• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

stupei

BruceLeeRoy said:
So basically your the type of player that likes the game to lead you more. You want encounters that are specifically a sniper encounter or a close quarters or rocket launcher blow the humvee up encounter. That is fine but its not the strength of the UC games and never has been. ND has given you all the tools you need to beat any of the combat scenarios of the game. You just have to utilize them. If you don't like them fine but don't try and act likes it their fault cause its not how you like your encounters to go.

No. The problem with the combat encounters in UC3 is that they give you these arenas like in UC2 but throw so many snipers and guys with shotguns passing up cover and running right at you at all times that it doesn't allow you the freedom to approach the encounter the way you want. The game limits you quite a bit by overwhelming you with insane numbers of every enemy type in constant waves. The freedom you're referring to wasn't really present in UC1; they made the attempt but the enemies were such total bullet sponges that the flow of combat was really slowed down. In UC2 they fixed this and really elevated the combat in the series, making it genuinely enjoyable, one of the best.

To me UC3 feels like a huge step back in that respect. After the progress made in UC2 this is especially disappointing.

Luthos

The aiming felt different, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The thing that annoyed me was the stupid bum rush AI. People complained that in UC2 you sat in cover and waited for people to pop their heads out to shoot. But that was better than every other dude saying "fuck guns" and rushing straight at you.

BruceLeeRoy said:
That and the
decoder
were excellent.

Decoder was fantastic once I figured what standing around the square did.
. So good.

I'll admit that the
'follow the path' one got me before I was like - shit, is that all I had to do?
but I still dug it.
It reminded me of The Last Crusade.

StuBurns

Banned
In the first two there wasn't a single puzzle that had anything puzzling about them to me, you just look at his journal and it tells you what something should look like, then you move the bits. UC3 actually had you look at the environment a little. Another good one was before the animals/symbols, the floor puzzle, I liked that.

Carbonox

reggie said:
The aiming problem is so fucking frustrating. The more the play the more I can't stand it, I hope ND fixes it.

I'm with you. I'm not that far in to the game (
France
) but I'm not enjoying my experience with this game that much, unless it's some sort of exciting set piece. I think I'm at the end of the area I'm in which was really fun but that's it. The majority was fucking dull and now I do not look forward to any conflict because of how awful the gunplay is now.

StuBurns said:
In the first two there wasn't a single puzzle that had anything puzzling about them to me, you just look at his journal and it tells you what something should look like, then you move the bits. UC3 actually had you look at the environment a little. Another good one was before the animals/symbols, the floor puzzle, I liked that.

That was the only one that took me a little while to figure out =P I really gotta play the first two games again....

stupei said:
No. The problem with the combat encounters in UC3 is that they give you these arenas like in UC2 but throw so many snipers and guys with shotguns passing up cover and running right at you at all times that it doesn't allow you the freedom to approach the encounter the way you want. The game limits you quite a bit by overwhelming you with insane numbers of every enemy type in constant waves. The freedom you're referring to wasn't really present in UC1. They made the attempt but the enemies were such total bullet sponges that the flow of combat was really slowed down. In UC2 they fixed this and really elevated the combat in the series, making it genuinely enjoyable, one of the best.

To me UC3 feels like a huge step back in that respect. After the progress made in UC2 this is especially disappointing.

There are a couple arena like settings in the early chapters that I complete agree with this mentality. You basically have to rush the melee guys and hope you get every moment down just right in order to pass it. However, starting with the
tanker
and going all the way to the end of the game you are given ample freedom along with weapons and abilities to get easily passed all those sections. The
tanker
level was fantastic. You could beat that part in so many different ways. Guy is raining a mini-gun down on you. Snipe him
swim
passed everyone and up the ramp take control of mini-gun and mow guys down. Don't like that go around the left side using the rifle and make your way over to the grenader. Take him out and unleash on all the guys below. Want to be sneakier keep going from platform to platform and getting behind the guys. Its fantastic.

Auron_Kale said:
Decoder was fantastic once I figured what standing around the square did.
. So good.

I'll admit that the
'follow the path' one got me before I was like - shit, is that all I had to do?
but I still dug it.
It reminded me of The Last Crusade.

Yeah I thought the same thing completely reminded me of that. It actually stumped me for longer than I would care to admit as well.

Luthos

JumpingTheGun said:
I found all the puzzles signifigantly easier than in the two previous games. Anyone else agree?
Umm, no. It's not like they were really hard in this one, but definitely more difficult and involved than in the previous two.

amorbis

Okay, I need help here:

I'm on a boat with a heavy guy with a machine gun. Other guys are attacking too, I have no idea where to go, or if I can even kill the heavy guy. I'm surrounded by containers.

StuBurns

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
That was the only one that took me a little while to figure out =P I really gotta play the first two games again....
I think for me it was
the fact there's what looks like an entrence mark
in the journal, so I was trying to see the pattern on the floor before I got it.

It's just a question of how fast you see those little hints, for example the animal/symbols one
I didn't notice they black slates were showing different symbols depending on your position
for a minute or so. I liked that.

amorbis said:
Okay, I need help here:

I'm on a boat with a heavy guy with a machine gun. Other guys are attacking too, I have no idea where to go, or if I can even kill the heavy guy.
His AI is moronic, run around him in tight circles hip firing, he can't shoot or kick you.

Synless

Done and it was amazing. I'm going to let it sink in for a little while and decide how I would rate it to the other Uncharted games.

PowderedToast

amorbis said:
Okay, I need help here:

I'm on a boat with a heavy guy with a machine gun. Other guys are attacking too, I have no idea where to go, or if I can even kill the heavy guy. I'm surrounded by containers.
hardest part of the game for me. so annoying. i dropped it to very easy and never looked back, tbh. couldn't be fucked at that point.

amorbis said:
Okay, I need help here:

Is it the
spot where the boat is tipping and the containers are moving?

krioto

This game is fucking awesome. Just got to 'Somewhere cool' again on Crushing - it's just all so good. Cheers ND. And when I aim, I hit people - incredible.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
JumpingTheGun said:
I found all the puzzles signifigantly easier than in the two previous games. Anyone else agree?
The "puzzles" UC1 and 2 were brain dead easy. I think they improved on that aspect a lot in this one.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
amorbis said:
So do I actually have to kill the guy?

And yes, it's the part where the boat keeps tipping.

A guy on the ledge drops a grenade launcher.

I originally thought
I had to crush the heavy with the moving container but I wasn't able to get him in the right spot...
tried to do this forever.

Pretty bad game design there.

btkadams

krioto said:
This game is fucking awesome. Just got to
Yemen
again on Crushing - it's just all so good. Cheers ND. And when I aim, I hit people - incredible.
spoilers dude! some of us are getting fucked over by fs and still haven't gotten our copies!

cajunator

Banned
BeeDog said:
Reached the part in chapter 7/8 (I think) in
Syria
where the
baddies pepper your posse with RPG's.
Game's really great so far, but the aiming is still a bit wonky and too heavy-handed. Have gotten used to it somewhat though, so I've acquired some headshot trophy or two.
This is where I stopped at. I actually really loved that part.I like that they delayed the enemies enough that it wasn't impossibly hard.
I actually haven't played today though.
Woke up late and got something to eat so no time before work.
Provided work tonight goes more smoothly, I wont be exhausted tomorrow morning and can put more time into the game.

amorbis

Evolved1 said:
A guy on the ledge drops a grenade launcher.

I originally thought
I had to crush the heavy with the moving container but I wasn't able to get him in the right spot...
tried to do this forever.

Pretty bad game design there.

Yeah, and when I shot him he barely budges so I assumed I wasn't doing anything. Even when he did budge, I died from all the gunshots.

StuBurns

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
I must be mental. I found the puzzles in UC1 and 2 tougher. Esp in UC2.
Got an example? I can't think of a single one that isn't just making something look like a drawing in your book.

The puzzles in U3 you had to actually think about, for the most part. The ones in U2 were neat but they didn't require problem solving or clever thinking of any sort, at least that I can remember.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Let me guess your not passed chapter 9.

Correct, I'm in chapter 8, but I don't think that's really an excuse for the first 9 chapters either.

The fact that Sully just gives you the answer to any puzzle in the game if you wait long enough is a fucking embarrassment and they should fix that. I mean what is the point of the "Game Hints" option in the option screen if he's just going to solve it for you anyway?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
-Pyromaniac- said:
The puzzles in U3 you had to actually think about, for the most part. The ones in U2 were neat but they didn't require problem solving or clever thinking of any sort, at least that I can remember.
They were all pretty easy, actually. But when compared to the previous Uncharted games, yes, huge improvement.

Puzzles were all good. Some of them, very good. And there were 2 or 3 quite difficult.

Golden Head is not even a puzzle, is hide & seek (but it costed me a lot).

Statues in france was easy. In the line of U1 and U2 puzzles. Check the guide, see the pattern, move it.

The symbols on the floor were moderate, I though that I had to press 1 symbol in each line. Then I realize that I had to press all the symbols.

Grid on the wall with 4 symbols was quite good, I had to think a little until i got it.

The up-down symbol thing on Syria (stars and looking dow, sun symbol and look up) was not even a puzzle, more a hide & seek, but not bad.

The globe one was good, for all the preparations (light the torches, flow the water).

The one of the mechanism in columns, to find the moon sign and check the drawing was a good puzzle, but the game took too much time to give me the "moon sign" clue that is necessary to fulfill it.

The gears was ok. Nothing very original. Finding the gears and use only the ones with the correct symbol.

The shadow one was good. I got stuck because there is a big lance in the left side, and I was trying to make that lance to fit with the picture, until I realize that there were a smaller one in the right side.

And... that's all. I think that the rest of puzzles are basically switches where you have to find the path to reach them.

patsu

DangerousDave said:
Puzzles were all good. Some of them, very good. And there were 2 or 3 quite difficult.

Grid on the wall with 4 symbols was quite good, I had to think a little until i got it.

This one stumped me. I got it half right, and was trying the remaining combo; accidentally left all the pieces at the right place. ^_^

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I thought the same thing completely reminded me of that. It actually stumped me for longer than I would care to admit as well.

:highfive: I thought I was a moron after that one was done but luckily I don't have an audience when I play so at least no one made fun of me after I figured it out.

Overall though, I loved all the puzzles in U3 way more than in U2/U1.

ZeroRay

The puzzles in the previous games just served as a break from the action and more of a tool for pacing than an actual gameplay challenge.

In 3, they are a genuine challenge and a few of them are pretty clever.

At chapter 14,
chapters 12 and 13 were "Holy Shit wow!" but right now I'm stuck on some armored dude who takes a billion shots. The "arena at the beginning of 12 was a really well designed open arena.
Too bad the aiming and gunplay are a step back from U2; aside from the aiming, enemies don't react as well to getting shot anymore.

baekshi

Banned
Oh hell no man -_- WTF, I passed onto legacy (prestige), and it knocked out all of my money.

At least fucking tell me if it was going to do that, and I have to unlock characters again? What the fuck is this bullshit.....kicking my balls right now doing that ...

Top Bottom