• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I love this game, but hate the shooting. I was never a fan of the shooting in the other games either though so maybe it's just me.

Set pieces are amazing though. I love the chase sequences. Very Crash Bandicoot-esque.

Salz01

Sean said:
Not even for just one brief chapter? There was a point in UC3's story
(chapter 15/16 cutscene) when Elena thought Drake was dead and was planning to rescue Sully, she had a gun and map on the coffee table
. Something like that would've been a cool thing to play through IMO.

(Again it would only be a brief thing, kind of like playing as Catwoman in Batman Arkham City. The focus would remain on Drake obviously).

I think it would be great to play as other characters for some chapters. Drake takes on so much hurt that I'm surprised he isn't in a hospital for a chapter or two.

I still cannot play MP. :(
I keep getting an "Error Authentication Failed" I even posted a thread on ND's tech support forums and none of them have commented on the issue. I wish I could play the game, I have an NAT Type 3 but I can still play any other PS3 or Xbox 360 game online.

Tom Penny

HixxSAFC said:
Finished it on normal, bar two or three chapters an enjoyable experience. Uncharted 2 is the best of the 3 because I can't remember anything as annoying as Chapter 12 and 21 in U3, even the stuff that went down in Shambala.

Does not compute. That level was the balls.

Raonak

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Does not compute. That level was the balls.
what was chapter 12? I remember
21 being the one where you battle the fire guys, I loved that. they didn't feel cheap like the blue resin monsters. And the game was generous by giving you lots of thoes tau sniper handguns. 3 shots dead.

FreeMufasa

What the hell have they done to Chloe and Elena? Elena looks fine but she looks like a different person. Chloe looks really off. Her head seems to big, her neck small and the face just looks weird. She also lost her ass.

Lightning

Banned
Raonak said:
21 being the one where you battle the fire guys, I loved that. they didn't feel cheap like the blue resin monsters. And the game was generous by giving you lots of thoes tau sniper handguns. 3 shots dead.
Abducted. Your first chapter on the boats.

I personally loved both 12 and 21.

FreeMufasa said:
What the hell have they done to Chloe and Elena? Elena looks fine but she looks like a different person. Chloe looks really off. Her head seems to big, her neck small and the face just looks weird. She also lost her ass.
Elena looks fine in the later chapters. It's just her first chapter where she looks weird a little but she still looks like Elena... the only noticable difference are the eyes.

Chloe... who cares? I'm glad her role was small in the game. A disposable character who can disappear.

lucius

I think it is actually easier to get headshots in this game since now you see exactly where you miss and bullets go 100% where you aim, at first I was not use to it, but now it is easy playing on hard.

Tom Penny

Raonak said:

As far as what I remember the first ship level with multiple floating ships. I'm pretty sure that's when I was like damn. This is sick It was the first challenging level. First time they say go under water to avoid bullets. Tons of options that level

A job listing posted today on LinkedIn reveals that Naughty Dog is working on a new project. According to the listing, the team is looking for a designer for work "producing engaging and fun third-person action gameplay and levels."

The listing refers to "planning, level layout, setup and tuning of single-player levels, from high concept to object placement and scripting." The Uncharted games have each come out two years apart, so it isn't unreasonable to imagine that Uncharted 4 could be in development already.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211701p1.html

Liquid_015

Gold Member
RoboPlato said:
There isn't. I had forgotten to put my code in before playing MP last night and it made me put it in first.

Yeah I have the same concern because my own PS3 is not with me on campus, so I am borrowing a friend's PS3 to play Uncharted. So I am wondering if there is some stupid "multiplayer" key that only works once?

The Chef

Lightning said:
What was wrong with Chapter 12? That level was freakin awesome...

I think he means terrible as in dang hard, because your right, that level was really amazing.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Watching my Gf play chapter 22. The game is so goddamn beautiful

I showed my wife the beginning of the game
"Hey check it out! Look young Drake!" Wife: "oh cool" *goes about her business*
T_T *Posts enthusiasm on Gaf instead*

StuBurns

Banned
It might be 12, maybe 13, but I don't think the game ever got as hard as the
ballroom
, maybe there's some smart way to do it, but that was the only part I thought felt unbalanced.

The Chef said:
Watching my Gf play chapter 22. The game is so goddamn beautiful

I showed my wife the beginning of the game
"Hey check it out! Look young Drake!" Wife: "oh cool" *goes about her business*
T_T *Posts enthusiasm on Gaf instead*

Was chatting with my friend, she mentioned that she'd love to observe me play rather than watching the game instead. *laughs*

Lightning said:
What was wrong with Chapter 12? That level was freakin awesome...
I think I just hate
water levels.

Too many enemies, and the level design was a little confusing. I get why people would like it, it just didn't do anything for me.

The Chef

canadian crowe said:
I think I just hate
water levels.

Too many enemies, and the level design was a little confusing. I get why people would like it, it just didn't do anything for me.

I can totally understand that. I love when you first
jump in the water Drake says "oh MAN OOOH! That is cold!"

Metal B

Wow, the game was a real disappointment. The story was extreme weak. So much padding, need for suspension of disbelief, plot holes, hollow, illogical and unnecessary characters and just boring stuff. The gameplay was nothing new without any twists. At least it has great graphics...
I wish, i didn't pay full price for it. Well, there is still the Multiplay. Which was a lot of fun, the last time I played it at the GamesCom. =/

Ra1den

Why is the aiming reticule turned off in hard mode? Uncharted 2 didn't do that. Getting headshots is pretty damn hard now.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ra1den said:
Why is the aiming reticule turned off in hard mode? Uncharted 2 didn't do that. Getting headshots is pretty damn hard now.
Huh? It's not turned off.

Metal B said:
Wow, the game was a real disappointment. The story was extreme weak. So much padding, need for suspension of disbelief, plot holes, hollow, illogical and unnecessary characters and just boring stuff. The gameplay was nothing new without any twists. At least it has great graphics...
I wish, i didn't pay full price for it. Well, there is still the Multiplay. Which was a lot of fun, the last time I played it at the GamesCom. =/
Do you go into every sequel expecting more new gameplay than what UC2 to UC3 had?

Ra1den

Jocchan said:
Huh? It's not turned off.

wat.........it's turned off for me. Just started a hard game, in chap 4...aiming the pistol there is no reticule. I wonder if my game is glitching...

StuBurns said:
ballroom
, maybe there's some smart way to do it, but that was the only part I thought felt unbalanced.
Smart way
When you're pinned down at the bottom, run across the ballroom and under the balcony. Shoot guys with shotguns/grenades as they fall down.

Smartest way
All stealth. I don't know, I failed every stealth section

So Im on Chapter 9 of my 2nd run and it suddenly dawned on me that really, the first half of the game is like the best of both Uncharted 1 and 2 (until Chapter 12). In the final half Naughty Dog simply decided to go buck fucking wild.

jett

D-Member
marathonfool said:
Smart way
When you're pinned down at the bottom, run across the ballroom and under the balcony. Shoot guys with shotguns/grenades as they fall down.

Smartest way
All stealth. I don't know, I failed every stealth section

Stealth can't be done in there, there's just no way, despite what Drake says lol. This is where a weapons cheat might come in handy. Seriously, playing the game with only the sniper could be awesome.

Ra1den

wow, and I can't even see what my equipped weapon is or bullets or anything...this shit is straight up glitched. I tried restarting the game and same thing. What the fuck...

Then again I did recently switch to my CRTV for a bit, I wonder if that is causing this problem...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, something seems to be broken with Co-Op Arena. Once the three different objectives have been cycled through a couple of times, the game will start just repeating Siege over and over. This has happened every time I've played lately.

On that topic, I really wish they had kept a pure Co-Op Survival mode in the game. It's nice that they've added the more varied Co-Op Arena, but sometimes you just want to fight off wave after wave of dudes. In this game you can't. In fact, I think all the three objectives in Co-Op Arena should be available as separate modes.

leng jai

StuBurns said:
ballroom

Was it just my game or did people spawn behind you in that area? I swear I was camped in the corner at what point and some guy appeared on my head.

(And if ya dont want to click through to give them hits, they gave it a 4/10)
http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/9640.html

Man, so sad now. Since everyone was up in arms about an 8/10 review - seems like reviewers are coming out just to rate it poorly, because they see the attention it brings.

Game Industry reviews are bonked. (Sorry if im not suppose to post about this here).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Posting this here too:

CartridgeBlower said:
What up everyone. Didn't have time to come home and post my thoughts until now. We signed NDAs, but Arne just gave me the go ahead to post some thoughts, so here they are before the hypnotism pills they gave me wore off --

First off, the guys at ND were totally awesome and seemed to be fully genuine in wanting to get a fix together as soon as possible. I sat down and played with a couple tweaked versions of the new controls, and they were definitely more in line with the MP and UC2. They seem to have fixed much of the dead zone problems, and are adjusting the sensitivity so you can go even higher than what 100% is now. They were literally making changes ON THE FLY as we played, and asking us what we thought of them. They would tweak things like sticky radius, sensitivity, etc.

Also, they mentioned motion blur is definitely getting fixed for SP. Very cool. They mentioned more about a patch coming out very soon, but again, Arne has told me not to give anything more specific away.

All in all, I can say that while bringing Gaffers in might be a partial PR move, it didn't feel that way at all. From everything I could gather, they were genuine. I asked if they didn't notice the difference in control themselves, like many gaffers have been wondering, and they said they literally would sit employees down and give them different versions and they would not be able to tell. If the control code was messed up at some point, I don't know, but they are not taking these criticisms lightly at all.

Overall, it was super cool to see how things like this get adjusted and tweaked.

Arne, thanks a ton for being so cool, and thank Justin again if you see him on Monday!

Metal B

Do you go into every sequel expecting more new gameplay than what UC2 to UC3 had?
No, just more twist by making something new with the known mechanics. The ship graveyard had great ideas, sadly it were only two levels.

plainr_ said:
Just finished Crushing. Way way easier than UC2 imo.

any tips? any tips?
robderdowneyblackface.jpg

Metal B

jett said:
Stealth can't be done in there, there's just no way, despite what Drake says lol. This is where a weapons cheat might come in handy. Seriously, playing the game with only the sniper could be awesome.

Right, i tried it many times, but it was impossible. You can only take down two enemies silently. After that every enemy has view on another one or all the ways behind the guys in the back of the room.

Gregorn

I just finished it and that 8/10 review was about right after all. I don't regret buying it at all, but...it just didn't leave me feeling like I've played a great game unlike Uncharted 2.

The story at end game was terrible, loose ends everywhere.

Salz01

Kagari said:
Posting this here too:
That's awesome. Love that they care enough to do this. Not sure how many other devs would go about it this way to try and fix it to the players needs. Good they got a player to give some positive feedback too.

Metal B said:
Right, i tried it many times, but it was impossible. You can only take down two enemies silently. After that every enemy has view on another one or all the ways behind the guys in the back of the room.
Huh...I guess so.

What about the
French castle where you have to go warn Sully
? I restarted 20 times last night on crushing thinking there was a way to do it completely by stealth. Never could find a good path. Although I was able to kill about 4 guys in a row by stealth.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ra1den said:
wat.........it's turned off for me. Just started a hard game, in chap 4...aiming the pistol there is no reticule. I wonder if my game is glitching...
Ra1den said:
wow, and I can't even see what my equipped weapon is or bullets or anything...this shit is straight up glitched. I tried restarting the game and same thing. What the fuck...

Then again I did recently switch to my CRTV for a bit, I wonder if that is causing this problem...
That's really weird, looks like the HUD is glitching on you.
You should see the reticle.

plainr_

JumpingTheGun said:

Not much of an advice but on my Crushing run, I always kept the Para 9 pistol with me. It's the best all around weapon for both long range and short range gunfights. Also use your pistol as much as possible. I only use the primary weapons as a backup. And whenever possible, use stealth to take out as much enemies. That's about it really. There are no hordes of enemies to worry about unlike UC2.

Manp

Ra1den said:

same thing happened to me in coop. leaving the game and joining another one would make no difference... those people i was playing with must have thought i was an asshole lol.

had to reboot the game to fix it. but if you say rebooting the game doesn't fix it it must be that this glitch can corrupt a savegame :(

:)

Lightning

Banned
Metal B said:
/sign
Exactly my opinion on the game.
Do you base 4/10 on the game itself or the hype/expectation etc... you had going into the game?

Because, to me anyway, it's impossible for Uncharted 3 to be a 4... and if you really think Uncharted 3 is a 4 then you should either walk away from the franchise now or put your expectations in check. If Uncharted 3 did anything wrong, it's that it basically copied itself from Uncharted 2. There is NO WAY there is that big a difference between the games...

Ra1den

Manp said:
same thing happened to me in coop. leaving the game and joining another one would make no difference... those people i was playing with must have thought i was an asshole lol.

had to reboot the game to fix it. but if you say rebooting the game doesn't fix it it must be that this glitch can corrupt a savegame :(

:)

Strange, because it works fine for me in multiplayer. I'll try it out on my HDTV in a bit and see if that fixes the problem.

Top Bottom