• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Bigfoot

BeeDog said:
The complaints that enemies dodged bullets like fucking Neo probably forced Naughty Dog to tone down the hit reactions. Too bad they didn't stick at the UC2 levels, since hit reactions barely exist in UC3. :(

Never heard it put that way, but yeah the enemies in UC1 had crazy dodge abilities. There was definitely same AI cheating going on in UC1... an enemy could be doing nothing for literally 30 seconds but the moment you put your crosshairs on him, he would suddenly begin to dodge.

Darkkn

SuperSonic1305 said:
Holy fuck at the museum multiplayer map. It looks so good now.
Looks good, but it's plays pretty terribly :( Museum and Highrise are the two ugly ducklings in map selection imo.

Kinda dissapointed that there is so few new maps and some of the remastered maps look worse now.

Rikyfree

brandonh83 said:
Platinum'd. Now to finally get into the multiplayer. Trophies were pretty easy for this one due to a fairly easy crushing mode. However I cannot beat crushing on Uncharted 1 to save my life.
I just plat'ed it too. But I guess I'm weird. I had a harder time with this on Crushing than in U1.

RDreamer

Porthos said:
Never heard it put that way, but yeah the enemies in UC1 had crazy dodge abilities. There was definitely same AI cheating going on in UC1... an enemy could be doing nothing for literally 30 seconds but the moment you put your crosshairs on him, he would suddenly begin to dodge.

But that was kind of awesome because you could easily predict the dodge animation. I got so good at it that I was headshotting them at the same point in that animation every time. I would love causing that animation to happen so I could do that.

gdt

Darkkn said:
Looks good, but it's plays pretty terribly :( Museum and Highrise are the two ugly ducklings in map selection imo.

Kinda dissapointed that there is so few new maps and some of the remastered maps look worse now.

I hate the Museum, love Highrise.

Fortune Hunter's Pack here I come.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Ok, can someone explain something to me? Uncharted 3 is the 1st Uncharted game I play.. I don't have 'hazy memories' of anything else in the series. I beat it a few days ago. Bought the 1+2 bundle yesterday, and started playing the 2nd. I've played for around 2 hrs, and I can't put my finger on it, but EVERYTHING feels so much better. From the graphics, to the story, to the flow, to the tension, to the gun battles, enemy hit reactions, aiming, depth of field, FIGHT SEQUENCES- literally everything. As I said I beat 3 just now so everything is fresh.

Can someone logicaly explain to me how some of these gameplay elements are so objecively worse? Why are gunfights so much funner in U2? They actually get shot back and fall realistically, and something I noticed right away, which wouldnt have happened if they did the same in UC3. Why is the aiming so much better and less frustrating? Someone help me out here, because I'm having trouble understanding how so many elements seem to digress for the worse. This is coming from someone who has never played an uncharted game before a week ago.
Well good - do you like Uncharted 2? Welcome to the franchise! Why did you wait so long?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been really enjoying the Co-op content. Played through a full run of Arena last night, and I've played all the adventure levels at least once. I played a bit of the competitive and got my ass handed to me, but it's still a ton of fun.

Hopefully if I have time tonight after working out and grocery shopping, I'm hoping I can get some multiplayer in with my roommate tonight.

Darkkn

So are the 3 legacy skin packs, that are available now the only skin packs that you get with Fortune Hunter's Club? If so, that's weak.
I'ts annoying that ND hasn't given a sufficient info on Club to make purchase decision... How many maps per pack? legacy or new? etc.

jett

D-Member
Darkkn said:
So are the 3 legacy skin packs, that are available now the only skin packs that you get with Fortune Hunter's Club? If so, that's weak.
I'ts annoying that ND hasn't given a sufficient info on Club to make purchase decision... How many maps per pack? legacy or new? etc.

You get all the skins except for Fat Lazarevich.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Okay the screens only looked sub par in XMB. They look the way I'd expect a PNG to when you view them on a computer.

HIGH FIVE!
14sdtew.png

RDreamer

How long is that Fortune Hunter's Club thing going to be offered? Like if I don't get it today or something is it going to be taken down and all I can do is buy everything separately?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Frozen Facility is so great.

Still bummed about rebuying skins, and that Pinkerton & Rika are apparently too problematic to port over / have been retconned out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NewBrof said:
I checked my stats after I finished the game. Accuracy was on 30.2% ... I would be interested what figures GAF has?

Mine ended up at 37%, it's a little less than double that in UC2.

Jb

thetrin said:
I've been really enjoying the Co-op content. Played through a full run of Arena last night, and I've played all the adventure levels at least once. I played a bit of the competitive and got my ass handed to me, but it's still a ton of fun.

Hopefully if I have time tonight after working out and grocery shopping, I'm hoping I can get some multiplayer in with my roommate tonight.
Yeah Co op adventure is really awesome. Probably my favorite MP mode of the game. Ended up solo-ing the final battle yesterday on Monastery on hard, felt as good as beating a boss in Dark Souls :)

Mifune

Mehmber
Played through Chapter 12 last night.

What an incredible sequence that was, and one of the first parts of the game where the nuts-and-bolts shooter gameplay was a lot of fun. The whole thing felt like a mini (okay, very mini) sandbox with combat you could approach in many different ways.

Glad I played it on Normal because I didn't experience any of the frustration many of you guys talked about. In fact, it was maybe a little too easy, since I had cleared out the entire area and found myself wandering around trying to figure out where to go next.

The best part:
"Two down, a shitload to go."

Cheska

Mifune said:
Played through Chapter 12 last night.

What an incredible sequence that was, and one of the first parts of the game where the nuts-and-bolts shooter gameplay was a lot of fun. The whole thing felt like a mini (okay, very mini) sandbox with combat you could approach in many different ways.

Glad I played it on Normal because I didn't experience any of the frustration many of you guys talked about. In fact, it was maybe a little too easy, since I had cleared out the entire area and found myself wandering around trying to figure out where to go next.

The best part:
"Two down, a shitload to go."

Chapter 12 was probably one of my favorite sequences. I just loved that there are so many different ways to approach the enemies, and a crap ton of weapons to juggle around with.

Corto

The first chapters on crushing make the melee a completely different experience, for the better. This should be the normal setting for hand-to-hand combat with button prompts in the first fight just as a tutorial and then turn them off. I'm a little wary of some of the late game arenas though.
Fire demons will rape me.

Papercuts

Yeah, the parts where they throw you against a few people in hand to hand combat is much better on crushing without the notifications. Still not a fan of the system when you're in gun combat.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Corto said:
The first chapters on crushing make the melee a completely different experience, for the better. This should be the normal setting for hand-to-hand combat with button prompts in the first fight just as a tutorial and then turn them off. I'm a little wary of some of the late game arenas though.
God, fuck those guys. I'm so glad
they stop appearing after 3-4 encounters

Corto

Papercuts said:
Yeah, the parts where they throw you against a few people in hand to hand combat is much better on crushing without the notifications. Still not a fan of the system when you're in gun combat.

If they add a mini combo system that could finish with a shot to the face it would be just delicious.

RDreamer

Anyone have any tips on Crushing for:

The part in Yemen where they drop that gas and then they all drop down that sewer at you.

Honestly I can't get it. Either the brute guy comes out of nowhere and hits me or I get locked in a fight with him and get shotgunned. Or I just get shotgunned by 2 gunners that I can't get away from because there's no damned room. Honestly this feels like one of the hardest fights in the entire series on crushing, because I can't really figure out what I need to do.

AAAND right when I ask for tips I get it.

Rengoku

RDreamer said:
Anyone have any tips on Crushing for:

The part in Yemen where they drop that gas and then they all drop down that sewer at you.

Honestly I can't get it. Either the brute guy comes out of nowhere and hits me or I get locked in a fight with him and get shotgunned. Or I just get shotgunned by 2 gunners that I can't get away from because there's no damned room. Honestly this feels like one of the hardest fights in the entire series on crushing, because I can't really figure out what I need to do.

Grab your shotgun, keep running in circles around the perimeter of the room, and use blind fire. Don't stop moving. And leave the brute guy til the end after everyone else is dead.

Corto said:

You'll be much more prepared the second time round, since you know exactly where they pop up. I went into those fights equipped with grenades, Tau sniper and grenade launcher, it was a breeze.

jax (old)

Banned
WTF is the deal with the difficulty spike inside the boat? Having to replay a section over and over kind of kills the game :/

RyanardoDaVinci said:
It's one of the most bullshit encounters in the game because if you are spotted and die/reload, they respawn you on some middle platform with everyone alerted to your presence.

I didnt think the boat was that difficult to be honest. the
1st fight after the desert
where you had no weapon and had to melee one out was way more difficult as I'd constantly die just as I got a weapon or before I did. That was probably the only section in the game where I was like "well, that's a bit ... much?"

Lord Error said:
The game seriously has so much better puzzles than the first two. This is exactly the kind of stuff it should have had from the first game. .

really? I thought the scope of the puzzles were grander but UC2 had more, they weren't bad and it was throughout the entire campaign. The one great puzzle here was the
shadow
one but I don't recall the rest. The
chessboard
one was alright. bit easy.... and mechanically, the
map/column one
was kind of neat as it broke the "notebook" solution for the others - and nate actually held that shit up so you saw the thing from his POV.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jax, without quoting you to reveal your spoilers - there were practically no puzzles in UC2 that could be solved without seeing the solution 100% spelled out for you in Drake's diary. It was the same thing in UC1.

OK, there was one place in UC2 where you were supposed to dislodge the car from the river, and then right after that to escape the room with the spiky ceiling. Those two places required you to think for a moment at least.

There's been already a few neat puzzles in UC3 that could be solved just by figuring stuff out from your environment, and some that require you to look at the diary for the first step, and then again to figure stuff out from the environment. Also I'm only half way thorugh the game and I think it already had more puzzles - not to mention good ones, than the entirety of UC1 and probably UC2.

Raonak

Banned
Jax said:
really? I thought the scope of the puzzles were grander but UC2 had more, they weren't bad and it was throughout the entire campaign. The one great puzzle here was the
shadow
one but I don't recall the rest. The
chessboard
one was alright. bit easy.... and mechanically, the
map/column one
was kind of neat as it broke the "notebook" solution for the others - and nate actually held that shit up so you saw the thing from his POV.

Really? heres the uncharted 2 puzzles were horrible, I wouldn't even consider them puzzles.
rather than the diary giving you a hint(as in U3) it gives you the whole solution

1- in the temple; with moving the hands to what appeared in the journal: required no brain power
2- in the temple, with the giant dagger and the lights: sorta puzzle-like. but extremely easy. adjust light; go to point; insert dagger; climb giant dagger; and repeat.
3- in the monastery, where you found chloe and got the dagger back. just move the blocks to the platforms. extremely easy- just look in diary for solution
4- just after #3, have to rotate the cylinders, easy again, diary has solution.
5- a repeat of #4 but on a bigger scale; when you're with flinn in the pathway to shambala

in U3 it felt good finishing a puzzle; cause it required some effort to get it. i had a huge smile across my face when the shaodw alligned in the shadow puzzle.

RDreamer

The puzzles were A LOT better in 3. That was my one big problem with 2, really. The puzzles weren't puzzles at all. They held your hand way too much. I still have a problem with them practically giving the solution away in dialogue, though, but it's a step in the right direction.

Gyrian

D2M15 said:
and that Pinkerton & Rika are apparently too problematic to port over / have been retconned out.

Is that confirmed?
They both get mentions in the game credits for additional MP dialogue, if I remember well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RDreamer said:
The puzzles were A LOT better in 3. That was my one big problem with 2, really. The puzzles weren't puzzles at all. They held your hand way too much. I still have a problem with them practically giving the solution away in dialogue, though, but it's a step in the right direction.
To be fair they usually did it after I already figured out what needs to be done, so they wait a bit at least. Even when you know what needs to be done it's still quite fun to work though some of the puzzles like the
forced perspective murder scene room in Yemen

jax (old)

Banned
Raonak said:
2- in the temple, with the giant dagger and the lights: sorta puzzle-like. but extremely easy. adjust light; go to point; insert dagger; climb giant dagger; and repeat.

you know. we're just listing things but this particular "puzzle" combined traversal, a grand scale; amazing gold flecks on the thing, those scale like things you climbed - that I spun around to gawk at. It was a pretty amazing "puzzle" if you can call it that. Its more like an enviroment thing you marvelled at - the grandscale and ornate detail. Absolutely loved it.

the chateau puzzle in 3;
statue facing
wasn't the greatest. Anyhow; I get that they can't introduce puzzles on
the boat level
but it was a massive missed oppourtunity in the final act (last 3 chapters?).

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Gyrian said:
Is that confirmed?
They both get mentions in the game credits for additional MP dialogue, if I remember well.

I'm just assuming the worst since they're not included in any of the skin packs. Fingers crossed they're just fashionably LTTP.

legbone

yep, so glad the puzzles are good in this one. i really did not think 2's puzzles were worth a damn. these are great. i'm really liking this one much more than 2. the last third of 2 kind of bored the shit out of me to be honest.

RDreamer

Lord Error said:
To be fair they usually did it after I already figured out what needs to be done, so they wait a bit at least. Even when you know what needs to be done it's still quite fun to work though some of the puzzles like the
forced perspective murder scene room in Yemen

Yeah, usually it was just after I had figured it out, but I think a few times throughout the series I'd be looking around admiring the scenery and trying my hardest to look for all the treasures and then I'd get back to the puzzle and they're harassing me to finish it or blurt out an answer.

Papercuts

Jax said:
you know. we're just listing things but this particular "puzzle" combined traversal, a grand scale; amazing gold flecks on the thing, those scale like things you climbed - that I spun around to gawk at. It was a pretty amazing "puzzle" if you can call it that. Its more like an enviroment thing you marvelled at - the grandscale and ornate detail. Absolutely loved it.

the chateau puzzle in 3;
statue facing
wasn't the greatest. Anyhow; I get that they can't introduce puzzles on
the boat level
but it was a massive missed oppourtunity in the final act (last 3 chapters?).

It screamed rushed at the end that you didn't have any puzzles at all.
Drake loses the journal leading into the boat stuff, so from chapter 12-22(iirc) he doesn't have it. Sully explicitly talks and gives it to him in one room near the end, but why? They didn't use it, but it seemed like they planned on it.

I do think 3 has some of the best in the series, but it's all in chapter 4(being generous, the first "real" one isn't until 6)-11. There's none after it, which hurts the pacing a lot.

iNvid02

lastplayed said:
I love it when you throw Drake off a cliff and he screams "YEEAARRGGG!" and then Sully lets out a muted "...no".

lol yes, it pulls you out of the experience really fast, and you realize your playing a game.
that and the crazy ragdoll deaths

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finally relented and started the game, its been sitting there for a week and I couldnt take it any longer.

Positives first: ridiculously gorgeous. The lighting and real time shadowing is just beyond anything else. The acting is as ever top notch, often going far beyond film quality even. I quite like the cheeky Jason Statham stand-in so far while I hated whats-his-traitor-face in 2. Environments are of course exceptional.

And here comes the rest. Obviously the aiming and controls have been gone over probably a hundred times by others, but they beggar belief. They're not just bad, they're almost 'Fire your entire testing and QA department' bad. The slow down to sticky crawl drag when the reticule gets near an enemy, the INSANE diagonal issues, the bizarre drunkeness to all of Nate's navigational movement (is this the 'reaching out to things' animation's fault). I just don't understand it, it boggles my mind how nobody could see it until after release and even then take persuading to see it. Especially when the multiplayer seems to still have Uncharted 2 controls and aiming, did they keep the two dev teams locked up in separate safe houses with no contact?

I don't want to play it until the patch now. I want to actually enjoy myself than fight against pure frustration before accepting some of the worst aiming I've ever played in a game. Please hurry up with it :/

Top Bottom