• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

StuBurns

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Cause everyone except Elena and Jeff was a thief?
That's true of the first and third one too more or less.

EDIT:
Dynedom said:
It might be a reference to Honor Among Thieves. One of the running themes of the game was
Harry being a bastard who sold out his friends and also whose side Chloe was really on.
This I like a lot more, makes more sense too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jocchan said:
In Uncharted 1, the enemies had more mobility on Hard and Crushing and were constantly trying to circle you, so you were forced to dispatch them more quickly and to jump out of cover more often instead of being able to stay in the same place throughout the whole shootout. I sort of missed this in UC2, where they stayed a lot more in cover, but this was offset by the much superior arena design (which includes better enemy/weapon placement), shorter waves (IIRC in UC1 you could have 4 waves in the same location!) and bigger variety given by stealth and pulldowns.

In Uncharted 3, the encounters feel like a step back to the first game: the enemies are more mobile (to favor melee), but instead of trying to circle you they seem to be coming frontally right at you, ignoring your bullets. This was exacerbated by the more open ended arena design, certainly meant to give the player even more freedom, and the decision to spawn later waves before the last enemy is dispatched, to make them feel a bit more seamless (even though this had the opposite effect on me, as they were often people spawning from locations they weren't possibly hiding in throughout the fight). Both made the encounters more confusionary, as the designers had no way to predict where the player would be located or which enemies would still be around, thus giving the impression of them just throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the player instead of giving him some carefully crafted challenges to overcome (like in UC2).
Spot on.

Elena is slowly morphing into Emily Rose. In Uncharted 4 she will look like this:
L1Wb9.jpg

Sean

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I know many have suggested this, but what can they really do? It'd be very difficult for them to go with an open world setting while keeping the set pieces that the series has become known for. I honestly can't think of any open world game that has set pieces on the same level as Uncharted. They're usually much more simple and don't involve destroying levels. I'm really not sure what they can do to change things up while still keeping the the memorable set pieces.

I have no problem with the games being linear, it's that they've gotten pretty formulaic.

The platforming usually consists of Drake trying to get to the other side of an unlocked door to open it for his friends (which is weird when you think about it, cause other times in the games they show those people are just as capable as Drake when it comes to jumping/climbing). They all follow the same story beats of
Drake's friend getting abducted and/or trying to trick the player into thinking they are dead - this is the second time they tried to make it seem like Sully was shot to death
. Much like UC2 this game starts off with
playing alongside a new character and then having Elena return and join up with you after several chapters.
The climax of this game
was basically a rehash of UC2 with the convoy chapter of jumping from vehicle to vehicle, then finding the lost city, fighting new enemies, escaping from the crumbling city
etc.

Naughty Dog just needs to try to avoid repeating themselves and come up with some new unique scenarios. Maybe allow us to play as Elena/Sully/Chloe for a portion of the game rather than just Drake or something.

StuBurns

Banned
AgentChris said:
Elena is slowly morphing into Emily Rose. In Uncharted 4 she will look like this:
L1Wb9.jpg
She looked more like her last time.

Drake looks more Nolan Northish though this time. I've never seen the real Sully, so don't know about him.

About the name, oddly the third Sly game is Honor Among Thieves.

Jocchan said:
It would require some serious planning, indeed, but I'm starting to feel like it's going to be needed to avoid things getting stale. I'm not talking about making the game any less linear, and making it open world would be frankly unnecessary (not every game needs to be open world). I'm talking about overhauling puzzles, traversal and combat and possibly introducing new mechanics to make the game more varied. As much as I believe most of it was completely intentional, Uncharted 3 already had a lot of deja vu, but for the next outing I'm not sure getting even more would be entirely justified.

I'd be cool with that. I think the only problem would be that it could hurt the flow of the game. The puzzles and platforming in Uncharted seem to be there to add variety instead of being there to really give the player problems. Although I think that they tried to put more of a spotlight (at least in terms of difficulty) on platforming and puzzles than they did in previous games.

They could split the game into platforming/puzzle segments and set piece segments. The platforming and puzzle segments could have multiple paths (which should please the people that feel that the games are too linear) and the puzzle difficulty could be increased during those areas. I think that they tried to do that with U3, but the platforming is still easy.

wrighty86

Neo Member
BeeDog said:
Holy shit at the difficulty spike in chapter 12/13, was killed like 6-7 times on Normal. Either way, the game because fucking awesome around chapter 9-10, and chapter 13 (
when it starts to rain and the storm is brewing
) is seriously the best thing I've seen on consoles this generation by far. I hope the game keeps up.

Im still getting over the cruise ship

wrighty86

Neo Member
Sean said:
I have no problem with the games being linear, it's that they've gotten pretty formulaic.

The platforming usually consists of Drake trying to get to the other side of an unlocked door to open it for his friends (which is weird when you think about it, cause other times in the games they show those people are just as capable as Drake when it comes to jumping/climbing). They all follow the same story beats of
Drake's friend getting abducted and/or trying to trick the player into thinking they are dead - this is the second time they tried to make it seem like Sully was shot to death
. Much like UC2 this game starts off with
playing alongside a new character and then having Elena return and join up with you after several chapters.
The climax of this game
was basically a rehash of UC2 with the convoy chapter of jumping from vehicle to vehicle, then finding the lost city, fighting new enemies, escaping from the crumbling city
etc.

Naughty Dog just needs to try to avoid repeating themselves and come up with some new unique scenarios. Maybe allow us to play as Elena/Sully/Chloe for a portion of the game rather than just Drake or something.

I cant think of anything worse than the bolded. I ONLY want to play as Drake, its a story about him and his relationships with everyone else. Now if there was a Chloe spinoff, maybe.

I can see your point with everything else though. I loved the game none the less.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Chloe is perhaps the most uninteresting character in the series. There is one character deserving of a spin-off, and that is Sully; specifically, a young(er) Sully.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
JaseC said:
Chloe is perhaps the most uninteresting character in the series. There is one character deserving of a spin-off, and that is Sully; specifically, a young(er) Sully.
Sully is goddamn awesome.

krioto

Mr. Sam said:
Are we going to go round this circle again? The one where someone complains, then someone says they're whining, then another person points out that this game shouldn't be exempt from criticism, then someone complains, then someone says there's whining, then another points out that this game shouldn't be exempt from criticism...

No, I just believe that GAF is overly whingy and self-entitled.

JaseC said:

I actually think Chloe would be interesting since she's the only one in the main cast that isn't out to always do the right thing. Remember when she wanted to leave Jeff the Cameraman to bleed out? Plus it would be a perfect opportunity for ND to really make their Tomb Raider-style game. :)

After finishing the campaign and letting it soak in a bit more, I found it to be the least enjoyable of the franchise overall. Spoilers:

I enjoyed the story of Drake and Sully but I felt the Drake/Elena relationship was barely touched on or just referenced in passing. The new characters are fine, but the main three made me a fan of the franchise and Elena didn't contribute anything meaningful this time around. Drake didn't give a shit about her until after his quest was over - thus proving he really is an asshole. Drake was a jerk the whole game and didn't redeem himself at any level by the end. Especially considering the whole time everyone questioned his motives and pointed out he cares more about lost treasure than the people around him risking their lives for him. I was hoping at the end he would have to make a choice, showing his true colors - nope. He puts everyone through absolute hell for the third time, they get no reward, and yet everyone walks away happy into the sunset. WTF

Disappointed. We'll see how it sits during my next playthrough.

Sean

Banned
wrighty86 said:
I cant think of anything worse than the bolded. I ONLY want to play as Drake, its a story about him and his relationships with everyone else. Now if there was a Chloe spinoff, maybe.

I can see your point with everything else though. I loved the game none the less.

Not even for just one brief chapter? There was a point in UC3's story
(chapter 15/16 cutscene) when Elena thought Drake was dead and was planning to rescue Sully, she had a gun and map on the coffee table
. Something like that would've been a cool thing to play through IMO.

(Again it would only be a brief thing, kind of like playing as Catwoman in Batman Arkham City. The focus would remain on Drake obviously).

BeeDog

Regarding Cutter, does the player ever get to understand his backstory and why he's in the game at all? A yes or no will suffice (please use spoiler tags if appropriate) :).

Pranay

PaddyOCanager said:
After finishing the campaign and letting it soak in a bit more, I found it to be the least enjoyable of the franchise overall. Spoilers:

I enjoyed the story of Drake and Sully but I felt the Drake/Elena relationship was barely touched on or just referenced in passing. The new characters are fine, but the main three made me a fan of the franchise and Elena didn't contribute anything meaningful this time around. Drake didn't give a shit about her until after his quest was over - thus proving he really is an asshole. Drake was a jerk the whole game and didn't redeem himself at any level by the end. Especially considering the whole time everyone questioned his motives and pointed out he cares more about lost treasure than the people around him risking their lives for him. I was hoping at the end he would have to make a choice, showing his true colors - nope. He puts everyone through absolute hell for the third time, they get no reward, and yet everyone walks away happy into the sunset. WTF

Wut ?

Hixx

PaddyOCanager said:

There was a perfect opportunity to make Drake seem a bit more human when (late story spoilers)
he was talking to Salim in his camp, when Salim asked what they were looking for. He tells them what Marlowe was looking for then he could have said something like 'but I'm looking for my friend'.

Raonak

Banned
BeeDog said:
Regarding Cutter, does the player ever get to understand his backstory and why he's in the game at all? A yes or no will suffice (please use spoiler tags if appropriate) :).

He's a friend of drake and co. when nate was talking to elena, even she recognised his name.

Pranay

HixxSAFC said:
There was a perfect opportunity to make Drake seem a bit more human when (late story spoilers)
he was talking to Salim in his camp, when Salim asked what they were looking for. He tells them what Marlowe was looking for then he could have said something like 'but I'm looking for my friend'.

Salim asked him

Why are the english here

He said
they came for the lost of city of iram and then he does say he is looking out for his frriend

Raonak

Banned
PaddyOCanager said:

Well, his motives did end up changing,
He had probably given up on it by the ship stage. he had to continue to rescue sully, and continue from there on to stop marlow from reaching the djinn.

StuBurns

Banned
I was actually impressed with his motives this time. Not to raise the debate but this time I really didn't think of Drake as a bad guy. Greatly misguided, corrupted, but not inherently bad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SolidSnakex said:
I actually think Chloe would be interesting since she's the only one in the main cast that isn't out to always do the right thing. Remember when she wanted to leave Jeff the Cameraman to bleed out? Plus it would be a perfect opportunity for ND to really make their Tomb Raider-style game. :)

I may have been inclined to agree had Chloe's questionable moral compass made a return in Drake's Deception.

Filldough

PaddyOCanager said:

I honestly cannot disagree with you more. I thought there was a lot of nuance and subtlety in their conversations that made their bond seem quite strong. At the airport he basically begs her not to follow him cause he wants her to stay safe, how is that being an asshole who doesn't give a shit? The scene where he comes into the hotel to find Elena was also powerful to me, showing a deep connection between them that doesn't need to be expressed in dialogue. Why the fuck do they need some reward? Do you need to be rewarded for loving the people in your life or do you just love them in spite of who they are?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
SolidSnakex said:
I'd be cool with that. I think the only problem would be that it could hurt the flow of the game. The puzzles and platforming in Uncharted seem to be there to add variety instead of being there to really give the player problems. Although I think that they tried to put more of a spotlight (at least in terms of difficulty) on platforming and puzzles than they did in previous games.

They could split the game into platforming/puzzle segments and set piece segments. The platforming and puzzle segments could have multiple paths (which should please the people that feel that the games are too linear) and the puzzle difficulty could be increased during those areas. I think that they tried to do that with U3, but the platforming is still easy.
Yeah, shaking up the formula is certainly not going to be easy. The series has a pulp action movie feel and characters somewhat grounded in reality (despite the supernatural elements and the obvious overexaggerations), which means there isn't a lot of room for change besides exploring new setpieces and complementing them with markedly different plotlines (something they will most likely do in a sequel).

I appreciated the bigger focus on platforming/puzzles this time around, even though they were both still too simplistic and
there was no room for the latter in the second half of the game
. There is probably some room for improvement in both, especially the puzzles, but adding depth to the platforming without giving up its dynamicity is not going to be easy. Multiple paths would be a very good start, as would more tools to dispatch the enemies undetected (like pulldowns and dropping on enemies from above) without triggering a shootout.

Rez said:
Glad you appreciated this post, man. I thought no one bothered to read it.

Please let me add that the enemies coming towards the player frontally, instead of circling him, are probably a byproduct of the arenas being larger: with too much horizontal movement, the player would be constantly engaged from all directions, and the firefights would probably become even more confusionary. So, the AI behavior looking weird is probably the lesser evil here.

JaseC said:
I may have been inclined to agree had Chloe's questionable moral compass made a return in Drake's Deception.

Well, she knew Cutter, so she wasn't going to leave him. Plus his injuries weren't left threatening like Jeff's.

Filldough said:
I honestly cannot disagree with you more. I thought there was a lot of nuance and subtlety in their conversations that made their bond seem quite strong. At the airport he basically begs her not to follow him cause he wants her to stay safe, how is that being an asshole who doesn't give a shit? The scene where he comes into the hotel to find Elena was also powerful to me, showing a deep connection between them that doesn't need to be expressed in dialogue. Why the fuck do they need some reward? Do you need to be rewarded for loving the people in your life or do you just love them in spite of who they are?

Yeah, i'm also not sure what PaddyOCanager is talking about. Drake apologizes for leaving her when he returns to the hotel. There weren't too many scenes between them before that, but you could tell that there was some awkwardness between them because of that split. He never really acted like an asshole toward her in the game.

Sullichin

Going from single player to multiplayer is jarring because of the differences in aiming (and I don't even mind the aiming in single player). Got destroyed.

Salz01

Charted. Awesome ride. I won't make the mistake and compare it to the others, but as a stand alone game, It's awesome. Sure it has it's faults, but this series taps into that serial pulp action adventure so good.
I'd hate to be naughty dog designers coming back from a well deserved vacation thinking of where and how to take the series. But I'm excited for sure to see what they do.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AgentChris said:
What was everyone's playtime, hit ratio and treasures found?

Playtime: 8:39
Hit Ratio: 41.23%
Treasures: 60/101
Playtime: 12:something
Hit ratio: around 41%
Treasures: 80/101

I took my time looking for the treasures and admiring the environments (also, does the pause menu count towards the playtime?).

(._.)

Banned
caved in and picked this up. traded in 5 games towards it. had to pay $23 still though, WTFFFFFFFFFF

that is 5 games. just give me the game gamestop.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
definitely take the time to watch the bonus movies as the provide so much insight to the "vision" of uncharted 3 and the series really.

leng jai

All these so called "whiners" are still giving the game 8+ scores so the criticisms are all relative. Its more constructive than posts that just say Charted! or GOTY!

Top Bottom