• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jett

D-Member
Replicant said:
I don't mind so much of them changing the system IF they are aware of the limitation of the new system. With this new system, where every enemies hunt for you, it's not a good idea to put your character in small, enclosed space. Because if every enemy hunt for you and you can no longer hide then you need a LARGE environment to be able to run around and outwit them.

Did I say I bunkered down in one spot? I'd have been dead around chapter 6 if I did that. Learn to read!

Enemies have a stupid large hitbox and blindfiring has crazy auto-aim, in case you didn't notice.

I loved every goddamn second of this game. The story. The set pieces. The lulls. Everything. EVERYTHING.

Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2
Uncharted

They keep getting better. Maybe i sound like a delusional fanboy right now, and maybe i am. I don't know. All I know is i am completely blown away by what i just played. Incredible.

eso76

chapter 16 now and i can see where the criticisms are coming from; gunfights are not very interesting and for some reason i find gunplay less smooth than before. having said that, the game is an epic ride, the amount of attention to detail is orders of magnitude above everything else. and the amount of stuff naughty dogs packs in one chapter alone, puts many "whole" games to shame.

graphically speaking it is probably the most polished, accomplished, consistent game ever, on any platform.

Is it me or is the floor tile puzzle in
France
COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT? I have absolutely no idea how to complete it, I have been trying for around an hour now. The game even told me the solution in the book but I still can't do it. It's slightly more shit than the equally vague "secret room" puzzle shortly before.

Replicant

jett said:
Enemies have a stupid large hitbox and blindfiring has crazy auto-aim, in case you didn't notice.

What does that got anything to do with? I got the 100 HS thing if you're suggesting I suck at aiming. And blindfiring armored guys? I was talking about the stupidity of putting closed environment where your system doesn't encourage you to hide behind the cover anymore. I'm saying they need to ditch the close environment system if they want to do what they do in UC3. That means that scenario on the boat deck need to go.

gdt

KennyLinder said:
France
COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT? I have absolutely no idea how to complete it, I have been trying for around an hour now. The game even told me the solution in the book but I still can't do it. It's slightly more shit than the equally vague "secret room" puzzle shortly before.

So easy. Just walk on the amount of whatever letter/symbol, in that order.

Or just break and youtube it.

Sean

Banned
KennyLinder said:
France

Make sure you're approaching it from the right side. I was reading the notebook from top to bottom, when you have to start from the bottom of the page/puzzle and work your way to the top (has an arrow pointing the way in the notebook).

cackhyena

KennyLinder said:
France
Easiest puzzle in the game for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BruiserBear said:
Well, yeah, kind of figured it wasn't coming today. Just wondering if any further comments had been made regarding how soon it might be seen? Such as Arne commenting, etc. I'd be kinda surprised to see this patch in the next week. Where did you get that timeframe?

The first UC2 patch came fairly quick.

gdt5016 said:
So easy. Just walk on the amount of whatever letter/symbol, in that order.

Or just break and youtube it.

I really don't get it. Youtube it is. The water puzzle in Onimusha is a walk in the park compared to this.

jett

D-Member
Replicant said:
What does that got anything to do with? I got the 100 HS thing if you're suggesting I suck at aiming. And blindfiring armored guys? I was talking about the stupidity of putting closed environment where your system doesn't encourage you to hide behind the cover anymore. I'm saying they need to ditch the close environment system if they want to do what they do in UC3. That means that scenario on the boat deck need to go.

The part with the constantly moving cover? I thought it was great. You just need to outmaneuver the big guy, after you pop some damage into him a guy with a grenade launcher will drop. You kill him, grab his GL and it's over.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KennyLinder said:
France

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

rhino4evr

I'm up to chapter 13 and haven't been "stuck" on a puzzle yet. Most only take about a minute or two of logic to figure out. I just wasn't expecting so many, a lot more compared to the other games

eso76

KennyLinder said:
France

its quite easy, look at the symbol under your feet then push the tiles in the same order as written on your diary. remember if you see 4 "x" 's in your diary this means you have to walk on 4 tiles with an x on them before moving to the next symbol and so on until you reach the last tile
you dont need to jump.

Teknoman

KennyLinder said:
I really don't get it. Youtube it is. The water puzzle in Onimusha is a walk in the park compared to this.

What? Its so easy though... Look at the symbols on the floor and then look at how they are arranged in your notebook. When you walk on them in the appropriate order, it creates a direct path to the other side. Also listen for pressure plate activation/visual cues showing they pressed down.

Honestly I hope the next game in the series features the same amount of puzzles that actually feel like puzzles.

Jeseus

beaten on crushing ... the hardest was
21 level and the crazy burning 5 guys at the end of the level
and you cant hide because these guys are going after you (most the guy with the shotgun arrrggh)

cameron

Replicant said:
I don't mind so much of them changing the system IF they are aware of the limitation of the new system. With this new system, where every enemies hunt for you, it's not a good idea to put your character in small, enclosed space. Because if every enemy hunt for you and you can no longer hide then you need a LARGE environment to be able to run around and outwit them.

Did I say I bunkered down in one spot? I'd have been dead around chapter 6 if I did that. Learn to read!

Calm down. You're whining about the lack of cover and dude's rushing you. Dude's rush you from every angle when you stay in one place. The piano room, for example, has multiple cover spots if you look around. There's a bunch of cover spots at the start of the piano room, under the balcony, where the check point starts. There's a large area beyond the piano (with two small stair ways that lead down to it) with multiple full size boxes which you can use as cover and kite heavy dudes.

Finished it and i'm a little bit disappointed in it. Something felt off about UC3. Not only the aiming, but... i don`t know. For me its definitely the worst in the franchise and i hope ND is giving Uncharted 4 (hopefully on PS4) some more time and make it more like a videoGAME instead of a VIDEOgame.

Replicant

cameron said:
Calm down. You're whining about the lack of cover and dude's rushing you. Dude's rush you from every angle when you stay in one place. The piano room, for example, has multiple cover spots if you look around. There's a bunch of cover spots at the start of the piano room, under the balcony, where the check point starts. There's a large area beyond the piano (with two small stair ways that lead down to it) with multiple full size boxes which you can use as cover and kite heavy dudes.

Reading comprehension is failing on your part! I am not whining about the lack of cover. I'm talking about having to fight armored guys in closed environment. And that piano room was a breeze for me. I was talking about the boat deck with the machine gun looney and the Airport section.

gdt

Jeseus said:
and you cant hide because these faggots are going after you (most the guy with the shotgun arrrggh)

Quoting before the edit.

Teknoman

clutch.as.it.gets. said:
Finished it and i'm a little bit disappointed in it. Something felt off about UC3. Not only the aiming, but... i don`t know. For me its definitely the worst in the franchise and i hope ND is giving Uncharted 4 (hopefully on PS4) some more time and make it more like a videoGAME instead of a VIDEOgame.

i7lFekpbs00Ks.gif

rhino4evr

Can understand when people say they thought the second game was better, but the first game too? I honestly think you are letting nostalgia and over hyped expectations cloud your judgement.

rhino4evr said:
Can understand when people say they thought the second game was better, but the first game too? I honestly think you are letting nostalgia and over hyped expectations cloud your judgement.
Agreed.

did something change between the trailer footage and the final game because really don't like Elena's new face. Its the eyes. they look so different from her U2 and U1 eyes. Maybe it was just the lighting when you first meet her?

Also YAY!! I had a hard freeze right after that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rhino4evr said:

The first game, if I remember correctly, definitely had some frustrating combat sections, even early on.

Ricky_R

Is it just me or the subtitles are a bit out of sync just before chapter 8 begins?

I haven't played any further after that cut-scene when they reached
Syria
and there's no more out of sync before that part.

Just wondering if anybody noticed it and if there's more of that through out the game.

Massa

Ricky_R said:
Is it just me or the subtitles are a bit out of sync just before chapter 8 begins?

I haven't played any further after that cut-scene when they reached
Syria
and there's no more out of sync before that part.

Just wondering if anybody noticed it and if there's more of that through out the game.

I noticed that occasionally, I'm assuming you can just restart the game to fix it.

famousmortimer said:
I loved every goddamn second of this game. The story. The set pieces. The lulls. Everything. EVERYTHING.

Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2
Uncharted

They keep getting better. Maybe i sound like a delusional fanboy right now, and maybe i am. I don't know. All I know is i am completely blown away by what i just played. Incredible.

this is EXACTLY how i feel.

Aspiring

Rez said:
Man, I need to replay UC1. So many good memories.

I actually liked many of the arenas in that game, for some reason I've never been able to pin down.

For some reason i actually prefered UC1 over 2. Something about the envrionments. And it was probably the only game i have ever finished back to back to back and Platinumed.

Ricky_R

Massa said:
I noticed that occasionally, I'm assuming you can just restart the game to fix it.

hmmm I replayed that part twice and it happened both times. So I guess there's some slight out of sync here and there.

Man

For those who have finished the game: How mindblowing
was the last escape scene. Mountains of sand devouring the city side while you jump from platform to platform that gets crushed to smithereens with a full city beyond.
Best graphics moment this gen.

jediyoshi

Jeseus said:
and you cant hide because these faggots are going after you (most the guy with the shotgun arrrggh)
I see what you did there.

Grisby

Man said:
For those who have finished the game: How mindblowing
was the last escape scene. Mountains of sand devouring the city side while you jump from platform to platform that gets crushed to smithereens with a full city beyond.
Best graphics moment this gen.

The sand was great but the set piece with the
plane amazed me more than anything. The graphics were ridiculous. And the fact the camera stayed on Drake for the whole thing without cutting to a cutscene. Nuts.

cameron

Replicant said:
Reading comprehension is failing on your part! I am not whining about the lack of cover. I'm talking about having to fight armored guys in closed environment. And that piano room was a breeze for me. I was talking about the boat deck with the machine gun looney and the Airport section.

Relax. You kept complaining that the cover system is broken.

I think the armored dudes move fairly slow and that was an obvious design decision. So slow that they are rarely a threat unless you don't move around. If you feel the game doesn't give you enough space to maneuver around the heavier dudes then that's fine. I thought the sections you listed had plenty of room to run around and plenty of cover.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jeseus said:
you said faggots

rhino4evr

Kagari said:
The first game, if I remember correctly, definitely had some frustrating combat sections, even early on.
The first game was mostly gunplay, with bits of platforming. The second game had a nice balance of gunplay and platforming. So far (I'm only on Chap 13. Part 3 has increased the amount of puzzles, and made combat more challenging and platform heavy. It feels like a natural progression to the series.

I can see that some people are annoyed with the "location jumping", but this kinda stuff doesn't bother me much at all. I think they should have done a few more "traveling" scenes, so that you don't cut from France to Syria in a heartbeat.
Other then that..
So far I think the story is easily the best in the series.

The first game had a LOT of annoying gunplay in it, and you werent nearly as capable or mobile. It was basically a Gears clone in that regard. Part 2 added vertical combat. Part 3 pretty much requires you to use vertical and horizontal movement in battle.

I don't see how people could be disappointed with this. The combat finally sheds the "Gears-lite" title its been given by so many.

KingDizzi

Banned
Jeseus said:

tumblr_lhgjim2jYx1qbiuveo1_400.gif

Would be nice if ND released this patch soon, want to get this game out the way before MW3 comes.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Aspiring said:
For some reason i actually prefered UC1 over 2. Something about the envrionments. And it was probably the only game i have ever finished back to back to back and Platinumed.

I felt so too for a long while. Then a couple of weeks ago, I decided to finish my Crushing run of Uncharted 2, to prepare for 3. But that didn't take as long as I had planned, so I loaded up Uncharted 1 and started a new game on Hard (I forgot that I had deleted the old save to everything again for the trophies). When I had finished that, and I really enjoyed it, but I find that I preferred U2. U1 felt like a good game, while U2 felt like a fantastic game. I love all the games in the series, but I'm inclined to say that right now, the games have only become better for me. I can't say I will feel that way in a year or two, because it may just be "new game in the series syndrom" kicking in, but right now, that's how it feels.

DrewM1788

Am I the only one that favored the first half of the game? Chapters 1-11 are my favorites and the
burning chateau
is probably my favorite moment in the entire game. Don't get me wrong...I love the second half of the game for it's insane set pieces and action. However,
Drake is pretty much alone for the entire last half of the game...it doesn't have that constant banter between partners. I loved having Sully along for the ride in the first half.
I also loved the surprising amount of awesome puzzles at the beginning.

I really don't get the complaints about the
Yemen section either. I spent so much time walking through that market area and just focusing in on all the little shops and taking in the beautiful graphics.

As of right now, this was a 10/10 game for me although I was a little disappointed with the rushed feel of the last couple chapters. That rating may change over the next couple of months, but that's how I feel right now.

Replicant

cameron said:
I think the armored dudes move fairly slow and that was an obvious design decision. So slow that they are rarely a threat unless you don't move around. If you feel the game doesn't give you enough space to maneuver around the heavier dudes then that's fine. I thought the sections you listed had plenty of room to run around and plenty of cover.
Their slow movement is compensated by the fact that they often come in pairs or accompanied by sniper + grenade launcher. And their armor meant that even though Nate goes down in 1 shot from shotgun, it'd take multiple bullets to dislodge their helmet then headshotting. And you are vision impaired if you think the deck is a large area. There's pretty much nowhere to run. Especially since the cargo moves around. All you can do is moving around in circles waiting for the GL guy to come out.

cackhyena

DrewM1788 said:
I really don't get the complaints about the
Yemen section either. I spent so much time walking through that market area and just focusing in on all the little shops and taking in the beautiful graphics.
People are complaining about that section? It's my favorite part. The chase scene is the most exhilarating thing I've done in an Uncharted to date. Loved every second of it.

Charted! Man, I hope Spider-Man or someone is in the next game, because
they sure nailed fighting Ghost Rider
. Fucking great game. Uncharted 2 2 through and through, but I didn't mind. I'm just bummed there wasn't more Cutter. :/

Favourite chapters: definitely the Chateau, like most people, the chase in
Yemen
and
The Caravan
. I know that last one is basically a remake of a chapter from U2, but I thought it was done much better here. Ending is what it is, glad there's no dumb boss fight but I also feel the resolution with regards to the villains was a bit underwhelming.

Gonna jump into MP tomorrow, probably.

Top Bottom