• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Chuck

Still without luck
Just finished it. Great, but not as good as Uncharted 2. I had quite a few issues with bugs, glitches, scripting problems and just a general lack of polish in some spots. There was none of that in U2.

Still, I definitely want to play through it again on crushing, so I will wait for that aiming and motion blur patch before I do.

patsu

krioto said:
Charted - Crushing. Game is fantastic experience - really enjoyed it much better on the crushing difficulty.

Crap, I play Co-op Adventure quite a bit. Noticed that many people prefer to play them on Hard and Crushing. The thing is we usually ended up losing the game against the AI. -_-

I wished people were more humble, and take things step by step. ^_^

RDreamer

WHAT THE FUCK ND!?!

This is the most BS thing ever.

In the big ship graveyard thing I figure I should swim to the other side and take control of the turret thing at the end and pick people off as they come. Well, I do that and get beat up by a guy almost immediately after I shoot. I think "Ok that's weird maybe I missed him." I go back there and wait and wait and wait. Don't see anyone. So I start the fight again, and get punched in the head the SECOND I fire. He literally spawns on top of you. What the fucking fuck.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Some multiplayer screenshots

uncharted3_drakesdecefd72n.png

Museum
uncharted3_drakesdeces87bu.png

uncharted3_drakesdecen67f2.png

Yemen+Tenzin
uncharted3_drakesdeceg47fk.png

uncharted3_drakesdecex47mr.png

jax (old)

Banned
pretty sure it'd be fine to delete subway. The save is off the server. To be safe; just play a few games; level up then delete it.

ChuckNoLuck said:
Just finished it. Great, but not as good as Uncharted 2. I had quite a few issues with bugs, glitches, scripting problems and just a general lack of polish in some spots. There was none of that in U2.

Still, I definitely want to play through it again on crushing, so I will wait for that aiming and motion blur patch before I do.

I would have to agree, but still found myself enjoying this one as much if not more. I can't really pin point why either.

I too will wait for the patch before I play the SP again.

Zoibie

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Is it safe to delete the subway beta save and game data? I don't want to lose my mp progress.

Yeah you can delete the beta stuff. Just don't delete your U3 stuff by accident.

Atrus

Gold Member
Finished the game on Crushing last night. I have to say that I enjoyed it a little better on the second play through but the difficulty really points out how poorly thought out the combat arena design really is.

Instead of making you maneuver across the environment for combat, it just encourages you to dig in to one defensible location and this made Crushing a little less difficult than UC2.

Melee was different but not necessarily better in the game play sense. I liked the new animations involved, but getting shot to shit with a lengthier combat mechanic kind of made it a bad idea except for the melee only areas. Even in the 1:1 fights, you basically auto win if you mash triangle and rapidly press circle in any instance where the enemy has a full grip on you (lifting you up, strangling, etc.)

Several areas are so small, maneuvering is not even possible and to make matters worse, any companion you might have will occupy 1 of 2 or the only sensible cover location, forcing you to constantly butt them out of the way.

There's also a pretty shitty save point before 'Mr. Roadkill' that's annoying since it pits you against 6 enemies and a 15-20 second window. The game feels a bit rushed since it could have done with a bit more play testing, especially on the difficult settings. Even the story is a bit rough in some areas and could use more meat to ratchet it up to UC2 levels.

jax (old)

Banned
Gotta say I really want to revisit the game again because so many people are liking it a lot more but on the second run. I think whatever niggles I'll have with it should go on my second run. I hope UC3 goes to 2nd on the list for Novembers npd (what with the mw3 juggernaut to contend with). It's a tremendous title, despite the issues I have with it.

Aim patch needs to come out ASAP

Edit.

Nice!! @ patch news.

I hope they diminish his stumbly drunkness too.

gdt

Splitscreen is incredible. My brother and I have been running through all the co op modes, plus Team Deathmatch as buddies, rolling together moving down dudes. It's AWESOME.

RoboPlato said:
I can't wait to hear the full details. Waiting for the patch for my Crushing run.

I don't see how the patch is going to fix anything about Crushing. I thought what people are complaining about is related to auto aim. Auto aim is completely off in Crushing. Are they patching the difficulty of mobs or changing something more fundamental that would affect Crushing somehow?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jax said:
Gotta say I really want to revisit the game again because so many people are liking it a lot more but on the second run. I think whatever niggles I'll have with it should go on my second run. I hope UC3 goes to 2nd on the list for Novembers npd (what with the mw3 juggernaut to contend with). It's a tremendous title, despite the issues I have with it.

Aim patch needs to come out ASAP
Add me to the list of people that liked it more the second time around. I played it on hard and really enjoyed it on a second run. I was actually surprised at how much more I liked it. Same thing happened with 2, actually.

cpp_is_king said:
I don't see how the patch is going to fix anything about Crushing. I thought what people are complaining about is related to auto aim. Auto aim is completely off in Crushing. Are they patching the difficulty of mobs or changing something more fundamental that would affect Crushing somehow?
It's not just the auto aim but it's also the movement of the crosshair in single player that's being adjusted. I probably don't need it but a break then jumping in with the new aiming would probably help how I would do on it. Plus the patch is also going to have some visual improvements so I'd like to run through the game a full time again with those.

Firestorm

Finished last night. UC2 >> UC3 > UC1. What made UC2 so amazing as the perfect pacing. Unfortunately, the way UC3 was designed (my friend was telling me the setpieces were designed first with the game built around them) really seems to have messed with the flow between tension and release. The combat encounters also felt less creative and/or frustrating.

The aiming issues are overblown IMO. I adjusted very quickly the second time I sat down to play. I ended up with around a 31% headshot rate which is what I think I had in UC2 as well.

Visually the game is amazing and the settings felt more cohesive than the ones in UC2. I did not like the character model changes for Elena, Chloe, and to an extent Sully though... Looked really odd compared to the last game.

For story and dialogue, I felt UC2 had stronger banter, but UC3 had a more interesting premise. I wish Marlowe, Sully, and Drake's story was better fleshed out though. Feels like squandered potential for the last game in a trilogy.

It's still a great game, but the bar was set with Uncharted 2 and this didn't hit it.

Tutomos

Gameplay Uncharted 3 feels like it's from a PS3 launch title. I felt like I was looking at Uncharted 4 but playing Uncharted 1.

jax (old)

Banned
@ firestorm. just because there's 3 games doesn't make this a trilogy.Just because LOTR, Starwars, Scream etc made it commonplace to say the word trilogy don't make the 2nd sequel a trilogy.

@ tutomos. LOL

Firestorm

Well, unless Naughty Dog breaks off what they traditionally do, I assume this is the final game in the series. The first few chapters set this up to be the major treasure-hunting event in Drake''s life. I just feel like the relationship between the characters could have played a higher part in the story.

gdt

Firestorm said:
Well, unless Naughty Dog breaks off what they traditionally do, I assume this is the final game in the series. The first few chapters set this up to be the major treasure-hunting event in Drake''s life. I just feel like the relationship between the characters could have played a higher part in the story.

Not the last. They talked about how they still have more ideas and aren't burnt out on the series like they were with Crash and Jax.

RDreamer

Firestorm said:
Finished last night. UC2 >> UC3 > UC1. What made UC2 so amazing as the perfect pacing. Unfortunately, the way UC3 was designed (my friend was telling me the setpieces were designed first with the game built around them) really seems to have messed with the flow between tension and release. The combat encounters also felt less creative and/or frustrating.

Yeah, if you watch the bonus round stuff on game trailers they do go into how the set pieces are made first, but that was the same exact thing with 2. Those set pieces were made and thought of first, and then the game was built around them.

I don't really get how you can say the combat encounters are less creative. I can give you more frustrating, but less creative? I don't know, since a lot of the set piece design changes the way the combat encounters work, like for instance,
swimming for instance changes things up a ton.
and that's pretty creative compared to Uc2

Ricky_R

Man I decided to play chapter 12 and MY GOD.... This game might be less polished than Uncharted 2 overall, but now I understand the ambition these guys had with this game. It's fucking incredible. What a great looking area with satisfying gameplay. Aiming is not an issue at this point and I'm playing at hard.

I can't imagine what's waiting for me in the upcoming chapters. Also Chapters 10 and 11 were pretty awesome too in all aspects (with the exception of the first time you see Elena's face and later on too in some in-game cut-scenes. Fugly) . This game has picked up greatly.

So far, for me, the weakest chapters have been
The Citadel and Middle Way (It REALLY annoys that I can't walk with the damn torch

Anyway... I'm beginning to think that my rant about this game being less polished will be at the back of my mind when I'm done with it.

Also... I've been replaying all chapters trying to wait for the patch and I've been enjoying them a LOT more. A second play through might be a good idea for those who were a bit underwhelmed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Square Triangle said:
Hopeully they patch in the mysterious chapter
when Chloe goes missing because that was a terrible way to just cut off her character
Huh?
She backed out with Cutter after Syria.
I thought it was pretty clear. It made more sense than Sully's sudden "I'm to old for this shit" departure in 2.

RoboPlato said:
Huh?
She backed out with Cutter after Syria.
I thought it was pretty clear. It made more sense than Sully's sudden "I'm to old for this shit" departure in 2.
No I know that,
just hated how they finished her off, actually both of them.

RDreamer

Dammit
Twice in a row the hammer has failed to fall from its spot after killing the guy during the boat part... the part where you absolutely CANNOT kill the guy without that

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Square Triangle said:
No I know that,
just hated how they finished her off, actually both of them.
Ah, OK. I do agree with you on that. Hopefully if we get more Uncharted we'll see more of them later. Honestly, while I did think that they got swept under the rug a bit too much I'm really glad that the game focused on Nate and Sully's relationship so much, especially after Sully was pretty much absent in 2.

RDreamer said:
Dammit
Twice in a row the hammer has failed to fall from its spot after killing the guy during the boat part... the part where you absolutely CANNOT kill the guy without that
I've never used that. Two grenades, a few bullets, and done.

Raonak

Banned
Feels like squandered potential for the last game in a trilogy.

ND said many times it isn't a trilogy. Uncharted prints money, doesn't make sense just ditching it. U4 PS4 launch. believe.

also golden abyss.

RDreamer

RoboPlato said:
Ah, OK. I do agree with you on that. Hopefully if we get more Uncharted we'll see more of them later. Honestly, while I did think that they got swept under the rug a bit too much I'm really glad that the game focused on Nate and Sully's relationship so much, especially after Sully was pretty much absent in 2.

I've never used that. Two grenades, a few bullets, and done.

What? There's no way. I literally wasted that guy in the head with EVERY bullet of every gun that dropped my first game and he wouldn't go down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruceLeeRoy said:
Can one of you do me a favor and tell me if the gray in the background of the OP matches the grey of the post background.
It's a little bit brighter in the post but nothing to worry too much about.

It's ridiculous how crazy people get over the treasure in multiplayer. I just saw a guy who refused to leave the treasure chest in the museum the entire game.

Played it through on hard. Very very good game. I'm not as impressed as I was with Uncharted 2 but I enjoyed it very much.

I had a few minor glitches but nothing worth complaining about.

I wish I could play with mouse & keyboard. The aiming did seem a little wonky. I loved the sequence starting after when you are captured by the pirates up until getting on the big boat.

Why didn't they at least give Nate a decent drink of water when he found the ghost town? He was out in the desert for who knows how long and then he is back to his uberman fighting without a fucking drink?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BruceLeeRoy said:
Can one of you do me a favor and tell me if the gray in the background of the OP matches the grey of the post background.

It's slightly brighter... weren't you using pngs before?

Might be a good idea to print screen gaf into photoshop and use the eye drop tool. That's what I do when making OTs lol.

Ricky_R

Also... I can't stress enough how awesome the in-game "back and forth" dialogue and random comments are.

I have literally laughed in some of them, but so far my favourite has been
One down... Shitload to go

In game dialogue and phrases are constantly overlooked in Uncharted games, but I think it's one of the best things about the franchise. Seriously.

Augemitbutter said:
the new enemy type
djinn, were my favorite creatures from all games combined. they were fun to fight with their unique tricks, really enhanced the gameplay experience to a new level. too bad that they're so scarce.

They were cool but they were also very much like
the Houdini Splicers in Bioshock.

Top Bottom