• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Pranay

StuBurns said:
Sorry Jett, been trying but I can't get online to check, can't find a ticket or something, piece of shit.

Their are 2 codes voucher givens i think, its placed along with the map.

You need to enter both of them i think

Mr. Sam

Anyone planning on playing online any time soon? I'm in desperate need of friends on PSN. My name's ProfessorSam for reference.

RoboPlato said:
A Vita or PSN game based around
Young Nate
would be an awesome idea for a spinoff game series.

Seriously. Chapters 2 & 3 were so much damn fun to play that I was hoping for more, but alas...

Arne, or anyone else at Naughty Dog, make this spinoff game happen for either the PSN or Vita please. :D

Lingitiz

Mr. Sam said:
Anyone planning on playing online any time soon? I'm in desperate need of friends on PSN. My name's ProfessorSam for reference.
I'll play although I don't have a mic at the moment.

PSN: Geflato

Has anyone been able to acquire the "Sidearm Master" trophy? I swear Ive killed 30 dudes using only whatever pistol(s) Im carrying. Im guessing you cant melee anyone during this, but do player deaths fuck up the count as well? Can it spread over the course of more than one chapter?

JumpingTheGun said:
Has anyone been able to acquire the "Sidearm Master" trophy? I swear Ive killed 30 dudes using only whatever pistol(s) Im carrying. Im guessing you cant melee anyone during this, but do player deaths fuck up the count as well?

Haven't gotten it yet, but I'd assume that player deaths screw up the count since you have to have a killstreak with just using pistols. Not sure if melee into gunning enemies down at the end would screw up the streak either.

StuBurns

Banned
Pranay_ said:
Their are 2 codes voucher givens i think, its placed along with the map.

You need to enter both of them i think
Yeah, I entered them both, and they both appeared to work, maybe it didn't.

Auron_Kale said:
Haven't gotten it yet, but I'd assume that player deaths screw up the count since you have to have a killstreak with just using pistols. Not sure if melee into gunning enemies down at the end would screw up the streak either.

Ok cool thats what Im thinking. I scored "Survivor" and "Reload Master" last night. The latter was actually slightly harder than you'd think, especially killing 50 guys for it. Not quite the pain in the ass that 'Rolling Ammo Master" was though.

Manp

just played some coop.

protect the statue you say... what would you think random people would do after retrying and failing in the same damn spot for six times because you keep trowing endless waves of cheap enemies and rocket launchers? uhm ND?

quit in frustration so the next time i'll have to start from scratch? yep. but can i blame them?

eh...

jett

D-Member
Stuburns: oh well. I might end up buying the fortune pack thing anyway, I'm too into the multiplayer not to.

There are some serious touches of a rushed deadline in this game, just weird little stuff. Despite continuing from chapter 22 the continue icon will show chapter 21. Also I've got two hard lockdowns while playing the game. Eh...

Manp said:
just played some coop.

protect the statue you say... what would you think random people would do after retrying and failing in the same damn spot for six times because you keep trowing endless waves of cheap enemies and rocket launchers? uhm ND?

quit in frustration so the next time i'll have to start from scratch? yep. but can i blame them?

eh...

Heh. You should play on crushing, and then complain about difficulty. :p

bob page

iamshadowlark said:
Chapter 5 done and honestly is vastly superior to UC2. Animation, lighting, the story, camera angles, etc has taken a step forward from an already impressive stoop. The aim is no doubt different but not necessarily bad in anyway.
I really don't see it. Maybe in the facial detail, but otherwise, it looks less polished than Uncharted 2 (at least to the point where I'm at). Animations, especially when running around and knocking into stuff, can be janky at times, too.

The aliasing is extremely distracting, too. I just got to the French forest and the jaggies are ridiculous.

dwebo

bob page said:
The aliasing is extremely distracting, too. I just got to the France forest and the jaggies are ridiculous.
The lighting at the beginning there was fantastic, though. Dappled sunlight goodness made me go wow.

bob page

dwebo said:
The lighting at the beginning there was fantastic, though. Dappled sunlight goodness made me go wow.
To be honest, no matter how great other parts of that area look, the aliasing completely ruins it. I don't remember a chapter in Uncharted 2 that had as many jaggies.

dwebo

bob page said:
To be honest, no matter how great other parts of that area look, the aliasing completely ruins it. I don't remember a chapter in Uncharted 2 that had as many jaggies.
Yeah I dunno, aliasing doesn't normally bother me much, and I didn't find it an issue in U3 at all. Maybe it's my TV (or my eyesight).

bob page

dwebo said:
Yeah I dunno, aliasing doesn't normally bother me much, and I didn't find it an issue in U3 at all. Maybe it's my TV (or my eyesight).
I'll try messing around with my TV settings later. With my TV's current settings, however, aliasing was never an issue with U2.

rhino4evr

I think they should change the name of this site to NeoBitchfest.

I can't believe how many negative nitpicking comments are in this thread.

People complaining about the Graphics now? Seriously, what the fuck?

As someone who was playing Uncharted 2 pretty much once a week since it came out (and not even multiplayer, just certain chapters from the campaign), I have to say U3 does most things better.

The story, the voice acting, the animation, the diverse locales (desert > snow), the character chemistry, the graphics, the controls.... I will say that I found the shooting a bit more challenging this time than with U2 but I'm not entirely sure why. I think the maneuvering is more sensitive or something. I'm not sure. But that's the first thing I noticed.

Also this game reminded me of how the series kinda sticks to a formula of "get in, fight enemies, run out before the place caves in" since that happened about six different times here. All three games have it pretty frequently, but I don't really have an issue with it. Uncharted does that really, really fucking well.

Also I need to give the developers credit for actually getting the Arabic language RIGHT. I get annoyed at games like Call of Duty that have terrible voice actors butcher the language, and of course Arabic writing gets butchered as well. I was really, really fucking impressed by how they subtly layered Arabic culture over the environments, so they deserve full credit for that. Also Sailm was completely believable as an Arabic character. Not one trace of the "Sayid Jarrah factor," as I call it.

Long story short I will be playing this game pretty much all the time. Also I would like to do nasty things to Nathan Drake. I know he's not real but that won't stop me.

Mr. Sam

I'm struggling with the matchmaking on this. I'm not sure how quick you level up, or what sort of scale the levels are on, but I keep getting drawn with people that are way higher level than me. I normally hold my own alright, but just now there was a level 49 guy on the opposite team. The guy absolutely wrecked; got over half of his teams kills. I killed him once. I just felt exasperated at the end of the game.

bob page

rhino4evr said:
I think they should change the name of this site to NeoBitchfest.

I can't believe how many negative nitpicking comments are in this thread.

People complaining about the Graphics now? Seriously, what the fuck?
Uncharted 2 looked pretty pristine and set a new standard for consoles. This, however... it's almost like a downgrade. It seems like it suffers from the same issue as GTA4, where the IQ varies greatly depending on the time of day / lighting.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
bob page said:
Uncharted 2 looked pretty pristine and set a new standard for consoles. This, however... it's almost like a downgrade. It seems like it suffers from the same issue as GTA4, where the IQ varied greatly depending on the time of day / lighting.
You're letting your love of U2 get in the way of your better judgement.

cackhyena

bob page said:
Uncharted 2 looked pretty pristine and set a new standard for consoles. This, however... it's almost like a downgrade. It seems like it suffers from the same issue as GTA4, where the IQ varies greatly depending on the time of day / lighting.
Jesus, you cant be serious. You people are fucking crazy.

Pranay

bob page said:

Hope you were sarcastic o_o

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
bob page said:
This game has better graphics than U2.

Rose colored glasses?

wow, everything went from this game being the game of this generation to the worst animations and shooting ever created?

For me, the shooting does seem a bit off. Hasnt really stopped me from almost beating it in two days. I just cant put down the controller. I have yet to get into multiplayer, but that was where my biggest gripe was in the subway beta. The shooting felt wrong, and it only seems to get good when you level up past 28 and can get better gun perks for aiming. I dont really agree with that.

When i read all gaffers impression about chapter 12, i thought this is the typical gaf hyperbole. I was gladly surprised to see the hype matches the game. What a chapter.
I have never seen such fluid and water effect so realistic in a game, Poseidon in GOW3 not withstanding.

dwebo

cackhyena said:
Jesus, you cant be serious. You people are fucking crazy.
Quite a few people have mentioned the aliasing, though, or at least I've seen it pop up numerous times in various threads.

bob page

Pranay_ said:
Hope you were sarcastic o_o
Nope, not sarcastic at all. Uncharted 2 blew me away and I couldn't find any issues with the graphics. In fact, I wouldn't have minded if they didn't change the graphics engine at all for Uncharted 3. But they obviously changed something and it's not impressing me the way I hoped it would (again, due to the aliasing). I've seen it mentioned by other people, too, so I know I'm not the only one.

I'll take a screenshot of how it looks on my TV when I get home later.

But don't get me wrong, the main characters look incredible. Like I said, I'm only a few hours in, so my opinion will likely change as I progress.

I'm in chapter 6 (I think)......

DAMN....those ANTS!! GAHHHH...I hate creepy crawlies!! Eww eww eww. I felt I like need a bath after that.

jett

D-Member
Charted! - Crushing

Instead of rushing like a maniac and finishing it one day, I spread my crushing run over 4 days, definitely had a much better time with the campaign. Took my time with it, explored stuff looking for treasures(still missing about 30), and there was no hype to live up as I knew what I expected. Definitely was able to appreciate for what it is. It's for sure an excellent rollercoaster and a worthy addition to the franchise.

Crushing was pretty easy btw, in fact I pretty much breezed through several spots that had given me a great deal of trouble in the game. Preparation is key in this game, with the right weapons certain situations become easier to handle.

I guess all is left in SP is to gather treasure and trophies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Soulscribe said:
Also I would like to do nasty things to Nathan Drake. I know he's not real but that won't stop me.
tumblr_ltli98n9YE1qzy4n9.gif

jett said:
Charted! - Crushing

Instead of rushing like a maniac and finishing it one day, I spread my crushing run over 4 days, definitely had a much better time with the campaign. Took my time with it, explored stuff looking for treasures(still missing about 30), and there was no hype to live up as I knew what I expected. Definitely was able to appreciate for what it is. It's for sure an excellent rollercoaster and a worthy addition to the franchise.

Crushing was pretty easy btw, in fact I pretty much breezed through several spots that had given me a great deal of trouble in the game. Preparation is key in this game, with the right weapons certain situations become easier to handle.

How do you deal with grenade spam on crushing? I had to lower the difficulty from hard to normal due to grenade spams.

gdt

I'm becoming such a boss in the MP here. M9 <3

Also doing a hard run, then I'm gonna do a Crushing/Plat run on each game. Lots of Uncharted coming my way.

The Chef

Marius_ said:
you throw the grenades back

I love this mechanic. Im usually stoked when they toss one at me - instant kill for them when I throw it back.
If they throw more than I can handle I just dive-roll to a different spot. Never really had a lot of problems with that honestly.

gdt

Oh, PSN id gdt5016, add me! Wanna get to playing with GAFfers, gonna pick up a headset this weekend. Actually, any good/cheap ones that I could order from Amazon?

The Chef said:
Nicely done. I was curious how difficult Crushing would actually be considering Hard doesn't feel too crazy at all.
Yea, hard hasn't been too bad. I expect it to get crazy later in the game. Only on Chapter 14.

Crushing on UC2 was much easier than UC1. I expect about the same in this game.

ScOULaris

The Chef said:
I love this mechanic. Im usually stoked when they toss one at me - instant kill for them when I throw it back.
If they throw more than I can handle I just dive-roll to a different spot. Never really had a lot of problems with that honestly.
The problem is that you have no control over where Drake throws it. I've tapped Triangle to return the grenade, pointed the camera towards a bad guy, and then watched Drake toss the grenade straight into a wall two feet away. This happens about 40% of the times that I throw back grenades. Feels badman.

gdt

ScOULaris said:
The problem is that you have no control over where Drake throws it. I've tapped Triangle to return the grenade, pointed the camera towards a bad guy, and then watched Drake toss the grenade straight into a wall two feet away. This happens about 40% of the times that I throw back grenades. Feels badman.

I think that Drake throws it wherever the camera is pointed when you press the button, not right after.

D6AMIA6N

Game is awesome.

About to start Chapter 16. Playing on hard, and to me, the game has been easy, almost too easy. For all the complaints regarding specific heavy combat areas, there has always been a way to negate the AI's advantage in numbers.

For example, you can always use climbing surfaces as cover, shooting with one hand, hanging on with the other. Or when there are multiple armored shotgun soldiers. Kill one, and then use the sawed off, kills them in 2 shots. The grenade throw back is also useful, generally returning a grenade will kill, if not weaken an enemy so you can one shot them.

Overall, I feel so far, UC1 was much more difficult.

EDIT: Also, as I stated before, and others have commented, Elena's facial changes, in my opinion, were completely unecessary, and frankly a little disappointing.

ScOULaris said:

You don't have control of the trajectory but you do have over the general area depending on where you face the camera.

jett

D-Member
Beam said:
How do you deal with grenade spam on crushing? I had to lower the difficulty from hard to normal due to grenade spams.
Evading throwing back every grenade I can? I didn't feel grenade spam was that much different from UC2, anyway.

jett said:
Charted! - Crushing

I'm going through it again as well and I think I appreciate it even more the second time. You mentioned that some things look like they were rushed and I agree with that but when you look at the body of work ND was able to accomplish in 2 years its absolutely staggering. Going through the early levels and noticing the amount of detail and knowing how much more there still is blows me away at the work ethic of the team.

Beam said:

If your getting killed by grenades your not moving around enough.

Top Bottom