• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RyanardoDaVinci said:
The cover system is definitely more clunky than in U2, thanks to the new animations.

There's a reason Drake's Fortune didn't animate like this: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/34832

Because it removed too much control from the player. With U2, they hit the perfect blend of control and character animation; I never once felt I died because Drake didn't do what I pressed -- in U3 that happened more times than I can count.

It is cool to finally see the melee system from that video put to use in U3, though. Now I'll just have to hope for melee weapons in Uncharted 4.

I've been playing on crushing and I'm over halfway through now, and I've been thinking about whether the controls are really worse or not, or whether the game just demands a lot more moment-to-moment action from the player in combat scenarios.

I think if I have a complaint about the movement controls, it's not about whether they're worse than UC2, it's that they aren't better enough to support the new pace of combat. I've been having some problems with getting into the right cover, and even more problems with Drake not moving or aiming properly once he's situated there. Now that the combat basically requires that you kill certain guys ASAP to keep things manageable, it's a real problem when the game doesn't respond as it should.

Drake has always been a bit clumsy and imprecise when interacting with the environment when it's not pre-designated handholds in a climbing sequence. It just hasn't mattered before.

Philia

OKAY. THIS IS BULLSHIT. I knew this game felt rushed halfway in but they forgot to SUBTITLE this important scene! DAMN IT. I haven't unpaused this scene yet but I love to know what WAS said please! (I'm deaf.)

I'm at the very last chapter, and this is where...
Sully walking up to him like nothing happened. Nate was all confused and wasn't sure if this was Sully or not...

Ragnamith

Philia said:
OKAY. THIS IS BULLSHIT. I knew this game felt rushed halfway in but they forgot to SUBTITLE this important scene! DAMN IT. I haven't unpaused this scene yet but I love to know what WAS said please! (I'm deaf.)

Sully walking up to him like nothing happened. Nate was all confused and wasn't sure if this was Sully or not...

I'm gonna check that chapter for you, give me a minute.

Philia

THANK YOU. OMG. Gamefaqs had nothing on this and I didn't want to go to the spoiler thread JUST YET. I'm really worried that they haven't checked on this, there may be MORE subs missing. :\

Philia said:
THANK YOU. OMG. Gamefaqs had nothing on this and I didn't want to go to the spoiler thread JUST YET. I'm really worried that they haven't checked on this, there may be MORE subs missing. :\
You have to be kidding me. Thats a pretty important part too. I'm sorry man

Got Uncharted 3 two days ago and can't stop playing it. I've even stopped playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Amazing graphics, the best I've seen this generation. The aiming is a little awkward, I'll give you that, but I think I'll get used to it after playing some more.

What an amazing game.

Philia

Yeah! I know! I can tell it was that friggin important. To whoever wants to let me know the subs, feel free to PM me if you have to avoid using spoilers in here and etc. I'd appreciate it a lot. Hope you don't mind me pming you back for the rest of the subs later.

Thank god you can revisit the chapter too. Still though, this is pretty lame.

Charles

Yeah, I noticed that it wasn't subtitled (I turn on the subtitles on everything)

what happened (more or less) was
Sully tells Nate to never point a gun at him again. It turns out that the water in the fountain Nate drank from made him hallucinate all that happened in between the two cutscenes. Turns out the Djinn in the water poisoned it or whatever, and that what made Iram turn into a ghost town. Nate and Sully speculate that the water is the thing Marlowe wants from Iram. Sully wonders how can she get all the water out, but Nate realizes that she doesn't intend to get the water out, but rather the Djinn's that King Solomon put in the water.

Hope that helps

Philia said:

If you want a brief:

Nate asks sully how can he know (nate) if he's the real one. Sully just walks to him with a smile and tilts Nate weapon down, like when he was a teenager. He tells Nate to never point a gun at him again. Nate tells him about how he saw him getting shot, and the eclipse before that. Sully explained that after drinking from the fountain he went nuts (there wasn't any eclipse). "it's the water!" Then they discover the meaning of "controlling enemies through fear", with the water. And that's what made Iram population self-destruct. But sully doesn't understand how they can transport the water. "it's not the water, it's what's IN the water", Nate says. They decide to stop the evil dudes.

Ragnamith

Alright, I have to play through a part of the chapter and suddenly enemies act like I'm playing on crushing or something. Patience please.
Edit: Or you're probably filled in with what other people posted.

Sorc3r3r

I wasn't into Uncharted 2 multy, so i can't compare, but after trying this one seems pretty good, both competitive and cooperative.

Controls are smooth, and jumping around is a nice variation to the usual shooters mechanic.
The progression is fast, even if there are too many unlockables for my tastes...for now i'm enjoying it.

Philia

Charles said:
Yeah, I noticed that it wasn't subtitled (I turn on the subtitles on everything)

Hope that helps

Thanks, were there any more cut offs? I really love how as soon as the scene is over, we're back talking (subbing) like idiots.

Charles

Philia said:
Thanks, were there any more cut offs? I really love how as soon as the scene is over, we're back talking (subbing) like idiots.

Didn't notice anything else, but if there's anything else, feel free to ask.

Ricky_R

Philia said:
Yeah! I know! I can tell it was that friggin important. To whoever wants to let me know the subs, feel free to PM me if you have to avoid using spoilers in here and etc. I'd appreciate it a lot. Hope you don't mind me pming you back for the rest of the subs later.

Thank god you can revisit the chapter too. Still though, this is pretty lame.

I would prefer it here with spoiler tags, so I can check it later when I reach that part.

Philia... If somebody PM you what was said, please PM me with it. Thanks

Charles

Ricky_R said:
I would prefer it here with spoiler tags, so I can check it later when I reach that part.

Philia... If somebody PM you what was said, please PM me with it. Thanks

Blitzcloud and I both posted what happened in spoiler tags less than 10 posts above you.

Ragnamith

spoiler vid:(with subs)
Atleast this is the scene I think you meant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2f07V75iS4&t=3m35s

the thread just took a dramatic turn due to a clueless comment.

Well, at least I guess you don't care about multiplayer skins and if they do grunts when climbing or not (skelzor and other models didn't have sounds, so they had tactical advantage)

wow, the multiplayer is deeeeep. I'm at level 34 now and I barely found the menu section where you can buy objectives. Like spend 3,000 to unlock a certain objective that will get you 9,000 once its complete. How many levels can you go up and is there like a "prestige" type option to start all over with?

Finalow

wtf? I change the language from the options, then i quit and when i restart all the options are back to the default ones.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
wow, the multiplayer is deeeeep. I'm at level 34 now and I barely found the menu section where you can buy objectives. Like spend 3,000 to unlock a certain objective that will get you 9,000 once its complete. How many levels can you go up and is there like a "prestige" type option to start all over with?

Yes to Prestige.

I've stopped for now, but it's still pretty fun.

Hey Philia,

Any games you played with facial animations good enough so you can read lips? I wondered that playing through LA Noire.

(I'm assuming most deaf people read lips, if not sorry for my ignorance)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm not doing the Legacy shit. You lose everything. Fuck that. I'm happy keeping all my leveled up boosters and money, thank you very much!

finalozzo said:
when? Level 60? 70?
Level 75. It'll appear on your records tab when you access it.

Philia

Puppet Shadow said:
Hey Philia,

Any games you played with facial animations good enough so you can read lips? I wondered that playing through LA Noire.

(I'm assuming most deaf people read lips, if not sorry for my ignorance)

There's very few. LA Noire make an exception. Heavy Rain was good but not as much. And mind you, its usually the expression that tells it all more than the lips/tongue. Like a tone of a conversation says it all, don't you think? I don't play a whole lot of semi realistic games to evn look for attempts at lipreading.

I'll tell you this right now though, I'm playing Assassin's Creed right now and its very offensive that Ubisoft haven't subbed it (thank god they wised up for the rest of the series) and even worse when the lead is always in front of the camera. You don't ever see his whole face and his hood covering his face would make it very much harder too.

Not only that, you have facial and/or hair obscuring some parts of the expression too sometimes.

Anyway besides that, I'm enjoying Assassin's Creed anyway. :D There's a nifty transcript on gamefaqs. I've beaten Resident Evil 4 with a transcript.

Monarch

Banned
I'd really like to see a post-mortem talk down the line for this one, by ND of course. To see if they agree with some criticisms made by some reviews out there (mostly about linearity).
While I think the game is still very very good, it just lacks the level of polish U2 had, graphically and story wise. Not to mention the removal of SP unlockables. I feel that U3 has pushed the dogs a bit too much and I want to see them talk about it if any of my assumptions are true.

megamerican

Just finished it. Probably the best game to have ever underwhelmed me. I think the controls are the worst of the series. I also thought the story was going to go somewhere new, only for it to quickly resolve itself very similarly to Uncharted 2.

It's a great game, but my least favorite of the series.

Cudder

Philia said:
There's very few. LA Noire make an exception. Heavy Rain was good but not as much. And mind you, its usually the expression that tells it all more than the lips/tongue. Like a tone of a conversation says it all, don't you think? I don't play a whole lot of semi realistic games to evn look for attempts at lipreading.

I'll tell you this right now though, I'm playing Assassin's Creed right now and its very offensive that Ubisoft haven't subbed it (thank god they wised up for the rest of the series) and even worse when the lead is always in front of the camera. You don't ever see his whole face and his hood covering his face would make it very much harder too.

Not only that, you have facial and/or hair obscuring some parts of the expression too sometimes.

Anyway besides that, I'm enjoying Assassin's Creed anyway. :D There's a nifty transcript on gamefaqs. I've beaten Resident Evil 4 with a transcript.
Kudos, man. I'm glad you still get to enjoy the games you wanna play! :)

Sullichin

Monarch said:
I'd really like to see a post-mortem talk down the line for this one, by ND of course. To see if they agree with some criticisms made by some reviews out there (mostly about linearity).
While I think the game is still very very good, it just lacks the level of polish U2 had, graphically and story wise. Not to mention the removal of SP unlockables. I feel that U3 has pushed the dogs a bit too much and I want to see them talk about it if any of my assumptions are true.

How can you say that it has less polish graphically? It definitely looks better than U2...

also.. there are plenty of linear games out there. uncharted has always been a directed, linear experience, why would you expect anything else going into 3?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ricky_R said:
It's actually a placebo patch that fixed the aiming issue for some.
The aiming issues have held me back from playing my copy. People made them out to be quite serious. Has there not been an actual patch for it?

Sullichin

A Human Becoming said:
The aiming issues have held me back from playing my copy. People made them out to be quite serious. Has there not been an actual patch for it?

not yet. have you even tried playing the game to see if it bothers you? lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Philia said:
There's very few. LA Noire make an exception. Heavy Rain was good but not as much. And mind you, its usually the expression that tells it all more than the lips/tongue.
This is very interesting / curious to read. For me, just by looking at it, the facial animation in Heavy Rain was miles worse than in Uncharted 3. But you're saying that you could read their lips/faces easier than in UC3?

A Human Becoming said:
Naw, I don't mind waiting since I'm playing other games right now.

The aiming issues are also not an issue at all to a huge number of people. Kind of silly to wait because of something that you're not even sure if it will bother you.

Just hit Chapter 21 and I'm just fed up with the BS gun battles with 100% accurate RPG guys, tons of laser sights and guys flanking you while you have to fight the slushy controls that weren't in the last game. Game doesn't hold the jock of Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog obviously reached for the "cinematic" angle over the "fun and engaging gameplay scenarios" angle. The
ship graveyard + cruise liner was the only thing that actually resembled U2's genius

Sullichin

A Human Becoming said:
Naw, I don't mind waiting since I'm playing other games right now.

true, there's tons of great games out right now. but I'm just suggesting to try it yourself before conceding that the aiming sucks based on someone else's opinion. I think it's fine. Different than the co-op/multiplayer, for sure, but I really didn't have a problem with it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A Human Becoming said:

arne says patch info coming by the end of the week or so.

Philia

Lord Error said:
This is very interesting / curious to read. For me, just by looking at it, the facial animation in Heavy Rain was miles worse than in Uncharted 3. But you're saying that you could read their lips/faces easier than in UC3?

OH NO, Heavy Rain in comparison to LA Noire and no its not better than UC3 at all. UC3 is decent.

Top Bottom