• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

The Chef

I had to leave for work this morning just as I got to Chapter 12. I need to fake a flu or something, this wait is killing me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just finished it on Hard with a total playtime of somewhere at the higher end of the 9 hour ballpark. Some thoughts:

- As some reviewers noted, the game does tend to hand-hold more often than it ought to due to the focus on "cinematic storytelling" - there are some moments where the game takes control away from the player that leave you wondering "Why not let me play through that sequence and then cut to the story progression?", but this didn't detract from the overall experience.

- While I liked that
the de facto father/son relationship between Sully and Nate was explored
, limiting this to a single brief chapter was very disappointing. There are a handful of points in the game that provided sufficient excuse to again dive into Nate's subconscious for a history lesson, but these weren't utilised.
As Sully himself said upon meeting Nate: he had "a lot to learn". Their history together is most definitely an aspect that deserved more attention
, not to mention such an approach would have increased the campaign length by a relatively substantial amount.

- For the most part, the dialogue and dialogue delivery seemed pitch-perfect. While the Uncharted games have no short history of being lauded for their writing and voice performances, Drake's Deception marks the first instance where there's a palpable sense of history among interconnected characters.

- Initially, I was not particularly impressed by the graphics on offer. My mindset changed, however, when I reached Chapter 6. From then on the visual fidelity of the game is kicked up a notch and doesn't slip at all (AA aside), and much like its predecessors there were more than a few moments that left me wondering just how Naughty Dog managed to conjure such graphics on ageing hardware. The most visually impressive area of the game?
Watching the chateau, now ablaze, crumble around you as the fire dynamically spreads

- The set pieces are sublime and epitomise the concept of "high adventure". I managed to miss the
cargo plane
, however.

- The game does plod along during the opening acts, however once the story kicks into gear the rest of the ride is fantastic.

- Odd animation transitions when Drake automatically interacts with the surrounding environment and you ask him to do something else as well as the game forcing you to a particular path are the only two issues I found to be particularly bothersome (I've covered the strange aiming system below). Now, the latter is something that existed in all previous games, but it felt a tad more heavy-handed in this sequel. Naughty Dog really ought to take leaf from the book of Assassin's Creed and make the surrounding environment traversable if its appearance suggests as much. Oh, and did the game explain at all
how Talbot survived the gun shot delivered by Cutter
?

- In regard to the matter of the aiming system as it exists within the SP campaign, I too noticed something "off" compared to the previous games, but bumping up the sensitivity mitigated this... for the most part. The lingering issue of the crosshair speed slowing down when covering an enemy made killing heavily armoured foes a pain in the fucking arse.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Drake's Deception. Naturally, the game lacked the impact of heading into Among Thieves on the back of Drake's Fortune, however I'd say the campaign is equally enjoyable owing to the improved dialogue, "bigger and better" set pieces,
fleshing out of Nate and Sully's relationship (however slight)
, and the superb pacing once the story begins to unfold. That said, the SP campaign of Drake's Fortune is still my favourite of the bunch as the story and locations tickle my interest in all of the right places.

* The timer most certainly does not take into account checkpoint restarts as I put in a good ~6 hours during both nights of play.

Lightning

Banned
Loving the game but the lack of the cutscene viewer infuriates me. ND should add that back with an update or as DLC....

Other than no cutscene viewer I find the game to be fine. Aiming is weird but I am sure this will be fixed as well and isn't interferring with my enjoyment of the game and I love the more puzzle/platforming less battle after battle direction as well.

FHIZ

I've got to admit, at times, there are situations in this game that are unbelievably frustrating. Specifically from the
boat grave yard till when you get back to land
. Nothing like snipers, a dude with a grenade launcher, two shot gun tanks, and various other grunts charging you. I yelled "fuck" so much that my dog literally got up and left her favorite basking in the sun spot, going upstairs.

thuway

jett said:
Charted! - Crushing

Instead of rushing like a maniac and finishing it one day, I spread my crushing run over 4 days, definitely had a much better time with the campaign. Took my time with it, explored stuff looking for treasures(still missing about 30), and there was no hype to live up as I knew what I expected. Definitely was able to appreciate for what it is. It's for sure an excellent rollercoaster and a worthy addition to the franchise.

Crushing was pretty easy btw, in fact I pretty much breezed through several spots that had given me a great deal of trouble in the game. Preparation is key in this game, with the right weapons certain situations become easier to handle.

I guess all is left in SP is to gather treasure and trophies.

I just beat the game again, for the fourth time. I absolutely love it each time.

The conversation
between Drake and Marlowe though short when she discusses his family history was a
powerful moment in the game.

thuway said:
I just beat the game again, for the fourth time. I absolutely love it each time.

Yeah it truly gets better and better. I can't wait to get to Chapter 12 again. I love the combat scenarios from there on.

jett

D-Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
The conversation
between Drake and Marlowe though short when she discusses his family history was a
powerful moment in the game.

615426_20111025_screen006.jpg

Guzim

FHIZ said:
I've got to admit, at times, there are situations in this game that are unbelievably frustrating. Specifically from the
. Nothing like snipers, a dude with a grenade launcher, two shot gun tanks, and various other grunts charging you. I yelled "fuck" so much that my dog literally got up and left her favorite basking in the sun spot, going upstairs.
I agree with you so much. That part and other parts of the game were extremely frustrating where it just wasn't fun to play. The game is still great though, but as of right now, it's probably my least favorite of the series.

Spike

I'm at about chapter 9 right now, and I am not really liking the game that much. Does it get better soon, because I'm at the point where I'm going to give up.

Ahhh yeah. Those poor sad eyes.

Spike said:
I'm at about chapter 9 right now, and I am not really liking the game that much. Does it get better soon, because I'm at the point where I'm going to give up.

Yeah at least stick through to 12 if you don't like it by then I would just take it back.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
FHIZ said:
That part made me want to quit the game. I think they took the comments about UC2's ease of difficulty to heart.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finished it before school(Hard, 7 and a half hours to complete) and there isn't a nice way to put it, Uncharted 3 is a bad game. UC2 was an 8/10 for me, this is a 3 or 4/10.

To take on the issue everyone else has been bringing up, the aiming is fubar. I didn't really have much difficulty adjust after 20 minutes, but it doesn't make it good. Its like using my left hand to write(Hint, I'm right handed).

Combine this with the horrible AI. COD levels bad except they don't react to being shot. They'll bum rush you, while you have Rockets, Snipers, and and machine gun fire on you. Absorbing every shot you put into them. Since you die so quickly, a lot of fights just turned into cheap exploiting. Only thing they reacted to was getting shot once they brought out a grenade. Shot them once then, or just throw grenades back. I think every jam I had turned out like this. Sit back for the three waves and just let them come to you. The combat set pieces were completely underwhelming too. Nothing in here was nearly as fun to play as the Helicopter sequence or Train.

And of course we have to complete it, Chapter 21
Bullet Sponge Teleporting Area of Effect Demons with Guns and un-throwable grenades. Yes, its as retarded as it sounds.

Melee combat wasn't an improvement. Between the soft lock during combat or tired sections(Again, normally 3 waves of guys. And your stuck just mashing square for a few minutes). I'd wish they just axe it complete, redo or return to the one button.

Platforming and exploring. Its clear they took the criticism about the lack of it in UC2, but its not improved. They just made more of the same brain dead sequences a larger focus in the game. This also runs into just how "cinematic" they wanted to make the game. Half of it might as well of been a cutscene. The
desert
is a great example of doing nothing for 15 minutes. Or another sequence where they lock you into a walk. Or another close up and hold joystick forward to get through cave, air duct, etc. Or waiting for the scripted event to start. Etc.

Only thing that was an improvement from UC2 were the puzzles. Everything else felt like they wanted to turn up the dial to 11, but ended up created a pretty foul experience. The easiest way to describe it is UC2 went down smooth with me. Yes, I had problems(Like every game I play), but this was unpleasant. They took control away from me too much and the gunplay+AI did not make combat enjoyable at all.

Characters and plot, I enjoyed it. I liked Sully and Drake's story. Villain was weak and both girls were underused, but Sully sold it well.

Lightning

Banned
shintoki said:
Finished it before school(Hard, 7 and a half hours to complete) and there isn't a nice way to put it, Uncharted 3 is a bad game. UC2 was an 8/10 for me, this is a 3 or 4/10.
Do you rate your games on their own merit or do games have different expectations based on hype/budget/developer quality?

Because at 3 or 4/10 it's impossible to take you seriously....

Hixx

Heavies can take 2 DIRECT grenade launcher shots and still not die? Best thing was he got stuck in a stunned animation and I couldn't melee or shoot him. He 'wakes up' and bam shotgun to the face. Nice.

Wow. Coupled with the shitty aiming making headshotting them (especially in hectic situations) so difficult they are annoying as fuck.

Hah, just read in a quote several posts up referencing the same area I'm on. I was finally getting into the game as well, then this.

dwebo

shintoki said:
The
desert
is a great example of doing nothing for 15 minutes.
I can see this part being boring, but I really liked it (same goes for ch.2). It was a nice change of pace from the crazy ridiculous sequence right before. Also drove home the
desolation
really well, besides being absolutely gorgeous. I think the camera panned around an entire rotation at the start before I realized it wasn't a pre-rendered sequence and I could actually move him.

Generally agree with you about the rest, though (score aside).

Sullichin

HixxSAFC said:
Heavies can take 2 DIRECT grenade launcher shots and still not die? Best thing was he got stuck in a stunned animation and I couldn't melee or shoot him. He 'wakes up' and bam shotgun to the face. Nice.

Wow. Coupled with the shitty aiming making headshotting them (especially in hectic situations) so difficult they are annoying as fuck.

Hah, just read in a quote several posts up referencing the same area I'm on. I was finally getting into the game as well, then this.

Maybe play the game on easy if the enemies are too hard to defeat?

semi-kidding with that, but uncharted games were always like this, I don't get the bullet sponge complaints, it's not like the game is pretending to be realistic.

Seregil

Did they bring back the effect where they animate the folds in Drake's shirt as he moves that they had in Uncharted 1? I thought I saw it in chapter 10.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
FHIZ said:

This was definitely my biggest knock on the game. I always thought there were one or two sequences in the others that really went over the top in trying to be hard... however they seemed to go out of their way to make this one, as hard as humanly possible. Like you said having snipers up top, guys to the sides with rocket launchers/grenade launchers, all while getting flanked by SAS guys. There's one part in particular towards the end, where
right as you respawn (from dying a million times) there is a guy to your left with a hammer, already starting to shoot, and two guys in front with machine guns, and a brute with a SAS walking towards you. you have to get lucky and hope the Hammer misses, take him out before the brute/machine guns get you, and then hope the brute isn't too close already.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished, I'm glad I stuck with it, I feel like the first two ended terribly, this is by far the best final act of the three games. I'd still put UC3 below the other two overall, but I'm glad I finished it, and thanks to the GAFfers who suggested I should.

Looking forward to the co-op when the time comes.

StuBurns said:
Finished, I'm glad I stuck with it, I feel like the first two ended terribly, this is by far the best final act of the three games. I'd still put UC3 below the other two overall, but I'm glad I finished it, and thanks to the GAFfers who suggested I should.

Looking forward to the co-op when the time comes.

See StuBurns I knew you would like it.

msdstc said:
This was definitely my biggest knock on the game. I always thought there were one or two sequences in the others that really went over the top in trying to be hard... however they seemed to go out of their way to make this one, as hard as humanly possible. Like you said having snipers up top, guys to the sides with rocket launchers/grenade launchers, all while getting flanked by SAS guys. There's one part in particular towards the end, where
right as you respawn (from dying a million times) there is a guy to your left with a hammer, already starting to shoot, and two guys in front with machine guns, and a brute with a SAS walking towards you. you have to get lucky and hope the Hammer misses, take him out before the brute/machine guns get you, and then hope the brute isn't too close already.

I can't even remember what part your talking about here. I am going through on crushing right now and its no big deal whatsoever. I wish I could see what you guys are doing to make the game so hard for yourselves. Did any of you play UC1 on crushing?

Hixx

Sullichin said:
Maybe play the game on easy if the enemies are too hard to defeat?

I've finished the first 2 multiple times (on higher difficulties than I'm playing U3 on) and Uncharted 1 was much more difficult than this in general so far. But it didn't have bullshit like this particular section.

Sullichin

HixxSAFC said:
I've finished the first 2 multiple times (on higher difficulties than I'm playing U3 on) and Uncharted 1 was much more difficult than this in general so far. But it didn't have bullshit like this particular section.

I edited my post to sound less like an asshole. I just don't get the complaints in general about enemies being bullet sponges because Uncharted has always been that way, it's not like it's pretending to be realistic. Didn't heavies react in a similar way in U2?

The Chef said:
Geez your like the 5th person this has happened to. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, I'm pretty irritated; I've had the machine (80 GB with BC) for 5+ years, never had an issue, so I guess it was bound to happen at some point. However, I've made no preparations (backups) in the off chance it did happen, and of course now I'll probably lose everything, including my 100+ hour Dark Souls save I've been working on.

I was really really excited to dip in to U3 this weekend, and was stoked when it was available at Redbox. My ~$10 U3 experience is now moot...

jax (old)

Banned
Hate the SP campaign faces of some of the characters. Especially the women.

just got to 10
YEMEN/ELENA
and the whole time i was just shocked at how wrong this person's face looked. almost like plastic surgeried for the worse. Are they blind? From 1-2, I could say "hey, its the same person". 3's version is compleley weird looking. I felt sad as I adored
ELENA
from 1+2.

game on hard is good. Much tougher than gears 3 and all the better for it. The spray and pray in the SP mode is really over powered and the AVclub comment about it being bulletspongey is absurd. If you have the sawed off; its 1 shot kills.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We should really have someone give the game 1/10 already, so that the race of who gives it the lowest score can finally end.

Solo said:
In before irrational flaming of shin

No one should flame him cause his complaints are completely valid, and I agree with a lot of them concerning the combat. So many shootouts were frustrating as balls because of the douche bag rushing AI mixed with the bullet sponges, mixed with the Hammer Bros lighting you up from a country away. 3/10 is way too low of a score though, but still.

r.gun

Neo Member
HixxSAFC said:

While I did find that section to be difficult (died quite a few times) there was always different tactics to try and use. If you are dying all the time going to the left and picking up a certain gun, then try going to the right and picking up that other different gun and vice versa. Mix up your tactics in that section until you can break through.

The Chef

BruceLeeRoy said:
I wish I could see what you guys are doing to make the game so hard for yourselves. Did any of you play UC1 on crushing?

I have been wondering this too. I've been playing on hard and I cant think of a single enemy encounter that proved to be overly frustrating in any way.

StuBurns

Banned
There were two encounters on Normal I thought were a little out of whack with the rest of it.

EDIT: Time spent playing is 7:52, does that include cutscenes and things?

The Chef

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Thanks, I'm pretty irritated; I've had the machine (80 GB with BC) for 5+ years, never had an issue, so I guess it was bound to happen at some point. However, I've made no preparations (backups) in the off chance it did happen, and of course now I'll probably lose everything, including my 100+ hour Dark Souls save I've been working on.

I was really really excited to dip in to U3 this weekend, and was stoked when it was available at Redbox. My ~$10 U3 experience is now moot...

I think there are definitely ways to get your saves and data off that drive.
You can get started here: Do it ;)

Toki767

This game was definitely easier than 2. There are only maybe 2 difficult gunfights
Chapter 14 and Chapter 19.
The rest are fine as long as you take your time, stay behind cover, and let your partner do a bit of work when you have one.

Jax said:
Hate the SP campaign faces of some of the characters. Especially the women.

just got to 10
YEMEN/ELENA
and the whole time i was just shocked at how wrong this person's face looked. almost like plastic surgeried for the worse. Are they blind? From 1-2, I could say "hey, its the same person". 3's version is compleley weird looking. I felt sad as I adored
ELENA
from 1+2.

game on hard is good. Much tougher than gears 3 and all the better for it. The spray and pray in the SP mode is really over powered and the AVclub comment about it being bulletspongey is absurd. If you have the sawed off; its 1 shot kills.

That is so funny I feel the same way. Me and my brothers have been going through Gears 3 SP co-op on Hard.(or whatever the hardest setting is you can start the game on) At first it was challenging but going from UC3 back to it last night we were all like "Is this game all of a sudden really really easy"

ScOULaris

Hardest encounters for me were
the shootout at the ship graveyard
and the
firefight in the ship's ballroom
. The second one especially since I had no answer for the flanking armored guys with shotguns. They just marched up on me with no fear or reaction to my bullets. If the game had Uncharted 2's aiming, I probably would have had less trouble.

Sullichin

BruceLeeRoy said:
That is so funny I feel the same way. Me and my brothers have been going through Gears 3 SP co-op on Hard.(or whatever the hardest setting is you can start the game on) At first it was challenging but going from UC3 back to it last night we were all like "Is this game all of a sudden really really easy"

GOW3 coop on normal is retardedly easy lol. It doesn't even matter if you die, you'll just get revived.

jax (old)

Banned
Where I am now; I don't think the combat is unfair or too ridiculous - fact that you need to use cover is more emphaised here much much more than it was in gears3. (only mentioning as they're mechanically the same). Whenever I died; it was because I rushed it or played stupid and I think its really great.

I do wish I hadn't played the subway beta as a lot of the stages weren't "new" to me. The sense that "oh I know this corridor/area..etc.

Sullichin said:
GOW3 coop on normal is retardedly easy lol. It doesn't even matter if you die, you'll just get revived.

Yeah were doing it on hard right now but none of us are even getting downed at this point. My brother pointed out that were all moving a lot more around the maps than we used to. Probably cause I am merging play-styles between the two.

ScOULaris said:
and the
. The second one especially since I had no answer for the flanking armored guys with shotguns. They just marched up on me with no fear or reaction to my bullets. If the game had Uncharted 2's aiming, I probably would have had less trouble.

Grenade + Headshot

Toki767

ScOULaris said:
and the
I think the mistake people most people make when it comes to the armored shotgun guys is they go for headshots and the like. The easiest way to take them out is using an Arm Micro, taking cover, and firing/blindfiring away at them. Doesn't matter if you end up hitting the helmet. They will die eventually after enough shots to the body.

Toki767 said:
This game was definitely easier than 2. There are only maybe 2 difficult gunfights
Chapter 14 and Chapter 19.
The rest are fine as long as you take your time, stay behind cover, and let your partner do a bit of work when you have one.

I also thought that
Chapter 16
could be difficult if you don't bother with stealth (I learned that the hard way), but I agree with your post.

Going to probably do a run solely for treasures and weapon kills before I try out the stealth kills. Any idea what would be a good difficulty for the first one? I'm thinking of either hard or crushing for the stealth run.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

You probably can Jerry rig that PS3 to last a few days. Get a three month PS+ and send your saves to the cloud.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Overall the graphics are great, but the jaggy shadows and some glitches were very annoying. Uncharted 2 was so much polished visually.

Jubs

How's the mp in the game? I stopped playing the subway beta mid-October because of the overall stupidity of it (sprint, insufficient stopping power, and hipfire), so i'm curious to know if they rectified any of the known issues and problems the community had.

dwebo

Toki767 said:
I think the mistake people most people make when it comes to the armored shotgun guys is they go for headshots and the like. The easiest way to take them out is using an Arm Micro, taking cover, and firing/blindfiring away at them. Doesn't matter if you end up hitting the helmet. They will die eventually after enough shots to the body.
Yeah, after an entire clip or two. I was pretty amused when they would take spot-on grenade blasts and just shuck off some armor. I don't remember if they did that in 2, though they were certainly felt more annoying in this game.

Toki767

Auron_Kale said:
I also thought that
Chapter 16
could be difficult if you don't bother with stealth (I learned that the hard way), but I agree with your post.

Going to probably do a run solely for treasures and weapon kills before I try out the stealth kills. Any idea what would be a good difficulty for the first one? I'm thinking of either hard or crushing for the stealth run.
If you just want treasures and weapon kills I'd suggest just doing Very Easy to breeze through quickly.

I actually used stealth in
Chapter 16
on my crushing playthrough where as I just rushed it in hard and it was so much easier on crushing haha.

dwebo said:
Yeah, after an entire clip or two. I was pretty amused when they would take spot-on grenade blasts and just shuck off some armor. I don't remember if they did that in 2, though they were certainly felt more annoying in this game.
I basically stopped throwing grenades at them because it seemed like a waste when ammo was so plentiful and grenades aren't in those levels.

Top Bottom