• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Beat it, loved it. Felt that it was harder then U2, by a long shot, and I played on normal. Some of those segments got pretty frustrating. But overall I loved it, hands down, absolutely beautiful, and ton of fun to play.

Duxxy3

RDreamer said:
How so? I felt like this game had by far the most variety of any of the three. The first one really didn't have a lot of variety. It had a few short scenes, but mostly gun fights and a bit of traversal climbing, but not much. The 2nd was a lot more balanced with more added in puzzles, and a lot more elaborate traversals mixed in with the gunfights. And it also had more story. With three I feel they took it a step further, since they had the usual gun fights, added fist fights, the ability to stealth a lot more than either of the two games, puzzles that were actually puzzles, chases, story sequences.

I mean in Uncharted 2 it was kind of: Scene > Traversal > gunfight > traversal > scene > traversal > gunfight > puzzle > repeat

In here it was like Fistfight > scene > chase > gunfight > traversal > gunfight with optional stealth > traversal > puzzle

About halfway through the game they remove all the puzzle elements and shift in more for gunfights. With the gunplay being, IMO, the weakest in the series - that really dragged down the game for me.

Btw, this hasn't put me off from the Uncharted series - not in the least. I pre-ordered golden abyss the same day i picked up uncharted 3.

Uncharted 3 is a VERY GOOD game. But it's not my GOTY and it's not the best in the series.

Pranay

People who are saying that uncharted 3 has less variety as compared to uncharted 2 needs to replay uncharted 2 again

Salz01

I wonder if there will be a thread eventually, where people can suggest improvements to the formula. So that Arne and ND can copy and paste it and take it to a development planning session for UC4. I think it would be best if people don't pick it apart, and if they do, suggest constructive feedback on how to make it better.

Pranay

Salz01 said:
I wonder if there will be a thread eventually, where people can suggest improvements to the formula. So that Arne and ND can copy and paste it and take it to a development planning session for UC4. I think it would be best if people don't pick it apart, and if they do, suggest constructive feedback on how to make it better.

I was thinking of making a thread but i guess its too early

Thrakier

Pranay_ said:
People who are saying that uncharted 3 has less variety as compared to uncharted 2 needs to replay uncharted 2 again

Yep, very true. One thing though is that maybe the sequences in Chapter 2 and 10 may hurt the replayability a bit. But you also got awesome MP and Coop stuff so...screw it. ;D

My monitor is shaking
because of that fucking boat sequence.
Some of that stuff is just FANTASIC. It's not perfect, but PLEASE, just name me one game that comes even close to that shit
on the boat
(except U2 maybe). ;)

Duxxy3

Is there going to be an uncharted 4? I had assumed that naughty dog would be moving to the PS4 and, with it, a new series.

Pranay

Duxxy3 said:
Is there going to be an uncharted 4? I had assumed that naughty dog would be moving to the PS4 and, with it, a new series.

Yeah i think so.

Series has lot of potential.

Gameplay certainly does.

Massa

TSAGoodness said:
Beat it, loved it. Felt that it was harder then U2, by a long shot, and I played on normal. Some of those segments got pretty frustrating. But overall I loved it, hands down, absolutely beautiful, and ton of fun to play.

Uncharted 2 also had quite a few segments where you died over and over again for the sake of the scripted "cinematic" gameplay. The tank level comes to mind.

Pranay

Ill agree with those whoever posted the uc3 was designed around the location/setpieces rather then the story.

Also uc2 had continuity from one chapter to another. while in uc3 we were jumping from one location to another many times

Sporran

just finished my normal playthru.

Absolutely EPIC no other word, lots of bits i didnt expect and surprised me too.

Some of the scenes are just jaw dropping and you would be forgiven for thinking this is a game. Loved the music.

Thought the start of the story was well done and loved the bit at the end, made my chuckle. BUt had to be there :D

Overall in awe at the mo, will start my crushing run tomororw!!

Flayer

So I unlocked Lazerics Kal-7 and Flynns M9 in the same game (and hit level 31 to boot, talk about amazing luck and convenient timing!) and suddenly I'm consistently winning those 1v1 multiplayer skirmishes. Those guns make such a huge difference, I never would have thought.

Sporran said:
just finished my normal playthru.

Absolutely EPIC no other word, lots of bits i didnt expect and surprised me too.

Some of the scenes are just jaw dropping and you would be forgiven for thinking this is a game. Loved the music.

Thought the start of the story was well done and loved the bit at the end, made my chuckle. BUt had to be there :D

Overall in awe at the mo, will start my crushing run tomororw!!
Seriously there are about a dozen moments in this game that are way more badass than 90% of summer blockbuster movies

Replicant

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Alright, I've come to the conclusion that I HATE the combat in this game. The shooting mechanics, the cover mechanics and the terrible controls combine for a very frustrating experience when it comes to the many shootouts in this game. I hate getting stuck on walls, I hate enemies that ALWAYS know exactly where I'm located AT ALL TIMES. I hate the crappy aiming. I hate how the game locks me down with snipers so I have to stay in cover only to have two body armor guys appear behind me. I hate getting stuck in stupid canned animations while the other bad guys continue to open fire on me. FUCK.

I really don't understand why ND changed their almost flaw-free combat system in UC2. I remember being able to run and slide into cover ASAP then jump/roll into another cover. It's a pain to do that in here. Run feels slow now because of the scenario-based animation. Sometimes I can't even run at all. Nate takes cover awkwardly and it made me scratching my head because I remember whilst playing Mass Effect 2 that I was thinking "I wish this game has a cover like Uncharted 2". And yes, it's stupid the enemies know where you are even though you have quietly run away from them.

Having said that, I felt the combat, especially in 12-15 was actually fun (at least on Normal). This is assuming you go and hunt the bad guys and do combination of run+gun and melee plus occasional sniping from cover. The system have changed and these sections at the very least were designed well so that the new system actually works. And why do they work? Because they are open (or at least large enough) environment where you can run around and hide. But then 16 came and all hell break lose.

The Airport (and to an extent machine gun fight on the boat) is a badly designed situation mostly because it's a small enclosed space. With this new system (which heavily prevents you from hiding behind cover for too long), fighting in an enclosed environment is an exercise in frustration. Especially with the amount of armored enemies they throw at you. The only way you can get it over and done with is if you grab the RPG/Hammer/rocket launcher and go to town with it. But that's cheap on the game's part and on your part.

I'm now up to 19 and if judging from previous Uncharted, the gunplay is just going to get even more insane. I do expect it but I really am tired of fighting 3x shotgun guys, while having to evade 4 laser-aimed snipers, and getting a bunch of thugs going after your ass while throwing grenades in your directions. Grenades, which you supposedly can throw back but the mechanism is so broken that sometimes even when you press the button, nothing happens and you may as well just run like you used to back in UC1 and UC2.

jediyoshi

Damn medals are hard to come by. Must. get. ears.

V52Ly.jpg

krioto

Salz01 said:

Yeah, a GAF-designed Uncharted game really would be terrific...... Oh hang on, no it would suck.

vazel

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Damn medals are hard to come by. Must. get. ears.

V52Ly.jpg
I don't have the game yet but wow what have they done to Elena. That looks like a generic NPC model. Elena looked so much better in past games.

Sullichin

Replicant said:
I'm now up to 19 and if judging from previous Uncharted, the gunplay is just going to get even more insane. I do expect it but I really am tired of fighting 3x shotgun guys, while having to evade 4 laser-aimed snipers, and getting a bunch of thugs going after your ass while throwing grenades in your directions. Grenades, which you supposedly can throw back but the mechanism is so broken that sometimes even when you press the button, nothing happens and you may as well just run like you used to back in UC1 and UC2.

This really sounds like every Uncharted game to me. I don't have a problem with this type of design. My main strategy when I was getting owned was to determine which enemies needed to be taken out first. Usually a sniper or a grenade/RPG dude. I didn't find the grenade throwback to be broken, but I did throw it back right at my feet a couple of times.

Feature

Banned
What's up with everyone suddenly telling drake he's 'going to far'... every game they cheat death 100 times and suddenly it gets to much? jesus, it's annoying. (I'm talking about SP here)

I love the franchise but what kills me is
are the creatures ND puts into the games, I get why they exist but they are never enjoyable to fight. UC2 wasn't so bad but the zombie like guys in UC1 and these Fire Spirits in UC3 can go to hell.

jax (old)

Banned
RichardAM said:
Upto Chapter Six- number one concern so far:

Why are all the enemies bald?

Yes there was that ... but I was more perturbed by the no. of men in suits. I mean, not even a single black guy/woman in the villian squad. I seriously thought it was a matrix game the first couple of acts. It becomes less of an issue/apparent later in the game with the desert garb but man, those men in suits....

its funny that the MP game has that much customaisation but then you have that ingame. i did note that btw tries; the same guy would have different outfits on (on the ship; and probably all through the game) - and that was kind of neat that they varied it up.

Square Triangle said:
are the creatures ND puts into the games, I get why they exist but they are never enjoyable to fight. UC2 wasn't so bad but the zombie like guys in UC1 and these Fire Spirits in UC3 can go to hell.

you mad? They were awesome.

Replicant

Sullichin said:
This really sounds like every Uncharted game to me. I don't have a problem with this type of design. My main strategy when I was getting owned was to determine which enemies needed to be taken out first. Usually a sniper or a grenade/RPG dude. I didn't find the grenade throwback to be broken, but I did throw it back right at my feet a couple of times.

Yes it is. Except that now that the cover mechanic is broken and you're no longer encourage to hide behind the cover, fighting inside a close environment is an exercise in frustration. And spare me the tactics. I wouldn't have lasted this far and platinum'd UC1 and UC2 if I didn't know how to deal with the goons. But that doesn't man the game is not frustrating especially with its wave implementation.

jax (old)

Banned
Replicant said:
Yes it is. Except that now that the cover mechanic is broken and you're no longer encourage to hide behind the cover, fighting inside a close environment is an exercise in frustration. And spare me the tactics. I wouldn't have lasted this far and platinum'd UC1 and UC2 if I didn't know how to work it. It doesn't man the game is not frustrating.

Nah, cover mechanics still very much work.

Sullichin

Replicant said:
Yes it is. Except that now that the cover mechanic is broken and you're no longer encourage to hide behind the cover, fighting inside a close environment is an exercise in frustration. And spare me the tactics. I wouldn't have lasted this far and platinum'd UC1 and UC2 if I didn't know how to deal with the goons. But that doesn't man the game is not frustrating especially with its wave implementation.

Uh ok, I just meant that the gameplay was a lot less frustrating to me and more manageable if you take out the right guys first. sheesh. I also don't think the cover system is broken, but you're definitely encouraged to move around more.

Cheska

Square Triangle said:

To this day I have a hard time facing the enemies from UC1. They creep the hell out of me, and I freeze up whenever I encounter them.

Well, I just beat the ballroom in the ship on Crushing and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, at least IMO. I spent probably 10-15 attempts as suicide runs just to get a feel for how much can be stealthed. On an optimal run, you can stealth the first guy on the table, immediately run down and stealth the guy on the right, then if your timing is just right you can stealth the guy on the piano (although immediately after you register the stealth kill the guy on the left will notice). However, stealthing the guy on the piano gets you a very handy Hammer weapon with either 6 or 8 shots to use.

Incidentally, on my winning run, I didn't actually get the hammer from the piano guy.

I think you can break it down by checkpoints though, since there is at least one (possibly 2) during the fight. The first checkpoint begins with the first group of snipers + hammer guy comes out from the balcony, and the second (if there is one) begins when you've cleared everything on the ground + the 3 guys on the balcony, at which point another sniper guy comes out, some more guys on the floor, and finally some dudes from the door.

To get to the first checkpoint, stealth first guy -> guy to the right of piano -> piano. Then, run-and-gun the guy on the left who normally hangs out by the boxes on the ledge. This will get almost all the AI guys to go up the staircase to the left of the piano. Now, run back up the stairs FAST and take cover behind the first guy you stealthed, and pick up his Tau Sniper. You should be able to pick off at least 3-4 guys all coming up the left side, and if you're lucky, NOBODY will com e up the right side so you don't have to worry about any surprise attacks.

Once the snipers come out, go all the way to the top. You should have to deal with about 3 normal dudes at this point and 1 armored shotgun guy. I had the Pistole so I took the armored guy out with that and then just dealt with the other guys normally. Pretty soon the only thing left should be the 3 guys on the balcony. Head all the way to the top where you first entered this area, and if you go to the boxes on the left (facing away from the entrance) you should be able to barely snipe one of the balcony guys. I even used a machine gun and it was easy. Now there's the hammer guy and one more sniper. The sniper's AI should think you're directly below him, but just in case run out to the exit briefly so he targets you, then run back up along the wall. Now slowly walk backwards down the first set of stairs after the very first enemy you killed in this room, and you should be able to target him here while he is pointing his laser at nothing. For the hammer guy, continue walking backwards down the stairs until he is visible and kill him.

Now, make sure you are saving at least 1-2 grenades at this point. You should get another sniper and a few more trash enemies. Again, stay at the top and deal with the guys normally, I think there's only about 3. If you have 2 grenades, you can use one on the armored guy, otherwise try to have a Pistole or Tau Sniper somewhere to help with the armored shotgun guy.

As soon as you kill the sniper, you can see the dudes starting to open the door below. Wait about 10 seconds and lob a grenade BEFORE the door opens. If you time it right, you should kill all of them at once.

Replicant

Jax said:
Nah, cover mechanics still very much work.

Nope. It's definitely more awkward and not as fluid as the 2nd one. The way Nate flailing around like wet noodles while running doesn't help either. In UC2, he's efficient, slide in, slide out.

Sullichin said:
Uh ok, I just meant that the gameplay was a lot less frustrating to me and more manageable if you take out the right guys first. sheesh. I also don't think the cover system is broken, but you're definitely encouraged to move around more.

No, that means, the likelihood of taking out the entire army is smaller unless you do it one way and one way only. That's what many people here have complained. It seems there's only one good way to dispatch the goons: find the biggest weapon there is. There are other ways but you'd take the long high road for it. And how do you move around when the environment is as closed and small as that boat deck in Chapter 15? Let's face it, in that section, the only thing to do was to wait until hammer guy comes out, shoot him, get his gun, then shoot the shotgun guys and the others. Other methods will just lead to frustration.

Loudninja

Square Triangle said:
Its part of the series its not going anywhere.

Replicant said:
I really don't understand why ND changed their almost flaw-free combat system in UC2.

Probably because tons of people complained about the combat system in the previous Uncharted. U2 was very gears-like. Keep the cover, kill people, advance to the next cover, kill people.

In this they try to promote the melee and movement in the combat.

- Easier to perform stealth kills even when the batte started (instakill enemies when they are in a cover, easy to kill shield guys, being able to do corner-stealth to aware enemies, etc).
- Less reaction time of snipers
- Granade-spawn to force you move
- Armored guys with close combat weapons (instead of long-range ones) to force you move to keep distance.
- Less turrets
- Spawn in any part of the battlefield, specially sides & back

We can debate the aiming system being broken, but the combats are not broken, are designed to be faced with different tactics than in U2.

cameron

Replicant said:

I didn't feel like it was broken. Cover is encouraged as well as moving around between cover, exactly the same way in the previous two games, imo. You're never supposed to bunker down in one spot.

bergcrantz

Neo Member
Pranay_ said:
Ill agree with those whoever posted the uc3 was designed around the location/setpieces rather then the story.

Also uc2 had continuity from one chapter to another. while in uc3 we were jumping from one location to another many times

Exactly, my biggest issue with the story. I would have very much liked a more consistent path through the story with less jumping around.
Many of the setpieces are pretty amazing, and its nice with variety but I think they should have done it differently. And they could still easily gotten the same amount of cool locations. Makes me feel a bit disconnected from the game when there is to much jumping around and stuff going on between levels that you don't get to experience. Especially when its such an immersive game that really draws you in, at times. Then it kind of breaks it for me.

I have mixed feelings. The flaws aside, it has some amazing scenes.
Airplane-part
is INSANE.

Replicant

DangerousDave said:
Probably because tons of people complained about the combat system in the previous Uncharted. U2 was very gears-like. Keep the cover, kill people, advance to the next cover, kill people.

In this they try to promote the melee and movement in the combat.

- Easier to perform stealth kills even when the batte started (instakill enemies when they are in a cover, easy to kill shield guys, being able to do corner-stealth to aware enemies, etc).
- Less reaction time of snipers
- Granade-spawn to force you move
- Armored guys with close combat weapons (instead of long-range ones) to force you move to keep distance.
- Less turrets
- Spawn in any part of the battlefield, specially sides & back

We can debate the aiming system being broken, but the combats are not broken, are designed to be faced with different tactics than in U2.

I don't mind so much of them changing the system IF they are aware of the limitation of the new system. With this new system, where every enemies hunt for you, it's not a good idea to put your character in small, enclosed space. Because if every enemy hunt for you and you can no longer hide then you need a LARGE environment to be able to run around and outwit them.

cameron said:
I didn't feel like it was broken. Cover is encouraged as well as moving around between cover, exactly the same way in the previous two games, imo. You're never supposed to bunker down in one spot.

Did I say I bunkered down in one spot? I'd have been dead around chapter 6 if I did that. Learn to read!

Sean

Banned
Massa said:
I thought that starting with chapter 14 there were not just a lot more combat situations, but they got pretty bad. Like, some of the worst encounters in any shooter I've played, ever.

I think with a little more play testing this game could have been so much more.

Yeah, I feel like there was at least one bullshit encounter on almost every chapter in the second half. Chapter 12's
shipyard
, chapter 14's
ballroom/piano room
, very start of chapter 15, chapter 16's
stealth segment that you can't actually complete stealthily due to those two guards at the end
, first encounter on chapter 19
(starting off with no gun, meaning you had to pretty much run directly into enemy fire)
, chapter 20's
sandstorm where you can't really see shit but red laser sights and the enemies seemingly have perfect vision and are sniping you and nailing you with turret fire
, the
demon guys
in chapter 21 (which became a lot easier after I tried the TAU sniper on them, but still not fun to fight), etc..

UC3's combat scenarios were more about throwing everything and the kitchen sink against the player (multiple snipers, grenade launcher/RPG guys, armored shotgun guys, grenade lobbers, flankers, etc) and trying to overwhelm the player while also keeping them pinned down in a certain location, instead of a well designed combat area.

Kagari said:
Could be next week sometime. Game companies tend to not work on the weekends.
Well, yeah, kind of figured it wasn't coming today. Just wondering if any further comments had been made regarding how soon it might be seen? Such as Arne commenting, etc. I'd be kinda surprised to see this patch in the next week. Where did you get that timeframe?

Top Bottom