• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Cruzader

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Is it me or is the floor tile puzzle in
France
COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT? I have absolutely no idea how to complete it, I have been trying for around an hour now. The game even told me the solution in the book but I still can't do it. It's slightly more shit than the equally vague "secret room" puzzle shortly before.
I did it by trial and error. Maybe 20 minutes just trying to figure out the "pattern".

What I hate about Uncharted puzzles is that they are meant to be easy and have easy solutions but I tend to over think and analyze them so I get confused and take a while. Same with the cogs one. It's the frisking easiest thing while I was trying to make an order based on the book and didn't know what the crossed off marks meant. Lol. It's so obvious now but I was thinking something else.

Man said:
For those who have finished the game: How mindblowing
was the last escape scene. Mountains of sand devouring the city side while you jump from platform to platform that gets crushed to smithereens with a full city beyond.
Best graphics moment this gen.

Yeah that was insane, also I died a lot of times because of poorly timed jumps. More of that ND!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The first game is nothing but annoying combat. First, the controls. Which is a problem here. But the arena design. Omg. the way enemies just pour in from all sides. You can never tell what is going on. Clusterfuck.

Massa

Y2Kev said:
The first game is nothing but annoying combat. First, the controls. Which is a problem here. But the arena design. Omg. the way enemies just pour in from all sides. You can never tell what is going on. Clusterfuck.

I think that's way better than three sniper rifles and 2 RPG's pouring from one side while a couple of shotgun bullet sponges approach you from each side.

Finished on the weekend, a little disappointed. Aiming and the combat really broke the continuity for me. Amazing set-pieces, awesome scenery and I loved the story direction too, but even on Normal difficulty I spent WAY too much time dying cheap deaths and missing shots, which totally breaks the immersion.

Nonetheless, a superb game. Environments and overall quality this time around were highly cinematic and pure eye candy - but overall it's U2 --> U3 --> U1 for me.

I am so close to the end, and yet so close to giving up. I can't stand the combat right now, I just feel like I'm doing cheap death after cheap death.

Square Triangle said:
Omg, the fight
in the ball room of the ship. Fuck dat, took me forever on Hard.

Me too on Hard, got so frustrated with it I turned off and gave it a days rest.
Finished it eventually, felt soooo good when I did.

cameron

Replicant said:
Their slow movement is compensated by the fact that they often come in pairs or accompanied by sniper + grenade launcher. And their armor meant that even though Nate goes down in 1 shot from shotgun, it'd take multiple bullets to dislodge their helmet then headshotting. And you are vision impaired if you think the deck is a large area. There's pretty much nowhere to run. Especially since the cargo moves around. All you can do is moving around in circles waiting for the GL guy to come out.

I never said it was a large area. I said there was plenty of room to move around. There's enough room for the cargo to move around, yet there's no where to run? Okay.

Thrakier

Massa said:
I think that's way better than three sniper rifles and 2 RPG's pouring from one side while a couple of shotgun bullet sponges approach you from each side.

lol, I can't wait for that! Uncharted, COME GET ME. I'LL BEAT YOU AGAIN!

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay spamming melee until you get a second hit seems to be all the rage..
Yup, they fucked up the stopping power so that's all people rely on in UC3 multi. Sorry to say but like another Sony dev GG they got it right the first time.

Replicant

cameron said:
I never said it was a large area. I said there was plenty of room to move around. There's enough room for the cargo to move around, yet there's no where to run? Okay.

Now, who needs to relax?

cackhyena said:
People are complaining about that section? It's my favorite part. The chase scene is the most exhilarating thing I've done in an Uncharted to date. Loved every second of it.

Oh yes. If there's one thing that this game was excellent at, I'd say that chase sequence in Yemen. Pure adrenalin and very very exciting.

BTW, what's the deal with the save file? I saved at the start of that chase, hoping I can replay it again later on. And my hunch was right, the sequence was exciting. But when I reloaded the save file, it seems the auto-save has used it to save my position after the chase. I thought auto-save is separate from normal save. I don't like my normal save being over-written without my knowledge.

Massa said:
I played it on Normal, I would recommend playing it on Easy.

Actually, I'll second this. I stuck with Normal, but there's some areas (especially in the last few chapters) where you begin to get fed up with dying.

That said, if you beat U2 on Normal, this shouldn't give you any trouble. There's just a few areas where it's National Fire Everything You Have At Nathan Drake At Once Day that'll make you consider either turning the difficulty down, or throwing your TV out the window.

Replicant

Normal is doable most of the time but pay attention to chapter 15-16. Be especially ready for the slog in chapter 16. I'd assume the same can be said for chapter 20-22.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
perineumlick said:
Lol, can't believe all the complaints about difficulty. Man up dudes! ; )
It's really confusing to me too. I usually suck at most games compared to GAF and I thought this was one of the easiest games I've played in a while.

Massa

RoboPlato said:
Easy, really? I wish I had played on Hard my first time. This was way easier than the other two.

I don't think the game is hard, it just gets very cheap at points. If you want to experience the story playing it on Easy would make those poorly designed encounters more bearable on the first playthrough.

It's one of those games where I think playing on Normal or Crushing is almost the same, really. It still takes one shotgun, sniper or RPG shot to kill you in any case, but you can easily stay safe from it once you figure out the proper patterns. Not stuff I want to do on my first play of an Uncharted game.

I played it on Hard and didn't have any major problems. For those who are a bit of a lightweight or not so good at games, maybe Normal is better :p

perineumlick said:
The complaints about chapter 16 really surprised me, it was so fun running around the crates killing everyone with a shotgun and a pistol, so what if you died once or twice, it's not the end of the world, the game has a fantastic checkpoint system on top of that.

Teknoman

Green Scar said:
Charted! Man, I hope Spider-Man or someone is in the next game, because
they sure nailed fighting Ghost Rider
. Fucking great game. Uncharted 2 2 through and through, but I didn't mind. I'm just bummed there wasn't more Cutter. :/

Favourite chapters: definitely the Chateau, like most people, the chase in
Yemen
and
The Caravan
. I know that last one is basically a remake of a chapter from U2, but I thought it was done much better here. Ending is what it is, glad there's no dumb boss fight but I also feel the resolution with regards to the villains was a bit underwhelming.

Gonna jump into MP tomorrow, probably.

MP time for me too, but yeah I feel the same. I liked the
Ship Grave
yard too though. Honestly I would have wanted a
boss fight with Djinn Marlow or Talbot
or something. Especially seeing how well the fire animated and
the special attacks
they had. This ended more like a movie than a game, but no real complaints here. Does suck that you only encounter them once.

Cruzader

Banned
Bishman said:
I got the game on release date but just started playing earlier today. What did you guys pick: normal or hard?
Play normal. I played hard but feel I screwed alot on some scenes and it sorta killed what was going on for me. It made me mad which I'm sure it's not supposed to be the emotion going through whatever scene it was lol.

Just play normal and then go for hard/crushing if you want to get the platinum. I'm gonna make sure and play U:GA on normal and U4, for sure.

PS: the 2nd playthiugh is going sooo much better. Puzzles solved within seconds so I don't waste too much time and the melee fights are more rewarding as you see no button prompts. Makes those fights seem like they are playing before your eyes but you are actualy controlling the counter,evades punches etc. The animation stands out more so, atleast to me.

coldfoot

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
Online is fun but... Level 74 already? Jeez

Any CQC tips? Does hipfire at close range do the trick?

That's nothing, I was once in a match with a guy who was 1st prestige, level 16 the other day...Needless to say, I quit the match as soon as it started since ND doesn't let you quit before the match starts.

Flayer

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay spamming melee until you get a second hit seems to be all the rage..
That's a bad strat but it does seem strong at first. Just roll/jump/run away and start firing and you'll kill everyone who tries to melee while they fumble around in an animation lock.

To the people complaining about aiming, what difficulty were you on? Most complaints it seems like are related to auto-aim and stickiness, but in Hard/Crushing those elements are non-existant anyway, so is the aiming problem only present on Normal and below? I don't know since I started on Hard and am now about to beat it on Crushing, but I haven't really noticed anything.

tigerin

coldfoot said:
That's nothing, I was once in a match with a guy who was 1st prestige, level 16 the other day...Needless to say, I quit the match as soon as it started since ND doesn't let you quit before the match starts.

some higher level guys sucks. so don't be afraid. lol

btkadams

cpp_is_king said:
To the people complaining about aiming, what difficulty were you on? Most complaints it seems like are related to auto-aim and stickiness, but in Hard/Crushing those elements are non-existant anyway, so is the aiming problem only present on Normal and below? I don't know since I started on Hard and am now about to beat it on Crushing, but I haven't really noticed anything.
this could very well be the case! i'm playing on normal and the aiming can be annoying.

hamchan

I beat it on normal and noticed aiming issues. 2/3rds of the way through crushing and haven't noticed it. Maybe I just got used to it after 12 hours of playing the game.

Wow. Played with some a-hole on my team using the Kal-hipfire combo...bastard went 24-5

Fix it ND!

MarshMellow96 said:
Online is fun but... Level 74 already? Jeez

Any CQC tips? Does hipfire at close range do the trick?

I'm leveling up so fast through co-op. I'm around Lvl 41 because of it. For CQC, hipfire then melee would do the trick. You got to make sure you hurt them enough before meleeing or else your screwed.

Thrakier

perineumlick said:

This. So far up to chapter 19 where were three areas where I needed more than five tries on hard. Didn't mind at all. Why? Because I had ALWAYS the choice to try another tactic till I found the one fitting. I actually love that, especially the beginning of chatper 12.

This game is amazing. The whole chapter 18 stuff...it looks so...amazing. Almsot fucking real. It's immersing so much. I'll have a hard time to adjusting to "normal" quality again after UC3. The attention to detail is second to none. It oozes charme. Man what a game. I can't even think of a game which comes close regarding the overall package.

Some of those scenes would have had a greater impact on me if I didn't see them before though.

Hixx

upJTboogie said:
The complaints about chapter 16 really surprised me, it was so fun running around the crates killing everyone with a shotgun and a pistol, so what if you died once or twice, it's not the end of the world, the game has a fantastic checkpoint system on top of that.

the checkpoint system is naff. it made the most frustrating parts of the game even more frustrating with where it would place you and the weapons you'd get. They may be plentiful but they certainly weren't fantastic.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
cpp_is_king said:

I didn't notice much stickiness on normal after I cranked the sensitivity up. The aiming still didn't feel as good as UC2 (or maybe it's the hit detection, I don't really know).

HixxSAFC said:
the checkpoint system is naff. it made the most frustrating parts of the game even more frustrating with where it would place you and the weapons you'd get. They may be plentiful but they certainly weren't fantastic.
The checkpoint system usually puts you in a better position in a certain firefight.
I never got handed any different weapons after a checkpoint, I get what I had before I died.

jett

D-Member
tigerin said:
btw, i want some of the uncharted 2 maps back. the temple one, snow, and the rainforest one were fun.

We already got 4 UC2 maps. I'd rather get new maps, especially if they're going to be DLC.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Just finished it - fun, although lacked the polish of UC2 outside of the (amazing) setpieces though. Things like checkpoints not remembering I'd just stealthed an entire section and spawning me with all enemies alerted, cinematics requiring player input not being clearly readable as such, and SFX/music being occasionally nonexistent were just some of the little niggles. Also design choices I felt weren't particularly great - being able to be killed by gunfire during melee combat that you can't break out of, some of the later more fantastical enemies having rather frustrating behaviour, stealth options being fairly lacklustre, and some relatively uninspired levels amidst the rest of the game.

BUT, there were a lot of awesome setpieces, great writing, really nice animation, and some really fun design of combat encounters that gave the player a lot of choices. The above stuff is really just minor problems amidst a great game.

Top Bottom