• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jett

D-Member
Neiteio said:
It almost looks like they intended to put a cutscene viewer in, judging by the gap in the Bonus menu, but for whatever reason took it out. Is there no cutscene viewer as some sort of perverse incentive to play through single player again? Why can't I just rewatch the cutscenes?

Any word from ND on this omission and whether a cutscene viewer can be patched in so the game is up to par with UC2?
For the game to be up to par with UC2 they'd have to patch in better aiming, motion blur, medals, cheat codes, 3~4 additional hours of gameplay and a story that isn't filled with plot holes and half baked ideas.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jett said:
For the game to be up to par with UC2 they'd have to patch in better aiming, motion blur, medals, cheat codes, 3~4 additional hours of gameplay and a story that isn't filled with plot holes and half baked ideas.

Lesson learned: never buy a Season Pass of any kind.

squidyj

Net_Wrecker said:
Almost every "tip" I've read from people on how to get past a certain sections comes down to "Shoot X, Y, Z in that order, get the power weapon, and oh man its so easy." I mean, for all the "freedom" people in this thread claim the combat arenas give you, it seems to me that they're just developing the quickest "lines" to get the best weapons to deal with enemies, specifically the armored guys. I never felt like I had to do stuff like that in Uncharted 2, not on Normal or Hard anyway. I've read that people have liked their second playthrough more than the first, but stuff like that is keeping me from replaying the campaign.

Wait people who are giving advice on the best way to clear an area are in fact providing the straight line that offers the shortest distance between point a and point b? What were you expecting?

Kogepan

squidyj said:
Wait people who are giving advice on the best way to clear an area are in fact providing the straight line that offers the shortest distance between point a and point b? What were you expecting?

people expecting tips to get through areas easily? why don't they just change to lower difficulty level? Its mind boggling how people who suck complain about the difficulty, but refuse to lower the difficulty to their skill level.

Anteater

Kogepan said:
people expecting tips to get through areas easily? why don't they just change to lower difficulty level? Its mind boggling how people who suck complain about the difficulty, but refuse to lower the difficulty to their skill level.

He's not talking about difficulty, he's talking about the game isn't balanced for you to tackle it in different ways since people says the game has a lot of freedom in combat and map designs, so those maps are actually easy if you do them a certain way, some weapons are overpowered for both the AI and you, and often 1 way to stealth.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jett said:

Pretty much.

Kogepan

Anteater said:
He's not talking about difficulty, he's talking about the game isn't balanced for you to tackle it in different ways since people says the game has a lot of freedom in combat and map designs, so those maps are actually easy if you do them a certain way, some weapons are overpowered for both the AI and you, and often 1 way to stealth.

like how its really hard to take out the shotgun guy by sitting behind cover completely immobile and just praying and spraying?

srsly, if people are having difficulty getting past certain sections to the point where they need to restart dozens of times, or need to go on messages boards to get 'tips' on how to progress they should lower the difficulty so that they can enjoy the game.

jett said:
I completely forgot about medals in single player.

Anteater

Kogepan said:
like how its really hard to take out the shotgun guy by sitting behind cover completely immobile and just praying and spraying?

srsly, if people are having difficulty getting past certain sections to the point where they need to restart dozens of times, or need to go on messages boards to get 'tips' on how to progress they should lower the difficulty so that they can enjoy the game.

What do you mean? The original post didn't say he wanted tips, he's talking about his observation on how in this thread people are giving out tips and saying those maps are in fact pretty easy because they all did it the same way.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So get this: I just got past the eternal fight in the ship graveyard and then arrived at the part where you're holding onto some box thing on the wall and shooting people above you, Dark Void style. I have a shield on my back because I picked it up a few minutes ago. If a single bullet hits the shield, which is on my back and sticks out from the cover when I aim, I detach from the handhold and fall and die.

I can't drop the shield, I can't jump back to a platform and then get rid of the shield. The checkpoint starts me hanging from this cover point.

This fucking game.

plainr_

hey_it's_that_dog said:
So get this: I just got past the eternal fight in the ship graveyard and then arrived at the part where you're holding onto some box thing on the wall and shooting people above you, Dark Void style. I have a shield on my back because I picked it up a few minutes ago. If a single bullet hits the shield, which is on my back and sticks out from the cover when I aim, I detach from the handhold and fall and die.

I can't drop the shield, I can't jump back to a platform and then get rid of the shield. The checkpoint starts me hanging from this cover point.

This fucking game.

I think it's a bug. Happened to me as well. Shield gets destroyed with one bullet when you restart at a checkpoint.

Tetraeon

hey_it's_that_dog said:

This fucking game.

I had that glitch too, actually. Quite annoying.

Anteater

Anyone know how the checkpoint system works in the
ship graveyard
? I went through it a couple times and I get different results :lol

From what I can tell there's a checkpoint under the ladder but I think that's suppose to be for when you've killed all the enemies? On my crushing run I killed everything and i got to the ladder, the snipers spawned and killed me and I respawn there before the snipers (with everyone dead).

On my hard run (first run) I only stealth killed 2 dudes, I ran around for a while, got a grenade launcher and nuked a boat and died, it respawned me under the ladder and everyone respawned and in alert.

Now I'm revisiting it to see why I got that weird checkpoint spawn on my first playthrough and I couldn't trigger it, it either spawns me at the beginning or if I killed a few dudes, it spawns me on a different checkpoint (some other platform near the rocket launcher), so the checkpoint under the ladder was for when you clear everyone and when the snipers spawns and there was suppose to be a checkpoint inbetween, but it didn't work that way for me when I first played it on hard.

Papercuts

hey_it's_that_dog said:

This fucking game.

My friend said he just straight up died in one hit here, without the shield. Really weird.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
question.
why are dijimon hounsou and sam rockwell in the making of if they aren't in the game at all?

jett

D-Member
erlim said:
question.
why are dijimon hounsou and sam rockwell in the making of if they aren't in the game at all?

cuz hounsou is playing eddy raja and sam rockwell's playing drake in the live action adapation!

(lol)

jett said:

When is the aiming/blur patch coming out?

Anteater said:

This. The combat encounters are designed in a way that there is almost always a "perfect run" type of line where any deviation from the line will result in problems for the player. Those runs often times involve getting your hands on the power weapons because you will get smacked up without them. That very well could've been in Uncharted 2, but I didn't feel it hovering over the design nearly as much on Normal and Hard.

"I'm having trouble _____" Oh well you just have to shoot the guy that drops the Hammer. "I'm having trouble _______" Oh, well you just have to get to _____ to get the RPG. "I'm having trouble with ________" Oh well there are Taus that make the fight super easy. It's like Naughty Dog justified their AI and enemy choices by making sure the player can always get a power weapon. Now the shootouts are stuffed with every type of enemy because a Hammer is always right around the corner if you play like "THIS."

Loudninja

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
plainr_ said:
I think it's a bug. Happened to me as well. Shield gets destroyed with one bullet when you restart at a checkpoint.

I died like 20 times, but the shield did eventually get destroyed without taking me with it. Really glad I didn't have to restart the chapter.

As annoying as some things about this game are, I have to give props to ND for making restarting after a death pretty much instantaneous (as it always is in Uncharted). I've also been playing Arkham City and that game has way too much bullshit between death and re-entering gameplay.

Anteater

I wish they did more with the
desert level, I was totally expecting some kind of downhill sliding shoot out in a sand dungeon :(

Loudninja

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I died like 20 times, but the shield did eventually get destroyed without taking me with it. Really glad I didn't have to restart the chapter.

As annoying as some things about this game are, I have to give props to ND for making restarting after a death pretty much instantaneous (as it always is in Uncharted). I've also been playing Arkham City and that game has way too much bullshit between death and re-entering gameplay.
Yeah its cool the first time but after that I got sick of getting mocked :p

legbone

Snuggler said:
Lesson learned: never buy a Season Pass of any kind.

unless it's for forza!

man, i have to disagree with the naysayers. i have heard from many of my friends that the story in this game is not as good as the second game. man, i am much more interested in this story. not sure why, it just seems that it is dialed back a little and it is for the better. i'm loving cutter as a new character and i think marlowe is the best villain of all three. just my opinion.

legbone said:
unless it's for forza!

man, i have to disagree with the naysayers. i have heard from many of my friends that the story in this game is not as good as the second game. man, i am much more interested in this story. not sure why, it just seems that it is dialed back a little and it is for the better. i'm loving cutter as a new character and i think marlowe is the best villain of all three. just my opinion.

I agree with that, it's influences are becoming a bit too on the nose though. You could literally see the last crusade and mummy 1 all over this.

But yeah the story is much better than the first two I would say, but I am disappointed that they don't do much with the desert gameplay. I was expecting something like that Spec Ops trailer a few years ago and we got nothing as cool as that in here.

ionicbluebird said:
So should I start this on normal or hard?

if you are familiar with the franchise, hard is fine. There are problems but the game is perfectly playable

If you want to take it easy the first time then normal by all means

Luthos

legbone said:
unless it's for forza!

The story was better than the others, imo.

But it's the combat encounters that bug me in UC3. Others have been nailing it, but it's about the overdose of "special" enemies with RPGs and snipers and armored dudes and brutes, and how the AI just bum rushes you all the time. Combat/encounters were better in UC2.

ZeroRay

The story kinda tapers off in the second half.

I beat the game in 9hrs 32 mins and at least 2 of those hours were filler, really fun filler but filler just for gameplay's sake.
You know, the ship graveyard and the cruise ship, then Drake magically washes up in Yemen lol.

Luthos said:
The story was better than the others, imo.

But it's the combat encounters that bug me in UC3. Others have been nailing it, but it's about the overdose of "special" enemies with RPGs and snipers and armored dudes and brutes, and how the AI just bum rushes you all the time. Combat/encounters were better in UC2.

yeah hit the nail on the head. There was stiff competition this year but I really thought this would be a top 5 game of the year for me (and I'm not even a huge uncharted fan either, but 2 was still pretty impressive) but it's most definitely not making it.

Luthos

Discotheque said:
yeah hit the nail on the head. There was stiff competition this year but I really thought this would be a top 5 game of the year for me (and I'm not even a huge uncharted fan either, but 2 was still pretty impressive) but it's most definitely not making it.
Well I'd say it's still in my top 5 of the year, maybe even top 3. But I'm not sure it'lll get my GOTY that I thought it would. Though of course, my GOTY is still up in the air until I've played Skyrim.

Raonak

Banned
Highly likely my goty. I loved the more slower pace of the game. Thought it was a good change of pace from 2.

Papercuts

I really didn't expect them to drop the ball on the combat encounters so much. As much as I dig the characters, art design, locales, etc. I just can't overlook the amount of frustration the fights gave me. UC2 was my GotY in 09 but 3 just had so much of a combat focus at the end, it'll be the lower end of my top 10 if it even makes it at all.

On the plus side I'm enjoying the MP a lot more over that subway beta.

Just finished UC2. Easily one of the best games I've played in my life, and in my opinion unquestioningly better than UC3. I don't know, it just felt like more TLC was injected into every aspect of the game, whether it be the pacing, combat, cutscenes, dialog, etc. Jesus fuck at some of the setpieces. Helicopter, train, tank battles seemed more intense and involved than anything in UC3, and the levels were all pretty massive. Also, seemed like there was a shitload more cutscenes, and everything was a notch higher. Way more 'holy shit' moments for me- even though UC3 was the 1st uncharted games I've ever played, and the 1st PS3 game I've purchased. Also, not once did I die a 'cheap death', unlike the countless in UC3 with enemies fucking you from behind. Even the fucking title screen and menu is slicker. Oh, and you can actually watch cutscenes again- where the fuck is this option in UC3? I mean, I can't imagine it would take a significant amount of time to add such a trivial feature. I can go on and on.

Also, is it just me or is UC2 quite a bit longer than UC3? I remember feeling UC3 was short, but UC2 kept going long, long after I expected it to end.

ANyway, definitely doing a 2nd play through of UC3 now that I've experienced UC2, will have more insight into the characters. But I'll wait for the path 1st.

Hmmm, some of the reactions remind me of the Jak series...

Jak 2 was unquestionably a more impressive outing than Jak 3 (Jak3 actually felt like an expansion to me)

I doubt that is the case here. Looking forward to playing this at Xmas. Witcher 2 is my current GOTY, but I can see this pipping it. Very much looking forward to Skyrim, but I found Oblivion VERY boring, so I doubt that game will impact me as much as the other two

Raonak

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Hmmm, some of the reactions remind me of the Jak series...

Jak 2 was unquestionably a more impressive outing than Jak 3 (Jak3 actually felt like an expansion to me)

I doubt that is the case here. Looking forward to playing this at Xmas. Witcher 2 is my current GOTY, but I can see this pipping it. Very much looking forward to Skyrim, but I found Oblivion VERY boring, so I doubt that game will impact me as much as the other two
What!? I thought jak 3 was slightly better than 2. Same with crash.... and uncharted :O i see a patten.

NewBrof

sometimes you have to swallow your pride, and play on easy. I am glad I did ;)
It was just the right amount of difficulty, I could enjoy the game a lot and did not have to replay sections over and over. I died a couple of times, so there still was a challenge...

NewBrof said:
sometimes you have to swallow your pride, and play on easy. I am glad I did ;)
It was just the right amount of difficulty, I could enjoy the game a lot and did not have to replay sections over and over. I died a couple of times, so there still was a challenge...

I played it on easy too. My enjoyment from games isn't derived from dying over and over. Not am I obsessed with medals, trophies, perfection nor any of that bullshit. Some people obviously have the time, interest, and lack of responsibility in order to place great importance on these things, but I'm not one of them. I have no desire to play the game on hard or 'crushing', as I can't see it being more enjoyable than frustrating.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I played it on easy too. My enjoyment from games isn't derived from dying over and over. Not am I obsessed with medals, trophies, perfection nor any of that bullshit. Some people obviously have the time, interest, and lack of responsibility in order to place great importance on these things, but I'm not one of them. I have no desire to play the game on hard or 'crushing', as I can't see it being more enjoyable than frustrating.

I'm guessing that the amount of time you logged in your game is really not much shorter than the amount of time people who beat it on Crushing logged.

So I don't think time is really relevant here, and I definitely don't see how you get off saying that these people are irresponsible just because they chose to play the game on a harder difficulty setting than you.

Raonak said:
What!? I thought jak 3 was slightly better than 2. Same with crash.... and uncharted :O i see a patten.

I just found Jak 2 to be much more epic and varied...plus the story was a lot longer and more developed. Such an awesome game. Jak 3 had far too much vehicle combat

I will be starting this on Hard, just like I have done with previous Uncharted games

Top Bottom