• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
How are people getting better looking screenshots from the cinema? Everything comes out as an overly compressed mess for me. Or are people just cleaning them up in Photoshop?

BeeDog

jett said:
I replayed like four hours of Uncharted 1 over the weekend, the enemies have FANTASTIC hit reaction animations, bested only by Rage. What happened, ND, what happened...

Oh and the framerate in that game is awful, it barely holds up 30fps...I was definitely wrong about Uncharted 3 having the worst framerate in the series... :p

The complaints that enemies dodged bullets like fucking Neo probably forced Naughty Dog to tone down the hit reactions. Too bad they didn't stick at the UC2 levels, since hit reactions barely exist in UC3. :(

jett

D-Member
BeeDog said:
The complaints that enemies dodged bullets like fucking Neo probably forced Naughty Dog to tone down the hit reactions. Too bad they didn't stick at the UC2 levels, since hit reactions barely exist in UC3. :(

But they don't really dodge anything, and I'm talking about the animations when your bullets hit, they're fantastic. Especially when you're blasting one of the fatasses with your AK47! A real shame. The enemies in UC2 were also pretty lame to be honest. The pirates in UC1 had a lot of personality.

jett

D-Member
Mooreberg said:
How are people getting better looking screenshots from the cinema? Everything comes out as an overly compressed mess for me. Or are people just cleaning them up in Photoshop?

Uncharted 3 outputs PNG files. I have no idea why you're getting compressed pictures. This is what they look like to me:

uncharted3_drakesdecev5khp.png

BeeDog

jett said:
But they don't really dodge anything, and I'm talking about the animations when your bullets hit, they're fantastic. Especially when you're blasting one of the fatasses with your AK47! A real shame. The enemies in UC2 were also pretty lame to be honest. The pirates in UC1 had a lot of personality.

Ah... from what I could remember, I assumed the Neo dance came up when your first bullet(s) hit them. I guess I need to go back and double-check :p

Platinum'd. Now to finally get into the multiplayer. Trophies were pretty easy for this one due to a fairly easy crushing mode. However I cannot beat crushing on Uncharted 1 to save my life.

Ricky_R

BeeDog said:
Ah... from what I could remember, I assumed the Neo dance came up when your first bullet(s) hit them. I guess I need to go back and double-check :p

I too remember enemies clearly dodging bullets. They moved their heads sideways to avoid headshots.

jett said:

I need to play UC1 again to confirm but I remember the pirates having really entertaining reactions to grenades and getting hit in the combat sections. A lot of that does seem devoid in UC3.

jett

D-Member
Ricky_R said:
I too remember enemies clearly dodging bullets. They moved their heads sideways to avoid headshots.

They do move around when you point at them, but it's really of not much help to them. :p And once your bullets hit they stop trying to dodge anything.

The enemy hit reactions were great in U2. How they got to where they are in U3 where it feels like the AI is abusing invincibility frames is a mystery to me. Try to shoot a guy sliding into cover and marvel at the 1998 (non)reactions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jett said:
Yeah, I absolutely detest the way the "heavy" enemies are used in U3. They do not react to your fire in the slightest. They soak up bullets more easily than the Locust in Gears and never flinch until they're dead.

I appreciate the strategy involved in dealing with them in a crowded scene, but they can be annoying when you can't take them down and they kill you with a single shotgun blast.

Ricky_R

jett said:
They do move around when you point at them, but it's really of not much help to them. :p And once your bullets hit they stop trying to dodge anything.

Oh yeah... It's really at first when you're aiming for the first time, but I found that impressive at the time.

BeeDog

NewBrof said:
I checked my stats after I finished the game. Accuracy was on 30.2% ... I would be interested what figures GAF has?

I had 35.4%. Seems most GAF'ers that bothered posting that stat averaged roughly the same. :p

ultron87

The constant reuse of the big bald guy you have to melee is a little obnoxious.

Though I guess it could theoretically just be the same henchman you are knocking out over and over.

Despite my issues, I am looking forward to playing more since I apparently just got to where the game gets amazing (Chapter 12).

dark10x said:
Yeah, I absolutely detest the way the "heavy" enemies are used in U3. They do not react to your fire in the slightest. They soak up bullets more easily than the Locust in Gears and never flinch until they're dead.

I appreciate the strategy involved in dealing with them in a crowded scene, but they can be annoying when you can't take them down and they kill you with a single shotgun blast.
The 'heavy' enemies are also holding shotguns about 95% of the time too, whereas in UC2 they were much more varied - so they're ALWAYS just slowly plodding up to you and getting ready to shoot you in the head (or, laughably, get within shotgun range and decide to take a swing at you instead). It takes what used to be varied and strategic combat and turns it into a sort of simple rock/paper/scissors thing - you plink away at armored enemies' heads from afar with rapid-fire weapons and you blow away the armorless guys up close with more powerful stuff.

jett said:
one of the major complaint of U1 is that when enemy is in hit animation, they're invincible to further shot until the animation is done. it give the illusion of bullet sponges when you shoot enemy repeatedly and they need like 6-8 bullet to die when it actually only register 3 or 4 of your shot.

I don't know if U2 enemies still has that though. could be one reason why they tone down hit animation.

Dever

Banned
hamchan said:
Would have been cooler if he was really magic. Or if he was mind controlled by the djinn in the jar and given some extra powers as a result.

Totally disagree with this. One of my favorite aspects of the story in Uncharted games is that there's an at least somewhat plausible rational explanation for all the weird shit.

NewBrof said:
I checked my stats after I finished the game. Accuracy was on 30.2% ... I would be interested what figures GAF has?

46%, which seems high to me because I'm not that good at the game and barely got the 100 headshots trophy on my first run

Audioboxer

WTF is the deal with the difficulty spike inside the boat? Having to replay a section over and over kind of kills the game :/

Also, does this game have the most exaggerated AK recoil ever?

Thrakier

The recoil in that game is AMAZING. It's the best about the gunplay, loving it. They nailed it. Go back to Gears of War 2 and shudder when you fire heavy machine guns which probably weight about 50pounds with NO recoil at all.

Wickwire

revolverjgw said:
46%, which seems high to me because I'm not that good at the game and barely got the 100 headshots trophy on my first run

I got that trophy mid way through my first run and I'm hoovering around 28%. I was always aiming for headshots. did you aim more for the body?

Scanna

just finished, stats around 33%...had more than 50% on my first run in uncharted 2 and a hundred more headshots
still, such a beautiful game, loved the settings, 10X more than uncharted 2

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game seriously has so much better puzzles than the first two. This is exactly the kind of stuff it should have had from the first game. That and the on-foot chase sections. I'm surprised there hasn't been more credit given to them for the improvement made in this area, they really worked hard to put more 'adventure' into action adventure with this game.

I think I missed the story beat as to why they've decided to go to Yemen though.

dark10x said:
They do not react to your fire in the slightest. They soak up bullets more easily than the Locust in Gears and never flinch until they're dead.
I think they literally flinch back a bit if you fire a shotgun at them. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

NewBrof said:

On my normal run (which was my first), my accuracy was about 45% or so. Still in the beginning of my second run (very easy) it's already jumped to 50+%

Scanna

Lord Error said:
The game seriously has so much better puzzles than the first two. This is exactly the kind of stuff it should have had from the first game. That and the on-foot chase sections. I'm surprised there hasn't been more credit given to them for the improvement made in this are, they really worked hard to put more 'adventure' into action adventure with this game.
this. iQuote

Massa

WTF is the deal with the difficulty spike inside the boat? Having to replay a section over and over kind of kills the game :/

There are several more sections like this from this point until the end of the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, this might be the only game, or at least a recent game, that showed a contemporary middle eastern location as a beautiful, colorful place full of life and friendliness, instead of some bleak war torn ruin. Very refreshing for a change.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The aiming seems more responsive now, did they stealthily tweak it? Nah... it's just my mind playing tricks on me. Arrggh.

The game feels much more enjoyable in the second playthrough for some reason.

Wickwire said:
I got that trophy mid way through my first run and I'm hoovering around 28%. I was always aiming for headshots. did you aim more for the body?

That must be it, I rarely go for the head unless I have a scoped weapon. The aiming feeling a bit off made me play it safe and always go for the body

You are a king thank you man.
The OP finally has a UPDATES section near the top so people can stay abreast on everything going on with the game. Its something that should have been on the OP weeks ago but I finally got around to it.

Meisadragon said:
The aiming seems more responsive now, did they stealthily tweak it? Nah... it's just my mind playing tricks on me. Arrggh.

The game feels much more enjoyable in the second playthrough for some reason.

Yup. Melee is way better and because you know what is coming it lets you soak in the game a little bit more. I like it more and more each time I play it.

It's one of the most bullshit encounters in the game because if you are spotted and die/reload, they respawn you on some middle platform with everyone alerted to your presence.

I managed to stealth kill 5 guys on Crushing yesterday, but was spotted going for the 6th, killed, and had to hide in the water like a bitch taking pot-shots.

Terribly designed encounter.

It doesn't have recoil in the traditional game-sense; instead of constantly rising and increasing the bullet-spread when firing (like the U2 AK), it just bounces around wherever you are aiming.

Ok, can someone explain something to me? Uncharted 3 is the 1st Uncharted game I play.. I don't have 'hazy memories' of anything else in the series. I beat it a few days ago. Bought the 1+2 bundle yesterday, and started playing the 2nd. I've played for around 2 hrs, and I can't put my finger on it, but EVERYTHING feels so much better. From the graphics, to the story, to the flow, to the tension, to the gun battles, enemy hit reactions, aiming, depth of field, FIGHT SEQUENCES- literally everything. As I said I beat 3 just now so everything is fresh.

Can someone logicaly explain to me how some of these gameplay elements are so objecively worse? Why are gunfights so much funner in U2? They actually get shot back and fall realistically, and something I noticed right away, which wouldnt have happened if they did the same in UC3. Why is the aiming so much better and less frustrating? Someone help me out here, because I'm having trouble understanding how so many elements seem to digress for the worse. This is coming from someone who has never played an uncharted game before a week ago.

RDreamer

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Ok, can someone explain something to me? Uncharted 3 is the 1st Uncharted game I play.. I don't have 'hazy memories' of anything else in the series. I beat it a few days ago. Bought the 1+2 bundle yesterday, and started playing the 2nd. I've played for around 2 hrs, and I can't put my finger on it, but EVERYTHING feels so much better. From the graphics, to the story, to the flow, to the tension, to the gun battles, enemy hit reactions, aiming, depth of field, FIGHT SEQUENCES- literally everything. As I said I beat 3 just now so everything is fresh.

Can someone logicaly explain to me how some of these gameplay elements are so objecively worse? Why are gunfights so much funner in U2? They actually get shot back and fall realistically, and something I noticed right away, which wouldnt have happened if they did the same in UC3. Why is the aiming so much better and less frustrating? Someone help me out here, because I'm having trouble understanding how so many elements seem to digress for the worse. This is coming from someone who has never played an uncharted game before a week ago.

As for the story, of course 3 isn't going to be as impactful as 2 is now. 3's focus was on the relationships between the characters, especially between Drake and Sully but also between Drake and Elena. If you have no background with those characters then of course it's going to fall a bit flatter. 2 only relies on that stuff a very little bit, but the focus is elsewhere. And now that you've played another Uncharted, you know the characters a little bit, so it'll be better anyway.

As for the aiming and the gunfights being fun I think your main problem is probably with the aiming, and that'll be fixed very soon. I think the gunfights in 3 will be excellent and will hold up well next to 2 once the aiming is a bit better.

As for graphics, maybe the motion blur is fooling you? That'll be fixed soon too, but other than that the graphics are, I think, better in 3. There are a few janky animations here and there from the added fist fighting, I'll admit, but overall 3 beats 2 in that department.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying the campaign, despite the horrific aiming and control issues. Excellent pacing, excellent banter, and excellent audio/video. And with that said, they need to put this series on the backburner until they have new scenarios and gameplay cooked up. I wouldn't call it stale just yet, but U4 with a similar setup would probably take us there.

RDreamer said:
As for the story, of course 3 isn't going to be as impactful as 2 is now. 3's focus was on the relationships between the characters, especially between Drake and Sully but also between Drake and Elena. If you have no background with those characters then of course it's going to fall a bit flatter. 2 only relies on that stuff a very little bit, but the focus is elsewhere. And now that you've played another Uncharted, you know the characters a little bit, so it'll be better anyway.

As for the aiming and the gunfights being fun I think your main problem is probably with the aiming, and that'll be fixed very soon. I think the gunfights in 3 will be excellent and will hold up well next to 2 once the aiming is a bit better.

As for graphics, maybe the motion blur is fooling you? That'll be fixed soon too, but other than that the graphics are, I think, better in 3. There are a few janky animations here and there from the added fist fighting, I'll admit, but overall 3 beats 2 in that department.

What does 'fixed' mean? I mean, aiming is a core gameplay mechanic. Obviously they didn't believe it was 'broken', otherwise they wouldnt have made it as it is. Not like its a small glitch that needs 'fixing'. It only takes playtesting for 10 seconds notice the differences. SAme with motion blur. What, they just 'forgot' to include it? Also not something that fits under the category of 'fix'. Also, its irrelevant. This patch will come too late for most people who have already finished the game. Also, I don't know how 'soon' you're expecting it, as the patch to be released doesn't include that stuff. I'd say not less than another couple weeks, which, again, is pretty moot at this point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really don't think UC2 looks better, and I played it right after UC3 the other day. Fantastic looking still, though. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up liking UC3 more overall despite the aiming/shooting setbacks, thanks to its focus on adventuring and characters personalities.

RDreamer

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
What does 'fixed' mean? I mean, aiming is a core gameplay mechanic. Obviously they didn't believe it was 'broken', otherwise they wouldnt have made it as it is. Not like its a small glitch that needs 'fixing'. It only takes playtesting for 10 seconds notice the differences. SAme with motion blur. What, they just 'forgot' to include it? Also not something that fits under the category of 'fix'. Also, its irrelevant. This patch will come too late for most people who have already finished the game. Also, I don't know how 'soon' you're expecting it, as the patch to be released doesn't include that stuff. I'd say not less than another couple weeks, which, again, is pretty moot at this point.

Motion blur did accidentally get disabled somehow. It was in everything up until the gold master. So, yeah, somehow they did forget to include it, as hilarious as that is.

And as for aiming I'm not really sure how they didn't get that it was worse. They seemed kind of dumbfounded as to what was wrong. Numerically the two games were identical as far as code, I guess, but the changes to the gameplay and things really seemed to have affected the aiming. So they invited some gaffers down and looked things over and I believe they've come to a conclusion and a fix is indeed in the pipeline. Yeah it does suck that it requires a fix to get on par with 2, but I don't think it makes the game unplayable or anything. It's still a wonderful game, and once that fix is in place, personally I'll probably like 3 the best in the series.

Corto

Chiggs said:
I'm really enjoying the campaign, despite the horrific aiming and control issues. Excellent pacing, excellent banter, and excellent audio/video. And with that said, they need to put this series on the backburner until they have new scenarios and gameplay cooked up. I wouldn't call it stale just yet, but U4 with a similar setup would probably take us there.

Before playing UC3 I thought ND would play the "Indiana Jones Chronicles" card on UC4, but now... But one thing is for sure, I can't wait to play Golden Abyss on Vita! Uncharted on the go will be a bliss!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just to ask again, I missed why they decided to go to Yemen? It's right after they escape the
Syria in the bus, after Drake finds the 2nd half of the amulet.

RDreamer

Lord Error said:
Just to ask again, I missed why they decided to go to Yemen? It's right after they escape the
Syria in the bus, after Drake finds the 2nd half of the amulet.

The amulet's inscription tells them that's where to go for the next clue for the location of Ubar

Top Bottom