• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Anteater said:
For me that part is the entire game's low point in terms of everything, man I'm probably not going to replay those chapters again ever.

jett said:
The section in
Yemen when you get drugged
is even worse, objectively and factually the entire game's low point when it comes to graphics.

The part literally lasts about 30 seconds and it bothered you so bad you never want to replay it?
You are two upset individuals.

For the record I really liked that part. Reminded me of Max Payne. I also thought the distortion effect was really cool.

jett

D-Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
The part literally lasts about 30 seconds and it bothered you so bad you never want to replay it?

For the record I really liked that part. Reminded me of Max Payne. I also thought the distortion effect was really cool.

I never said that, but it really is a very shitty section of the game. I'd be fine with it if it looked good, but it doesn't. First time I played the game I could not wait for it to be over, it seemed like it went on forever.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah hell, I unhighlighted that. Yeah, that lasted 30 seconds at it was a pretty damn cool
3D warping effect
. I really liked it actually.

Anteater

BruceLeeRoy said:

Why? There were nothing but puzzles before and
walking through a spider scene
, and a
chase scene
right after, there really isn't any reason to keep playing for the
chase scene.
or going back to that chapter so I could hold forward through a pretty badly looking corridor.

edit: woops used spoilers instead of bold :lol

and no I'm not upset, I'm saying I just won't go back and play it, I never went back to replay the museum in uc2 because I thought it was shitty

Rickard

That whole desert chapter pissed me off.

You can't walk through the desert for three days with no fucking water. He doesn't even get a sunburn.

That scene blew my mind in 3D. On my second playthrough in 2D I thought it looked cool too.
I liked how the distortion effect led you in the direction you had to move, it wasn't just a pointless effect.

ced

Alright I finished, overall it was great, but you cannot deny this thing was rushed out the door. It just lacks polish, which is disappointing. Oh and the aiming about ruined it for me, I wish I could have just held out for a patch.

What's up with the ending?

Was anyone else really disappointed with it? I went in thinking this was the closer of a trilogy, I guess that's not the case. What happened with Chloe and Cutter? Cutter's leg is broken at the midpoint in the game, Chloe helps him out and we don't hear or see anything of them even at the end, pretty lame. I was also very disappointed in the lack of a supernatural element at the end, they could have done all kinds of cool stuff with the middle eastern mythology.

Anteater said:
Why? There were nothing but puzzles before and
walking through a spider scene
, and a
chase scene
right after, there really isn't any reason to keep playing for the
chase scene.
or going back to that chapter so I could hold forward through a pretty badly looking corridor.

edit: woops used spoilers instead of bold :lol

and no I'm not upset, I'm saying I just won't go back and play it, I never went back to replay the museum in uc2 because I thought it was shitty

Oh sorry man I missed that you had problems with the pacing of that those chapters.

jett

D-Member
Rickard said:
That whole desert chapter pissed me off.

You can't walk through the desert for three days with no fucking water. He doesn't even get a sunburn.

Yeah it really bothered me as well. I can only suspend my disbelief so much.

btw that's a spoiler and I suggest you do as I did

Rickard

jett said:
Yeah it really bothered me as well. I can only suspend my disbelief so much.

btw that's a spoiler and I suggest you do as I did

Especially considering
he fell among the wreckage of a SUPPLY DROP. Water's a supply. Instead he grabs a fucking gun.

Fucking ludicrous.

satriales

Noisepurge said:
But they did make the same joke/line in the game? spoilery:
when the whole place at the end is falling apart Nate yells to the bad guys to stop shooting and just run away instead

They also joked about it earlier on
when the cruise ship starts filling up with water and the two snipers come in, Drake says something like "you do realise this boat is sinking!"

jett said:
I never said that, but it really is a very shitty section of the game. I'd be fine with it if it looked good, but it doesn't. First time I played the game I could not wait for it to be over, it seemed like it went on forever.

Your simply pushing forward on the stick while some
trippy ass shit
is going on around you for 30 seconds. Did it make you physically nauseous? Sorry I still can't understand anything going on in that part that could elicit a strong negative or positive reaction its simply a bridge and a really short one.

cackhyena said:
Jesus. I love how this is where you guys draw the line.

They have to be joking cause if not this is the stupidest shit I have read in a long time.

jett

D-Member
cackhyena said:
Jesus. I love how this is where you guys draw the line.

LOL that's just how stupid and unbelievable it is. Amidst all the utterly ridiculous crap that goes in the game, that really was the "worst".

andycapps

Finally chiming in with my thoughts as I got the game on Sunday. Played it the past 3 nights on single player. I thought the aiming was a little wonky at first and looked online to see I wasn't the only one. I bumped up the sensitivity last night one notch and that seemed to help. Probably retry at least some of it when the patch that part, but it's definitely still playable and very fun.

Not sure of what some are complaining about with it being flat or something. The only part I've been disappointed was when they meet Elena at the airport in Yemen and they're getting into the jeep. That area is flat and pretty ugly, and only a couple of people around. I would think that the airport would be bustling. Otherwise, I've been very impressed and have enjoyed everything. Just passed the
shipyard
last night. I ran around for quite some time there, wish they'd given me a tip to show me where I was supposed to go. Eventually I just looked around and up and saw the exit.

If GAF people want to to play, my username is same as on here.

jett said:
LOL that's just how stupid and unbelievable it is. Amidst all the utterly ridiculous crap that goes in the game, that really was the "worst".

Your just being plain ridiculous now. Your just trolling us all right now aren't you?

Plus you can survive 3-4 days in the desert with no water. The only thing crazy is that he goes from that to immediately fighting 200 guys but again its just a fricken game.

Rickard said:
You ever seen lawrence of Arabia?

That guy didn't even walk. Dude rode a camel. Still looked burnt to death when he got out.

hahaha he did look like hell.

Rickard

BruceLeeRoy said:
Your just being plain ridiculous now. Your just trolling us all right now aren't you?

That guy didn't even walk. Dude rode a camel. Still looked burnt to death when he got out.

Anteater

I didn't really pay too much
attention on how many days he spent there on the desert
, I think the over the top action scenes were more unbelievable as is, but they were fun.

LiK

Rickard said:

All the falls that Drake goes through, he never breaks a bone. :)

Anteater

LiK said:
All the falls that Drake goes through, he never breaks a bone. :)

I thought that part when the dude
exploded a grenade behind him in a tight space in Syria
was pretty awesome/crazy.

Ricky_R

jett said:
The section in
Yemen when you get drugged
is even worse, objectively and factually the entire game's low point when it comes to graphics.

I actually liked that part. It could've been a couple of seconds shorter and it sure messes with replayability a bit, but I thought it was a nice touch to help with the immersion. Just like the
last part of GOW3.

jett

D-Member
Rickard said:
Especially considering
he fell among the wreckage of a SUPPLY DROP. Water's a supply. Instead he grabs a fucking gun.

Fucking ludicrous.

It's just half-baked. I mean
he didn't just fall among the wreckage of a supply drop, he literally fell hanging on one of the supply crates. I found it weird that the game didn't let us walk through the wreckage either, and try to find something on our own. Hell they could've made find Drake a canteen or something, have him sip some water every day, with water quickly going out day by day until in the final morning you're left with nothing and Drake resigns himself to death until oh surprise he finds the citadel. BTW, holy convience Batman, arriving the place you needed to be after walking aimlessly around the arabian desert for three days(and that's right after conveniently washing up on the shores of exactly where he needed to be). Nothing about this part of the game made any sense, and the random narration from Marlowe's voice actress is inexplicable.

Rickard

AND
when he finally does find water he spits it out. "Aww it;s undrinkable, not up to my standards!".

Motherfuck-

you suck from mother natures rotten teat RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

reggie said:
I thought the worst suspension of disbelief moment was when
he survived being out in the ocean and having woke up ashore back in Yemen.

That was fucking horrible. If you watch 'I shouldn't be alive' documentaries they barely make it out of it.

NewBrof

yeah, remember that part of Lawrence Of Arabia, when Lawrence crossed the desert (twice), and when he returned, there was this big gun fight he participated in, without drinking a bit of water. Well, that never happened ;)

Any word on when the patch is due out for this? I bought this game day 1 but I've decided to hold out on playing it until the patch is released.

Jme

jett said:
It's just half-baked. I mean (snipped spoiler)
Nothing about this part of the game made any sense, and the random narration from Marlowe's voice actress is inexplicable.

I thought this was stuff
going through his head due to the isolation of the desert, a conversation we didn't see while Marlowe had him hostage, or just him projecting her voice since she had just laid out his life and cast doubts on his relationships... i.e. she got in his head.
Or at least that's how I took it.

jett

D-Member
BruceLeeRoy said:

Plus you can survive 3-4 days in the desert with no water. The only thing crazy is that he goes from that to immediately fighting 200 guys but again its just a fricken game.

hahaha he did look like hell.

The temperature in the Rub' al Khali varies from 117° to 124°. You can't survive 3-4 days walking in that without any water. Just accept that it's a pretty fucking stupid part of the game.

reggie said:
I thought the worst suspension of disbelief moment was when
he survived being out in the ocean and then waking up ashore back in Yemen.

That is equally as horrible, although I reason that to rushed development/poor plot device. The part in the desert is just dumb.

Ricky_R

BruceLeeRoy said:
You guys are absolutely ridiculous.

haha yeah...

I understand that some people might have issues with that kind of stuff, but I think there's some clear overreacting here.

I'm pretty open when it comes to media though. Specially when it comes to disbelief in video games. That's never an issue for me.

BruceLeeRoy said:
You guys are absolutely ridiculous.

nah the developers are ridiculous, we're not asking for 'realism' in Uncharted lol but at least give the dude a canteen or something. It's really sloppy writing from the so-called best written franchise in gaming this gen

jax (old)

Banned
MP game comments. Oh wow. I absolutely loathe the highrise map. Its one of those god awful ones where you run around in circles unable to find anyone and the duration of the deathmatch which is normal quite fast goes on for most of the allocated time. I'm going to quit out of that map everytime I get it. just horrible.

LOL @ the flight of the movie clip. Yeah. the
desert
bit is a tad convienient. As was the
shipwrecking up @ yemen
. UC2 never really had moments that made me go "um, righhht"

jett

D-Member
Jme said:
I thought this was stuff
going through his head due to the isolation of the desert, a conversation we didn't see while Marlowe had him hostage, or just him projecting her voice since she had just laid out his life and cast doubts on his relationships... i.e. she got in his head.
Or at least that's how I took it.

Well that makes a bit of sense, but I still think it's very out of place.

Discotheque said:
nah the developers are ridiculous, we're not asking for 'realism' in Uncharted lol but at least give the dude a canteen or something. It's really sloppy writing from the so-called best written franchise in gaming this gen

Exactly, thank you.

NewBrof

its just a fricken game

please, let's take games and movies serious. suspension of disbelief is important for a game or movie to work. That's what script writers are struggling for the last 100 years of movie making. And that is important. If you don't care about suspension of disbelief, you get a lesser experience...

Jme

Jax said:
UC2 never really had moments that made me go "um, righhht"

Not even when you spent like 2 hours hopping around some 1000 year old gigantic clockwork cogs, clearly the first person there in centuries, and they still somehow magically work, and then you finally get to your destination only to find the bad guys are already there?
i'm joking

Rickard

Jax said:
UC2 never really had moments that made me go "um, righhht"

There is a scene in UC2 where a gutshot man wearing jeans and a t-shirt shoots a shitload mercenaries and then passes out flat in 20 inches of snow.

Totally fine the next day.

Ricky_R

NewBrof said:
please, let's take games and movies serious. suspension of disbelief is important for a game or movie to work. That's what script writers are struggling for the last 100 years of movie making. And that is important. If you don't care about suspension of disbelief, you get a lesser experience...

But isn't suspension of disbelief the ability to believe the unbelievable? Bruce is actually embracing that disbelief with Uncharted 3.

Right? Maybe I'm confused about what you guys are talking about.

jax (old)

Banned
Discotheque said:

well when
drake finally runs into the bad guy with the canteen in the desert village
I thought it was a missed oppoutunity there for him to actually well you know, post fight
drink some water

jett

D-Member
Rickard said:
There is a scene in UC2 where a gutshot man wearing jeans and a t-shirt shoots a shitload mercenaries and then passes out flat in 20 inches of snow.

Here's the difference, it can take hours to die from shot to your stomach, and it can be explained that adrenaline gave Drake a last rush of energy. After the soldiers are gone your movement goes to shit and you can feel he is on his last ropes. As soon as he drops to the snow he's found by Tenzin, and we assume given help immediately. Game makes a point to explain that he was in a coma for three days.

I mean, it's not realistic, but fuck at least the game gave us something.

cackhyena

Rickard said:

You forgot to mention all that climbing with the gun shot wound. Dwelling on these things in a game that's all about defying death every fucking 30 seconds is goddamn retarded.

Top Bottom