• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

WebScud

Flayer said:
Does anyone know the actual content of the Fortune Hunter season pass thing yet? I know its 4 map packs and 3 character maps, but any info beyond that?

The three day one skin packs are what you get. No news on the maps yet. If I had to guess, they're going to be spread out across nine months.

Relix said:
Just went out and randomly bought this.... Just too hold me over until mw3. Hope it's as fun as the others

I think it's not as fun but more interesting. Really surprised at some of the themes ND went with in this game.

PhiLonius

Yeah. Don't think stealth-ing the Chateau section is possible. If you go right, there is no one you could possibly take out without being detected and going left immediately alerts the guards. Don't remember it being like this in UC2.

FHIZ said:
I really can't recall any section where you take out more than two or three dudes in stealth mode, then move on. I think all the big sections with guys roaming around and Drake saying "okay, let's do this quietly" always end up in a firefight. The only sections I can think of are like going through a hall way, and you can take out a guy in stealth, but if you fuck up, they're just going to start shooting, no one else shows up.

I think the
ship grave yard
may be doable entirely in stealth, but I'm not entirely sure on that. From what I've seen, the big stealth sections are just "eliminate as many guys as you can before everyone starts shooting at you"

The problem with that section is that it might be doable entirely in stealth, but once you die the first time, they respawn you having already been detected.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The only section I completed entirely in stealth was in chapter 8, where there are suits on 3 floors in a small building. Pretty easy to do, but still very rewarding.

The further I get in UC2, the more I notice how bad the combat sections were in UC3, and the more I smh @ the 8/10 craze that hit this site a few days ago. 8/10 is a completely fair score if we're dealing with the campaign which is probably the major draw to the game. Everyone that defends the combat scenarios says "It's all good because you just have to stay on the move, and there are a ton of ways to deal with the enemies." But that's not the issue here. The combat areas are complete Man vs. Army chaos with AI logic, enemy placement, horde waves, enemy types, and lack of bullet reactions reminiscent of a game from a much less talented developer.

Then I read stuff that claim this is a revolution of some sorts, and UC3 is the second coming and it's like...no. People are being glamored by the set pieces. If something like Army of Two, or whatever other 3rd person shooter came out with these combat arenas, it would be getting 7/10 scores across the board.

Hazelhurst

I literally teared up during the
plane crash sequence
last night. It is so beautifully executed. I was mostly on media blackout towards the end so it may have affected me more than some. I'm on chapter 20 and having a great time so far.

I envy the casuals, who have never heard of Gaf for example, that pick this up unaware about anything they're about to experience. Since this is essentially a playable action-adventure movie, I feel it will have the greatest impact on the unexpected. As a result, word of mouth will spread the epicness of Uncharted 3 like the
fires that consumed the chateau in Eastern France

yurinka

After a couple of days, reading this entire thread I realized U3 doesn't have U2 like epic boss fights
(vs helicopter in roofs and train, vs tank)
, my favorite U2 moments.
Loudninja said:
I would like to see a prison level for UC4, that would be interesting.

What would you guy like to see next?
For Uncharted 4, I would ask:
-Pyramids
-Jerusalem
-Vatican
-Barcelona (random bar, gothic quarter, Sagrada Familia?)
-Atlantis
-More secret societies stuff. Masonery or Illuminatti stuff?
-This time the vs convoy stuff would be while snowboarding
-More enemy diversity (both in terms of character design and behaviour / attack patterns)
-Epic boss fights back. This time vs a Harrier?
-Cutter is back, Chloe gets more focus
-Learn from Batman to improve the melee attacks
-Add more SP unlockable extras, I missed stuff in U3 (more making of videos, cutscene viewer, etc)
-After snow in U2 and sand in U3, in U4 would be fire

Well, I was torn because of the stupid aiming issues but fuck it, this is my GOTY.

There are some issues, it's not entirely original or revolutionary, but who cares? For me it's fun as hell. Reminds me of Megaman Legends, or Dark Souls. Both are great games but with a few issues, but dwelling on the cons do take a LOT of the fun out of something.

So yeah Naughty Dog, can't wait what you come up with next :D

Crewnh said:
There's one section in Syria
Right after the whole rocket launcher thing and you're alone with Charlie. You can take down seven guys without triggering anything.

I remembered that part.
I managed to do that and the game glitched. Cutter won't move to the tower like he was supposed to. Ended up with me shooting the sky to make some guards spawn and Cutter was responsive again.

hamchan

So 15 chapters on crushing difficulty completed and I think I've passed most of the hard bits. Can't really remember any parts after this being too difficult.

The Chef

Omg how amazing was chapter 18 (i think its 18)
Walking through the desert? When I was playing last night, as you are painstakingly making your way step-by-step through the endless waves of sand dunes. It was freakin me out. I now know what it would be like to die in the desert.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
echothreealpha said:
I remembered that part.
I managed to do that and the game glitched. Cutter won't move to the tower like he was supposed to. Ended up with me shooting the sky to make some guards spawn and Cutter was responsive again.
Same thing happened to me last night. Really weird to see that in a game this polished.

PhiLonius

hamchan said:
So 15 chapters on crushing difficulty completed and I think I've passed most of the hard bits. Can't really remember any parts after this being too difficult.

The
Sandstorm fight
?

Hazelhurst said:
I literally teared up during the
plane crash sequence
last night. It is so beautifully executed. I was mostly on media blackout towards the end so it may have affected me more than some. I'm on chapter 20 and having a great time so far.

I envy the casuals, who have never heard of Gaf for example, that pick this up unaware about anything they're about to experience. Since this is essentially a playable action-adventure movie, I feel it will have the greatest impact on the unexpected. As a result, word of mouth will spread the epicness of Uncharted 3 like the
fires that consumed the chateau in Eastern France

Friend of mine who picked up a PS3 recently played it, all three actually and sent me a message on PSN saying it was amazing, his equal favourite with Red Dead. He doesn't read Gaf.

RoboPlato said:
Same thing happened to me last night. Really weird to see that in a game this polished.

Yep, the game's a complete opposite in terms of pacing to God of War games. It begins really slow (and glitchy), but gets better as the game progresses.

I mean, I'm honestly used to glitches near the endgame but as mentioned, it's quite the opposite here. Haven't had any glitches yet on the last few chapters.

Most probably Naughty Dog worked on it first, and chose to work on the early game chapters later, considering how taxing the end must be to the system. Then they ran out of time.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Augemitbutter said:
finished the game. the ending.....

scratch that, the whole story was underwhelming. the pacing was off and i just didn't care about what was going on most of the time. the old wench could've been an interesting villain, but she barely got any screen time. i can tolerate a bad story and underdeveloped characters in some games, but since 1&2 didn't lack in that departement, i can only leave disappointed here. i wish ND would get more time for their next entry, i feel like this one got tied together at the last minute. the story is a huge drive in a movie-like game, i'm sad to see that they got high scores for this story across the board.

nothing in the game bothered me as much as this, so i'm not gonna waste time mentioning it. yes, the set pieces were great.
Lazarevic didn't get much screen time or back story either. That's one of my problems with the Uncharted villains, you barely get to know them or their motives. They're just there for you to fight at the end.

*escuse the spelling :\

Inanna said:
Lazarevic didn't get much screen time or back story either. That's one of my problems with the Uncharted villains, you barely get to know them or their motives. Their just their for you to fight at the end.

Compared to most games the villains are given more exposition than usual. Marlowe is actually fleshed out more than Lazarevic. Your right though I would love if they continued to expand on these people.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Scratch what I said about the game getting good at Chapter 10. The
ship graveyard
is one of the most blatantly awful combat/stealth encounters of the entire series. It does a woeful job of communicating it's structure and design to the player, and goes entirely in the face of what Uncharted 2 did with it's encounter design.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
EatChildren said:
ship graveyard
is one of the most blatantly awful combat/stealth encounters of the entire series. It does a woeful job of communicating it's structure and design to the player, and goes entirely in the face of what Uncharted 2 did with it's encounter design.

I kept moving in that section and made it to one of the back of what you think is the end of the map before I took out everyone. Was fairly easy since there's a machine gun back there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kagari said:
I kept moving in that section and made it to one of the back of what you think is the end of the map before I took out everyone. Was fairly easy since there's a machine gun back there.

Exactly what I did, but the sequence itself is littered with nonsensical enemy spawns (I saw someone else mention this in regards to stealth earlier in the thread), and broken cover detection that literally doesn't work at all on certain objects. It's really, really badly designed, especially in the face of the encounters in Uncharted 2.

EatChildren said:
ship graveyard
How so?

As soon as you enter the area, you see a bunch of ships with goons on them. Then the game tells you that to avoid gun fire you should dive in the water for a while. The way you should tackle the skirmish is with hit and run tactics, take down one or two guys, head for the water and sneak around them. There being turrets on two of the ships and one on the other side of the area made it all the more easier.

This is the area you're talking about right? I mean I agree that Uncharted 2 has way better encounter design but I thought this was one of the best encounters in the third game.

EatChildren said:
ship graveyard

Hm that's the part where I started to have a lot of fun with the environment and deciding the best way through. Everything before that had been a bit too linear for my tastes.

EatChildren said:
Exactly what I did, but the sequence itself is littered with nonsensical enemy spawns (I saw someone else mention this in regards to stealth earlier in the thread), and broken cover detection that literally doesn't work at all on certain objects. It's really, really badly designed, especially in the face of the encounters in Uncharted 2.

I have to agree on this, the level is draining. Not looking forward to replay it in Crushing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
EatChildren said:

The good thing is once you move on from that section it's a lot less haphazard. A lot of platforming and cool shooting while platforming moments.

Pranay

Ship Graveyard was awesome.

Didnt had much issue. Dive in and shoot, throw people of the boat, heck if i got stuck in a huge fight i just jumped into the water.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
BruceLeeRoy said:
Compared to most games the villains are given more exposition than usual. Marlowe is actually fleshed out more than Lazarevic. Your right though I would love if they continued to expand on these people.
One of the reasons why I love Eddy Raja compared to any other antagonist in the Uncharted universe is because they fleshed out his character a bit more than the other villains. He didn't have much screen time in UC1 either but at least you got to know who he was, what his motives were and that there was a bit of history between the two which was further explained in the graphic novel. But compared to him, I can barely remember the other two main villains from the first game.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Uncharted series is probably my favorite game series ever. I love everything about it and if U4 comes out for PS4 then I guess I'll have to buy a PS4.

Also I hope they go to North America in the next one. Like in the national treasure movies

Anteater

Meisadragon said:

Nice, I liked the paragraph they wrote regarding its combat and AIs, those problems they talked about were pretty much all presented in Uncharted 1, which was improved to a certain degree (or balanced really well with its map design) in Uncharted 2, but somehow they brought back those same design choices and elements into UC3, really kind of disliked that.

Crewnh said:
There's one section in Syria
Right after the whole rocket launcher thing and you're alone with Charlie. You can take down seven guys without triggering anything.

You can also stealth the section
right after you meet back up with Charlie and Chloe. It seems that if you want to stealth some of the sections, you can't stop when taking them out, it has to be done in a nonstop motion -- the completely wrong way to do it -- which is how I stealthed that part.

The CE guide says it's possible to stealth:

Citadel Visitor Center (the 1st encounter inside the main entrance)
Citadel Keep Entrance (the one I mentioned)
Citadel Courtyard (where you're alone with Charlie)
The start of Chapter 13: Rough Seas
3 guys in the Ballroom of the ship: 1st guy; guy on left; guy by piano (gives a Hammer)
The big Airport encounter (the description sounds like this one is the hardest)

EatChildren said:
ship graveyard

Exactly.

I did manage to stealth quite a few guys at that part (5 or 6) but once you're spotted, new guys materialize OUT OF NOWHERE! I wouldn't mind if those guys were seen sitting around BS'ing while you're undetected, but nope -- gotta have monster closets.

I loved being rewarded in U2 by stealthily "thinning the herd" to make the encounter easier; and in quite a few cases, completely stealthing the whole thing by either taking everyone out, or slipping by unseen.

goodfella

I just finished the game.

I think this game has some of the worst and most frustrating combat I have seen in a game for a long time. Honestly, after watching the bonus round, where ND say that they playtested the hell out of the game, making sure the average gamer could get through normal mode, I find it shocking how hard the encounters were.

The story was average, I thought the script was less funny, the characters and villains saw far less development (apart from Nate and Sully), and the premise to be overly similar to U2. In the end I just didn't care for it, but I think this may have been swayed by how frustrating the gameplay was.

That said, i enjoyed the flashbacks in the beginning and the sea chapters (minus the combat).

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
RyanardoDaVinci said:
I loved being rewarded in U2 by stealthily "thinning the herd" to make the encounter easier; and in quite a few cases, completely stealthing the whole thing by either taking everyone out, or slipping by unseen.
GOD YES!! I missed that too, I remember I was able to avoid quite a few heavies by stealthing the area and just totally avoiding them and moving onto the next section, especially on crushing.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
StuBurns said:
Interesting read. I'm really interested in the latency issue, and if it has increased over UC2, I wish they'd have touched on that.
It somewhat reads like a semi-review. I wanted to know more about the AA, since I noticed a lot of jaggies, especially on the shadows, but Leadbetter didn't talk about that at all.

Instead he keeps on talking about things that was already mentioned in Parkin's review.
It can be argued that the adventure itself starts out rather slow-paced, laying out the basics - you wait a full four chapters until Drake fires off a weapon in anger - but the quality of the game really makes itself known in the
Yemen
stage, which combines the ambience and atmosphere of the classic village stage in Uncharted 2 with a range of traversal challenges, great puzzles, exciting gunplay and a superb, exciting chase scene (complete with some highly humorous one-liners from Drake).
Its still a good piece, though. Nicely written.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
Interesting read. I'm really interested in the latency issue, and if it has increased over UC2, I wish they'd have touched on that.

I thought it was a lame article, didn't mention anything about motion blur missing either. Talked more about the gameplay than the technicalities.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anteater said:
Nice, I liked the paragraph they wrote regarding its combat and AIs, those problems they talked about were pretty much all presented in Uncharted 1, which was improved to a certain degree (or balanced really well with its map design) in Uncharted 2, but somehow they brought back those same design choices and elements into UC3, really kind of disliked that.
That kind of stuff has no place in a tech article though. In fact, they didn't talk about tech as much in this as most DF articles, which is really odd. It seems like more of an opinion piece. I hope they updated once the motion blur patch is out.

Anteater

The snow area in uncharted 2 was great due to the stealthing, the map was just well designed, you could stealth, take them out on the ground, or climb on the platforms, the trains had plenty cover space for you to hide in if you climb up there, and the weapon placements were also well designed and rewarding if you decide to explore the area.

Not to mention it tells you when the last wave spawns and show where those guys come from to give you an idea where to hide, everything just clicks and it was fun, I remember learning the map right away and improvised through it on hard without dying a single time, good times.

Edit:

RoboPlato said:
That kind of stuff has no place in a tech article though. In fact, they didn't talk about tech as much in this as most DF articles, which is really odd. It seems like more of an opinion piece. I hope they updated once the motion blur patch is out.

Yea it is kind of weird :lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ship graveyard was awful. The rest of the game after that is more along the lines of what I expected from this game but Chapters 1-12 were a lot more annoying than fun.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
I thought it was a lame article, didn't mention anything about motion blur missing either. Talked more about the gameplay than the technicalities.
It would be kind of strange to talk about what a game doesn't have I think.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I thought GAF was overreacting as usual to the bad SP aiming/controls. My god... what the fuck did ND do to screw up that? I am having problems getting headshots or just straight out moving the cursor around. Hell there was an instance where two enemies were ahead, I killed the other one and I tried to aim diagonally up to the right and get a headshot and the aiming cursor just moved in slow mo. Had to get out of aiming mode and re-aim...

What the hell? Game is good so far, but quite slow up to the point where I am. (CH4)

wouwie

Just finished the game for the second time, on hard, which was surprisingly easy. Other than increased damage, i didn't notice anything different compared to normal. With aiming sensitivity on max, i got used to the aiming and it wasn't an issue anymore. I'll wait to do a crushing run until a patch is released. Having played through it twice without, it's going to be interesting to play with motion blur.

I must say that i enjoyed it more on my 2nd playthrough. It made me re-realise how much i love the franchise. Hopefully ND will continue with UC4 next. By that time, new hardware might appear so it could end up on PS4. It's going to be a long wait...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Chapter 8 now... the aiming is so bad that I want to rip my hair off. I've always played Uncharted with my brother and always done cinematic gameplay for him but with the aiming, I can't do cool stuff for shit ._.

Bliddo

The
rooftop chase scene
was freaking amazing, so cleverly executed, with the right amount of breadcrumb trails, really great level desing.

Didn't really enjoy the first half of the game, but now it's really picking up.

Top Bottom