• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Kagari said:
It's slightly brighter... weren't you using pngs before?

Might be a good idea to print screen gaf into photoshop and use the eye drop tool. That's what I do when making OTs lol.
Yeah its what I do too, unfortunately my monitor is set up for print and not web so color matching is a pain in the ass. It matches on all my comps here and my comp at home but not my laptop. Whatever

Ricky_R

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah its what I do too, unfortunately my monitor is set up for print and not web so color matching is a pain in the ass. It matches on all my comps here and my comp on home but not my laptop. Whatever

It's difficult to please all monitors in existence you know.

RDreamer

The shotgun guys are ridiculous in this game. They really really didn't take the bullet sponge thing to heart. It seems like it takes a FULL clip of the Kal on their head the entire time to even get the helmet off.

Furoba

RDreamer said:
The shotgun guys are ridiculous in this game. They really really didn't take the bullet sponge thing to heart. It seems like it takes a FULL clip of the Kal on their head the entire time to even get the helmet off.

I found revolvers -> head to be quite effective. Unlike Uncharted 2, they'll stop in their tracks for a while.

Atrus

Gold Member
RDreamer said:

I don't even shoot them.

Basically, you pick your weapon of choice for all enemies but the shield and shotgun guys because that's what you'll be using your grenades and grenade launcher on.

Worst case scenario is to use the MAG, Revolver or the TAU Sniper.

RDreamer

Atrus said:
I don't even shoot them.

Basically, you pick your weapon of choice for all enemies but the shield and shotgun guys because that's what you'll be using your grenades and grenade launcher on.

Yeah, but sometimes
The ballroom in the cruiser
you really don't get any grenades. I think there's one in that room. It's just crazy how many hits to the head the guys can take. In 1 it was like you could shoot them once or twice in the head to get the helmet off an then one more to kill 'em. Here I swear I'm pumping clips into their head. And this isn't "maybe I'm missing some" stuff. Like right into their head.

Bullet sponging is what ruins the game for me.

I think any firefight encounter should have it so it's possible to not get shot once. I don't think that's possible at all.

UC2 was a lot more fun combat wise.

Otherwise, best looking game of the lot.

Atrus said:
I don't even shoot them.

I find melee is best for the shield guys. And then I get to use it. :)

ZeroRay

I think this is the least bullet spongy of the three games.

Even on Hard, I could take enemies out in a nice burst. The armored guys go down quick if you aim for the head.

Dabookerman said:
Bullet sponging is what ruins the game for me.

I think any firefight encounter should have it so it's possible to not get shot once. I don't think that's possible at all.

UC2 was a lot more fun combat wise..
I UC2 had some bullet sponge characters. They are kinda annoying. But there is only one really really hard one . . . the big guy on the container ship. It is totally unrealistic . . . but so is most of the game.

I wish they put a little bit of exploration & skill into the platforming. The puzzles were a little on the easy side.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruceLeeRoy said:
I'm just hoping for the majority.

Alright do me a favor and check the OP again. Do the grays match?
All of them match except for the Latest Updates, App, Any Hennig, and Patch ones.

Darknessbear said:
Well good - do you like Uncharted 2? Welcome to the franchise! Why did you wait so long?

Because I just got a ps3? And yes, Uncharted 2 is unbelievable. I think I'm close to the end, and it's been one hell of a ride. Seems much more polished, better paced, better dialogue, better story,and just plain more enjoyable than UC3- at least for me. The scale is just off the charts.

Atrus

Gold Member
RDreamer said:
Yeah, but sometimes
The ballroom in the cruiser
you really don't get any grenades. I think there's one in that room. It's just crazy how many hits to the head the guys can take. In 1 it was like you could shoot them once or twice in the head to get the helmet off an then one more to kill 'em. Here I swear I'm pumping clips into their head. And this isn't "maybe I'm missing some" stuff. Like right into their head.

There's a Tau on the left of the stage but what I've done in both runs is to take in the Hammer just before this inside.

For it's ammo capacity, the tau is way too overpowered and found very frequently.

Atrus

Gold Member
speculawyer said:
I UC2 had some bullet sponge characters. They are kinda annoying. But there is only one really really hard one . . . the big guy on the container ship. It is totally unrealistic . . . but so is most of the game.

I wish they put a little bit of exploration & skill into the platforming. The puzzles were a little on the easy side.

Oddly enough on my Crushing run the guy covered in metal was pretty easy. There's a secluded spot on top and in between some cargo containers and I just chilled out there while killing off the regular guys and tossing back the grenades sent my way. He doesn't climb up and you get a nice view of his head with plenty of room to retreat safely.

It was already difficult on my Hard playthrough but I realized that nobody really touches you up there. Basically all but 1 encounter (
The last Djinn encounter
) can be solved by hunkering in one location.

RDreamer

Atrus said:
There's a Tau on the left of the stage but what I've done in both runs is to take in the Hammer just before this inside.

For it's ammo capacity, the tau is way too overpowered and found very frequently.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, but even so, it shouldn't really be so insane to try and take them out with something else. It wasn't this way in 2. I know it wasn't. Sure it was always easier to grenade or sniper them or something, but if they got pretty close to me I still knew I had a chance if I aimed for their head. In this game if those fuckers even get remotely near you you're dead (on crushing). The range on their shotgun is pretty insane and they take soooo many bullets.

I mean I'm seriously the first person to counter any bullet sponge arguments about Uncharted, since I thought the first two games were completely fine in that regard. That says something, I think.

jediyoshi

Took a screenshot of the shirt IGN gave out. Didn't realize it was Hero only ><

Jp030.jpg

Atrus said:

Theres another tau if you stealth the first guy, and another hammer if you stealth the piano guy

Atrus

Gold Member
RDreamer said:
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, but even so, it shouldn't really be so insane to try and take them out with something else. It wasn't this way in 2. I know it wasn't. Sure it was always easier to grenade or sniper them or something, but if they got pretty close to me I still knew I had a chance if I aimed for their head. In this game if those fuckers even get remotely near you you're dead (on crushing). The range on their shotgun is pretty insane and they take soooo many bullets.

I mean I'm seriously the first person to counter any bullet sponge arguments about Uncharted, since I thought the first two games were completely fine in that regard. That says something, I think.

I know what you mean. Usually we had options but not so much in this game and I think they simply didn't play test it enough and needed to meet the deadline of 1/11/11.

RDreamer said:

Almost every "tip" I've read from people on how to get past a certain sections comes down to "Shoot X, Y, Z in that order, get the power weapon, and oh man its so easy." I mean, for all the "freedom" people in this thread claim the combat arenas give you, it seems to me that they're just developing the quickest "lines" to get the best weapons to deal with enemies, specifically the armored guys. I never felt like I had to do stuff like that in Uncharted 2, not on Normal or Hard anyway. I've read that people have liked their second playthrough more than the first, but stuff like that is keeping me from replaying the campaign.

jax (old)

Banned
Ricky_R said:
Also... I can't stress enough how awesome the in-game "back and forth" dialogue and random comments are.

I have literally laughed in some of them, but so far my favourite has been
One down... Shitload to go

In game dialogue and phrases are constantly overlooked in Uncharted games, but I think it's one of the best things about the franchise. Seriously.

funniest dialogue was chloe's in co-op adventure. Chapter Borneo. Me and my mate both cracked up over the headset. Might not want to highlight that if you haven't played it. Its hilarious.

I've got a weapon. And a butt
or something like that.

This game is fucking hard, even on Normal. I swear, I've died more times in this game than I have in the entirety of U1 and U2 combined. Most of the combat encounters seem cheap as fuck, with wave after wave of enemies spawning. It doesn't help that the waves are often mixes of heavy armored dudes and normal goons. They'll typically throw in a shotgun-toting guy and a far-off rocket-carrying enemy, as well. Take cover? Shotgun guys kills me. Run for other cover? I'm picked off in the crossfire.

I mean, I'm enjoying the game, of course, but goddamn it's fucking frustrating. I was never this bad in the other games, and I'm absolutely dreading my Crushing run.

jax (old)

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Almost every "tip" I've read from people on how to get past a certain sections comes down to "Shoot X, Y, Z in that order, get the power weapon, and oh man its so easy." I mean, for all the "freedom" people in this thread claim the combat arenas give you, it seems to me that they're just developing the quickest "lines" to get the best weapons to deal with enemies, specifically the armored guys. I never felt like I had to do stuff like that in Uncharted 2, not on Normal or Hard anyway. I've read that people have liked their second playthrough more than the first, but stuff like that is keeping me from replaying the campaign.

I hardly if ever went for power weapons. Its not like you know where they sit when you first play it. I played through hard with whatever was nearest. Very often I used the AK+M9. I didn't/don't like using the FAL/GMAL. And I didn't think the game was difficult outside of the janky shooting.

Jax said:
funniest dialogue was chloe's in co-op adventure. Chapter Borneo. Me and my mate both cracked up over the headset. Might not want to highlight that if you haven't played it. Its hilarious.

I've got a weapon. And a butt
or something like that.

I believe it goes like this:

Drake: We need a rifle butt to break this box.
Chloe: I have a rifle AND a butt.

Anteater

Jack Scofield said:
This game is fucking hard, even on Normal. I swear, I've died more times in this game than I have in the entirety of U1 and U2 combined. Most of the combat encounters seem cheap as fuck, with wave after wave of enemies spawning. It doesn't help that the waves are often mixes of heavy armored dudes and normal goons. They'll typically throw in a shotgun-toting guy and a far-off rocket-carrying enemy, as well. Take cover? Shotgun guys kills me. Run for other cover? I'm picked off in the crossfire.

I mean, I'm enjoying the game, of course, but goddamn it's fucking frustrating. I was never this bad in the other games, and I'm absolutely dreading my Crushing run.

It's really just the spawns that made the first run hard, you'll probably have an easier time on crushing because you know where those waves are spawning, and knowing where all the best weapons are.

Net_Wrecker said:

There are other strategies though but knowing what weapons to use made it easier, I used blindfire, shotgun and throwing back grenades, stunning them while they toss grenades, drag them behind walls to melee them, etc, but yea the way they design the game and enemies' AI and map made it kind of restrictive, especially the "stealthing"

RDreamer

Jax said:
I hardly if ever went for power weapons. Its not like you know where they sit when you first play it. I played through hard with whatever was nearest. Very often I used the AK+M9. I didn't/don't like using the FAL/GMAL. And I didn't think the game was difficult outside of the janky shooting.

If the aiming were as good as 1 or 2, I think this could possibly be the easiest one.

Cheska

RDreamer said:
If the aiming were as good as 1 or 2, I think this could possibly be the easiest one.
I still consider this one the easiest I've played. Though after 2 other games, you learn to anticipate certain things, and my TPS skills have greatly improved over the past couple of years.

Jubs

I asked this in the community multiplayer thread, but never got an answer.

How effective is the juggernaut kickback? Can it withstand a grenade exploding at your feet? An RPG to the face? How many more bullets can it take?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
^ The second playthrough is definitely more enjoyable.

Jack Scofield said:

Uh... I thought it was easier than the first two games.

ultron87

Damn, this
ship graveyard sure is pretty. And all the vertical combat stuff makes combat actually bearable/interesting!

rhino4evr

Just finished. Quick thoughts. I loved it, but it was not as great as Uncharted 2, for a few reasons. It had nothing to do with the aiming, or combat. Really I just don't think it was as exciting as the second game was. Among Thieves felt like a non-stop roller coaster, while this felt more like a slower epic journey. I think the game was a llittle too puzzle heavy in the beginning, and a little too gun play heavy in the end. Unlike the second game that combined all the game play elements a little better.

The story kind of lost it's place, and also seemed to end too early (unlike Uncharted 2, which seemed to keep upping itself until the very end). Also their were a few story gaps that I will need to get cleared up in the spoiler thread.

Lack of single player unlocks is a real travesty for replay value. At least to someone who could care less about the multiplayer aspect.

I'd rate it a 9/10. For comparison Id rate Uncharted 2 a 10, and the original an 8. Personally I am surprised so many sites gave it a 10/10, a 8/10 seems more reasonable to me.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
im on chapter 7... does this story get interesting anytime soon? also, the shooting sucks in this game. i dont remember it being this bad in UC2.

jett

D-Member
Painraze said:
im on chapter 7... does this story get interesting anytime soon? also, the shooting sucks in this game. i dont remember it being this bad in UC2.

No, it only gets worse. Story in this game is garbage.

Lightning

Banned
Neiteio said:
Where's the cutscene viewer? And why can't I jump straight to the Yemen chase scene? :-\

Love this game, though.
I'm really pissed that Naughty Dog left that out.... what the fuck were they thinking with that... Just baffling.

Big minus to them until they put one in...

rhino4evr

Jack Scofield said:

I found that if the combat seems overly difficult, that means you need to try a different strategy. There are quite a few areas that you need to find certain weapons to help you. Also certain soilders need to be taken out first, and so forth. I wouldnt say the game is easy, but it was far from hard. Just took some trial and error in certain areas.

Neiteio

Lightning said:
I'm really pissed that Naughty Dog left that out.... what the fuck were they thinking with that... Just baffling.

Big minus to them until they put one in...
It almost looks like they intended to put a cutscene viewer in, judging by the gap in the Bonus menu, but for whatever reason took it out. Is there no cutscene viewer as some sort of perverse incentive to play through single player again? Why can't I just rewatch the cutscenes?

Any word from ND on this omission and whether a cutscene viewer can be patched in so the game is up to par with UC2?

Top Bottom