• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Just finished UC2. Easily one of the best games I've played in my life, and in my opinion unquestioningly better than UC3. I don't know, it just felt like more TLC was injected into every aspect of the game, whether it be the pacing, combat, cutscenes, dialog, etc. Jesus fuck at some of the setpieces. Helicopter, train, tank battles seemed more intense and involved than anything in UC3, and the levels were all pretty massive. Also, seemed like there was a shitload more cutscenes, and everything was a notch higher. Way more 'holy shit' moments for me- even though UC3 was the 1st uncharted games I've ever played, and the 1st PS3 game I've purchased. Also, not once did I die a 'cheap death', unlike the countless in UC3 with enemies fucking you from behind. Even the fucking title screen and menu is slicker. Oh, and you can actually watch cutscenes again- where the fuck is this option in UC3? I mean, I can't imagine it would take a significant amount of time to add such a trivial feature. I can go on and on.

Also, is it just me or is UC2 quite a bit longer than UC3? I remember feeling UC3 was short, but UC2 kept going long, long after I expected it to end.

ANyway, definitely doing a 2nd play through of UC3 now that I've experienced UC2, will have more insight into the characters. But I'll wait for the path 1st.

In my experience, Uncharted 3 sits in the middle in regard to game length: Drake's Fortune is ~8 hours, Among Thieves ~11 hours, and Drake's Deception ~9 hours.

Edit: Naughty Dog may be incorporating a cutscene viewer into Drake's Deception by way of a patch. Presumably, if this is to happen, it'll be included in the same update intended to re-enable motion blur and correct the aiming system.

Firestorm

Oh man I just saw this and it's exactly what I thought sooo many goddamn times in this game:

i-9GDbnt2-XL.jpg

Firestorm said:
Oh man I just saw this and it's exactly what I thought sooo many goddamn times in this game:

i-9GDbnt2-XL.jpg
I SERIOUSLY wish they would justify this in-universe. It bothers the shit out of me, that shit is collapsing/falling apart and mofos STILL try to actively kill you.

TacticalFox88 said:
I SERIOUSLY wish they would justify this in-universe. It bothers the shit out of me, that shit is collapsing/falling apart and mofos STILL try to actively kill you.
For the longest time, I assumed
there was some degree of mind control or magic going on, but they never really justified this theory.

MEATER

Finished the game on Monday. Gotta say I was quite disappointed...

The combat just felt repetitive to me. I really had to force myself to play through any large area filled with enemies.

To me it felt like they tried to copy Arkham Asylum with the hand to hand combat and the option to use stealth and just didn't get to the same level of polish.

Whenever you botch up stealth EVERYONE just comes at you. Why?! If you do stealth then give the player a chance to get back to cover!

It's still a very good game. The writing is superawsome even. But out of the three I enjoyed 1 and 2 far more!

Maybe my expectations where too high since 2 just blew me away and I expected 3 to become even better.

Raonak

Banned
MEATER said:
Maybe my expectations where too high since 2 just blew me away and I expected 3 to become even better.

Thats proably the reason some people didn't like it as much as they did. Which is why people say they like it better on the second playthough.
They had the same 2 year cycle as uncharted 2. so it was unlikely to be a huge improvement;
I liked U3 just a nudge above U2.

Im expecting the same thing out of the dark knight rises.

U4 = 3 year dev cycle + PS4 launch game.

EDIT: At PennyArcade comic.
Yep, was thinking the exact same thing during the fire! My conclusion. It's a tough climate for jobs at the moment, people are trying their hardest to impress their employers.

Firestorm said:

i-9GDbnt2-XL.jpg
Well that was posted several pages back and my reply was
mind control and/or fear as a weapon.

Look at how they got to
Cutter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Well that was posted several pages back and my reply was
mind control and/or fear as a weapon.

Look at how they got to
Cutter.

Cutter was pretty obviously messed up by it, these guys in the burning building were acting just like every other enemy. You also get dumbasses shooting at you in the sinking ship, when Ramses is the main guy over them.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I'm finding the encounter design in Uncharted 3 incredibly uninspiring to the point of being, well, rather depressing. Regular dudes > armour dudes > snipers > big guy you have to punch. That encounter appears with alarming regularity with only the backdrops changing. I never even noticed anything of the sort in 2 despite the same elements being present (sans big dude you have to punch). Maybe I'm more jaded now, but it just seems so... so... half hearted, not at all what I expect from Naughty Dog and it's killing any bit of enjoyment I might otherwise be getting out of the game.

Makes me sad.

Thrakier

jett said:
I really made a mistake buying that fortune's pack thing, I'm already fed up with the multiplayer. :|

Woah, you're like a girl. Yesterday you loved it, today you are hating it, tomorrow ???, day after tomorrow pregnant.

NeoUltima

TacticalFox88 said:
It's a video game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
For the longest time, I assumed
there was some degree of mind control or magic going on, but they never really justified this theory.
Actually the real reason is
Marlowe only hires goons who are terminally ill.

So um...I've run into an issue here. I've gotten to a point in chapter 12 and can't advance. It's in the middle of the platforming section after the second gun battle area. More specifically it's right after Drake's line "Ah back on solid land...uh...boat." The camera pans out and I'm supposed to climb down and make my way across the ship's ribs but the game won't let me jump from the first rib to the next. I didn't have this issue during my first two playthroughs. It's pissing me off too because my last treasure is beyond this point!

TacticalFox88 said:

But they did make the same joke/line in the game? spoilery:
when the whole place at the end is falling apart Nate yells to the bad guys to stop shooting and just run away instead

Just wrapped up the campaign. Pretty good, although there were still too many sections where you just get wave after wave of enemies. And the control issues didn't help.

Really looking forward to getting into the multiplayer.

Madrical

Banned
I really want to like the multiplayer, the maps seem cool but either a) I'm terrible b) It's super laggy or c) people take forever to die. There's a few things that really bug me, like basically being able to see everyone hiding in cover since their name is floating above where they're hiding. And what's the deal with the recoil? It's quite odd. I haven't been keeping up with the MP or even the beta, wasn't it considered worse than U2? Why, exactly?

Sinthetic

UC2 and 3 are amazing, there's not much in it for me, they sit back to back perfectly. But UC3 was the better game if I had to call it.

Raonak

Banned
Madrical said:
I really want to like the multiplayer, the maps seem cool but either a) I'm terrible b) It's super laggy or c) people take forever to die. ?

I haven't noticed any lag; but i find it hard to track enemies that are running.

Some people complained about too much health in U2. ND lowered health. major uproar.
game wasn't the same since...
I like the fact you aren't instantly dead when you're being shot at; you have the oppotinuity to run, or even counterattack with a grenade or something.

r.gun

Neo Member
TacticalFox88 said:

The way I see it, they figure a few good shots to take out Drake then they can leave the building without having to worry about him popping up and shooting them.

Leckan

Reading some of these impressions it's funny looking back at the 8/10 debacle. There seems to be some dissapointment overall even though it's still a good game obviously. I know it's not necessarily the same people but still, the point remains.

It's like clockwork, happens every time there's a huge outrage pre-release of some 'AAA' game and then a while after release when the hype has cooled down a bit more and more people start to have complaints about the game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
r.gun said:
The way I see it, they figure a few good shots to take out Drake then they can leave the building without having to worry about him popping up and shooting them.
You have a point about Drake being the bigger threat to their safety.

Gyrian

Great games last night with Uncharted GAF!
We tried Plunder, and it was some of the best I've seen in U3 so far.
Never got a kill farming team on the other end.

Kind of annoying how a full party gets sent to villains every time.
We basically played heroes only once all night, and it was when we lost joe to the other team thanks to an auto-balance split.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I do think the combat is a bit better in crushing with the button prompts turned off. I look forward to the inevitable UC4 where they just copy Batman wholesale, because, hey, that's a damn solid fighting system and makes a lot more sense for a character like Nathan Drake to be using versus mercilessly shooting dudes.

Interfectum

Getting further in this game... there really are some aiming issues with this game. Either that or a suck at Uncharted now. I'm to the point where I dread firefights.

Jme

Near end game (Chapter 21) spoiler question
Is there any way to turn OFF that visual effect of being drugged after Talbot throws that canister at you? It gave me such a fucking headache to finish that chapter that I almost don't want to do a crushing re-play

MEATER

Raonak said:
Which is why people say they like it better on the second playthough.
They had the same 2 year cycle as uncharted 2. so it was unlikely to be a huge improvement;

I'll have to replay U1 and U2. I'll probably be amazed at how bad U1 actually was :D

Maybe my impression also comes from finishing Arkham Asylum just a week before I started playing U3. U2 just didn't have that much focus on fistfights and stealth iirc.

LiK

Jme said:
Is there any way to turn OFF that visual effect of being drugged after Talbot throws that canister at you? It gave me such a fucking headache to finish that chapter that I almost don't want to do a crushing re-play
No visual effects options. Guess it works in real life for you!

After playing almost 48 hours of multiplayer, going back to single player on Crushing is frustrating as hell because of the aiming issues. Combine that with bullet sponge balaclava guys and armored shotgun guys, the game is a little too much. Problem is that I fucking love Uncharted (platinum on both UC1 and 2) and I want to complete this game but I'm fighting the game mechanics here.

Also, an option to have the aim dot on in the single player would really help – nothing is worse than not knowing where your aiming reticle is going be and you go in for some shots and waste all of your ammo because the jumpy sensitivity causing you to miss all of your shots. Ugh… it sucks man.

Jme said:

Shit, I want a cheat mode to turn it on all the time baby :)

jett

D-Member
Jme said:

Nope.
I agree 100% with you, a truly terrible idea. A "what was ND thinking" moment. It doesn't even look cool, it looks like shit.

Interfectum

how did UC3 get perfect scores with the aiming system the way it is? christ. makes that 8/10 eurogamer fiasco seem that much more absurd.

jett said:
Nope.
I agree 100% with you, a truly terrible idea. A "what was ND thinking" moment. It doesn't even look cool, it looks like shit.

Honestly you suit your usertag well. I mean, sure it may not be the best way, but it sure was a way to say
"youre trippin balls"

Near endgame spoilers:
And i thought it was a great way of showing that the greatest fear of Drake was Sully dying (because of him). Also his second greatest fear is a betrayal between them (sully pointing a gun at him when having a teenager flashback).

Also, haven't found this song on the soundtrack. anyone did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AFzx2Tf9-8&feature=player_detailpage#t=631s

Just finished it, some of the stuff like the plane, the ship and the very last chapter are just full on bonkers.
The combat fucked me off endlessy with the asshole "fat guys" coming at me with shotguns while being assualted on every possible level my goons/snipers and so on.

jett

D-Member
blitzcloud said:
Honestly you suit your usertag well. I mean, sure it may not be the best way, but it sure was a way to say
"youre trippin balls"

Near endgame spoilers:
And i thought it was a great way of showing that the greatest fear of Drake was Sully dying (because of him). Also his second greatest fear is a betrayal between them (sully pointing a gun at him when having a teenager flashback).

Also, haven't found this song on the soundtrack. anyone did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AFzx2Tf9-8&feature=player_detailpage#t=631s

I'm only talking about the visual effect, which really looks awful and distracting. It's just flat out ugly, it completely ruins the work of ND's artists for that part of the game. The section in
Yemen when you get drugged
is even worse, objectively and factually the entire game's low point when it comes to graphics.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jett, wth man. Yemen is by far the best looking part of the game so far! I don't want to reveal your spoilers, but I'm at Ch 12 now so I think I've gone through Yemen, it looked absolutely glorious from the moment you get there until you're done.

Interfectum said:
how did UC3 get perfect scores with the aiming system the way it is? christ. makes that 8/10 eurogamer fiasco seem that much more absurd.
I honestly can't say I'm having any problems shooting at anything in the game, even though I really disliked how the aiming works, especially with the first gun you get in the game. I don't know what it is, is it the auto aim, is it that I've adjusted, is it that most other weapons aim better than that first one... but I'm sure a lot of people didn't mind / didn't care even initially. For what it's worth I still dislike how the aiming works, but when there's firefight to be had, my shooting performance is not any worse than I feel it should be :\

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
Jett, wth man. Yemen is by far the best looking part of the game so far! I don't want to reveal your spoilers, but I'm at Ch 12 now so I think I've gone through Yemen, it looked absolutely glorious from the moment you get there until you're done.

I honestly can't say I'm having any problems shooting at anything in the game, even though I really disliked how the aiming works, especially with the first gun you get in the game. I don't know what it is, is it the auto aim, is it that I've adjusted, is it that most other weapons aim better than that first one... but I'm sure a lot of people didn't mind / didn't care even initially.

ah nevermind, better not highlight my spoilers

Wickwire

jett said:
I'm only talking about the visual effect, which really looks awful and distracting. It's just flat out ugly, it completely ruins the work of ND's artists for that part of the game. The section in
is even worse, objectively and factually the entire game's low point when it comes to graphics.

I loved both these scenes. Two of my favorite. to each their own. If it made me sick Id probably have a different opinion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gdt5016 said:
Haha. Patch didn't affect aiming at all, it was just a 3D patch.
This is true, that's what they reported, but you have to wonder if this aiming thing is the kind of stuff that they would just silently roll in...

Anteater

jett said:

For me that part is the entire game's low point in terms of everything, man I'm probably not going to replay those chapters again ever.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man, I really hope you guys are not talking about Ch10 and 11 because that makes me weep for humanity :( I see that Jett has changed one of his spoiler tags now that used to say just "Yemen", now it's something longer.

Top Bottom