

klier said:
Mario style is maybe the wrong word. Mario tightness is better.

I don't know, I think it is. I don't see anything in U3 that comes close to a 3D Mario style of platforming or maybe that's me.

aristotle

carfo said:
I received some kind of redeemable code for playing the Uncharted 3 Beta in my e-mail today. I have no idea what it does (it doesn't say!) and unfortunately I won't be playing Uncharted 3 any time soon, so is there anyone out there who has a use for it? I don't mind just giving it away to a fellow GAFFer as long as they don't have it yet.

It's nothing in-game. It's a PSN avatar for playing the beta.

Raonak

Banned
madmaxx350 said:
I don't know, I think it is. I don't see anything in U3 that comes close to a 3D Mario style of platforming or maybe that's me.

yeah, uncharted platforming isn't really platforming in a traditional sense.
since you can grab on edges, falling of them isn't actually a risk. they need to reintegrate the risk in another way.

I wactually really liked the
vertical shooting segments in the castle and the ship yard, where you're climing, then theres people above you that you have to kill. It feels really dynamic.

Top Bottom