• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
2 more hours until I get the game :D

JaseC said:
Motion blur was supposed to be in the retail version of the game, and indeed the effect was present in earlier builds. ND are looking into the issue. I suspect it will return via a patch soon enough.

I seriously doubt it. It's impossible they didn't notice that it was missing before the game went gold. Its absence it's most probably due to performance issues, and the same goes for their choice of an edge blurring algorithm instead of the 2X MSAA they used for U2. The PR quote doesn't mean anything, and you should hold out your breath for a patch; I don't remember any retail console games adding postprocessing effects via patches. In consoles, patches almost exclusively used for improving performance, fixing bugs/glitches and adding content, not for improving IQ.

About chapter 14/15 I think. Some of the chase sequences in this game are incredible. Chasing
Tabbard
for example really reminds me of the rooftop chase in Quantum of Solace for some reason. Being able to play something like that was incredble.

Is it just me btw or is being sneaky really tough in this game?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trunchisholm said:
I seriously doubt it. It's impossible they didn't notice that it was missing before the game went gold. Its absence it's most probably due to performance issues, and the same goes for their choice of an edge blurring algorithm instead of the 2X MSAA they used for U2. The PR quote doesn't mean anything, and you should hold out your breath for a patch; I don't remember any retail console games adding postprocessing effects via patches. In consoles, patches almost exclusively used for improving performance, fixing bugs/glitches and adding content, not for improving IQ.

Arne said the other day that he talked to a few fellow NDs and they seemed surprised that it wasn't in the game, and as has been pointed out it was present in the launch trailer and seemingly present in the particular build ND have around the office (hence why ND were initially insistent that motion blur was in fact implemented in the game). If the effect was removed intentionally, we would have confirmation of that by now.

Edit: I am well learned in the functions of game patches, however what you don't seem to understand is that motion blur was present in the game prior to release and apparently removed erroneously, thus the effect is already supported in the engine; that is to say, there's no need to implement the required code for the effect as it is already present and just not being actively parsed. Obviously, as you suggest, in cases where post-processing effects were removed with reason, it is unreasonable to expect them to return by way of an update.

vesp

Just wrapped up the single player on normal. It's really good, but it definitely is Uncharted 2 with a new setting (pacing, overall game structure, set pieces, etc. are all very, very similar).

The story is kinda dumb, but I did really enjoy trhe exploration of Drake and Sully's relationship and history. I also personally found the whole Drake is a mass murderer thing even more jarring this time around which gets even weirder in a few spots that I wont spoil.

Despite these gripes, it is a great thrill ride with an excellent variety of cool locales, fun characters, some great set pieces, and the best
drug hallucination
sequence since
Max Payne

Raonak

Banned
Just finished it. One awesome sitting. started playing at 1.30 pm, finished at 11.35 pm; so 10 hours for me.

That was awesome. Loved the pace of it. Really refresing, since U2 felt a lot like U1. U3 had a lot of suprised.

I was gonna say something about how drake always manages to survive everything- he must have a horseshoe wedged up his ass; but then i remembered that his belt buckle has a horseshoe on it. :p

Huge improvements on the character models too, everybody looks a little bit nicer, especially chloe.

love it. I like it better than U2 (which i finished again 4 hours before starting U3)

Radec

Charted!

Awesome experience. But honestly UC2 was a better game.

Love the Inception area though. lol

Won't probably plat this game. Died a shitload on hard due to bad aiming or probably just me.

Still, Uncharted 3 is the most beautiful game on consoles ever.

Now onto coop!

Ooh, it's so nice to have Elena back. The game is picking up nicely. The feeling of disappointment has washed away completely and I'm getting used to the aiming now. Can't wait to see what happens next.

patsu

Completed it on Normal.

Some gunfights are indeed frustrating but didn't stop me from pushing ahead. ^_^
Died about 3-5 times per hard battles.

I like U2 better because it's more polished.

U3 is more interesting and more good looking at times.

Jtrizzy

I don't remember U2 as well as I should, but I don't recall anything as compelling as the
ship yard/boat parts
I do recall it being more polished though. This game just looks great though. I'd love to see more of that 60 fps footage in hd. I could watch someone else play through the game with that enabled.

Just got passed chapter 15, has anyone else noticed any sound drop outs or streaming bugs like objects disappearing? Anyway, this game is amazing! The set pieces and the things they have you go through totally blow away the second game, and other games as well.

This may be in my top five of all time, all it needs is some bug patching......

Desmond

I got my EU special edition today. I also got a preorder code for i dont know what. Does the special edition contain all preorder stuff?

Jarmel

Banned
Finished it.

2>3>1

While 3 has higher highs and I mean serious 'holy shit holy shit holy shit' highs, 2 was a better paced work. They also seriously squandered the villains and wasted alot of opportunities to flesh out some of the characters.

IGN was full of shit giving this a 10. It's a great game but the writing for alot of segments was really weak.

laika09

NeoUltima said:
Edit: Wow. Just watched the launch trailer on Uncharted TV. Jesus Christ. Spoils almost everything. I feel bad for anyone that watched it before playing the game. Fuck marketing.

Yeah, was absolutely ridiculous. Do we really need to show half of
chapter 20
on TV before the game's even released?

Oh well. Game was still awesome.

Jarmel

Banned
Raonak said:
I would have given it a 10. They just liked it more than you. (9.5 to u2, 8.5-9 to u1)

There were writing flaws and gaming flaws. And I mean serious ones. I've just brought up the problems I had with the writing in the spoiler thread. As for the gameplay, so much repetition. There was also times were stealth just flat out didn't work.

Radec

Jarmel said:
Finished it.

2>3>1

While 3 has higher highs and I mean serious 'holy shit holy shit holy shit' highs, 2 was a better paced work. They also seriously squandered the villains and wasted alot of opportunities to flesh out some of the characters.

IGN was full of shit giving this a 10. It's a great game but the writing for alot of segments was really weak.
This game still deserves the 10s though.

laika09

Jarmel said:
There were writing flaws and gaming flaws. And I mean serious ones. I've just brought up the problems I had with the writing in the spoiler thread. As for the gameplay, so much repetition. There was also times were stealth just flat out didn't work.

Uncharted 1 and 2 were waaaay more repetitive than this game. As someone who's generally lukewarm about shooters and enjoys exploration, this game was paced brilliantly.

Raonak

Banned
laika09 said:
Uncharted 1 and 2 were waaaay more repetitive than this game.

Agreed. This balanced out the shooting with a good amount of downtime.
I was suprised when I entered a new area- and there WEREN'T enemies there.

Jarmel

Banned
laika09 said:
Uncharted 1 and 2 were waaaay more repetitive than this game. As someone who's generally lukewarm about shooters and enjoys exploration, this game was paced brilliantly.

And I knocked those games for it too. 2 atleast to me wasn't that bad in regards to the locked door scenario. There was alot of forced scenarios for example with the melee brutes. Enemy animations (or lack thereof) to bullet damage was horrible and the AI was as well at times.

Jarmel said:
And I knocked those games for it too. There was alot of forced scenarios for example with the melee brutes. Enemy animations (or lack thereof) to bullet damage was horrible and the AI was as well at times.

Your really reaching aren't you......

Jarmel

Banned
KeioSquad2 said:
Your really reaching aren't you......

It's a goddamn shooter. Enemy AI and animations are fucking crucial. The brute sections after the 2nd time was boring as shit and just a waste of time. I would also love to see if somebody got through the
ballroom using stealth on the ship
. That shit was near rigged on Hard.

leng jai

jett said:
I have to agree that the sound design in that part was just bad. It took away from the moment. I think overall the sound mix in the game is not up to snuff.

In what world is it not up to snuff? Have you heard what crap other games serve up in the audio department?

-Amon-

Jarmel said:
It's a goddamn shooter. Enemy AI and animations are fucking crucial. The brute sections after the 2nd time was boring as shit and just a waste of time. I would also love to see if somebody got through the ballroom using stealth on the ship. That shit was near rigged on Hard.

Avoid location spoilers in this thread thanks.

I'd say the Uncharted franchise is much more than a shooter however.

Jarmel

Banned
-Amon- said:
Avoid location spoilers in this thread thanks.

I'd say the Uncharted franchise is much more than a shooter however.

It's something that has been out for the longest time now. However I'll spoiler it anyway.

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:
It's a goddamn shooter. Enemy AI and animations are fucking crucial. The brute sections after the 2nd time was boring as shit and just a waste of time. I would also love to see if somebody got through the ballroom using stealth on the ship. That shit was near rigged on Hard.

I didn't find anything wrong about the AI, they flank you a lot more though. constantly have to move. The lack of bullet damage animation was weird. Made it harder, since enemies don't get stunned as easily.

Not sure about the stealth, i didn't manage to successfuly stealth, but i played u2 earlier, and fudged all the stealth bits there too. im loosing my patience :|
though, i wouldn't be too suprised if they made their feild of vision bigger on harder difficulties, i remember U2's crushing being a cakewalk because of stealth.

Pranay

At First i thought the pacing was off but holy shit Chap 6 was awesome but 7 8 9 , the game shows why it was my most anticipated game.

Awesome mix of exploration , puzzles , gunfights

Jarmel

Banned
Raonak said:
I didn't find anything wrong about the AI, they flank you a lot more though. constantly have to move. The lack of bullet damage animation was weird. Made it harder, since enemies don't get stunned as easily.

Not sure about the stealth, i didn't manage to successfuly stealth, but i played u2 earlier, and fudged all the stealth bits there too. im loosing my patience :|
though, i wouldn't be too suprised if they made their feild of vision bigger on harder difficulties, i remember U2's crushing being a cakewalk because of stealth.

The AI in quite a few cases would just flat out rush you. They did do flanking which I enjoyed.

patsu

Jarmel said:
The AI in quite a few cases would just flat out rush you. They did do flanking which I enjoyed.

Rushing AI is fine. It would be boring if every AI hide behind an obstacle like U2. The problem is they tuned the AI too hard. If the AI is slightly easier, then U3 combat is actually more interesting/varied than U2.

Jeramii

Banned
So I'm around chapter 7 or 8. Forgot where I left off at.

**I'm going to block out what I'm about to say, even though its not really any kind of spoiler. Just a vague comment on plot development thus far in the game.**

I really hope the game gets a little less predictable. The story has followed the same formula as Uncharted 1 and 2 so far. Go into quiet area, find something I meant to find, walk back out. SURPRISE enemies waiting for you, and due to random circumstances something will bail you out of the scenario but put you into another deadly scenario. (trying to stay semi vague)

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast and am loving so much about this game. But I really hope there are major plot twists ahead. The beginning featured one thing I wasn't expecting, but my girlfriend predicted it. I try not to over think when playing the game to make it a more enjoyable ride. I just really hope shit gets nuts. Naughty Dog hasn't failed me in this series yet... So I remain hopeful!

Jarmel said:
It's a goddamn shooter. Enemy AI and animations are fucking crucial. The brute sections after the 2nd time was boring as shit and just a waste of time. I would also love to see if somebody got through the
ballroom using stealth on the ship
. That shit was near rigged on Hard.

Yea I forgot,
next time I'm on a capsizing boat fighting a 20 foot wave trying to keep from drowning
I'll be sure to bring a kal-7.

Enemy animations are far above those in other games, when i get a knee shot in, they go down on one knee, head shots knock them completely back, that's good enough for me. Also, I haven't been bored once!

Charted.

As an overall package: single player, multi-player and co-op, this game delivers in spades. There is a slight sense that the game was rushed a little bit, but this doesn‘t seem to have had much of a serious effect on the overall quality. There are a few minor things that I would like to see patched in later and I would love to see what ND can do with an extra year or two to really polish up their product.

Subjectively: judging purely by personal taste/opinion, I can see how any score from 7-10 is justified. Personally, I give it a 9.5.

Objectively: judging purely on a quality basis without personal taste/opinion entering into the equation, there’s no denying this game is A - A+ quality.

Jarmel

Banned
patsu said:
Rushing AI is fine. It would be boring if every AI hide behind an obstacle like U2. The problem is they tuned the AI too hard. If the AI is slightly easier, then U3 combat is actually more interesting/varied than U2.

That's fine, however when they don't take bullet damage, it's seem like they were just trying to force more opportunities for the melee system.

KeioSquad2 said:
Yea I forgot,
next time I'm on a capsizing boat fighting a 20 foot wave trying to keep from drowning
I'll be sure to bring a kal-7.

Enemy animations are far above those in other games, when i get a knee shot in, they go down on one knee, head shots knock them completely back, that's good enough for me. Also, I haven't been bored once!

I never said it was only a shooter. It still has a heavy shooting element to it thus making it a shooter.

Raonak

Banned
Jarmel said:

I was under the impression the big guys were always programmed to run and try melee you.

Pranay

Syria
level was awesome.

Perfect mix of puzzles, exploration and shooting

And Hell Gameplay was quite fun.

Open Levels allowed me to mix up a lot of stuff which was great

Neiteio

I'm on Caravan right now... and wow does this game become something truly great around the the time of the Yemen chase, followed by the ship yard, the rough seas, the boat, the plane, the desert, the settlement... It's the equivalent of UC2 picking up steam around Nepal and continuing through the train ride, the mountains, etc. I have aiming sensitivity maxed out now, and that coupled with the open-ended design of the ship made the gunfights there absolutely incredible. I think if I were to replay this on an easier difficulty with aiming sensitivity maxed and full knowledge of all the puzzles that stumped me before, it could be a very smooth experience. I do hope they patch in new aiming options, and that a cutscene viewer becomes available if there's not one hidden in the game already. Also, the Yemen chase should've been its own chapter for easier replayability.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just a minute or two until I get this game :D Can't wait to see if it's better than U2.

Yoshichan

ScOULaris said:
It's not, bruh.
Who are you and why are you trying to decide my own opinion?! I didn't even like U2 more than GAF did :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yoshichan said:
Just a minute or two until I get this game :D Can't wait to see if it's better than U2.
It's a great game, but it won't make the same impression as Uncharted 2 did in 2009. But some of the levels are much better than anything in Uncharted 2.

Footos22

Got my new 3D plasma this weekend. Got this game last night.

Played about 40 mins in 3d before i went to bed and have to say its fucking outstanding.
Avatar of gaming? I would easily agree.

Smashing toilet lid over goons head and seeing the debris fly out at you
was brilliant.

any significant compromises running in 3D? lower detail, performance etc?

Ive not played in 2d yet to notice any differences but i cant see any drop in res like their was in killzone 3 and what made resistance 3 in 3d look like a ps2 game. Just play it in 3D it looks bloody glorious.

thuway

Yoshichan said:
I prefer it Yoshi. Opinions for this will be all over the place. This is more Zelda + MGS4 than Uncharted 2.

Raonak

Banned
Yoshichan said:
It is, bro.

In reality it could go either way, it's a definete change of pace, i could see people ranking it lower due to there being lots of downtime.

Top Bottom