• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

flyinpiranha said:
While the first two games had their really strange twists that seemed really out of place (
Zombies and an Abominable Snowman
) I'm hoping it's more well done in this one. Same with a better final boss than U2.

I would say yes to both :D

DSmalls84

Finished it up last night and while I enjoyed it, it was pretty disappointing to find that there were no unlockables. Why cut them after they were in the first two games?

CozMick

Banned
Are the multiplayer servers down? I keep getting an error telling me to check my NAT setings, which is NAT 1 :\

EDIT:: nm, sorted it

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DSmalls84 said:
Finished it up last night and while I enjoyed it, it was pretty disappointing to find that there were no unlockables. Why cut them after they were in the first two games?
I'm very disappointed in this as well. I want me my next gen filter/Doughnut Drake.

EDIT: vvv
Wrestlemania said:
Based on the rest of the game, I'd say they were under pretty tight time constraints, so the exclusion of unlockables isn't too surprising.
I'd say you are most likely correct. Hope they get patched in later (but I doubt it).

DSmalls84 said:
Based on the rest of the game, I'd say they were under pretty tight time constraints, so the exclusion of unlockables isn't too surprising.

Raonak

Banned
when talbot gets out the knife in the final battle, i was suprised I actually exclaimed out loud "holy shit! a knife!" followed by "holy crap! he's actually trying to kill me!".

I don't know why that knife delt more dangerous than all the guns and half the shit nate gets into.

@aboves

atleast doughnut drake and doghnut larzi are in multiplayer. for a price.
Im thinking of getting the fortune hunter's pack. seems like it'd be worth it. 4x DLC packs and all the skins.

I might wait to see how much the first map pack costs first.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DSmalls84 said:
Yeah, the lack of unlockables and medals is a real shame.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game, really pleased, its a fantastic game. Among Thieves was so unexpected and new to me when it came so id still say that i enjoyed it a tad more.

Maybe im looking at the second game with rose-tinted glasses but
i felt that the main thing "missing" for me that UC3s story and locations didnt feel as fleshed out. I mean, you get a less satisfying ending, the build up for the different places and scenarios isnt as good. Chloe and Cutter just come in and then disappear not to be seen or heard from again, almost just to include them for the sake of including them. You jump from place to place without any real coherence, suddenly you are in a new place and then leave it just as quickly. You never feel that you are "done" with any one place before you have leave it. I didnt feel there was much weight behind it, if compared to uncharted 2, the different parts feel more disconnected to each other in 3. The variety of locales was great, just wish they had used them a bit more. And im not talking about more shooting sequences, there is more than enough of that, but maybe more story and puzzles though.

Puzzles were fantastic, wish there was a bigger focus on them next time around. Graphics were out of this world, they really nailed each locale and made it feel authentic. I had no problems with the "hand-holding" save for a few times, and even then its just a superficial complaint. Nate's swashbuckling style is done real well and the game really lends itself to playing it that way. The melee felt a little to scripted and repetative, even if it was enjoyable all in all. The context sensitive moves were great, but it still felt a little to static sometimes because each fight that was in an open area was basically the same, followed the same exact same sequence of moves. Story itself was interesting and they really nailed the mysticism in it.

All in all, strong contender for GOTY for me. Its gonna come down to Witcher 2, this, and hopefully Skyward sword.

rhino4evr

Played through Chapter 6 & 7 last night.

Despite seeing this section in previews, I was pretty impressed. I also liked the puzzles, although I figured them out rather quickly.

I am using melee more then gunplay, mainly because it seems faster and easier. I have like 40 melee kills and only 20 gun kills.

The ending of chapter 7 was really graphically impressive and was the first "wow" moment on the game. I was really sad when I had to put the controller down.

Rez said:
Yeah, the lack of unlockables and medals is a real shame.
Probably my biggest gripe. I love the game despite its flaws - most of my favorite games are deeply flawed, really - but taking away replay value is pretty hard to rationalize. I know it's something that couldn't be helped, apparently, but it had better come back for UC4 (if there is a UC4).

tigerin

so how is the multiplayer portion after the game release? still similar to the last beta? seems like no one complai...ahem... my bad, talking about it.

tigerin

badcrumble said:
Probably my biggest gripe. I love the game despite its flaws - most of my favorite games are deeply flawed, really - but taking away replay value is pretty hard to rationalize. I know it's something that couldn't be helped, apparently, but it had better come back for UC4 (if there is a UC4).

i don't really care for it too much, since i'm done with the game after i beat the story. will be heading for coop and multi after. that's where the replay value will be.

wrighty86

Neo Member
Ive just finished playing the cruise ship level and dear mother of god. I have genuinely not played anything like that is my life. The 1st real "OO shit" moment of this game, which is even more admirable simply cause U2 had so many of them.

I dont even know what to say. Well done Naughty Dog

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BeauRoger said:
Maybe im looking at the second game with rose-tinted glasses but
i felt that the main thing "missing" for me that UC3s story and locations didnt feel as fleshed out. I mean, you get a less satisfying ending, the build up for the different places and scenarios isnt as good. Chloe and Cutter just come in and then disappear not to be seen or heard from again, almost just to include them for the sake of including them. You jump from place to place without any real coherence, suddenly you are in a new place and then leave it just as quickly. You never feel that you are "done" with any one place before you have leave it. I didnt feel there was much weight behind it, if compared to uncharted 2, the different parts feel more disconnected to each other in 3. The variety of locales was great, just wish they had used them a bit more. And im not talking about more shooting sequences, there is more than enough of that, but maybe more story and puzzles though.
Weird how I had the opposite impression. To me,
the locations had a more cohesive feel this time around and felt more like real locations rather than disjointed levels (the one thing I didn't like in UC2 compared to the first game). Some of them do feel too short, though, and the pacing suffers from this.

badcrumble said:
[...] it had better come back for UC4 (if there is a UC4).
Probably on the PS4.
After UnKarted.

Sporran

gotta say im up to chapter 8 and mighty impressed.

The game looks gorgeous, am actually find the gun mechanics ok.

Loved the bit at the start, didnt expect that, nice touch to the stories. As for Chapter 7 OMG soo gorgeous.

Just love it when the game loads and your at the main menu, that musical score makes me go all goey inside :D

wrighty86 said:
Ive just finished playing the cruise ship level and dear mother of god. I have genuinely not played anything like that is my life. The 1st real "OO shit" moment of this game, which is even more admirable simply cause U2 had so many of them.

I dont even know what to say. Well done Naughty Dog
It was astonishing, but I still feel like they could've done more with it by having us
climb around on the outside of the sinking ship

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
badcrumble said:
It was astonishing, but I still feel like they could've done more with it by having us
Agreed.

CrankyJay

Banned
Goddamit, I read the thread before I played the game and now all I can think about is how sluggish the controls are.

p.s.
Young Sully needs his own spinoff series

wrighty86

Neo Member
badcrumble said:

Heres the thing though, I was really disappointed with the
ship graveyard level
I felt like there was an endless respawning of enemies and they was so aggressive took me awhile to kill them off. But that level now makes sense cause it added more tension to the ship cruise level.

I don't think Ive ever had a video game experience like that cruise level - my jaw is still on the floor.

tigerin

badcrumble said:

hell no, that would takes forever. a small glimpse is good enough. this ain't no freaking shadow of the colossus!!!

Shurs

Is there still an active review thread?

Tom Chick gave Uncharted 3 a 4/10.

I think it could spur some decent discussion if given its own thread.

I have yet to play Uncharted 3, so I don't really have ny comment on the review itself other than to say that it is well-written, and Tom does a great job of laying out the issues he had with the game.

Toski

Finished the game earlier and I would rate it at a 7.5/10 due to the annoying combat scenarios. I was also disappointed at the
fire demons
, they were underwhelming compared to the paranormal enemies of the previous games.

I got used to the aiming, but the gunplay in the Uncharted series is nothing I ever found impressive. Also the lack of "oomph" from the guns needs to be fixed in future iterations. When I shoot someone, they should react like they got shot, not still moving forward and one shotting me with the sawed off.

Toski said:
Finished the game earlier and I would rate it at a 7.5/10 due to the annoying combat scenarios. Having to deal with snipers, armored I was also disappointed at the
fire demons
, they were underwhelming compared to the paranormal enemies of the previous games.
I feel like they were fine (as were the blue dudes in UC2, really). The
spiders
, on the other hand, were intensely fucking annoying and never explained.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
badcrumble said:
Think of, like,
the bits in Titanic when the ship goes vertical, then snaps in half, et cetera. You'd turn the whole thing into a giant platforming level.
It's one of the reasons why I feel some of the locations were a bit wasted for being over too soon. I would rather have had a few less locations, but more fleshed out. What you suggest would indeed have been especially awesome.

D6AMIA6N

A 4 of 10 score is ridiculous regardless the quality of the written review or validity of the arguments presented.

Anyway, I am relieved that there is a consensus regarding the unnecessary changes made to Elena's character model. I can't believe they would mess with a franchise characters look that much without any explanation.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
D6AMIA6N said:
A 4 of 10 score is ridiculous regardless the quality of the written review or validity of the arguments presented.

Anyway, I am relieved that there is a consensus regarding the unnecessary changes made to Elena's character model. I can't believe they would mess with a franchise characters look that much without any explanation.
These two paragraphs together cancel each other out so beautifully.

Tadale

I'm really enjoying everything about this game. I agree that the controls feel a bit sluggish, but I've gotten used to them now and I'm working through the game at a good pace. There's a nice challenge, and I'm having more fun with the set pieces in this game than in 2. Also, I'm liking the story a lot better – love the focus on Sully.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Toski said:
Finished the game earlier and I would rate it at a 7.5/10 due to the annoying combat scenarios.
Some of the shootouts felt a bit like "let's put some pieces of cover here and there, and throw everything including the kitchen sink at the player". They were open ended and gave you a lot of freedom, but they didn't feel as tight and carefully crafted as the ones in UC2.

badcrumble said:
I feel like they were fine (as were the blue dudes in UC2, really). The
spiders
, on the other hand, were intensely fucking annoying and never explained.
They were also
in completely different parts of the world for some reason

StuBurns

Banned
Shurs said:

I have yet to play Uncharted 3, so I don't really have ny comment on the review itself other than to say that it is well-written, and Tom does a great job of laying out the issues he had with the game.
First line:
As a shooter, Uncharted 3 is solid
His opinion is invalid.

Actually, for the most part I agree with his review, although I think the score is a little strong.

Jocchan said:
Some of the shootouts felt a bit like "let's put some pieces of cover here and there, and throw everything including the kitchen sink at the player". They were open ended and gave you a lot of freedom, but they didn't feel as tight and carefully crafted as the ones in UC2.

They were also
in completely different parts of the world for some reason
Which would've been fine if they had turned out to actually be native to Iram, but nope.

Shurs

D6AMIA6N said:

He only enjoyed 4 chapters out of 22.

He's using the full scale, with 5 being average.

It's seems fair to me.

Once I get around to playing it, to me, Uncharted 3 might be a 9/10 game. Where Tom Chick has issues with the game's story, I may really enjoy it, but that doesn't make his score ridiculous.

The score certainly fits the tone of the review.

tigerin

Shurs said:

you know a site wants attention when they give a anticipating title a low score. ATTENTION WHORE!!! btw, never heard f the guy or site.

StuBurns

Banned
tigerin said:
you know a site wants attention when they give a anticipating title a low score. ATTENTION WHORE!!! btw, never heard f the guy or site.
Yes, how dare someone have an opinion that differs from your own, he must be trolling for hits.

D6AMIA6N

Shurs said:
He only enjoyed 4 chapters out of 22.

He's using the full scale, with 5 being average.

It's seems fair to me.

Once I get around to playing it, to me, Uncharted 3 might be a 10/10 game. Where Tom Chick has issues with the game's story, I may really enjoy it, but that doesn't make his score ridiculous.

The score certainly fits the tone of the review.

A 4 of 10 is ridiculous. If 5 is average, UC3 on just presentation, sound, animation, and characters, would be 5, average.

So based upon his score, UC3 would be slightly less then average, which if you have played the game, is simply not true.

Objectively, the game is better then average, especially when compared to other games which would be considered average.

Shurs

tigerin said:

Tom Chick is a freelance writer. He has written for CGW/GFW, 1up, Crispy Gamer, Game Spy, GamePro and a bunch of other places.

He's legit.

StuBurns

Banned
D6AMIA6N said:
A 4 of 10 is ridiculous. If 5 is average, UC3 on just presentation, sound, animation, and characters, would be 5, average.

So based upon his score, UC3 would be slightly less then average, which if you have played the game, is simply not true.

Objectively, the game is better then average, especially when compared to other games which would be considered average.
Maybe he doesn't value things like 'sound' as some objective aspect of a review as you do.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Someone forgot to tell him that Shintoki already gave it 3/10, so he was trying to undercut the wrong score. Race to 1/10 continues.

tigerin

StuBurns said:
Yes, how dare someone have an opinion that differs from your own, he must be trolling for hits.
LOL not my own son. anyone with a brain can tell uncharted 3 is not below average. 4/10 is just killing it.

Shurs

D6AMIA6N said:

What if (and I know this sounds crazy, so bear with me) some people don't break games down to their parts when reviewing them, but rather, judge the game based on their experience with it.

Kagari said:
I really don't think that needs its own thread at this point.

That's why I brought it here first.

It would be a 10+ page discussion, but I wasn't sure that the Mods would be on board.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kagari said:
I really don't think that needs its own thread at this point.
I really don't get why people (who even haven't played the game yet) seem to think that a negative reviews for this game need their own thread, but when for example Entertainment Weekly gave it an 'A' yesterday, would anyone even give a second thought thinking that needed its own thread?

Top Bottom