• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

laika09 said:
Because Navarro wasn't a lazy QTE job? U3's boss is by far the best of the three.

why is he the best? it was the same brute fight in melee you've been doing all game long, just longer. nothing to figure out, push a few buttons and win. that's bad game design.

Defuser

Finally finish the game,man what rollercoaster ride for me and drake.Sadly like the rest,UC2 is better. UC3 took one step forward in modeling,cinematics and scripting but one step backwards in camera and the mechanics.

The melee system is terrible,takes much more longer to down enemies.Bring back UC2 or 1's melee system. Too many melee fight scenarios too. Another thing I'm sad there's no supernatural enemies.
Hallucinating enemies doesn't count sadly.

Did I mention Cutter and Sully are fuck awesome? UC3 really emphasis the father/son/bros between Drake and Sully.

laika09

Augemitbutter said:
why is he the best? it was the same brute fight in melee you've been doing all game long, just longer. nothing to figure out, push a few buttons and win. that's bad game design.

It's not incredible by any means, but it was decently varied and well animated. It was definitely a step up from Navarro and Lazarovic, by which I mean it wasn't absolutely horrible.

Blasting him in the head at the end was pretty cathartic as well.

Pookmunki

Trick_GSF said:
I forgot to mention earlier about these dudes in London. I noticed them on my first playthrough, and didn't get a good look but thought they was strange.

Then I saw this image (from ND Forums).

atu0ht.jpg

I also recall them vanishing into fog. I don't know if they can be killed?

So, what are they, dudes with funny hats on or some spooky supernatural fellas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVrJ1mqgqQA

First thing I thought of

Defuser

WTF,WHY IS THERE NO CHEATS/GALLERY UNLOCKS IN SP?!?!? WTF ND!!!!

I can overlook the other flaws but this is unacceptable!

laika09 said:
It's not incredible by any means, but it was decently varied and well animated. It was definitely a step up from Navarro and Lazarovic, by which I mean it wasn't absolutely horrible.

Blasting him in the head at the end was pretty cathartic as well.

i had to survive and figure out the previous bosses. i had nothing to play with in UC3. it was something to brush aside and move on, very static on top of that. you can't create something memorable like this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My wife watched me play the first five chapters last night. It was like that commercial on TV where that dude was playing UC2 and his girlfriend thought it was a movie. My wife really enjoyed the cutscenes/cinematics but read a book during the firefights.

Like most people she quickly pointed out all of the absurdities in the game play (the climbing around, getting shot all the time, the amount of people you kill), and then how realistic the game was in the cutscenes. I just shrugged and said, "video games".

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Defuser said:
WTF,WHY IS THERE NO CHEATS/GALLERY UNLOCKS IN SP?!?!? WTF ND!!!!

I can overlook the other flaws but this is unacceptable!
The cutscene viewer is apparently coming back, so maybe there is hope for the cheats to do it as well.

Trick_GSF said:
I forgot to mention earlier about these dudes in London. I noticed them on my first playthrough, and didn't get a good look but thought they was strange.

Then I saw this image (from ND Forums).

atu0ht.jpg

I also recall them vanishing into fog. I don't know if they can be killed?

So, what are they, dudes with funny hats on or some spooky supernatural fellas?
They're obviously goggles, to help you shoot them.

p2535748

Quick question about melee: is anyone else having a problem with melee on stairs (note: only tried this in single player)? It seems like if I'm higher than the opponent, I do a one hit takedown, but if I'm lower than the other person, I can't seem to hit them at all.

It's happened to me twice so far (chapter 12 spoilers):
once in the chateau, after it's on fire, and once during the ship graveyard sequence. The second one was particularly frustrating, because the guy was up one step from me, and every time I tried to attack him, I'd miss. It led to a couple of deaths.

Not, obviously, game breaking, but I thought it was weird.

Augemitbutter said:

That is pretty much the same as the in first game, which you seem to think was good.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Replicant said:
I really like his addition as one of the staple good guys. Uncharted can benefit from the infusion of more side characters like him so we're not stuck with just Sully, Elena, and Chloe as allies.

Yeah, I'd really like Cutter to be recurring.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kenshin001 said:
That is pretty much the same as the in first game, which you seem to think was good.
That was just the last part. The real meat of the boss fight was
surviving a shootout with breakable cover.

Trick_GSF said:
Yeah, I'd really like Cutter to be recurring.
Cutter will be back, of course.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Jocchan said:
The cutscene viewer is apparently coming back, so maybe there is hope for the cheats to do it as well.

They're obviously goggles, to help you shoot them.

Yep, possibly. I just went through that part again as I'm on my Crushing playthrough. It does seem like they appear/disappear into a puff of smoke.

Either way, they're not supernatural, but I still find em creepy.

Gambit

Replicant said:
I really like his addition as one of the staple good guys. Uncharted can benefit from the infusion of more side characters like him so we're not stuck with just Sully, Elena, and Chloe as allies.

And I love that Cutter appears to be a stereotypical English thug (that you could find in Layer Cake or a Jason Statham film), but turns out he is actually quite knowledgeable about many things. Definitely liked his addition.

Do NOT like the new Elena. Good God, she looks awful.

Gambit said:
And I love that Cutter appears to be a stereotypical English thug (that you could find in Layer Cake or a Jason Statham film), but turns out he is actually quite knowledgeable about many things. Definitely liked his addition.

Do NOT like the new Elena. Good God, she looks awful.

Agreed, though I think somehow it bothered me less in the latter stages.

M.D

Do we have any idea how much the game sold so far? I forget if there are there leaderboards in multiplayer? can someone take a look?

Metal B

brianmcdoogle said:
I know it'd be cliched, but the sudio's writing and acting seems to be good enough to pull off: I want a Professor Moriarty type antagonist for Nathan Drake in the next game. Someone who is his equal in every way. Maybe he was a romantic partner with Chole before she met Drake? Or maybe Elena tried to hire him before she got Nathan in the first Uncharted? Basically, we had the skeevy guy in the first game, the strong brute in the second game, and the... bland old Helen Mirren in the third game. I want an antagonist that is going to challenge the characters more than just "i'm after what you're after", because with out such a character, there's going to be no emotional arc like there was in this game.

They pretty much thrown this idea already away in UC2. Harry Flynn was pretty much the Anti-Drake. He cared much more for money and treasure then friends or relationships. Sadly this whole point was ignored threw the game and he became just an unimportant supporting character for the real anti-protagonist of the game.

Kagari said:
I thought the story was much better in UC3, especially the ending. UC2's ending pales in comparison. If you think UC3 was boring... I'm kind of interested in what you feel about other games.

Really the ending was better? It was the same ending and even the same place (just in the dessert) as UC2, only without a stupid lame end boss. Instead we have a stupid, short, lame and boring end boss.
The bad guys die without being a big thread, the supernatural stuff was just a dream, no interesting aftermath and the whole city gets destroyed because one tower falls down (reminds me of Battlefield Earth).

rhino4evr

I'm Playing through chapter 8, and I don't get the gunplay/combat complaints at all. It's a lot of fun.

I do think it's kinda cheesy that If you grab someone while in cover it's always an instant death. I was in a little bunker and got surrounded, and I just flipped everyone over my head.

Also is it me or does your co op partner spoil stealth? I was doing really well at taking bad guys out, and then that British dude totally blew my cover.

Lightning said:
You are being too harsh on Drake. In Uncharted 1 Elena is the one pushing Drake to continue if I remember correctly when halfway through Drake gets cold feet. In Uncharted 2 after the train Drake again wants to walk away but Elena will have none of it and pushes him to stop Zoran Lazarevic which he does but Elena was largely responsible for Drake doing it.

Now in Uncharted 3
This was something that Drake had wanted to do for 20 years, of course he wanted to see it through. Drake cares for Elena a lot, there is absolutely no doubt about that. The thing is, Drake is an explorer by heart and even when he comes back with nothing it doesn't seem to bother him. In Uncharted 3 though, Elena hit the nail on the head, Drake was obsessed with outsmarting Marlowe and making sure she didn't get what she wanted, whatever it was (Obviously it was the Djinn for power but at the time Drake didn't know that).

You're right. I hadn't thought about that. I guess I just don't like how
Drake left Elena or whatever happened after the wedding, and I wanted a bigger reconciliation between the two at the end

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
impressions:

slow boring start

crappy boss battle

undeveloped antagonists

random pirate levels

drakes motivation, his marriage to Elena and his relationship with sully was not done terribly well.

great set pieces though and still better than 95% of games on the market.

brobban

My biggest issue is the enemy spawn.
If there are 10 guys in an area, and I manage to stealth-kill 7 of them before getting detected. Then there should only be 3 guys left for me to take out, not 3 + a shitload of newly spawned onces.

Might just be that I enjoy the exploration a lot more than the shooting, but it annoys me quite a lot.l

Sorc3r3r

Finished.

I really don't know if this is better of U2 or not, but it's a masterpiece for sure.
One of the best games of the year, one of the best games of this generation.

Enjoyed the story, the firefights, the puzzles, the platforming even the melee towards the end.

One thing i want more is pure exploration, i know the roots of this game are in a cinematic experience, but not to be able to find a hidden/alternative path by myself in such gorgeus ambients is depressing for me.

So another gem in the crown for ND.

i_am_ben said:
impressions:

slow boring start

crappy boss battle

undeveloped antagonists

random pirate levels

drakes motivation, his marriage to Elena and his relationship with sully was not done terribly well.

great set pieces though and still better than 95% of games on the market.

I agree completely with all points (just finished this morning). UC2 still my personal favourite mostly due to the setting and set-pieces. This is not far behind though.

Finished it.

The game had a pretty strong Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade current running through it. It was really good, but not nearly as good as Uncharted 2. The melee wasn't that good, seemed like a half-assed version Arkham Asylum/City's. I didn't really notice the issues with shooting. I saw the problem but it didn't really affect me that much (only played on normal though).

When I have time I'll play through it again on crushing. But that could be a long time with school stuff and Skyrim coming.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
StevePharma said:
I agree completely with all points (just finished this morning). UC2 still my personal favourite mostly due to the setting and set-pieces. This is not far behind though.

shame that they blatantly ripped off the Poseidon Adventure though.

PhiLonius

In the
Chateau level, when your climbing out the well and see all of Talbot's men
, is it at all possible to stealth that section? Seems no matter what I do I'm spotted/heard.

FHIZ

PhiLonius said:
In the
Chateau level, when your climbing out the well and see all of Talbot's men
, is it at all possible to stealth that section? Seems no matter what I do I'm spotted/heard.

I think a fight is set to break out regardless of how sneaky you are, in about nearly every stealth encounter. There's a stealth section later in the game, which has about 7 or 8 guards you can take out stealthily, but then there are two guards at a door that won't move from their posts. You can kill one, but sure enough, as soon as you do something, the real fight breaks out.

Kind of annoying if you ask me. Go through the trouble of sneaking around to kill a bunch of people, but despite all your effort, an equal amount of enemies, if not more, are going to pop out anyways.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari said:
That's the same steelbook that comes with the American CE.

i_am_ben said:
shame that they blatantly ripped off the Poseidon Adventure though.

Not really, that ship was capsized by a rogue wave.
Not by Drake blowing a hole in it :p

Anteater

are there areas that you could completely stealth through? I didn't really try for any of the areas because the maps are pretty small, some of the maps after the midway point
like the boat
makes sense
because there were water to hide in
, but I usually find myself in a really terrible position if I got too far ahead after taking out a few enemies with stealth, so if I fail the rest would rush me and I might not find a cover quick enough to take out the rest.

Edit: that asian steelbook is kind of good because it costs the same as the normal game version I think, so it's kind of like an alternative.

Darkkn

For me, this game really highlighted that this treasure hunting genre is actually really awful for storytelling. A lot of storytelling time gets wasted on boilerplate historical BS, which doesn't have much relevance to the characters of the game.

I'd like to see ND make a James Bond -like game. It could use every game mechanic of UC, except maybe not so much puzzles. Benefit would be that plotting could be more relevant to actual story telling and modern day concerns in general, leading to a more relevant overall story with less time wasted on things that are pretty unrelated to characters.

FHIZ

Anteater said:
are there areas that you could completely stealth through? I didn't really try for any of the areas because the maps are pretty small, some of the maps after the midway point
like the boat
makes sense
because there were water to hide in
, but I usually find myself in a really terrible position if I got too far ahead after taking out a few enemies with stealth, so if I fail the rest would rush me and I might not find a cover quick enough to take out the rest.

I really can't recall any section where you take out more than two or three dudes in stealth mode, then move on. I think all the big sections with guys roaming around and Drake saying "okay, let's do this quietly" always end up in a firefight. The only sections I can think of are like going through a hall way, and you can take out a guy in stealth, but if you fuck up, they're just going to start shooting, no one else shows up.

I think the
ship grave yard
may be doable entirely in stealth, but I'm not entirely sure on that. From what I've seen, the big stealth sections are just "eliminate as many guys as you can before everyone starts shooting at you"

rhino4evr

brobban said:
My biggest issue is the enemy spawn.
If there are 10 guys in an area, and I manage to stealth-kill 7 of them before getting detected. Then there should only be 3 guys left for me to take out, not 3 + a shitload of newly spawned onces.

Might just be that I enjoy the exploration a lot more than the shooting, but it annoys me quite a lot.l
To be fair, that's been in all the Uncharted games. A lot of that has to do with the amount of soilders that can be on the screen at one time.

FHIZ said:
I really can't recall any section where you take out more than two or three dudes in stealth mode, then move on. I think all the big sections with guys roaming around and Drake saying "okay, let's do this quietly" always end up in a firefight. The only sections I can think of are like going through a hall way, and you can take out a guy in stealth, but if you fuck up, they're just going to start shooting, no one else shows up.
There's one section in Syria
Right after the whole rocket launcher thing and you're alone with Charlie. You can take down seven guys without triggering anything.

FHIZ

Crewnh said:
There's one section in Syria
Right after the whole rocket launcher thing and you're alone with Charlie. You can take down seven guys without triggering anything.
What chapter number was that? I think I may remember it, but quite honestly, a lot of my memory of specific chapters have gone out the window when I just start getting pissed about how ruthless some of the firefights are.

Anteater

One thing I noticed is that enemies with handguns aims/snipes better than the snipers in this game :lol

I don't recall ever being shot by snipers but the handgun guys shoots me from miles away.

Flayer

Does anyone know the actual content of the Fortune Hunter season pass thing yet? I know its 4 map packs and 3 character maps, but any info beyond that?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just went out and randomly bought this.... Just too hold me over until mw3. Hope it's as fun as the others

Poona

Jocchan said:

Is there more info on this? Have tried doing an Internet search and couldn't find anything solid.

Was really bummed to find that I couldn't replay a cut scene. They do all that work to do them and then not let you easily replay them? Anyway mostly just wanted to do it as I was playing the game a cutscene happened, had to leave the tv for a quick moment, then came back and had no idea of what had just happened. Looked through the menus and all I could find was some gallery and treasures I'd found. :(

Top Bottom