• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Crushing hasn't been that hard or frustrating thus far, at least until the
convoy horse chase
. Didn't even expect to have any trouble, but a mistake is instant death there. Otherwise fairly smooth sailing, easily the easiest of the 3 for Crushing.

Second playthrough has solidified the
big ship graveyard shootout
as the best encounter for me. That battle has so many stages and ways to take guys down, it's a blast to play through again.

Raonak

Banned
Creamium said:
as the best encounter for me. That battle has so many stages and ways to take guys down, it's a blast to play through again.

Yeah, i really liked the
vertical shooting segments. really cool how they did that, with the cover and all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, Chapter 12 through the end of that "zone" (chapter 15ish?) was so, so much better than everything preceding it. And it was basically story-free. That's -- uh -- a little damning.

Creamium said:
Crushing hasn't been that hard or frustrating thus far, at least until the
convoy horse chase
. Didn't even expect to have any trouble, but a mistake is instant death there. Otherwise fairly smooth sailing, easily the easiest of the 3 for Crushing.

Yeah that whole section is just brilliant stuff. I am almost there on crushing.

patsu

Rez said:
Ok, Chapter 12 through the end of that "zone" was so, so much better than everything preceding it. And it was basically story-free. That's -- uh -- a little damning.

Heh heh, I hated that area at first. After I got some sense of the layout (aka after a few deaths), it finally clicked. Then I wished more enemies show up. ^_^

Trick_GSF

Banned
I, as much as I love Uncharted 3, must admit I found myself looking forward to combat situations less. Er, quite a lot less.

I also agree there were too many snipers/shotgunners. Also, dudes constantly rushing me when in cover and engaging in melee combat was sometimes infuriating. In Uncharted 1/2 when this happens you can just pop a few shots on run & gun style an punch them in the chin, lovely jubbly. Though that feels harder to accomplish in U3.

Just felt a bit more awkward. The aiming I've got used to for the most part, but it did feel.. strange. I noticed this pretty much as soon as I started shooting, but I've gotten used to it more or less.

Gregorn

Trick_GSF said:
Also, dudes constantly rushing me when in cover and engaging in melee combat was sometimes infuriating. In Uncharted 1/2 when this happens you can just pop a few shots on run & gun style an punch them in the chin, lovely jubbly. Though that feels harder to accomplish in U3.

Yeah, that's really annoying. You can't just roll away from it either as you'll grab them instead.

KingDizzi

Banned
Only played this game for a couple hours but fucking wow, if UC3 can't be called an interactive movie I don't know what can. Like a fucking budget movie, feel sorry for anyone that did not rent this game. Would love to be told that will change later on in the game but I doubt it. :/

Just finished the 7th chapter, the firefights in this are fantastic, I don't have any problems with the controls anymore, they are different that's true. It took a while to get used to but it feels normal to me now. Can't put the game down.

Stealthing is balls though, enemies can see behind cover apparently, so I just stick to shooting.

stupei

BruceLeeRoy said:
There are a couple arena like settings in the early chapters that I complete agree with this mentality. You basically have to rush the melee guys and hope you get every moment down just right in order to pass it. However, starting with the
tanker
and going all the way to the end of the game you are given ample freedom along with weapons and abilities to get easily passed all those sections. The
tanker
level was fantastic. You could beat that part in so many different ways. Guy is raining a mini-gun down on you. Snipe him
swim
passed everyone and up the ramp take control of mini-gun and mow guys down. Don't like that go around the left side using the rifle and make your way over to the grenader. Take him out and unleash on all the guys below. Want to be sneakier keep going from platform to platform and getting behind the guys. Its fantastic.

I would say the very first shipyard encounter is very frustrating too but the more I think about it I think it's because of poor checkpointing more than anything else. When you die the game restarts you (or at least did with me) at a spot right in front of the turret with two guys rushing toward you from the front and someone with the shotgun approaching quickly from the rear. Very frustrating and discourages you from traversing the environment at first, because it doesn't feel as if there's anywhere to go.

But I will agree that most of the combat encounters from around that point on were much improved from those earlier. I enjoyed almost everything that happened up to
Syria
but from that point until late in the
shipyard environment
, the combat was largely disappointing.

amorbis said:
So do I actually have to kill the guy?

And yes, it's the part where the boat keeps tipping.

You need to
pick off his armor bit by bit. Easiest with explosive based weapons but shooting the white bits of armor directly with a M9 or something will do the trick eventually too.

Spiffy_1st said:
Yeah, that's really annoying. You can't just roll away from it either as you'll grab them instead.

It's probably been said a million times already, but yes. Making the dodge button the same as grapple is insane.

Loudninja

KingDizzi said:
Only played this game for a couple hours but fucking wow, if UC3 can't be called an interactive movie I don't know what can. Like a fucking budget movie, feel sorry for anyone that did not rent this game. Would love to be told that will change later on in the game but I doubt it. :/
Hehe how very silly.

patsu

KingDizzi said:

U3 has more gameplay than U2. You'll see. ^_^

jax (old)

Banned
Trick_GSF said:
I, as much as I love Uncharted 3, must admit I found myself looking forward to combat situations less. Er, quite a lot less.

I also agree there were too many snipers/shotgunners. Also, dudes constantly rushing me when in cover and engaging in melee combat was sometimes infuriating. In Uncharted 1/2 when this happens you can just pop a few shots on run & gun style an punch them in the chin, lovely jubbly. Though that feels harder to accomplish in U3.

Just felt a bit more awkward. The aiming I've got used to for the most part, but it did feel.. strange. I noticed this pretty much as soon as I started shooting, but I've gotten used to it more or less.

I disagree on the basis that after chpter 1-3; i just couldn't wait to "unchartering" again and all the subsequent levels have delivered in spades. I love the combat and every time I'm knee deep in swarming enemies; I love it.

Been watching the behind the scenes vids (which are all great) and Im wondering where I can buy that black t shirt that says "Drake & Elena & Sully & Chloe" on it. The names are in white and stacked on top of one another like some sort of designer shirt. I love it.

dwebo

kx11 said:
i have to say the asian version of UC3 beats the rest

faceplate and steelbook , what else do you want ??
does the asian version have the white elena? maybe they got swapped by accident

Gregorn

patsu said:
U3 has more gameplay than U2. You'll see. ^_^

No waaaaayyyyy.

I frickin' loved the scripted events in U3, especially the
sinking ship
but compared to the amount of control you had during U2's events like the train and tank chase you do nothing but watch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dwebo said:
does the asian version have the white elena? maybe they got swapped by accident
What's the deal with Asian Elena, anyway?

Sidzed2

I absolutely love everything about the series except for its gun combat segments. All sense of pacing goes out the window as waves upon waves of irritating, bullet-sponge enemies flood the room. And to make matters worse, enemies now seem intent on running up to Drake for some fisticuffs, ruining the deliberate emphasis on cover-based shooting established in previous titles.

I made it all the way to the final level, and instead of being swept up in the story and environment I was frustrated beyond belief as I kept on dying, again and again.

I think the shooting works best when it is integrated into the platforming and "sprinkled in". As it is, the shooting just comes in big, clumsy blocks which impeded the experience.

jiggles

Banned
All done. It was a pretty amazing experience, but I have two major gripes:

- Far too much was shown pre-release.
- Just about everything seemed under-utilized. Between the story, the settings and the set pieces, I kept getting the feeling I was being rushed off to the next thing too quickly. I had this feeling with Uncharted 2 as well compared to the first game (which naturally squeezed every last drop out of the island), but U2 still managed to take its time a little here and there to give each major event some gravitas.

I guess it's inherently the problem of Uncharted 2 being so fucking amazing. Naughty Dog no doubt felt some serious pressure to up the ante and cram as many spectacular moments as possible in the game. It's a really unique problem. Any other game, and these moments would be the highlight of the entire thing. Whereas here, they're just punctuation, and that dulls the impact.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah,the pacing is way weird in this game. On one hand, they've scaled back the combat, on the other, it seems like they've reverted to UC1 style of LOTS OF WAVES.

There's nothing as clever as, say, the sign-post fight in UC2 in UC3 yet (I just experienced the box-art).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You really need to be aggressive in this game. I kind of understand now how ND wanted us to approach the combat scenarios. It's really more dynamic compared to Uncharted 2. While meleeing one guy, you can pick up a grenade and throw it in an another direction, killing two people, then grab the guy you were meleeing before and push him off a ledge, etc. You can really do some crazy stuff here. I tried this in Chapter 8 and it worked pretty well, so I love it now. It's much more faster than Uncharted 2, but if you fight creatively, it can be a lot of fun.

I just finished the
chateau
chapter. Look really amazing and loved the intensity near the end. That puzzle on that level kinda stumped me a bit, but it eventually clicked with me. Glad to see a bit more challenging puzzles in the game.

Also I really didn't understand that puzzle early on with the
knight statues
you had to turn. I felt like I got passed it with luck.

laika09

StuBurns said:
There's a steelbook?

The Asian (standard) version has a steelbook case. I think it's the same one as in the NA/EU collectors' editions, but with a transparent slipcover with the localized title and game info.

StuBurns

Banned
laika09 said:
The Asian (standard) version has a steelbook case. I think it's the same one as in the NA/EU collectors' editions, but with a transparent slipcover with the localized title and game info.
The UK collectors edition isn't steel, it's cardboard. I'd have imported if I knew there was a steel one.

patsu

ViewtifulJC said:
Is there some other U3 you played that we're not aware of it? A lot of watching and minimal player interaction this time around.

U2 shooting was piece of cake though. And the encounters with the final enemies were more of the same. U3 combat reminds me more of U1 (flood of enemies). I also approached the enemies in different ways more often to counter the AIs. In U2, the gameplay and story flows at the same pace. In U3, I spend more time on the gaming part.

At the same time, the puzzles, the chase scenes, and the platforming in U3 match U2 well.

I don't feel that the controls are taken away from me when I played.
Things like the hallucination, the desert walk are just extended cutscenes to me.

dwebo

Rez said:
felt drake and co. had too many white people (and then add cutter)
reach those untapped markets
setting up for an Uncharted set in China
accidentally fudged a slider when fixing glowy eyes
character designer needs new glasses
???

laika09

StuBurns said:
The UK collectors edition isn't steel, it's cardboard. I'd have imported if I knew there was a steel one.

Here's a (bad) picture of it; all the text/PS3 logo stuff is on the removable cover. It's really sleek and almost makes up for my online pass not being redeemable.

KingDizzi said:

No need to feel sorry for some of us , there are people putting time into co op and MP.

Grisby

Rez said:
It's weird. I guess they look more 'improved' but I vastly prefer their sequel counterparts (well, expect the eyes I suppose). It's like they crossed a line from being fantasy into more realistic territory?

Nate looks amazing though.

StuBurns

Banned
laika09 said:
Here's a (bad) picture of it; all the text/PS3 logo stuff is on the removable cover. It's really sleek and almost makes up for my online pass not being redeemable.
Nice, I had the steelcase for UC2, would have been nice to have it this time too. I actually thought the UK one was until I saw it in person.

leng jai

StuBurns said:
Nice, I had the steelcase for UC2, would have been nice to have it this time too. I actually thought the UK one was until I saw it in person.

Same here until I saw it in the pick up post thread.

Meisadragon said:
You really need to be aggressive in this game. I kind of understand now how ND wanted us to approach the combat scenarios. It's really more dynamic compared to Uncharted 2. While meleeing one guy, you can pick up a grenade and throw it in an another direction, killing two people, then grab the guy you were meleeing before and push him off a ledge, etc. You can really do some crazy stuff here. I tried this in Chapter 8 and it worked pretty well, so I love it now. It's much more faster than Uncharted 2, but if you fight creatively, it can be a lot of fun.

One of the things I love about this game, maybe because of the bad shooting or in spite of it, is that I always feel like a scrappy hero during the fights. I'm running out of ammo, I'm vastly outmatched, I'm fighting dirty with kicks to the balls and taking their weapons, I don't have the best aim but I try anyway, and I'm just running around everywhere trying to survive. Nathan Drake has tapped into that John McClane everyman personality, who seems to get by every crazy ass situation by the tips of his fingers, who just makes shit up as he goes along, and nothing ever comes easy for him. I think that has translated very well into the gameplay.

Chapters 12-19 were fucking sublime. Some of the best gaming this year. 18 and 19 were damn cool.

Plus fully decked out Desert Drake looks badass. The weird thing is, at this point, the aiming has finally clicked with me. I dunno why, but it works almost perfect now.

Top Bottom