• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

iNvid02

I8aTo.jpg

another shirt up for grabs

quote2reveal

NewBrof

Hitchcock once said that your movie is only as good as your villains. If you do not have great villains, you don't have a great movie. I would say this is true for such cinematic games like Uncharted. Those villains were almost non-existent. There is no payoff in defeating them. Also the relationship between
Sully and Marlowe
was not developed at all. Great setpieces, but overall a very weak story.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that's Crushing done. I thought the game was much better paced when I skipped all the cutscenes.

I totally adjusted to the aiming too. I was one of the most vocal initially too. *shrug*

-Winnie-

I'm trying to like the multi, but it just pisses me off. The crazy recoil on the AK and aiming in general just makes everything feel clumsy. I enjoyed UC2 a lot more (in its early days, anyway)

Single player was fantastic though.
Desert was amazing, but I wish they let you linger in each scene a bit longer instead of cutting in and out so quickly. And the ending was a bit of a let down, it felt really rushed.

Just finished it last night. Gotta say I'm disappointed. I don't know if that was aided by the aiming issues mind, I never really found the gunfights to be enjoyable in this game.

Graphically it's exceptional, of course. Truly amazing, but the gameplay kind of left me a little bored and felt over too soon. Hated the
hallucination bits, especially the fire heads

It probably felt a little too similar to the last game, but never really wowed me as much. A few set pieces that did impress, I did feel like I'd played it all before.

Still good, but yeah just disappointing.

I Platinum'd the last 2 but I'm finding the motivation hard to go back through it again. Maybe I'll wait for the patch but my interest level is low right now.

Katana_Strikes said:
Hated the
hallucination bits, especially the fire heads

I thought this was well done, just in the way that they don't introduce them via a cutscene or whatever. You're just fighting dudes, and then BLAM. Took me by surprise at least. I also liked how they explained that happening- less supernatural stuff in the game, the better. Wish they went more in-depth with regards to
the djinn
, I feel like they explain pretty much everything unusual in the game except what that actually was.

Rez said:
Well, that's Crushing done. I thought the game was much better paced when I skipped all the cutscenes.

I totally adjusted to the aiming too. I was one of the most vocal initially too. *shrug*

By the end of the game I'd forgotten there even was a problem... though I'm sure when it gets patched up it'll be like a new beginning for me. I'm waiting for that before I attempt crushing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Chinner said:
this game was sent like over a week and a half ago and i still havent got it lol.
Same here. I contacted them though and got my money back + the game when it finally arrives. I did borrow the game from a friend and beat it though.

Corto

Ok. I'm now on to begin my first second playthrough of a game this generation, and on a more difficult setting... I'm hooked. Multiplayer can wait.

deepbrown

Green Scar said:
I thought this was well done, just in the way that they don't introduce them via a cutscene or whatever. You're just fighting dudes, and then BLAM. Took me by surprise at least. I also liked how they explained that happening- less supernatural stuff in the game, the better. Wish they went more in-depth with regards to
the djinn
, I feel like they explain pretty much everything unusual in the game except what that actually was.
I also feel that that was brilliantly done. The more story elements implemented into the gameplay the better. That's the only way you can combine the two rather than gameplay then cutscene.

And agree on the last point too, but maybe it's for the better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
arne said:
This patch was in the works for quite some time (relatively speaking). Anything we looked into or was discussed on Friday (or that Awesomesauce/Cartridgeblower mentioned) would have been too soon to make it in. I don't have any other details on that yet.
Has the lack of motion blur come up in discussions for a patch?

Corto said:
Ok. I'm now on to begin my first second playthrough of a game this generation, and on a more difficult setting... I'm hooked. Multiplayer can wait.

IMO the game is so much more fun and exciting on Hard/Crushing. There are some situations that are extensively annoying, but I could say that about any game on their hardest difficulty settings. The action scenes, which feel like a breeze on easy or normal, are much more engaging due to you not being able to soak up bullets and such, like the
desert chase
sequence. The difference is that the fast-paced action combined with you having to stay on your toes makes those action sequences ten times more exciting.

I don't think playing this game on anything below Hard does the setpieces any justice. A lot of people are talking about how the setpieces are just empty spectacles but on my harder playthroughs I found them to be anything but.

the new enemy type
djinn, were my favorite creatures from all games combined. they were fun to fight with their unique tricks, really enhanced the gameplay experience to a new level. too bad that they're so scarce.

Sinthetic

brandonh83 said:
IMO the game is so much more fun and exciting on Hard/Crushing. There are some situations that are extensively annoying, but I could say that about any game on their hardest difficulty settings. The action scenes, which feel like a breeze on easy or normal, are much more engaging due to you not being able to soak up bullets and such, like the
desert chase
sequence. The difference is that the fast-paced action combined with you having to stay on your toes makes those action sequences ten times more exciting.

I don't think playing this game on anything below Hard does the setpieces any justice. A lot of people are talking about how the setpieces are just empty spectacles but on my harder playthroughs I found them to be anything but.

Way to make me want to play it again so soon after finishing it, thanks mate! ;D

Augemitbutter said:
the new enemy type
djinn, were my favorite creatures from all games combined. they were fun to fight with their unique tricks, really enhanced the gameplay experience to a new level. too bad that they're so scarce.
They're frustrating, but yeah, pretty cool. I liked the blue dudes from UC2 a lot too, though, even though I know the very first battle with them is a challenge.

Corto

badcrumble said:
They're frustrating, but yeah, pretty cool. I liked the blue dudes from UC2 a lot too, though, even though I know the very first battle with them is a challenge.

THAT was a aiming challenge! hehehehe

badcrumble said:

i like the blue guys too, but i hate those form the first game. i simply hate ugly shit.

jett

D-Member
I replayed like four hours of Uncharted 1 over the weekend, the enemies have FANTASTIC hit reaction animations, bested only by Rage. What happened, ND, what happened...

Oh and the framerate in that game is awful, it barely holds up 30fps...I was definitely wrong about Uncharted 3 having the worst framerate in the series... :p

Corto

jett said:
I replayed like four hours of Uncharted 1 over the weekend, the enemies have FANTASTIC hit reaction animations, bested only by Rage. What happened, ND, what happened...

Oh and the framerate in that game is awful, it barely holds up 30fps...I was definitely wrong about Uncharted 3 having the worst framerate in the series... :p

Yep. And screen tearing also.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Chapter 10-11 are probably the best looking thing PS3 has ever put on the screen. My jaw was firmly dropped all the way through. I loved the chilling exchange at the end of 11, because that's the very same thing I thought back at the end of Chapter 3, even though I was able to justify it in my mind.

dark10x

jett said:

Yeah, the framerate is quite rough in Uncharted 1. I would love to see that game patched with some optimizations to solve these performance issues. The low framerate and constant tearing really hurt the overall visual presentation.

Chapter 10-11 are probably the best looking thing PS3 has ever put on the screen.
You'll be changing your tune as you play further. I kept thinking "there's no way they'll top this" and then they do. There is some seriously impressive visuals in this game.

jax (old)

Banned
-Winnie- said:
I'm trying to like the multi, but it just pisses me off. The crazy recoil on the AK and aiming in general just makes everything feel clumsy. I enjoyed UC2 a lot more (in its early days, anyway) [/spoiler]

MP is actually hella fun. Just played 3 hours tonight and was trying to get my deposit up to LVL3 and then got distracted by the team arena modes - I wish they had the normal swarm modes without the siege+plunder mixed in. team hunter = sort of awful and not fun. You'll really need deposit as everything is so expensive to unlock; a lot of 300k costing items.

also had a look at the criteria 4 "treasure hunting" to get the unlocks. holycrap is all I can say; it adds a lot of longevity - but I do wish the unlockables were a bit fancier. Would love a shiny gold mask for the characters instead of eye glass and turbans of the ilk. Even a top hat/xmas hat like that had for xmas last year would have been cool. I also wish they'd give you a "perma" wet outfit or something weird like a tanuki suit.

anyhow, the MP game is super super great and feels like UC2 of old. Don't mess with it. Level 50 or 51 now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lord Error said:
Chapter 10-11 are probably the best looking thing PS3 has ever put on the screen. My jaw was firmly dropped all the way through. I loved the chilling exchange at the end of 11, because that's the very same thing I thought back at the end of Chapter 3, even though I was able to justify it in my mind.
You really need to finish the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lord Error said:
Chapter 10-11 are probably the best looking thing PS3 has ever put on the screen.
Keep playing

jax (old)

Banned
dark10x said:
Yeah, the framerate is quite rough in Uncharted 1. I would love to see that game patched with some optimizations to solve these performance issues. The low framerate and constant tearing really hurt the overall visual presentation..

If there's anything they can do for a trio pack UC set - if its easy enough to implement. The current grenade system would be great. UC1's grenade is so archaic and unusable in comparison.

I really want to play through the campaign again, but I want to wait for the aiming and motion blur patch. :/

Hope the wait isn't more than a week or two.

Rengoku

Snkfanatic said:
Got a email from Amazon about a Drake costume code....after researching it, it appears it is for your avatar. Maybe for playstation home? Regardless if anyone wants the code it goes free to the first quote of this post.

me? pls?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
HOLY SHIT at the lighting and shadows when you're inside the
ship.

It's almost CG like. I was just standing there admiring the effects.

Yup. The lighting in the game is amazing.

3 more trophies until Platinum, and christ they are annoying. Need the:

-kill 4 enemies with one explosion
-roll to pick up ammo 30 times
-kill 50 enemies without auto-reload

goddddddddddddd

Rengoku

brandonh83 said:
3 more trophies until Platinum, and christ they are annoying. Need the:

-kill 4 enemies with one explosion
-roll to pick up ammo 30 times
-kill 50 enemies without auto-reload

goddddddddddddd

The nice thing about most of the trophies though is that restarting from a checkpoint repeatedly doesn't break the chain.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Completed it yesterday and loved it for the most part- just wasn't a fan of getting locked into melee battles the whole time when I wanted to dodge.

No incentive to go into the MP mode at all though following the beta- with Uncharted 2 it was the complete opposite.

Madrical

Banned
Beginning to think I judged it a bit harshly. While not perfect, it was really impressive. Then again, most of the impressive stuff was from a technical standpoint and not gameplay or story. Really the only thing they improved on from a gameplay point of view was the melee system. Everything else was either the same or worse. Puzzles were better, actually, except they completely stopped after, what, chapter 12? I need to replay it.

dark10x

Jason's Ultimatum said:
HOLY SHIT at the lighting and shadows when you're inside the
ship.

It's almost CG like. I was just standing there admiring the effects.
If this game were cleaned up for a PC release (1080p + AA+ AF + 60 fps) it would be, perhaps, the best looking game on the platform. The stuff they are doing here is much more impressive to me than anything in Battlefield 3 on the PC, for instance.

Madrical

Banned
dark10x said:
If this game were cleaned up for a PC release (1080p + AA+ AF + 60 fps) it would be, perhaps, the best looking game on the platform. The stuff they are doing here is much more impressive to me than anything in Battlefield 3 on the PC, for instance.
Yep.

Rengoku said:
The nice thing about most of the trophies though is that restarting from a checkpoint repeatedly doesn't break the chain.

Yeah I just figured that out. I got 2 of them in one stage, but now I'm trying to find a good spot for the 4 enemy explosion kill.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:

If only it had bullshot-level image quality...

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19257sand-drake-1319555714.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19258syria-climb-1319555714.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19259syria-well-choke-1319555713.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19261underground-tunnel-1319555712.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19242desertvillagepunched-1317992630.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19252london-streets-1319555715.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-19248forest-waterfall-1319555714.jpg

The PS3 is completely doing ND's work a disservice.

Anteater

Did they use less depth of field blur in UC3? It seems a lot more jaggier than I remember UC games being, especially for buildings and sceneries at a distance.

jett

D-Member
Anteater said:
Did they use less depth of field blur in UC3? It seems a lot more jaggier than I remember UC games being, especially for buildings and sceneries at a distance.

Use of depth of field is minimal in UC3 compared to UC2. Even during their pre-rendered cut-scenes. I don't know what's up with that.

brandonh83 said:
Yeah I just figured that out. I got 2 of them in one stage, but now I'm trying to find a good spot for the 4 enemy explosion kill.
Yeah, this is the one I'm having a lot of trouble with... It's kinda tough to group them all together

Top Bottom