• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

The Chef

Kagari said:
You know you can sneak through that area, right?

I SO blew it on this part. Ended up in an absolutely insane gun fight and me frantically clinging to life. I LOVE playing the game this way. I'll sneak but if I screw it up then it's go time! I try and just play it how it however it's thrown at me, if that makes any sense haha.

i-9GDbnt2-XL.jpg

jett

D-Member
yurinka said:
Yes, in Uncharted 3 there is a realistic explanation for them :
Drake was under the psychotropic effects of the water that made him understood that Sulivan was killed.

I think this is an improvement.

At the end of the game, I shotted him several times in the head, and was surprised that unlike other characters who were shooted in the game, he didn't have blood after it.

Blood came out pouring from him when you shoot him. He's definitely human. No blood on the cut-scene afterwards I'm more inclined to believe ND didn't bother to retexture the guy.

wrighty86

Neo Member
Which chapter do you recon is the best on the game? Im gonna just be the first say that the
desert level
was the one I enjoyed the most. Loads of different ways they could have done this but I felt for Drake in those moments.

Also can I say that I think someone was high while making this game, so many trippy moments.

For me the worst chapter was the
ship grave yard
. It was so hard and there was endless amounts of baddies. Reminded me too much of U1.

Pranay

wrighty86 said:
Which chapter do you recon is the best on the game? Im gonna just be the first say that the
desert level
was the one I enjoyed the most. Loads of different ways they could have done this but I felt for Drake in those moments.

Also can I say that I think someone was high while making this game, so many trippy moments.

For me the worst chapter was the
ship grave yard
. It was so hard and there was endless amounts of baddies. Reminded me too much of U1.

Ship Graveyard was awesome imo o_O

Jarmel

Banned
jett said:
Blood came out pouring from him when you shoot him. He's definitely human. No blood on the cut-scene afterwards I'm more inclined to believe ND didn't bother to retexture the guy.

Do people remember the cutscene at the end where Sully shoots Talbot. Did he shoot him only once? So I guess he was wearing Kevlar earlier in the game and later isn't? They then forgot to texture him with blood at the end.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC said:
As I recall, he simply mentions that
he shot him
. I'm trying to find a YouTube walkthrough of the cutscene at the moment.

(Quoted for the new page. Yes, I'm a 50ppp peasant. :p)

ViewtifulJC said:
I shot him right in that DISGUSTING pantywaist coat of his!

And then nothing gets explained about it

Pretty much. The exact quote is:
"How is that possible? I shot him right in that disgusting nancy boy waistcoat. Well, you saw it!"

I'm stuck and don't know where to go. 5 hours into the game.

Drake/Sully goes to rescue Chloe in Syria at night. After the rocket launcher showdown, drake separates from the crowd that with Jason Statham wannabe. We're suppose to sneak to the tower but I see no fucking entrance. I tried sneaking past, no way to go. I tried killing them all and then looking fr an entrance; no way to go. The fuck is going on?!

I posted this in the spoiler thread, but i figure it goes here as well but with spoilers. I finished this game and there are a lot of things that made cringe.
The thing that made me cringe the most was the repetitive Drake fake falling sequences, and him hanging at a ledge or bars at a ship etc... I mean how many time do we have to do the same thing? The spiders did not make any sense. Drake´s real name was not explained. The zombie like body in France made me think that there are super natural elements in the game. How did Cutter got involved in all of this? And why? Marlow´s past. The set piece were made just to show the tech of the game, and not to benefit the overall story. Why there are no cutscene videos when we finish the game. I always watch cutscenes when i finish a game. And finally the aiming did not work well.
The ending did not make any sense to me. There were clearly some deep division between Nate and Elena, yet they reconciled very easily. And when Sully points at the plane i thought it was Chloe and Cutter coming to pick them up. I am disappointed that they do not show Chloe and Cutter at the end.

I always kept thinking that Cutter will betray Drake at any moment in the game. It´s nice that it was not predictable.

Drake does not have to sink ships, destroy castles, crash planes for people to get the point. For instance Drake could have sailed the ship to the shore, not just end up there randomly and without any explanation.

Overall it´s a good game but i enjoyed U2 much more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JaseC said:
(Quoted for the new page. Yes, I'm a 50ppp peasant. :p)

Pretty much. The exact quote is:
"How is that possible? I shot him right in that disgusting nancy boy waistcoat. Well, you saw it!"
I've been wondering about this too. I assume
that Cutter actually missed and was freaking out since there was some of the poison still in his system.

StuBurns

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I'm stuck and don't know where to go. 5 hours into the game.

Drake/Sully goes to rescue Chloe in Syria at night. After the rocket launcher showdown, drake separates from the crowd that with Jason Statham wannabe. We're suppose to sneak to the tower but I see no fucking entrance. I tried sneaking past, no way to go. I tried killing them all and then looking fr an entrance; no way to go. The fuck is going on?!
Same happened to me, there was one guy in a room the other side of the courtyard I'd missed and he couldn't see me anyway, so Statham wouldn't come up the stairs to trigger the cutscene.

jett

D-Member
Jarmel said:
Do people remember the cutscene at the end where Sully shoots Talbot. Did he shoot him only once? So I guess he was wearing Kevlar earlier in the game and later isn't? They then forgot to texture him with blood at the end.

Sully shoots him once only.

Kuroudu

EatChildren said:
To be fair, that's a heavily downsampled direct feed shot from a native 720p CGI sequences, so that particular image at that size would look very clean, whereas blown up on a TV and unscaled to 1080p you're going to notice the lack of clarity a lot easier.

My memory is a mess. After I checked this scene again through a youtube video of this chapter, I was shocked there are that much difference. Her face looks way off and the camera angle changed.

EDIT:
They didn't change the camera angle, took the wrong scene. Updated the shots.

Sorry for the youtube compression. I am not comparing the quality of the shots but the changes they made.

Old
L5NdJ.jpg

New
Zu3Ih.png

JaseC

RoboPlato said:
I've been wondering about this too. I assume
that Cutter actually missed and was freaking out since there was some of the poison still in his system.

I'm not convinced -
the shot appears to connect with Talbot's body
. Regardless of how you interpret the cutscene,
Talbot's survival is very poorly contextualised

Pranay

Was it me or did any one love giving a kick in the head of the enemy ?

I always press the melee button whenever i jumped over to them

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JaseC said:
I'm not convinced.
The shot appears to connect with Talbot's body
Yeah, seeing the scene again I'm not so sure either.
None of the other characters said anything about him getting shot, though.
I guess that is the one poorly done thing in the game.

PhiLonius

Just finished.

Loved it but there were a few frustrating moments. During some of the gunfights
(the Ship Graveyard and Cruise ship, the second part of the sandstorm fight)
it seemed like the game didn't even want to give you a chance. The
Plane and Caravan chase sequences
are amazing and I loved a lot of the dialogue, especially in the Syria level. Don't know how ND is continuing to make this game look so good, with the exception of Elena's face. Not sure what happened there.

Also...
Needed more Chloe.

Preferably UC2 Chloe.

JaseC

RoboPlato said:
Yeah, seeing the scene again I'm not so sure either.
None of the other characters said anything about him getting shot, though.
I guess that is the one poorly done thing in the game.

I would consider that a good point, however it's counteracted by the fact that
nobody remarks to Cutter's insistence that he shot Talbot
. There is
Chloe's "We need to get him to a doctor!", but that feels like a general expression of urgency rather than a reply to Cutter's statement

The more we analyse this, the sloppier the writing appears. :p

The Chef

Pranay_ said:
Was it me or did any one love giving a kick in the head of the enemy ?

I always press the melee button whenever i jumped over to them

Yes! I did it once and afterwards I was wondering how I even did it haha. I think you hit X when they are leaning against and low object.

mr_chun

Anyone get an email from Amazon today with a pre-order bonus code for a "Nathan Drake Skin"?

I got one this morning, and it no worky. :(

StuBurns said:
The best chapter is the Chateau. And that comic is good, Drake actually makes fun of that himself near the end.

I loved the Chateau but then
both the ship graveyard and the Horse/Convoy chase shit all over it. Airport level was also damn good.

StuBurns

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
I loved the Chateau but then
both the ship graveyard and the Horse/Convoy chase shit all over it. Airport level was also damn good.
For me the Chateau is the only part that felt like UC2,
from the opening, returning to a jungle, to getting into the house, the mixture of puzzles, traversal and combat in a beautiful environment, witty banter between Drake and Sully, etc
there were certainly areas after that I liked, but I do think the game peaked crazy early, but I think that of the other two as well. UC2 never beat the Nepal environment for me, UC1 was at it's best between the first jet ski section and 'trapped'.

Paznos

Just completed the game on hard and thought it was great but I think I enjoyed UC2 a tad more.

I wish that
Chloe and Elena
were in the game more, especially
Elena.

I hate that the bonuses aren't in the game, no unlockables? very strange since they were in the first two games.

yurinka

Just completed the game (Normal, 10:30, 42 treasures). My opinion / review:

Pros:
-Visuals, music, storytelling, level design, characters, localizations, story, cinematic stuff, voice acting and motion capture etc as awesome as always, even a bit more.
-Generally everything is really polished with great attention to the detail (including voicing for foreign languages).
-New great locations
(burning castle, plane, arabic stuff, desert, ship graveyard...)
and gameplay mechanics
(vertical shooting, riding horses, some puzzle specific stuff, etc)
that add fresh air to the IP.
-Less endless shootings and more puzzles, storytelling and platforming. Changed the genre focus from shooter to adventure, something I like.
-Loved Charlie, the new character.
-The 2 main bad guys are also an improvement compared to the U2 bad guy.
-Tons of wow moments, a lot.
-Excluding the frist 1/3 or 1/4 part of the game, was really thrilled during all the game (the first day I played 12 hours almost in a row) and wanted to see the next stuff in the game / story. That is more than in U2.
-Some people mentioned aiming issues or screen tearing. Aiming was ok for me, and never noticed tearing.

Cons:
-Not as polished as U2 in terms of Q&A and minor bugfixing. 2 examples: during my playthrough I saw clipping a lot of times, and in a couple of places where I jumped and almost reached something that looked like a platform, Drake got almost stuck in middle air for some seconds.
-Sadly Chloe, a character I loved in U2, almost doesn't get focus in this game. I missed his sexy personality, jokes and flirting with Nate. These things that made the character shine in U2.
-I don't know if it's me, but both Elena and Chloe faces look prettier/sexier in U2.
-Enemy repetition : normal, huge and armored guys re-skinned everywhere with the same few attacks and behaviour. Missed also more variety in attack patterns (only the 3 listed above) and visual variety specially in the suited guys (more suit colors and not always black, different haircuts and/or body shapes, etc).
-AI toned down from U2. Only played it in normal, but I had the impression that in U2 were more intelligent, they tried to flank you etc. I would like to see that if they discover me, and just after that I hide and rush unseen quickly to another place they still think I'm hide in that previous place: in U3 looks like they have magical eyes that can see through walls.
-Melee atacks are better, but Batman raised the bar too high. Feels poor to have only the same button, and the animation transitions when fighting 4 or 5 characters at the same time look a bit forced. Loved the contextual hits, but I only did them like 6 or 7 during the game. Would like to see them more frequently in U4.
-Missed more "extra" videos. Only 4 making of videos? I saw more in Internet. After completing the game in normal, do you unlock more in multiplayer or in higher difficulty modes? Or are they included only in the Explorer edition?
-I don't have a 3DTV, please send me one for free because it must look great in 3D.

In short:
Really loved it, another masterpiece that is a serious GOTY candidate. But like every game, has its minor flaws.

Kagari said:
Making of Uncharted 3 is out now for anyone interested: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615554407/?tag=neogaf0e-20
What is this? A book? A DVD? An artbook?

cackhyena

yurinka said:
-Sadly Chloe, a character I loved in U2, almost doesn't get focus in this game. I missed his sexy personality, jokes and flirting with Nate. These things that made the character shine in U2.
Chloe's a tranny? I prolly missed out on some comic giving the straight scoop. Elena was the right choice, Nate.

tci

When the armored guys appear, the game really took a nosedive for me. Why do they consist on making games harder with insane enemies rather than actually design the game harder instead? If the rest wasn't that good, I would have broken the disk a long time ago.

Jocchan said:

I've only just finished Chapter 8, and I feel I can safely say that without the rest of the game ruining my feelings towards the character. Going on blackout was worth it when I saw the twist at the beginning of Chapter 3.

Don

Just finished and really enjoyed it. It took me just under 8 hours which is similar to my first playthrough of the previous games.

The pacing felt a little off a times with a bit too much location jumping, but still a great experience overall. The whole
ship graveyard to cruise ship
chapters are some of my favourite chapters of the series now. I was also reminded of the God of War series quite a bit during those chapters with how they zoom the camera way out to show off the scale. I can't really think of any games other than this and the GoW series that do that, but I love it.

Another great sequence for me was the
horse chase
. The convoy chapter in Uncharted 2 was one of my favourite parts of that game and this felt like a better version of that sequence.

JaseC said:
I'm not convinced -
the shot appears to connect with Talbot's body

I've only played up to Chapter 20, so I don't know if this has been explained, but this is my theory for it at this point:

Shot connected, Talbot was wearing a vest, faked dying because he wanted to fuck with Cutter's mind some more.

Bit of a fan wank, but it works for me. Theatricality and deception and all that jazz.

Trick_GSF

Banned
After letting the story sink in for a day or so, I've come to realize how much I enjoyed Cutter.

I liked the fact that he was quite equal to Nate in the fact he is intelligent and obviously knows his shit. In the Uncharted series, for the most part, Nate's companions always seem a step behind Nate in that department, leaving it to Nate to mutter to himself about clues/where to go next.

He is also quite witty, in a different way then Nate, of course, but still he had me laughing at some of his one-liners.

He just seems like a good chum, a decent guy. The sort of bloke you'd like to have a beer with, then go and rob some tombs and shit.

jax (old)

Banned
Yup; not a 10/10. I'd agree with eurogamer for the most parts at this point in time.

There's something missing in UC3. The aiming isn't as finessed so the
convoy section
had me dying constantly while trying to shoot that moving target while everything shifts.everywhere. For a game that is about shooting; the lack of precision and ease of shooting is .... not pleasing me. A lot of sections; i just run and gunned it with the shottie. Really... lazy? For example
the airplane yard sneak section... just shotgunned it and ran around and killed a hell of a lot of enemies..
I never really played like this in U2.

speaking of bugs:
the
choppy water texture in the shipyard area
actually disappeared at one point in time - bugged out til i died

tci said:
When the armored guys appear, the game really took a nosedive for me. Why do they consist on making games harder with insane enemies rather than actually design the game harder instead? If the rest wasn't that good, I would have broken the disk a long time ago.

I absolutely hated fighting the
terminator on the deck of the boat. I had to die a dozen times before I figured out the guy up on the balcony drops a grenade launcher.

Top Bottom