• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I absolutely hated fighting the
terminator on the deck of the boat. I had to die a dozen times before I figured out the guy up on the balcony drops a grenade launcher.
I never used that. I just shot off his helmet and headshotted him. I have no idea why people are complaining about the armored guys in this. There are more of them but they're really easy to kill, just like in U2, and there's usually a lot of ways to do it in any given fight. The Mag-5, Tau, and T-Bolt also finish them off with a single headshot, even if their helmet is still on. You can also knock off parts of their armor until they bleed when you hit them there and they only take a few more shots than regular guys. Your NPC partners can also kill them without any help from you. If no other guys are in the vicinity melee will work since they won't try to shoot you while you're engaging them, although that takes a while.

jett

D-Member
Pranay_ said:
Its kinda a wierd, their is quite less discussion on the mulitplayer

People are busy with the campaign and talking about it, eventually this will become a MP-only topic, just like the UC2 OT used to be.

Trick_GSF said:
After letting the story sink in for a day or so, I've come to realize how much I enjoyed Cutter.

I liked the fact that he was quite equal to Nate in the fact he is intelligent and obviously knows his shit. In the Uncharted series, for the most part, Nate's companions always seem a step behind Nate in that department, leaving it to Nate to mutter to himself about clues/where to go next.

He is also quite witty, in a different way then Nate, of course, but still he had me laughing at some of his one-liners.

He just seems like a good chum, a decent guy. The sort of bloke you'd like to have a beer with, then go and rob some tombs and shit.

Ha, yeah, Cutter is fucking awesome.

patsu

Cutter is even better in Co-op adventure. I love the part where Nate was stumped at a door, and Cutter showed him how to get out. ^_^

Liquid_015

Gold Member
To those who pre-ordered Uncharted 3 from Amazon,

Did you guys get an additional email from Amazon saying "thank you for pre-ordering" and here is a code for a Nathan Drake Skin for multiplayer?

Thanks!

Both this and Resistance 3 were huge disappointments for me in terms of enemy variety. For some reason both games lack the same menu of shit to shoot at compared to their predecessors.

Liquid_015 said:

Did you guys get an additional email from Amazon saying "thank you for pre-ordering" and here is a code for a Nathan Drake Skin for multiplayer?

Thanks!

I think it's for PS Home. Not 100% sure though.

Paznos said:
Just completed the game on hard and thought it was great but I think I enjoyed UC2 a tad more.

I wish that
Chloe and Elena
were in the game more, especially
Elena.

I hate that the bonuses aren't in the game, no unlockables? very strange since they were in the first two games.

Yep i really wish they had more Elena.

Dizzle24

Just Started playing...looked up unlockables..Very upset that there aren't any.

What the fuck!? Last 2 games had tons of skins and weapons. If I would have known before I bought the game...I would have waited until Christmas to purchase.

Boooooooo!

jax (old)

Banned
Represent. said:
I really hope ND gets a 3 year development cycle for their next game. As great as this game was, another year and it could've been a whole lot better. Sony needs to give them 3 years between projects just like Santa Monica.

I cant imagine what an extra year of polish would do

I don't think time was the issue. when I full wrap up U3, I'll do a write up and how I think they went wrong. I don't know who they had looking at these factors:

FACES. elena. distracting
shooting. also off.
pacing issues.
melee. boring.
seems to have a lot of instances where i went "what do I do next?"
companions bumping you/blocking you. Never experienced so much of this in the prior uc games. constantly.
movement seems worse in this. I also don't recall so constantly getting caught in corner etc el... and i don't like the constant look left/right that drake seems to do in UC3. weird.

also: this bit kind of felt like a bug but its pretty stupid and broken that when it happened; I was like "alright; that's just fucking stupid"
sinking cruiseship. at the very end escape bit. You can stand at the very end before the jump and the water hits you and you're dead. But if you jump; then they do a cutscene of you jumping off with the water into the sea. The instant death is pretty stupid as the water would have pushed you off the deck into the ocean anyhow.

Toki767

RoboPlato said:
I never used that. I just shot off his helmet and headshotted him. I have no idea why people are complaining about the armored guys in this. There are more of them but they're really easy to kill, just like in U2, and there's usually a lot of ways to do it in any given fight. The Mag-5, Tau, and T-Bolt also finish them off with a single headshot, even if their helmet is still on. You can also knock off parts of their armor until they bleed when you hit them there and they only take a few more shots than regular guys. Your NPC partners can also kill them without any help from you. If no other guys are in the vicinity melee will work since they won't try to shoot you while you're engaging them, although that takes a while.
Were you playing on Easy or Normal for that guy? Cause on Hard or Crushing you basically need the Hammer and hit him like 3-4 times with it.

It's only for that one particular armored guy though. The rest die pretty quickly.

KingK

RoboPlato said:

This, plus those big armored Gatling Gun guys in UC2 were tougher than any enemy in UC3.

Kagari said:
Never died once in the
convoy section.

Me neither, was pretty easy to get through. Though I missed
the trophy for taking out all the guys in trucks with melee. Going to do it during my current run (very easy).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Auron_Kale said:
Me neither, was pretty easy to get through. Though I missed
the trophy for taking out all the guys in trucks with melee. Going to do it during my current run (very easy).

Oh wow, I didn't know you could do that.

btkadams

i've definitely found it harder to aim in this game than in uncharted 2. i'm getting used to it though. loving the game so far! i'm not too far into it, as i have just gotten to
france
. i actually thought the whole
chase scene when you play young drake was incredible. it's awesome when you jump into that apartment kitchen and as you walk by the fridge drake flips the freezer door open and hits one of the enemies. so cool. the whole sequence reminded me of that one bourne movie where bourne hops from rooftop to rooftop and jumps into some apartments.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Liquid_015 said:

Thanks!

yup

I don't get all the "I don't knew where I should go" complaints while at the same time the game is called linear....
Sorry, but there is some awesome Leveldesign in there, and with "open" levels you sometimes have to look around, I really don't see a matter there.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tryckser said:
I don't get all the "I don't knew where I should go" complaints while at the same time the game is called linear....
Sorry, but there is some awesome Leveldesign in there, and with "open" levels you sometimes have to look around, I really don't see a matter there.
The level design is everything but open. The game is extremely linear (which is not a negative, just a matter of fact).
Not seeing a door or a ledge has nothing to do with openness.

Yeah, not really.
Most of the combat scenarios are amazingly designed. You have so many places to go to/climb up to etc..
Because of this design you sometimes have to look where you can go further. But I prefer that to a corridor with enemies and a straight path, which some of you seem to want (or not, because then you would complain that it is too linear and boring).

Went into Uncharted 2 to compare the combat arenas, and ended up playing from Chapter 4 all the way through Chapter 15 at the end of the train. There's NO way I can put UC3 above UC2. The final boss may be bad, but the enemy reactions to bullets, the enemy placement in shootouts, the TYPES of soldiers placed in the encounters, and the aiming are all superior. Even the armored guys are way more manageable. And not having enemies that seemingly abuse invincibility frames to rush you makes the combat so much more fun. Oh and the first half pacing is WAY better as well.

I get what they were going for by making them more aggressive to close that distance, but it just feels like they were forcing the new melee system down the player's throat rather then letting it happen naturally. If you want to make Drake a scrappy Indiana Jones type where the fights are all very bar brawl, and "take what you can get" the AI has to be adjusted to where they recognize that you're fighting and to lay off a bit until the player starts shooting again. And cramming every enemy type into those scenarios didn't help matters either.

UC2 >> UC3 >>>UC1

Trick_GSF

Banned
I also am throwing my hat into the "not fond of the melee system" club. In Fortune and Thieves, the majority of the time it was a quick one two in the cheek and they're dead. Now you get.. forced even, into a fight sequence that is fine alone or in melee specific situations, but nine times out of ten, you'll be forced to fight, hand to hand when another 10 dudes are shooting your tits off.

And due to the fact the enemies now rush you, it happens far to often.

Not fun. Better then a penis in the eye, but still, not fun.

thuway

Does anyone prefer melee on Crushing? I find the lack of on screen buttons helps out alot. I like the fight telling me when to counter not looking down to press triangle. In a strange way its made me like the combat system a whole lot more.

I am on my SIXTH playthrough. Now I'm attempting to get my first platinum. I absolutely love this game. 10 out of 10 the whole way.

However, I do agree, put Nate to bed for a while. Give ND three years for the next game, or at least launch it with PS4.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The problem with melee is that it often takes way too long to be over, and if you happen to start meleeing during a firefight on Hard you'll most likely end up dead.

Luthos

Trick_GSF said:
After letting the story sink in for a day or so, I've come to realize how much I enjoyed Cutter.

I liked the fact that he was quite equal to Nate in the fact he is intelligent and obviously knows his shit. In the Uncharted series, for the most part, Nate's companions always seem a step behind Nate in that department, leaving it to Nate to mutter to himself about clues/where to go next.

He is also quite witty, in a different way then Nate, of course, but still he had me laughing at some of his one-liners.

He just seems like a good chum, a decent guy. The sort of bloke you'd like to have a beer with, then go and rob some tombs and shit.
Hell yea, this is exactly why I loved Cutter.

Patapwn

Trick_GSF said:
I also am throwing my hat into the "not fond of the melee system" club. In Fortune and Thieves, the majority of the time it was a quick one two in the cheek and they're dead. Now you get.. forced even, into a fight sequence that is fine alone or in melee specific situations, but nine times out of ten, you'll be forced to fight, hand to hand when another 10 dudes are shooting your tits off.

Pushing goons against a table and beating them in the head with a fish is awesome... you know it to be true

thuway

Jocchan said:
The problem with melee is that it often takes way too long to be over, and if you happen to start meleeing during a firefight on Hard you'll most likely end up dead.

I honestly think ND should just patch it to where it takes a couple hits to kill a dude as opposed to the five minute fight on normal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone have a quick list of just how many treasures are in each chapter? I don't want to know where they are, just how many to look for without having to quit out to the chapter select.

linzin

Neo Member
Jocchan said:
The level design is everything but open. The game is extremely linear (which is not a negative, just a matter of fact).
Not seeing a door or a ledge has nothing to do with openness.

I'd like to elaborate a bit on this point.

So in the
Chateau, after you let Sully in and you have to ride some chandeliers to remove a beam, yada yada, you look around. You think, well, there are ornate ledges on the walls and bookcases underneath them. Let's see if I can climb up those and then jump to the upper level! ...no. You can't climb the bookcases. For whatever stupid reason. Then Sully calls you over and asks you to... right a bookcase. Which you then climb and use to jump to the upper level.
This is what I mean when I say UC3 has some shitty linear level design. It's not really open. It pretends to be open, but it's not.

Which is not to say that this is new, I guess. Uncharted has always been this way. It just seems worse this time around.

Trick_GSF said:

You can melee with a fish, man. That unto itself made combat fun. But yes, the moment you can get out of melee, just shoot the guy(s).

W1SSY

Just finished it on hard and enjoyed it. I did get stuck in a couple places but it was never puzzles, always something with combat. I really liked the ending, I feel like that is the way you end an Uncharted game, not the way Uncharted 2 ends.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Patapwn said:
Pushing goons against a table and beating them in the head with a fish is awesome... you know it to be true

As I said, fine in melee situations. Slapping someone with a fish, always good. In a major fire-fight, not so much. It's not a major problem, but still..

Pranay

upJTboogie said:
I'm not surprised based on the impressions of the MP being like the Subway beta.

Ehh Really ?

I didnt notice much blind firing as compared to ssubway beta

though G mal still sucks lol

KingK

I still have to do a Crushing playthrough before final opinion is set, but after having a couple days to reflect, I would rank the series:

UC3>=UC2>>UC1

I'm going to have plenty of time tonight to try out the multiplayer and co-op modes. I haven't played the multiplayer since the old Summer beta, so I'm interested to try it. I've heard that it's generally changed for the worse since then, but I'll have to see for myself I suppose.

Darkkn

Ah, should've known there is some goddamn bullshit firefight setups in a few last chapters. Classic Uncharted trademark at this point. If enemy accuracy was tuned down a tiny bit, some of those sections might have been awesome.

Great game nonetheless. Journey was amazing, even if story was a bit meh. Ending felt too familiar.
Last chapter was way too much like last chapter of previous game. Hopefully this is the last 'lost city' of this series

StuBurns

Banned
Hopefully last but one...

SNN2005JJatlantisNE_737370a.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
linzin said:
Which is not to say that this is new, I guess. Uncharted has always been this way. It just seems worse this time around.
There is one part, later in the game (
near the end of the ship graveyard
), where I kept trying to reach a platform on the far end where a few enemies spawn in the distance, because it looked like a walkable area (and I thought there could be a treasure there). Nope, you can't go there. Same for a few small areas in
London, before you enter the empty warehouse, and the outsides of the cruise ship
I agree that it's nothing new in the series, and that it somehow seemed worse this time around.

FHIZ

Game just wants to stay FFFFFFFUUUUUU-worthy, till the very end, doesn't it? In the... "low visibility" fight, making good progress, trying to get a grenade launch to take out the last truck, laying low in cover so I can heal, and all of the sudden as if out of thin f'ing air, an armored shot gun dude comes up from behind me, kills me with one shot.

*turn PS3 off*

StuBurns

Banned
FHIZ said:
Game just wants to stay FFFFFFFUUUUUU-worthy, till the very end, doesn't it? In the... "low visibility" fight, making good progress, trying to get a grenade launch to take out the last truck, laying low in cover so I can heal, and all of the sudden as if out of thin f'ing air, an armored shot gun dude comes up from behind me, kills me with one shot.

*turn PS3 off*
You don't have to take them out, well, at the least the one of the left, because I didn't. Just bail for the end.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pranay_ said:
Melee is awesome.

Moveset is quite less however.

I have used Kicking in the head and elbow drop many times lol
I would have appreciated the melee more if the enemies needed less hits to go down, and if you had more moves (and there were more animations for the bigger thugs... the multiple slaps to the face you gave them and their heavy kicks got old fast).

StuBurns said:
Hopefully last but one...

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00737/SNN2005JJatlantisNE_737370a.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'd rather see less overused mysteries, honestly.

Pranay

Jocchan said:
I would have appreciated the melee more if the enemies needed less hits to go down, and if you had more moves (and there were more animations for the bigger thugs... the multiple slaps to the face you gave them and their heavy kicks got old fast).

I'd rather see less overused mysteries, honestly.

Again bigger thugs it was lame. ill agree.

Hopefully we have a more polished melee with more depth in next uncharted games.

BeeDog

Holy shit at the difficulty spike in chapter 12/13, was killed like 6-7 times on Normal. Either way, the game because fucking awesome around chapter 9-10, and chapter 13 (
when it starts to rain and the storm is brewing
) is seriously the best thing I've seen on consoles this generation by far. I hope the game keeps up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pranay_ said:
Again bigger thugs it was lame. ill agree.

Hopefully next game we have a more polished melee with more depth in next uncharted games.
As much as I loved this game, I feel like the formula is starting to wear a bit thin to me. If the next game is going to be on the PS4 (likely, imho), I hope it will get shaken up a fair bit.

Top Bottom