• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Ilúvatar

So just finished the game last night around midnight, I have to say that I loved it but would have to rank U2 above it. Where U3 is clearly the visual and mechanical superior, a lot of it felt like a retreading of the previous game. Anyone else feel this way?

hsukardi

I really like the background story expanded on the characters here. Love the interactions and the way certain aspects of their personalities unfold. Great graphics but I'm really disappointed with the gameplay. Some very, very bad design including scenarios and enemy placement, aiming, shooting, enemy types (especially ridiculous bullet soaks).

And this is coming from someone who loved Uncharted and Uncharted 2 (the shooting gameplay was never *great* but it was serviceable and never got in the way.. not true here).

I feel that Naughty Dogs may be masters of graphics, but they're really quite mediocre game designers. I'm not having a great time. And this whole wave upon wave upon wave of enemies is just fucking boring and a grind.

Overall thumbs down so far. Disappointed, Naughty Dog.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BruceLeeRoy said:
The conversation
between Drake and Marlowe though short when she discusses his family history was a
powerful moment in the game.

YES. I hope this gets explained more at some point in a future game.

Toki767 said:
If you just want treasures and weapon kills I'd suggest just doing Very Easy to breeze through quickly.

I actually used stealth in
Chapter 16
on my crushing playthrough where as I just rushed it in hard and it was so much easier on crushing haha.

That's what I was thinking and agreed on using stealth in
Chapter 16
. I was getting my ass handed to me when I just rushed in so after respawning, I definitely was going for a bit more stealth. Lasted longer too lol.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BruceLeeRoy said:
That is so funny I feel the same way. Me and my brothers have been going through Gears 3 SP co-op on Hard.(or whatever the hardest setting is you can start the game on) At first it was challenging but going from UC3 back to it last night we were all like "Is this game all of a sudden really really easy"
I did a run through on Hardcore and its far easier than this. Hard in Uncharted 3 is probably the same as Insane in Gears, but I'd also say outside the final boss in Gears 3(LOL horseshit design). It was balanced pretty well with a few more questionable situations.

Chamber said:
I agree with his complaints but 3/10 is near Big Rigs quality.
Understand this about me. 8/10 is where most of the best games(Fan favorites) of this gen will peak. Uncharted 2, Halo Reach, AssCreed II, etc. To throw more gas on the fire, Batman AA, Fallout 3, and others would land in the 5-6 range. Getting into the 3-4 range with me is still bad, but it isn't "Big Rigs" bad.

Big Rigs didn't even get an acknowledgement of existence from me till you brought it up.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
Jett, I can change the colour of Drake's suit. Nothing whacky though, they're all muted colours.

Aight thanks. Wait, is that the his suit from UC3? I was talking about the DLC UC2 skins.

ghibli99

I'm only 6 chapters in, but yeah, combat is weird. I don't know what it is, but aiming is a real pain in the ass for some reason (I haven't read through the dedicated aiming thread here yet). Don't remember having this problem with either UC1 or UC2. I'm really struggling with it. I like the different things you can do w/ melee, but the animation just seems off, so it doesn't look that good to me.

Speaking of animation, I appreciate what they're trying to do with how dynamic the characters are (e.g., putting their hand on things as they turn tight corners, etc.), but it's also really buggy. Hands/arms 'snap' unrealistically to objects, and on a few occasions, I had Drake's head turn almost a full 180 degrees on his neck, which was grotesque. I've also had him get stuck/freeze with his arms straight out to his side (like a placeholder 3D model) walking into rooms. Odd!

Game also 3-beep crashed already loading a save game, after I had rock-solid experiences with UC1&2 (except for a single soft crash late in UC2).

I complained previously about the traversal being overly simplified in UC2, and I think the same is true here. If you can't make a leap/jump, Drake just sits there. I wish the game would let me at least try, which would encourage experimentation instead of me just taking the very linear, one-way path through these areas.

I think I "died" like 15 times during an early chase scene. Hearing the canned/timed dialogue again and again reminded me (in a bad way) of the final boss fight in UC2. There's no consequence for dying in this game, either, although to be fair, that's true for most modern games. You have unlimited lives, and there are so many checkpoints in each level, that you never really feel like you're in any danger. It promotes sloppy gameplay.

That's a lot of complaining, but it's only because the series has set a very high standard, so the things that are off seem so much more amplified here. It's still early, though... I'll post again when I'm done. :)

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just finished up, an amazing experience as expected. The combat felt a little off, though I'm not quite sure I could tell you why. I've been trying to put my finger on it to no avail. Not a massive problem, the gameplay is still tons of fun.

Setting wise, everything was beautiful as usual. Apart from the obvious gorgeous locations, France and the chateau really stood out for me.

Story was great, too. Cutter was a good edition, nice to see Chloe, etc.
Overjoyed to see Sully was alive, ending made me happy.

The young Nate chapter was... strange but welcome.

Always a bitter-sweet moment to finish a game you adore so much, with Golden Abyss just months away, and another Uncharted adventure to be had, it isn't so bad. :)

I love this franchise.

Victor Sullivan riding a horse. There is nothing this man cannot do. Give me a young Sully game, please.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Finished, I'm glad I stuck with it, I feel like the first two ended terribly, this is by far the best final act of the three games. I'd still put UC3 below the other two overall, but I'm glad I finished it, and thanks to the GAFfers who suggested I should.

Looking forward to the co-op when the time comes.

See Stuburns... you need to not give up so easily :p

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
Aight thanks. Wait, is that the his suit from UC3? I was talking about the DLC UC2 skins.
Yeah, it's from UC3, but it's just a tone change, it should be too hard to implement, I don't know though.
Kagari said:
See Stuburns... you need to not give up so easily :p
I would have come back to it at some point, if just on very easy to watch the cutscenes, but yeah, you were right.

ghibli99 said:
I complained previously about the traversal being overly simplified in UC2, and I think the same is true here. If you can't make a leap/jump, Drake just sits there. I wish the game would let me at least try, which would encourage experimentation instead of me just taking the very linear, one-way path through these areas.

I think I "died" like 15 times during an early chase scene. Hearing the canned/timed dialogue again and again reminded me (in a bad way) of the final boss fight in UC2. There's no consequence for dying in this game, either, although to be fair, that's true for most modern games. You have unlimited lives, and there are so many checkpoints in each level, that you never really feel like you're in any danger. It promotes sloppy gameplay.

It sounds like you enjoy punitive games that punish the player for mistakes. ;)

The Chef

ghibli99 said:
Speaking of animation, I appreciate what they're trying to do with how dynamic the characters are (e.g., putting their hand on things as they turn tight corners, etc.), but it's also really buggy. Hands/arms 'snap' unrealistically to objects, and on a few occasions, I had Drake's head turn almost a full 180 degrees on his neck, which was grotesque. I've also had him get stuck/freeze with his arms straight out to his side (like a placeholder 3D model) walking into rooms. Odd!

Did I just not get a lemon copy of the game or something? I have never had anything like this happen to me, not even once. In fact for me I am constantly amazed how drake reacts to the environment. During a chase scene drake is constantly pushing off people and walls and objects. It looks amazing. Im so baffled it could be so completely different as you described.

The Lamp

Does the dialogue/story get wittier/charming/humorous after Chapter 8? So far it's been very boring and not as snappy and charming as Uncharted 2's opening.

I'd have to say that it doesn't open up as briskly and entertainingly humorous as Uncharted 2. The new characters (besides the villain) also aren't as fun as Flynn or Chloe were at their introduction in the last game.

Up to chapter 6 right now, the aiming is definitely off, but it's not as bad as the two threads made it out to be for me personally, bumped the sensitivity up a bit and the combat is manageable, but precise shots are a harder than U2, never has just shooting off a lock been so difficult.

Chapter 2 and 3 were really great, though
Sully just befriending a kid like that to teach how to steal is definitely on the weird side.

LOL rank 75 in MP just to unlock the desert Drake skin? By the time I get to rank 75 I'm probably going to be so sick of MP that I won't even care. at this rate I'd rather it be fucking $9.99 DLC-- not that I'm trying to give anyone any ideas.

upJTboogie said:
Chapter 2 and 3 were really great, though
Sully just befriending a kid like that to teach how to steal is definitely on the weird side.

It's not like Nate had a conventional childhood up until that point. The least Sully could do was teach him how to do it better. :p
Chapters 2 & 3 are a highlight in demonstrating character interactions for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Lamp said:
Does the dialogue/story get wittier/charming/humorous after Chapter 8? So far it's been very boring and not as snappy and charming as Uncharted 2's opening.

I'd have to say that it doesn't open up as briskly and entertainingly humorous as Uncharted 2. The new characters (besides the villain) also aren't as fun as Flynn or Chloe were at their introduction in the last game.

Yes, keep going!

Gyrian

jett said:

U2 DLC skinds have no extra attachments of any kind, only color changes.
Not sure why they went with this route, things like Nepal Chloe, Winter Chloe only differ by a jacket. This could have been part of the modular MP character system.

I have to say, I've got some mixed feeling about them.
On the one hand, it's great to have the entire series cast on this, and so quickly too; but then I would have happily waited for a better, more polished result. Every single skin is rebuilt from scratch to match U3's more limited MP texture / polycount requirements, resulting in some fairly uneven quality. To my eyes, they're all looking quite a bit uglier than their U2 counterparts.

I was surprised to see the amount of outsourced art referenced in the end credits, and I'd venture a guess that the DLC characters is where some of it went. It's strange to describe, but they don't look like NDI art, more like an imitation of.

Tonza

Up to chapter 8 and I have to say that so far Im not really loving it. UC2 was amazing at the time but something about this feels off. I just came off from playing Dark Souls and Batman:AC and I think I had much more fun with those.

I'll finish it but at the moment it seems like just an okay/good game for me.

kx11

Banned
Tonza said:
Up to chapter 8 and I have to say that so far Im not really loving it. UC2 was amazing at the time but something about this feels off. I just came off from playing Dark Souls and Batman:AC and I think I had much more fun with those.

I'll finish it but at the moment it seems like just an okay/good game for me.

wait till you reach chapter 14 and beyond

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blerp. Those UC3 story co-op levels all seem to end the same way. You are trapped in a tiny room with those armored-up jackasses who through 5 grenades at a time or have infinite grenade launchers. I was kind of hoping that there'd be new bosses or something to deal with... but I guess I'm going to stick with Arena for the most part.

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:
LOL rank 75 in MP just to unlock the desert Drake skin? By the time I get to rank 75 I'm probably going to be so sick of MP that I won't even care. at this rate I'd rather it be fucking $9.99 DLC-- not that I'm trying to give anyone any ideas.

I forsee I will be level 75 by next week at the latest. It only takes 2 million~ to get there.

patsu said:
What's Chapter 11 ? (I completed the game but can't associate Chapter numbers with location).

Abduction (or Abducted, can't remember) - when you get taken by the pirate guys but before the ship graveyard.

The Chef

patsu said:
What's Chapter 11 ? (I completed the game but can't associate Chapter numbers with location).

Meet up with Elana, discover the location of the city and you get drugged leading to a very intense dialogue and chase scene. Chapter ends with you getting knocked out and waking up tied up on a boat.

Auron_Kale said:
Abduction (or Abducted, can't remember) - when you get taken by the pirate guys but before the ship graveyard.

Thats 12

Mr. Sam

If Shintoki thinks Uncharted 3 is a bad game and, as such, has awarded it a 3 or 4 out of 10, I can only applaud him for actually using the full scale - the scale where 5 is average, >5 is good, and <5 is bad.

I can see myself playing this for a looooong time. The highest level i reached was 31 on killzone 3. Leveling up usually is tedious for me in multiplayer games. I am at 26 right now just from playing the beta. I love how the maps change, how there are so many spots you can climb and change the outcome of matches. Its all just so dynamic. Only complaint is the shooting feels weird, and it seems I had to get to the upper twenties to unlock the better guns a aiming perks....

Donos

donut drake in the making ? shot in Berlin, Germany. Sorry for the crappy quality.
ILeor.jpg
U67rA.jpg

D6AMIA6N

The Chef said:
I have been wondering this too. I've been playing on hard and I cant think of a single enemy encounter that proved to be overly frustrating in any way.

Seriously, and then people wonder why suddenly game franchises become dumbed down, or super easy. UC3 is in no way difficult, I've died repeatedly in specific areas, but trying different tactics almost always yields success. I believe there are also mid-long-battle auto-saves, so you don't have to restart from the beginning. What more do you want?

If it is really that difficult, play on easy. But to me, even on hard, it is certainly not "hard". And no I don't play games all day or constantly, but wish I could!

D6AMIA6N said:
Seriously, and then people wonder why suddenly game franchises become dumbed down, or super easy. UC3 is in no way difficult, I've died repeatedly in specific areas, but trying different things almost always yields success. I believe there are also mid long battle auto save, so you don't havr to start from the beginning. What more do you want?

If it is really that difficult play on easy. But to me, even on hard, it is certainly not "hard". And no I don't play games all day or constantly, but wish I could!

If anyone can find fun in *whole game spoilers*
the arena on the ship if you get caught, the initial ship graveyard shootout, the endless shootouts in the desert, the sandstorm section, or fighting the demons
, God bless you. They weren't difficult in that they were challenging, but they certainly weren't fun for a myriad of reasons.

Crushing is cake compared to U1, I can't wait to get to chap 17 and up, those encounters are so goooooood.

Net_Wrecker said:
the arena on the ship if you get caught, the initial ship graveyard shootout, the endless shootouts in the desert, the sandstorm section, or fighting the demons
, God bless you. They weren't difficult in that they were challenging, but they certainly weren't fun for a myriad of reasons.

haha, I can't wait to try those again on crushing.

bob page

SoulClap said:
I found its a lot less noticeable in the darker environments.
Looks like I'm not the only one!

Yeah, the aliasing is definitely very noticeable in day-time environments (just like GTA4). When it's dark I barely notice it.

Alf-Life

Strange, my thread was closed, so I hope they don't mind me repeating it here because I'd really like to get some suggestions.

Original post:

*Very Mild Spoilers*

Boat level, chapter 12 or so... I beat up those guys, and made my way out to that beautiful boat graveyard vista... then this guitar kicks in. Amazing.

Later, I hear the same track inside the Cruise Liner, as Drake makes his way into the main ballroom with the piano in the middle, hides behind cover and tells himself he should take them quietly.

I bloody loved this, and later bought the soundtrack on iTunes... finding the track; Track 15 - Boarding Party.

But, what's annoying the heck out of me is that it reminds me of something. A movie score, I think. I was wondering if anyone can recommend movie soundtracks or composers that sound similar to this so that I can track it down. Heck, at worst, I might find some cool similar music that I've never heard too.

I guess the closest I can think of is that it's vaguely Tyler Bates-ish, and then when the piano kicks in it goes a bit X-Filesy.

Any ideas?

(from Wario64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eedmf5Y1Etw)

Also, in reply to (in that thread):

Oh hey, another U3 thread. I liked this song a lot too. The one at the beginning of ch.2 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSbkMUP5Kek

I love that theme too. It reminds me a lot of Untraceable...
Sadly YouTube only seems to have the Main Theme (it sounds like Missing Flowers track): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbGAxZFgTYg

patsu

Net_Wrecker said:

Yes I think people who dislike the experience felt that they were bullied. ^_^

The game is not really difficult. Dying 3-8 times consistently per big encounter is fine for me. But it's the circumstances that leave a bad taste sometimes. I think if ND tuned the AI to be less aggressive for Normal difficulty, the game will outshine U2 in the gameplay department.

Net_Wrecker said:

I actually found those fun because despite the dying, just changing up my tactics worked wonders. Also,
the chase through the desert with the horses made everything all better for me, even after the crap sandstorm shootout and Ghost Rider enemies. It was like reliving 'The Last Crusade' during the horse chase.

patsu

I think they are fun too, but fun is a very fuzzy word. Bullied seems to convey that negative feeling I had when surrounded by 5 enemies. Nonetheless, I could still have fun playing with these bullies. ^_^

D6AMIA6N

Net_Wrecker said:

My point is more that I don't think that the combat scenarios in UC3 are any different then they were in the first two installments. I can't remember if it was UC1 or 2 which had a fight in a large indoor room with staircases, and a mounted machine gun, and just Drake, but I seriously died like a hundred times.

People are making it seem as though the overwhelming odds and being out gunned are new to the series.

The extensive melee encounters and the melee combat itself, are to me, the weakest points of the game.

Top Bottom