• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Papercuts said:
Just finished. If you're not able to take any negative opinions, I'd stop reading this post now. Pre-warning. :)

Overall, I have a ton of gripes with UC3. First, the things I liked/loved.

The OST here is my favorite in the series, for sure. It fit the pace of all the action happening, and even in Multiplayer it adds a lot. I always liked the uncharted theme but the rest is usually forgettable, but this one stands out.

The graphics, as usual, are nuts.
The jungle in France looks INSANE, even over Uncharted 2. I loved the water, the entire ship level with all the objects rocking around, and being inside that big room with the sideways chandelier while you look out the window and see the ship half underwater looked incredible. Visually the game is a nonstop feast.

I liked where they were going with the plot.
This isn't a total "like" though, as I feel like the story had way too many forced moments, like Drake just KNOWING that the piece of the ship he needed had to be in Marlowe's secret library, the entire section of no plot movement with ramses, and the pretty anticlimatic ending of Marlowe in general.

Characterization is as good as ever, Sully, Drake, and Elena were all great here. Even Cutter, who I thought based on the fairly generic appearance would either be a traitor or just get killed off, ended up being a great addition for the parts he was in. I genuinely felt bad in the scene where Sully got shot, with the way the faces all reacted. Chloe is the odd one out, she had no place in the game and really didn't seem like Chloe. She also looked like crap.

Puzzle wise, the ones in UC3 are pretty damn good. I think it's the best of the series here, BUT one of my biggest gripes is also about this same point. The game has 22 chapters, the last puzzle is in chapter 11. So yeah, about that pacing...

The game starts out very slow, there's a ton of maneuvering, you don't shoot your first gun until chapter 4 or so, and even that is only on a lock. It takes awhile to ramp up--and that was perfectly fine with me. I loved soaking it all in. For me, the game quickly peaks at the Chateau which is chapter 7 and 8, I think?
This was the most Uncharted part of the game to me, just you and Sully making wisecracks in a gorgeous locale, a good mixture of puzzles, traversal, and gunplay, topping off with a giant setpiece that combines traversal and gunplay well. It was an amazing sequence to me. After this, the game still kept holding up alright with me. Syria wasn't all that interesting, but it started moving plotwise when Cutter gets hit by the hallucigen, and to me PERSONALLY, I got really interested in the way Talbot nearly vanished after this, and later got shot but wasn't affected. Sadly, that kinda never gets explained, sooo yeah. I also really liked the levels up to chapter 11, which had good old fashioned tomb raiding and puzzles with some combat.

Chapter 12 is where the game gets sketchy for me. I know people keep heralding 12-15, and I do think they were interesting, but at the very least 16 on the game gets BAD. Not even sugarcoating it.
The locales around the water where you can dive in, swim around, and grab people was very neat. But after this, all the combat encounters start becoming clusterfucks. It's not even about the aiming at this point, it's literally just the game throwing way too much at you at once, without giving Drake anything new to compensate. OKay, sure, you can now throw grenades back, but the AI literally just runs straight at you. While you get ready to throw a grenade, chances are a shotgunner is damn near in your face, there's more often than not some variant of a sniper, RPG user, or hammer user. It gets old, quick. It gets cheap in many cases, which I'll specifically touch on in a minute.

The cruise ship sinking was neat looking, but it doesn't come close to the chateau for me. It's visually amazing, but there's one room with some combat, which isn't really affected that much, and the rest was just standard platforming(with seemingly no time limit, I felt far more rushed in the burning building, though I have a feeling there's no time limit here either). Then the airport. Oh my god, the airport. This area is horrible. The one room here to stealth through is just mindboggling, how the fuck do you take out the 2 at the end stealthily? I tried 2 quick headshots, even though the other guy had no time to react, they still "alerted" and here comes a giant wave from BEHIND, the area I just cleared out. Come on. Then you die and actually redo the stealth part...which it didn't let me do in the cruise ship ballroom. So now, when I actually want to not redo the stealth stuff, I have to anyway.

This time I try throwing a propane tank, shoot it and kill them both at the same time. Doesn't matter, alert, here comes an armored shotgun guy from the back, and a guy with a hammer on top of a container somewhere. Yay!

Now the plane. The plane is great looking, but is EXTREMELY SHORT. Just another generic big guy beat up, a shooting sequence redoing the sliding stuff from the boats, boom. That's it. Then, as visually stunning as the desert is, you just walk forward for 10 minutes and then after a few flashes around you're now at chapter 19. Then the game ends oddly similar to UC2 in a lot of respects, and it just left me underwhelmed.

To be more specific, the pacing is basically ALL combat with some mixed traversal after a certain point, and the game for me completely lost what made the combat in UC2 fun. Fixing the aiming will help, but the actual encounters are just frustrating in so many ways. The new melee system is at odds with the "WHAT IS COVER? LOL" enemies that run right at you. It accomplishes the same thing UC2 did but takes three times as long, and never on its own accord is even remotely difficult, it just adds more visual flair at the impact of gameplay. Aside from 4-5 pure fist fight encounters throughout the game, it's only even really used on the big guys which are literally the EXACT SAME FIGHT, and it must happen atleast 8-10 times. I don't see them and go "yay!", I think "...another one of these?".

There seems to be more ways to tackle each fight, but in the end that doesn't mean much to me. If anything it meant I would stumble around until I died a few times, eventually I run to an area and realize there's an RPG just sitting on the ground which then makes the fight a breeze. That isn't interesting to me, any third person shooter can do stuff like that. I want tiers of elevation in more fights, play to Uncharted's strengths!

Three especially bad segments are in Chapter 14, 20, and 21.
The ballroom in the cruise ship...oh my god. Two snipers, a guy with a hammer, two armored shotgun guys, and other generic guys in a fairly small area. Really? It's easy if you get the hammer and take out the shotgun guys while running at the top so the snipers can't see you, but any other way I tried to tackle this fight was just frustrating as hell. Getting stunned by the hammer meant instant death.

Chapter 20 has a sandstorm, which could provide a cool stealth segment. Oh wait, the enemies have perfect fucking clarity, and the moment they turn hostile I immediately get two grenades thrown directly at my feet, and sniper sights aiming right at me, even though when I pick up a sniper you seriously can't even see these guys, you just have to shoot where the laser sight was. In that case, how to do they see ME, who is giving off no signal? While this is happening, a bunch of machine guns are perfectly aimed at you and the cover is spread out just enough to make it insanely annoying as you wait to regen health while getting pounded by grenades and a few enemies make their way behind you.

Then chapter 21 has these great fire guys that don't seem to care about bullets shooting them. One of these fights is against ~4 fire guys, while there was water on both sides of me. Well these guys teleport, sometimes behind your cover, meaning you have to GTFO, but they shoot you immediately, and I would basically instantly die if this happened because I can't kill them quickly enough without a hammer/rpg, and the other enemies on the other side of the cover shoot me once I try to move. Talk about great. They also have an instant kill move that would hit me off screen a lot, like they would charge up fire or something and hurl it like a grenade that explodes on impact. Fun.

I just have no idea what on earth happened to the combat in this game. Spawns are all over the place, you can instantly die on a whim and redo the entire encounter, stuff is just out of whack. People may find some way to enjoy that stuff, but to me it was just insanely frustrating. My jaw would drop at some of these deaths, and considering the game is just non stop combat near the end it just got insanely old.

Oh yeah, and about the endgame stuff...
the horse segment didn't really do much for me, that convoy stuff just felt like UC2 retread to me. Then the whole city collapsing, climbing the rising gears(ice cavern), etc. The boss fight, if you want to call it that, is better then Lazarevic's shitty one, so that's something.

This post is pretty unfocused and messy, but I'm really just insanely disappointed with this overall. I didn't even go into it expecting much, I didn't think it had a snowball's chance in hell to match UC2, but it not only didn't come close, it completely messed up something I never even was worried about. I'll dabble in MP and hopefully find enjoyment in the co-op stuff, I'll give the game another shot with the aiming patch, so I guess I'll see what a second play entails.

Oh yeah, and even though I already knew about no unlock modifiers, it still bears repeating on how disappointing that is. On top of that, there was quite a few oddities I noticed near the end of the game that didn't have the attention to detail ND usually has.
I picked up the pak80 or whatever in the desert town, and drake made no sound whatsoever. Footsteps crunching on the sand, completely silent. How did they miss that? In chapter 22(maybe 21), I saw a stream of water as I was going down a staircase. I have a knack for always rolling in water and soaking drake, so I did. Then I see...I just rolled in sand? WHAT? I waited and tried it a few more times, and every time I rolled in this water drake got covered in sand. Oh, and opening the door to the city near the end, I climbed the ladder and dropped off the right side for the treasure, then dropped down and reclimbed the ladder. As I did this, Sully apparently climbed the ladder then started climbing down, blocking me. He kept going down and ended up launching drake through the floor and I had to restart.

I also had a weird thing with my guns on the last two chapters, where I would reload, the animation would finish, but the gun didn't reload. This happened atleast 5 times here, and wasn't something that happened to me in other spots in the game.

The forced cinematic stuff also got in the way a couple of times. One moment that stands out to me was at the end of the airport, before the gate where Drake tells Elena to leave. You need to jump from the roof onto a ladder, which has a cool camera view of the plane as you climb down. When I first came here, I saw boxes below me, held onto the ledge, and dropped below. Instant death, how dare I not take the ladder. I also had a moment where I was fighting in the Chateau, dropped down onto stairs from not a very high distance and just died, despite taking much bigger falls perfectly fine.

Which this isn't a glitch, I also feel I should point out how stupid the Sully rescue in chapter 20 is. When he actually jumps onto the main convoy and is getting strangled by the big guy, I ended up getting onto a raised piece of ground(don't know if that happens to everyone or not), but from this spot I COULDN'T jump to the convoy, so I did the obvious thing, took out my gun to shoot the guy. Then I see a black reticule specifically not allowing me to fire my gun...why? Why can I not shoot the guy strangling sully right next to me? Because then I would miss the cinematic brute fight!

Oh, and I also though it was dumb the way Chloe and Cutter vanished out of the story, and how Salim & co. mysteriously vanish in the sandstorm but show up at the end of the city anyway. I'm sure someone will call me bad at the game for this post, but I played UC2 on crushing just fine, and can see the significant ways the combat here changed(for the worse/blatantly cheap). A reply insulting me is as predictable as me fist fighting another copy and pasted brute in UC3.

I still have a few things to mention but I really need to just end this post already. Drake is always insanely unlucky in these games, and I really felt like I was channeling his horrible luck with some of the insane bullshit deaths I witnessed in some of these fight sequences.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Only, I"d also factor in that it got pretty dull. Definitely my least favourite of the three. (Not saying it's the worst, as it's probably a better game than 1, but I enjoyed that more then than I enjoyed this one now.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
chrisisawesome said:
What the hell. This is the second time i have to restart chapter 6. I'm at the area where they finally introduce grenades about 1.5 hours in and it says : to aim-throw a grenade start by holding L1. Then I hit L1 and it goes to : now tap L2. But nothing happens. the game just freezes.
Its annoying because it autosaves right there and i cant do anything but restart the chapter. I already did that but it keeps freezing.

The same happened to me. Pressing R2 (I switched the buttons before I even started playing) did nothing. Restarted from the last checkpoint, but of course it was at that exact location. Again, it didn't work. Then suddenly, after having pressed different buttons for a while, it just worked. Weird.

Duxxy3

Just finished the single player. Started it last night and finished a few minutes ago. Seems a bit shorter than 2.

Overall i would say that it was not as good as 2 but probably better than 1, probably. The combat was clunky and the stealth elements felt worse than last time. I felt the game had little variety compared to the first 2. And it seemed like this in this entry i was in the least amount of control of what was going on.

The graphics and voice acting were absolute top notch as always.

hahaha, the controller just fell asleep during the credits.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mr. Sam said:
I hate to be 'that guy' but have Naughty Dog said when fixed aiming and motion blur will be patched in?

Soon? No date yet. I would imagine we'll hear something next week.

bergcrantz

Neo Member
I just picked up a ps3 with uc3 yesterday, first time I play any of the uc-games and though I must say I DO enjoy the game, Its pretty overhyped imo.
If it had recieved an 8.0-8.5 rating I would not have been expecting more.
There's pretty big issues with almost every aspect of the game, the controls being the most annoying for me, I think they should be better in a so called AAA-title.

Man

Finished this. Definitely worth the purchase. Not the years best and far from the worst. Not the best Naughty Dog title but nonetheless a solid one.

Pros:
+ Extremely impressive tech in parts
+ Highpoint:
Boat scrapyard. Just lovely diving and swimming freedom with complex combat platforms to climb onto.
The gameplay really shined here.
The Pirate Crusie ship was also great fun and technically impressive.
Drakes Inception!
+ Best OST in the series. Theme was more prevalent in previous entries but the general music had more drive here.
+ Atmospheric moments were top notch.
Young drake. Rubi Ka wandering. Hallucinations etc.
+ Obviously a very advanced animation system that can dynamically tackle any sort of environment orientation/behavior.

Cons:
- Animation system produces somewhat jarring results relatively often (small tilt on stick creates slow-mo full run, leap animation when you 'fall' from a feet high rock etc ). This road to perfection will be a long and painful one in game development.
- Story really didn't take use of
Lawrence of Arabia as much as I would have hoped. Also, despite good narrative related to Nate endangering friends just for the sake of the adventure... not too much taken to heart here. A relative standard happy ending.
- A.I was very wonky at times.

I am totally ready for a new generation now as I'm no longer as contempt with current image quality (and UC3 is the best around or close).

RuGalz

I was going to wait for aim patch but I said screwed it I'll play crushing after the patch. Overall I have mixed feeling about the third one. It's quite a piece of work but I think it could use a bit more polishing.

It feels like they are trying a bit too hard and forgot some of the basic elements - pacing is of course one of them. It's a bit of side effect from them trying to make it more cinematic experience I guess.

While I really appreciate the fact that there are multiple optimal ways to handle an encounter now, the game almost feel too easy even on hard since the AI is very aggressively rushing at you so you can just take them out almost one by one by hand majority of the time. It doesn't feel bad per say. It just seems like something is missing.

Nate's animation... Ugh please cut some out. The animations themselves are great but are often applied incorrectly due to many, understandable limitations for collision detection. My mom who has never seen Uncharted in her life was watching me play for 30 minutes. Her first comment was, why does Nate seem like he's falling over all the time?

A lot of scenes just look beautiful and insane; another great achievement by ND. Characterization is great although I wish I could spend more time with some characters. Can't wait for the patch before running through the game again.

RDreamer

Duxxy3 said:
I felt the game had little variety compared to the first 2. And it seemed like this in this entry i was in the least amount of control of what was going on.

How so? I felt like this game had by far the most variety of any of the three. The first one really didn't have a lot of variety. It had a few short scenes, but mostly gun fights and a bit of traversal climbing, but not much. The 2nd was a lot more balanced with more added in puzzles, and a lot more elaborate traversals mixed in with the gunfights. And it also had more story. With three I feel they took it a step further, since they had the usual gun fights, added fist fights, the ability to stealth a lot more than either of the two games, puzzles that were actually puzzles, chases, story sequences.

I mean in Uncharted 2 it was kind of: Scene > Traversal > gunfight > traversal > scene > traversal > gunfight > puzzle > repeat

In here it was like Fistfight > scene > chase > gunfight > traversal > gunfight with optional stealth > traversal > puzzle

Snipes424

Mr. Sam said:
I hate to be 'that guy' but have Naughty Dog said when fixed aiming and motion blur will be patched in?

It's most likely completed, just has to go through Q&A, once that is complete they will release it.

I've also been reading some of the negative comments in this thread and I agree with some of them. The linear arguments are extremely stupid though. You know exactly what you are getting into with an Uncharted game. If you do not like linear games, Uncharted is not for you. Luckily for you, Skyrim comes out in 5 days, that is the game you should be playing.

But overall, it's still my GOTY so far, unless Skyrim or skyward sword blow me away even more.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game and I'm changing my 8.5 to a 7.5. I really can't tolerate the shooting parts of this game. Way more frustrating than fun with the super cheap AI. Sorry but every shoot out scene feels exactly the same with the snipers, shot gun guys and rpg dudes all with perfect aim. Not to mention, the last sequence
where you are running out of the sinking city felt just like the end of UC2.
. 7.5/10.

(._.)

Banned
My only problem with the series is the firefights. I feel like the game is too fast paced for them. You will be doing some awesome platforming followed by a big room of enemies where you just sit behind cover for 10 minutes. Some of the more run and gun firefights that you have to do while platforming are great. The ones where it is just you versus 15 men with floaty console controls and a blind fire that is completely useless are the ones that bring me out of the experience.

Good thing for Uncharted 3 there aren't as many of these fights I have noticed. 2 had much more of them and made parts of it a snore fest. I would much rather play Gears of War for cover fights over Uncharted. The controls just feel more precise which is a major thing for me when it comes to shooting at things in video games. I think I just don't like controllers in general when it comes to aiming.

Uncharted 1 was just boring to me. two was pretty good but I felt like is wasn't paced as well as other sony action games like say God of War. Three so far has been the best one for me just because I really like how it has been paced. I feel like they favored the platforming over the firefights the most in this installment.

patsu

Yap, more variety in U3.

Cutscenes are also longer and sometimes interactive, which give some the impression that gameplay is extremely funneled.

RDreamer said:
In here it was like Fistfight > scene > chase > gunfight > traversal > gunfight with optional stealth > traversal > puzzle

Until Chapter 12 where it was just gunfight -> gunfight -> traver....uh gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight within set piece -> transitional cutscene -> stealt...oh wait no sorry, gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight -> gunfight -> gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight ....etc. etc.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Just finished the game and I'm changing my 8.5 to a 7.5. I really can't tolerate the shooting parts of this game. Way more frustrating than fun with the super cheap AI. Sorry but every shoot out scene feels exactly the same with the snipers, shot gun guys and rpg dudes all with perfect aim. Not to mention, the last sequence
where you are running out of the sinking city felt just like the end of UC2.
. 7.5/10.

It sounds like you should be giving it a 5/10. Use the whole scale!

Snipes424

Net_Wrecker said:
Until Chapter 12 where it was just gunfight -> gunfight -> traver....uh gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight withing set piece -> transitional cutscene -> stealt...oh wait no sorry, gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight -> gunfight -> gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight ....etc. etc.

What exactly do you want? Because you just described every single shooter ever made.

(._.)

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Until Chapter 12 where it was just gunfight -> gunfight -> traver....uh gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight withing set piece -> transitional cutscene -> stealt...oh wait no sorry, gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight -> gunfight -> gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight ....etc. etc.
whoa, I am just at 12 right now. Are you telling me it starts getting shooter heavy? Just when I thought I was playing a near perfect single player game :[

Putting off playing this until the patch comes. Its sitting there on my shelf, staring at me. I want it. It knows I want it. But the first time has to be perfect. Roses on the desk. Vanilla candles on the windowsill. The Brontës don't have shit in comparison to my plans.

Snipes424 said:
What exactly do you want? Because you just described every single shooter ever made.

I just want some balance. The game skewed HEAVILY toward kill room wave based combat after Chapter 12. U2 handled it way better in that they varied the combat situations up a hell of a lot more.

Net_Wrecker said:
Until Chapter 12 where it was just gunfight -> gunfight -> traver....uh gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight within set piece -> transitional cutscene -> stealt...oh wait no sorry, gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight -> gunfight -> gunfight -> set piece -> gunfight ....etc. etc.

Up to chapter 12 there are probably more non-gunfight gameplay than gunfight.

Compare it with U2. In chapter 12 you already killed the army of a medium-size eastern europe country.

The Lamp

I don't want more Uncharted (besides Golden Abyss) until Naughty Dog has time to develop a new engine for PS4 and can let either a new Uncharted or their next IP sit in the cooker for a while.

Net_Wrecker said:
I just want some balance. The game skewed HEAVILY toward kill room wave based combat after Chapter 12. U2 handled it way better in that they varied the combat situations up a hell of a lot more.
Could you be a little more specific, because to me both games got very combat heavy at the end, with a puzzle or two mixed in.

Was this shared? lol

i-9GDbnt2-XL.jpg

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
revolverjgw said:
It sounds like you should be giving it a 5/10. Use the whole scale!

Well, there's a lot in this game I do like though. It's just the combat that really turns me off. Everything else was superb.

Net_Wrecker said:

I just finished a run-through of U2 on Hard before starting U3 and this just isn't true. While I haven't gotten far enough in U3 to judge, after you hit the monastery in U2 the pacing goes out the window. You have to kill the equivalent of a small country's military in U2's endgame.

DangerousDave said:
Up to chapter 12 there are probably more non-gunfight gameplay than gunfight.

Compare it with U2. In chapter 12 you already killed the army of a medium-size eastern europe country.

But look at the combat situations.
Jungle -> Nepal -> Lots of traversal + gunfight -> Helo fight -> Temple -> Trainyard -> Train -> Tibetan village -> Ice caves -> village rescue + tank fight, etc. etc.
Way better at changing up the scenarios so that they don't all feel like kill rooms.

upJTboogie said:
Could you be a little more specific, because to me both games got very combat heavy at the end, with a puzzle or two mixed in.

Towards the end sure, but before The Monastery in U2, the TYPE of enemy encounters were designed much better, and without just using a bunch of kill room arenas as a crutch.

Red Blaster said:
I just finished a run-through of U2 on Hard before starting U3 and this just isn't true. While I haven't gotten far enough in U3 to judge, after you hit the monastery in U2 the pacing goes out the window. You have to kill the equivalent of a small country's military in U2's endgame.

See? Exactly what I meant. BEFORE The Monastery, it was designed way better than the 2nd half of U3. Chapters 4-21 of Uncharted 2 were probably the best run of this entire franchise so far.

RDreamer

Net_Wrecker said:

Even after Chapter 12 it still had a lot of variety in the situations.
I mean there was a lot of traversal through the ship graveyard, the fights get way different, especially the big one with the water where you can swim. There are fights while you're traversing upward. Then there was the part where you shoot at the other ships while boarding the cruise ship. There's the cruise ship part, which had some interesting situationals and parts where you could use a bit of stealth to vary things up. The sinking part was a huge bit of traversal and almost a chase dynamic, too.

So, sure there's a good bit of fighting there, but they vary up the styles enough throughout. They're not all kill rooms at all. Not even close

Just throwing this out there: this has the most hype-creating title screen of all time. It'd be better without all the copyright spiel, but still. DAT THEME.

Massa

I thought that starting with chapter 14 there were not just a lot more combat situations, but they got pretty bad. Like, some of the worst encounters in any shooter I've played, ever.

I think with a little more play testing this game could have been so much more.

I share a lot of the same complaints that most people in this thread have been discussing so I don't really want to rehash all that, but I do want to ask... does anybody else get reminded of the Circle of Blood/Broken Sword games when playing this game? Especially the early chapters? I know they are very different games but man it would be awesome playing a new Broken Sword game set in some of the environments from this game. Imagine playing as George Stobbart exploring a more open version of Naughty Dog's Cartegena. Would truly be Game of the Forever for me.

Anyway, Uncharted 3 - 8/10 :p

IzzyF3

Did anybody go to the AMC event and thought they saw waaaaayyy too much of the game? The set pieces are a selling point of the single player and they showed almost all of it. And then having played the Subway multiplayer for a few weeks, it was hard to feel like I was playing a completely fresh game even though I got it a few days earlier than most people.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
IzzyF3 said:
Did anybody go to the AMC event and thought they saw waaaaayyy too much of the game? The set pieces are a selling point of the single player and they showed almost all of it. And then having played the Subway multiplayer for a few weeks, it was hard to feel like I was playing a completely fresh game even though I got it a few days earlier than most people.
lol another member said he expected this so during all the gameplay sessions at amc he was just on his phone the whole time

RDreamer said:
Even after Chapter 12 it still had a lot of variety in the situations.
I mean there was a lot of traversal through the ship graveyard, the fights get way different, especially the big one with the water where you can swim. There are fights while you're traversing upward. Then there was the part where you shoot at the other ships while boarding the cruise ship. There's the cruise ship part, which had some interesting situationals and parts where you could use a bit of stealth to vary things up. The sinking part was a huge bit of traversal and almost a chase dynamic, too.

So, sure there's a good bit of fighting there, but they vary up the styles enough throughout. They're not all kill rooms at all. Not even close

Ok, admittedly, the
ship climbing section
had a fair bit of traversal as did the
escape from the sinking ship
, but I hated the kill rooms surrounding those, including the
ship graveyard shootout and the cruise ship ballroom massacre.
After that though, it was a nonstop dash to the finish with the exception of
1 chapter (alone in the desert) which amusingly enough preceded a marathon of wave based shootouts, and another kill arena

Anyway, multiplayer makes the sting a little easier to deal with. It's really fun, brah.

Net_Wrecker said:
But look at the combat situations.
Jungle -> Nepal -> Lots of traversal + gunfight -> Helo fight -> Temple -> Trainyard -> Train -> Tibetan village -> Ice caves -> village rescue + tank fight, etc. etc.
Way better at changing up the scenarios so that they don't all feel like kill rooms.

In U2, third chapter (jungle) was ALL combat. And most of nepal town was combat (streets, hotel, helicopter) and more combat, then the temple and back to nepal with combat and more combat. Trainyard was pure combat, and also train.

In U3
there is no combat up to chapter 5, there are a lot of zones in france (start, catacombs) without combat, syria had the inner temple without combat, and then Yemen in nearly all puzzle, chasing, etc, with very few combats.

There are much more combats and kill rooms in U2. The nepal town is full of them. In U3, up to chapter 12
there are only a few shots in London, a few in france and a little more in Syria. But nothing as gun-intense as nepal town of U2.

Spruchy said:
Glad to see the veil lift from everyone's eyes.
I don't understand posts like these. It's as if people are happy with negative comments, and bothered with positive ones. There's no "veil", and people are not wrong for highly praising U3, just like they're not wrong for criticizing it. I swear sometimes reading GAF would have you believe that gaming is not a fun hobby.

spats

perineumlick said:
I don't understand posts like these. It's as if people are happy with negative comments, and bothered with positive ones. There's no "veil", and people are not wrong for highly praising U3, just like they're not wrong for criticizing it. I swear sometimes reading GAF would have you believe that gaming is not a fun hobby.

Posts like that make me understand SamBishop's recent meltdown rant and subsequent banning.

Thrakier

I agree that U2 so far had imo more combat rooms. In fact I kinda got bored with U2 in the monastery and thought that U1 had better pacing. I remeber that back then a lot of people called U2 out for having worse pacing than U1. Haters gonna hate.

I just played Chapter 12 and 13. And dear got, that is unbelievable (gameplay and graphics wise, even from a story point of view it's awesome). It's such an excellte craftmanship. No other developer comes even close. Uncharted as a game certainly isn't perfect and there are some valid criticisms...but boys, just go out there and enjoy what you got. Because it's excellent, even amazin sometimes, even if it's not perfect.

I just started laughing to myself reading some of the criticisms on animation. I somewhat agree with them, they went a little overboard, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had this happen to them:

I'm on a ledge above a guy or two and proceed to hit square when the prompt comes up, and I didn't expect this, but nate does this INSANE flying elbow drop that is just not plausible. It's happened to me twice already...

The first time was gold I couldn't stop laughing for a bit.

Man

I played this first on Hard and it wasn't at all really. I progressed just as fast as playing other games on easy/normal.

Though I must admit to a couple of section where they were spamming grenades, shotguns with a sniper due or two + a grenade launcher dude from 360 degrees did made me fist pump when I died repeatedly for a short period.

finished this on hard today. not as good as part 2 event or storywise. but i did feel like it was much more difficult. enemies move a lot more and throw grenades constantly :p

i enjoyed the challenge!

rhino4evr

So I encountered MAJOR pop in on Chapter 12. Right when the screen pans away and you realize what you are climbing. It was the only big I've seen so far. Did anyone get that?

I stopped at Chapter 13. So far I think the game is AMAZING. I have no complaints.

Screw the haters.

Also, while I wouldn't say the puzzles are difficult but they are a huge improvement over the first two games.

Top Bottom