• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Thrakier

LowEndTorque said:
I don't know if it's just me, but the MP seems to be playing much better than the subway beta. Aiming and hit-detection feels spot-on to me and blindfire is far less of an annoyance now.

Arne et. al., if you are reading please ignore the complaints about stopping power. Listening to these complaints is what led to 1.05 and ruined UC2 for most people. The health and stopping power is fine, it's the speed of movement that is the problem.

It#s great fun anyway but it's lagging like the devil right now.

WebScud

dwebo said:
- The stealth issues, specifically the
cruise ship interior
section that was mentioned a page or two back. I kept trying it over and over, because it looked like there should've been a valid stealth path through there, but the guy on the left would reach his spot, turn around and just stay there.
- Had issues backjumping off holds the entire game, though more in the
first half
where it's asked for more often. I actually ended up using sixaxis for those, which I don't remember resorting to in U2.

I had some problems there too. With the
boat graveyard and cruise ship interior
stealth sequences, I would get closer and closer to taking out everyone and then making a mistake. After a dozen or so tries on each, I gave up and took them out with guns. Harder with the former.

With the back jumping, I think my issues were when the item I was jumping from was moving.

Jarmel

Banned
dwebo said:
- The stealth issues, specifically the
cruise ship interior
section that was mentioned a page or two back. I kept trying it over and over, because it looked like there should've been a valid stealth path through there, but the guy on the left would reach his spot, turn around and just stay there. edit: the funny part is this was demo'd on fallon I think, and I swear they stealthed through that entire segment fine.

This was absolute bullshit. I literally tried this 10 different ways and nothing worked. I would snap the guy at the top's neck then quickly snap the other guy's neck before he turned around. The bullshit part is that the middle guy is automatically alterted no matter what. It's fucking ridiculous.

After finishing the game my opinion hasn't really changed much. It does get better, specifically from chapters 16 onwards but overall it's disappointing. 2 is the better game for me.

Quick thoughts:
-Elena discovered mascara and maybe gel liner.
-The cast are still enjoyable to play through a game with.
-As much as I like pretty much the entire cast, I enjoyed the stronger focus on Drake and Sully's relationship this time around.
-The lack of bullet impact and to a lesser extent the aggressive AI ruins most combat scenarios because I can't hold off an enemy assault if bullets don't slow them.
-It feels like there are less gunfights this time, but there's always re-enforcements. It's tedious after a while. Lots of games do it, U3 went too far.
-When Drake said "I'm sick of these assholes[enemies]" he wasn't the only one that felt that way.
-Combat has changed but not really evolved. It feels clunkier this time if anything.
-Set pieces can't survive on what's happening alone. It has to be exciting to play through. The
cruise ship
really wasn't for me, despite it looking fantastic.
-Chapters 16 onwards were more exciting to play through.
-The level of polish doesn't match U2 in any department bar the visuals.
-Difficulty didn't feel smooth. It never got bad, but it felt kind of all over the place.
-You can shoot the window out in the
cruise ship and it will flood and kill you.
-Marco solo.
-I thank ND for their restraint RE:
supernatural enemies. They're there, but there's only a few and they aren't that bad. Although demon grenades, really?

I hope ND switch it up for their next game. I'll still be there when Uncharted comes back, but I hope it gets a break to work some stuff out and we get a new game in the mean time.

Its a very good game, but its just not GOTY material like UC2 was. The shooting is janky, the stealth is hit or miss, and the melee is a glorified QTE, but now it takes longer, with half a dozen "brute" boss fights they have the same damn animations over and over. Its a testament to the storytelling, visuals, set pieces, and great animations that the game is still great even with less then stellar gameplay. I actually want to replay all the UC games now, just to spend more time with these characters.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
monome said:
Has any big Gaming Site stated the difficult aiming in its review?

I can't remember that specific point stated.
Not a single one has commented that it feels different from the second game. I wonder if this was some kind of big that has seeped into the retail build :/ Much like how seemingly noone at ND knew that retail game has no motion blur. Hell, I got a tweet response from Evan Wells stating that game definitely does have MB.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lord Error said:
Not a single one has commented that it feels different from the second game. I wonder if this was some kind of big that has seeped into the retail build :/ Much like how seemingly noone at ND QA saw are that retail game has no motion blur. Hell, I got a tweet response from Evan Wells stating that game definitely does have MB.
Maybe we'll get a motion bur/aiming fix patch. Best patch ever.

dwebo

WebScud said:
With the back jumping, I think my issues were when the item I was jumping from was moving.
Hmm, maybe that was it. Those were the cases where I noticed it most.

Jarmel said:
This was absolute bullshit. I literally tried this 10 different ways and nothing worked. I would snap the guy at the top's neck then quickly snap the other guy's neck before he turned around. The bullshit part is that the middle guy is automatically alterted no matter what. It's fucking ridiculous.
:lol yep.

It was the e3 demo, not fallon. And there were only two guys, with the second not turning around even.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwywuVzrJTg&t=49s

The Chef

The dialogue and interaction between characters is just so bind boggling. In ever cut scene I find myself just so enamored I realize if this game was just a 3 hour movie I'd be happy with that.

monome

Lord Error said:
Not a single one has commented that it feels different from the second game. I wonder if this was some kind of big that has seeped into the retail build :/ Much like how seemingly noone at ND knew that retail game has no motion blur. Hell, I got a tweet response from Evan Wells stating that game definitely does have MB.

Oh I believe they are chicken afraid to displease Sony/ND or afraid to admit they suck at aiming. Much easier to stab the game for its Hubris rather than say : Sorry dude but isn't the shooting a little sub-par for such glorious game?

Radec

Man, I miss the old UC2 shooting and FAL.

Tried coop arena earlier and can't properly shoot enemies even with the burst rifle(forgot the name).

I always get a ratio of 50+ headshots/game in UC2 coop but now I can barely made 10.

Or maybe it's just me. :/

Chapter 5 done and honestly is vastly superior to UC2. Animation, lighting, the story, camera angles, etc has taken a step forward from an already impressive stoop. The aim is no doubt different but not necessarily bad in anyway.

Replicant

Only up to Chapter 5/6 (going into forest now). Quick impression:

+ Packaging is insanely good:

KfKtk.jpg

+ The game story flows nicely with some neat surprise.
+ I like the interaction between the characters so far.
+ The first firefight was fun even though I had slight problem with control.

- Controller is not as precise as I'd like it to be. This is both when walking and aiming.
- The graphic feels a bit off especially in the flashback part. The colors are vibrant but maybe too vibrant. I don't expect greys and blacks but toning down the color a bit may help to create a bit more realism. As it is now, that section felt a bit like I was walking around in fake city surrounded with mannequin people. Definitely not as impressive as Nepal in UC2.

JB1981

The Chef said:
The dialogue and interaction between characters is just so bind boggling. In ever cut scene I find myself just so enamored I realize if this game was just a 3 hour movie I'd be happy with that.

My thoughts exactly. It is such high quality.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Playing as
young Drake
was pretty damn cool.
It's something I'm positive I'll fondly remember for a time to come. Visuals, music, everything there was just so good.

Pranay

Game is awesome.

At the start i had a lot of complaints, but its really awesome !

Honestly dont get its uncharted 2.5 , cause the first 12 chapters are totally different

Pranay

DangerousDave said:
You are playing it wrong. In this game, they promote the movility of the player, instead of standing in a cover, kill all nearer guys, advance a new cover, kill all nearer guys.

In this one, people is more aggresive and they will come faster to your cover, or they will fill you with granades... but in the other way, enemy snipers are much harmless that in other uncharteds (were they kill you after 2 seconds of pointing you), and the melee and stealth system makes easier to rush to other covers even if they're guarded.

Always that I got stuck in any shooting scene was because I was not moving enough and I simply got covered and tried to kill all the guys. When I decided to move through the battlefield, the shooting became easier.

+1

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm up to Chapter 13 at the moment, and absolutely loving the game. It feels as if its paced very differently from U2, and i don't mind that. I actually do like that there are so many quiet moments in the game. Those exploration/puzzle segments are a lot of fun.

The chateau was absolutely BRILLIANT, and I'm sure the rest of the game will overshadow it, but so far, that is the part that has really blown me away so far.

StuBurns

Banned
thetrin said:
The chateau was absolutely BRILLIANT, and I'm sure the rest of the game will overshadow it, but so far, that is the part that has really blown me away so far.
That was the highlight for me so far certainly, very cool, till the end anyway.

Pranay

I found Syria better then Cheatue because upto that level the game was set piece and lots of scripted moments, so it was refreshing for me at that.

I loved chap 10 as well

jax (old)

Banned
for some reason; drake is pissing me off in UC3. I actually see the "stew drunk comments".

a) always seem to be touching walls ... even when you're not near it. I don't know what they were thinking. Noticed it with
kid drake
but its still here now.

b) running animation looks off. I NEVER thought that with UC1+2. he keeps looking left right every 2-3 steps and it just looks weird. I don't recall any of this with the previous 2 games. The amount of lean on way makes it look like he is going right or left... try finding somewhere to run towards the camera and you can just see it.

this is greatly annoying me.

Oneself

So far I am quite amazed. Naughty Dog surprised me again
with young Drake

Aiming and controls in general feel clunkier than U&U2 though... and I'm having rare clipping issues at times (IIRC in non-playable parts), the game pauses for half a second in weird places. Loading I guess but... not that well planned.
Anyways, other than that, I really miss the motion blur. Why the fucks isn't it in there??
Also, what happened to the focus effects we've seen countless times in previews??... and in Uncharted 2 in fact...

StuBurns

Banned
Pranay_ said:
I found Syria better then Cheatue because upto that level the game was set piece and lots of scripted moments, so it was refreshing for me at that.

I loved chap 10 as well
I've only just got there, cleared the first area out, looking forward to it. I really liked the design of that first encounter there.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, that was ages ago, I'm on chapter 19. I did like the Citadel though.

BeeDog

Reached the part in chapter 7/8 (I think) in
Syria
where the
baddies pepper your posse with RPG's.
Game's really great so far, but the aiming is still a bit wonky and too heavy-handed. Have gotten used to it somewhat though, so I've acquired some headshot trophy or two.

StuBurns said:
That was the highlight for me so far certainly, very cool, till the end anyway.

So what did you think about the boat level , to me that's my highlight i just love the whole thing .

EDIT had some good co op games yesterday with some rnds.
Also a few bugs where i get stuck and had to kill my self to move forward .

Callibretto said:
in chapter 2, does it make anyone wish for a point an click adventure game look like this?

It'd actually be kind of fun, now that you think about it. Being able to simply interact with everything in that chapter would be cool.

To be honest though, even if it were dlc or maybe a Vita title, I'd love to have another game based around Chapters 2&3.

StuBurns

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
So what did you think about the boat level , to me that's my highlight i just love the whole thing .
One thing I didn't like about it was the one guy who you can't melee. I thought the worst part of UC2 was the train guy who magically was harder to kill, and they kind of pulled the same crap again. To beat him I basically broke his AI by running around him in circles so he couldn't shoot or kick me and hip fired till he died, very irritating. Overall I quite liked that section, I like most of the game really beyond the first few levels. The boat was very low on set pieces and cutscenes till the end, which was really great. There was a nice combat puzzle when you first get out their too, larger than any I remember in UC1/2, I could be wrong there though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Auron_Kale said:
It'd actually be kind of fun, now that you think about it. Being able to simply interact with everything in that chapter would be cool.

To be honest though, even if it were dlc or maybe a Vita title, I'd love to have another game based around Chapters 2&3.
A Vita or PSN game based around
Young Nate
would be an awesome idea for a spinoff game series.

cameron

Finished it last night on hard. Like the previous two games, my desire for more Uncharted is never quite satisfied when the game ends. I plan to do a crushing run later this week.

Gameplay thoughts:

The puzzles aren't harder, but they are much better designed and much more interesting and memorable than UC2/UC1.

Platforming, as a traversal mechanic, was decent most of the time. Some areas even had different paths you could take. One grievance I have is with sections where you weren't allowed to drop down or jump off a ledge in the direction you wanted. You only had two options: go back to a previous ledge or jump in the direction of the next ledge. These few areas are just like the poor platforming found in the game Enslaved. The restrictions in movement are unnecessary. If I want to jump off in a random direction to my death or lose a bunch of platforming progress, let me do it. The risk should always be there, imo.

The melee combat can feel awkward sometimes. I think this is an issue with polish. Also, the QTE prompts seem unnecessary. Gunplay would have been a bit better if the only enemies who rushed you were the ones who could take a lot of hits. It doesn't make sense for the weaker enemies to come up to you since they go down so easily and aren't really a threat. It feels like their only existence is to give you ammo.

Optional Stealth was a lot of fun and very satisfying. I went with the observe and then trial and error approach. There were areas where I couldn't figure out how to do completely in stealth, though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oneself said:
Also, what happened to the focus effects we've seen countless times in previews??... and in Uncharted 2 in fact...
DOF is still there both in cutscenes and when you're aiming, much like in UC2.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Outtrigger888 said:
I got the same tv and love it, played the beta in 3d and the depth was great. It does decrease the visuals but looks good. Pick up god of war psp remakes if you wanna see the best 3d

Sweet. Thanks.

The Chef

cameron said:
The puzzles aren't harder, but they are much better designed and much more interesting and memorable than UC2/UC1.

I don't really remember UC1&2 had more difficult puzzles but I do agree these ones are far more memorable. So incredibly well thought out. Like in Chapter 11
The room with all the body parts on poles everywhere. Using the lantern to cast the shadow of the guy with the spear on the wall.
BRILLIANT.

Tuck

I hate how if enemies see you when you are trying to be stealthy, and you die, you don't get another chance - when the game restarts the enemies already know you are there. Wasn't like that in U2.

The Chef said:
I don't really remember UC1&2 had more difficult puzzles but I do agree these ones are far more memorable. So incredibly well thought out. Like in Chapter 11
The room with all the body parts on poles everywhere. Using the lantern to cast the shadow of the guy with the spear on the wall.
BRILLIANT.

Fucking hated this puzzle. Tedious as fuck.

UV-6

Currently on chapter 20. The previous few chapters were so mind-blowing. Haven't felt like that since UC2 funnily enough. Can't wait to finish it tonight.

Top Bottom