• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Dibbz

I've taken some pictures of some locations in U3's single player. Would anyone mind if I posted them?

I'd understand if people don't want to be spoiled on the game environments until they play it themselves.

Mifune

Mehmber
Fine Ham Abounds said:
For right now, I'm not even going to get into how bizarre the idea is that you could die in a flashback of your own life.

Ha! At first I was tempted to say you're overthinking it, but then I remembered how other games actually dealt with this dying-in-a-flashback conundrum; AC does the whole De-Syncing animus thingamaroo, and Prince of Persia did the "No, that's not how it happened" dialogue.

Anyway, I think the idea with UC3 is that you're not supposed to die in those sequences. Drake's death is a fiction-breaking moment (like it is in the rest of the game really) and is not really part of the narrative. That's just you as the player fucking up. Drake goes on killing and leaping and punching for the rest of his life.

Zoibie

Dibbz said:
I've taken some pictures of some locations in U3's single player. Would anyone mind if I posted them?

I'd understand if people don't want to be spoiled on the game environments until they play it themselves.

Link to them.

I wanted to bump the reviews thread but I figure this would be probably a better place for this. While I was playing UC3 last night (I'm at around Chapter 10), I was thinking about the Eurogamer review as well as Arne's call on how to better improve this game while maintaining the cinematic feel. I came to the realization that one way to really give the player a sense of freedom while maintaining the linear cinematic feel is to really beef up the stealth aspect of the game. As it currently stands, stealth is binary in that once discovered by one person, everyone in the area automatically starts shooting at you no matter where they are. The addition of an investigatory phase as well as a heavier emphasis on stealth with platforming mechanics (thus using a strength of the game to make stealth feel unique) would give players the choice to sneak by areas or even clear the room quietly. As an aside, this would also go a long way in addressing "Drake the mass murderer" complaint as well since it can be explained that stealth takedowns are nonlethal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fine Ham Abounds said:
So what you're saying is, all games deserve criticism, but not equally?

I don't think so, I think what he's saying is that you should try and engage with games on their level, and not overanalyze stuff to the point where you are erecting barriers that block you off from the entertainment.

The worst offenders are people who obsess over pixel counting and the minutia of image quality, because its just self defeating and utterly, utterly pointless. Based on those criteria no games made past a few years ago are any good, because they are all SD and low-framerate and full of jaggies and blocky textures.

People enjoyed these games just fine, because they were focussing on enjoying the actual experience and not being constantly distracted by making petty point-scoring comparisons.

Colorizing Citizen Kane and upscaling it up to HD does not make it more of a classic than it was in the first place! Yet these sort of specious arguments would have us believe that its a cardinal sin not to have state of the art image-quality.

There are no awards for acuity at finding flaws. Its a joyless exercise because ultimately these things are entertainments, not exam papers/coursework that exist solely to be judged.

Embrace the stuff you like. What you don't like should factor into your choices for future entertainment. Don't like linear story-telling, maybe Uncharted isn't the series for you because that's always going to be a dominant feature in the design. That isn't to say that Uncharted is "bad", its just the way its makers have chosen.

Dibbz

Zoibie said:
Link to them.
Spoilers, so click if you have finished the game or just want to look at some hot environments.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6213/6320564066_c08f4b388f_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6213/6332167023_591f956c71_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6102/6332171597_eb3644503f_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6046/6332167017_14e13a969a_b.jpg

They are off screen but it's the best I can do. Uncharted 3 is probably the most beautiful game on a console. It's unbelievable what they got in U3.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finished last night. Overall, I think Uncharted 2 remains the best of the series. When it comes to story and set pieces, they're pretty much equal, but the supporting cast (aside from Sully) were underutilized . I adjusted to the aiming, but it was still problematic at times, and the new melee system was a downgrade. Fist fights were a bit clunky and dragged on too long. My biggest complaint is the lack of single player unlockables. I understand that Naughty Dog couldn't get them to work, but that doesn't stop it from being disappointing. Because of that alone, I don't have much desire to replay the story any time soon.

It's not the best of the series, but it's still a worthy sequel to one of the best games this gen. Even with the aiming issues, the combat encounters were a lot of fun. Some of the them had more open 'arenas', which encouraged verticality and flightiness over pop-and-stop cover tactics. The platforming was as mindless as ever, but there were some pretty awesome segments like
hanging from the cargo plane
. And of course the production values were insane, the visuals and OST were Naughty Dog good™.

A tad disappointing coming from UC2, but a great game in it's own right. Now it's time for Naughty Dog to pass the torch and get to work on their new IP for the PS4!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Loudninja said:
So I guess people are forgetting that this is a game?

Meaning what? That its flaws should be overlooked while its merits should be praised?

When someone effusively praises the setpieces or writing or says their mind was blown, how come you don't chime in with "it's just a game"?

Gyrian

With the 3 'first' skin packs covering essentially the entire series cast, what else (and how much?) could they hope to release?
PS heroes pack? Character attachment packs?

The season pass would have felt better if it covered all upcoming DLC (not much of a longshot, with its price tag), or at least had been very clear in its content from the start.
I certainly didn't expect my 3 skin packs day one.

Loudninja

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Meaning what? That its flaws should be overlooked while its merits should be praised?

When someone effusively praises the setpieces or writing or says their mind was blown, how come you don't chime in with "it's just a game"?
Ah no thats not what I meant at all.

I saying people are trying to put logic into a video game, how is he dieing in a flash back a flaw?

What kind of TV do you have, Dibbz?

The chateau was a great level before the shoot out. I was imagining myself being in that old crepid mansion with the warm sunlight beaming at my face.

EDIT-I think my problem with UC3 is that there are too many scenes in the game where you just walk and run around, like the
desert, young Nate, and the dream-like sequence with Nate running, chasing after the bad guy
. I don't mind taking in the visuals, but it kinda detracts from the gameplay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gyrian said:
With the 3 'first' skin packs covering essentially the entire series cast, what else (and how much?) could they hope to release?
PS heroes pack? Character attachment packs?

The season pass would have felt better if it covered all upcoming DLC (not much of a longshot, with its price tag), or at least had been very clear in its content from the start.
I certainly didn't expect my 3 skin packs day one.

Well, UC2 had a lot of stuff like Helghasts, Cole, etc. I didn't even expect NOT being able to play as UC2 skins here until I saw the shopping carts by all the (on disc) models.

Darkkn

Papercuts said:
Well, UC2 had a lot of stuff like Helghasts, Cole, etc. I didn't even expect NOT being able to play as UC2 skins here until I saw the shopping carts by all the (on disc) models.
I hope they don't add characters outside UC universe. Playing UC2 now with everyone playing as a non-UC character just cheapens the experience for some reason...

Gyrian

Papercuts said:

Something strange to try is LAN mode MP, because it has most content unlocked.
It lets you preview all character attachments, unique weapons, and even has at least one entry currently not in the list: the Killzone capture trooper.

Darkkn said:
I hope they don't add characters outside UC universe. Playing UC2 now with everyone playing as a non-UC character just cheapens the experience for some reason...

That's basically a given at this point, though.
Guest characters are neat, but I agree with you that a lot of the charm goes away when everyone out there is a skeleton or Cole.

Papercuts

Darkkn said:

I never saw them much, did they actually have voice clips and everything?

Snuggler said:
A tad disappointing coming from UC2, but a great game in it's own right. Now it's time for Naughty Dog to pass the torch and get to work on their new IP for the PS4!

I'm not convinced at all that Naughty Dog is moving on from this IP. In fact, I'm not even sure this is the final Uncharted on the PS3. I still think it's possible we could see Uncharted 4 in the fall of 2013.

Gyrian

Papercuts said:
I never saw them much, did they actually have voice clips and everything?

No voice samples for the guest characters. Between them and the skeletons, it made for some very quiet games.
The banter is one of the things that I like the most about the MP component. :|

Dibbz

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What kind of TV do you have, Dibbz?
Some Samsung. Can't get to the back of it so can't see the model number. It helps that I have calibrated the colours myself and it supports 1080p although taking pics with a camera kinda detracts a bit :(

C_H_T

Jason's Ultimatum said:
EDIT-I think my problem with UC3 is that there are too many scenes in the game where you just walk and run around, like the
desert, young Nate, and the dream-like sequence with Nate running, chasing after the bad guy
. I don't mind taking in the visuals, but it kinda detracts from the gameplay.

I agree, also with the spiders. Furthermore too many brawls. These 2 are my only complaints about the game.

Papercuts

Gyrian said:
No voice samples for the guest characters. Between them and the skeletons, it made for some very quiet games.
The banter is one of the things that I like the most about the MP component. :|

Laaame. Guessing the footsteps atleast made sound unlike the skeletons. :p

Are you able to get costume attachments for the purchasable skins?

Mifune said:
Ha! At first I was tempted to say you're overthinking it, but then I remembered how other games actually dealt with this dying-in-a-flashback conundrum; AC does the whole De-Syncing animus thingamaroo, and Prince of Persia did the "No, that's not how it happened" dialogue.

Anyway, I think the idea with UC3 is that you're not supposed to die in those sequences. Drake's death is a fiction-breaking moment (like it is in the rest of the game really) and is not really part of the narrative. That's just you as the player fucking up. Drake goes on killing and leaping and punching for the rest of his life.
Yeah, I actually like the way AC handles it.

I'm seriously not trying to be ridiculous here or to troll, this is just the kind of thing I think of while playing and trying to buy into a game's world. You've basically articulated better than I would have specifically why I didn't want to get into this one issue. I think Arne even mentioned specifically in one of these threads that the game wants you to win, so to speak.

Clear said:
I don't think so, I think what he's saying is that you should try and engage with games on their level, and not overanalyze stuff to the point where you are erecting barriers that block you off from the entertainment.

The worst offenders are people who obsess over pixel counting and the minutia of image quality, because its just self defeating and utterly, utterly pointless. Based on those criteria no games made past a few years ago are any good, because they are all SD and low-framerate and full of jaggies and blocky textures.

People enjoyed these games just fine, because they were focussing on enjoying the actual experience and not being constantly distracted by making petty point-scoring comparisons.

Colorizing Citizen Kane and upscaling it up to HD does not make it more of a classic than it was in the first place! Yet these sort of specious arguments would have us believe that its a cardinal sin not to have state of the art image-quality.

There are no awards for acuity at finding flaws. Its a joyless exercise because ultimately these things are entertainments, not exam papers/coursework that exist solely to be judged.

Embrace the stuff you like. What you don't like should factor into your choices for future entertainment. Don't like linear story-telling, maybe Uncharted isn't the series for you because that's always going to be a dominant feature in the design. That isn't to say that Uncharted is "bad", its just the way its makers have chosen.

See above. I'm not putting the controller down for 5 minutes here, trying to jot down everything I hate about something. I'm not trying to engage the game in any way but on it's own level. These are the things I think of while playing, only moreso if something in-game breaks my immersion.

I'm not someone who usually cares very much about texture pop-in or FPS or any other particularly technical quality that is important to many people. I sure as hell don't find noticing problems more fun than just experiencing games. According to statistics, I've spent an hour and 30 minutes just standing around in UC3 just admiring the scenery. I've never said once that the game was "bad", anyone who actually read my initial impressions would see that they were predominantly very positive.

The problems I'm having with this game are largely in the story and in some of the ways in which that narrative is presented. This might be nitpicking in a Mega Man game, but this isn't a Mega Man game, this is a game whose very nature and justification for its existence is intimately intertwined with its narrative presentation. These are problems, frankly minor in how they have affected my enjoyment, that are fundamentally on the game's level.

Gyrian

Papercuts said:
Laaame. Guessing the footsteps atleast made sound unlike the skeletons. :p

Are you able to get costume attachments for the purchasable skins?

None of the DLC characters have attachment slots. :|
I was surprised that they doubled characters instead of making the outfits attachments. Why Nepal Chloe, rather than Nepal shirt on Chloe?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Darkkn said:
The game already has some Killzone DLC skins (ISA helmet for the custom hero, Helghast helmet for the custom villain, and the Capture Tropper) so I'm pretty sure they plan on selling some guest skins/paperdoll pieces.

jett

D-Member
Gyrian said:
None of the DLC characters have attachment slots. :|
I was surprised that they doubled characters instead of making the outfits attachments. Why Nepal Chloe, rather than Nepal shirt on Chloe?

For maximum ripoff

Fine Ham Abounds said:
So what you're saying is, all games deserve criticism, but not equally?
Criticize away, any game you want. I even had a lot of criticisms for U3. Just nitpicking ANYTHING is obnoxious. Especially when you hear it for a week straight. And since U3 is so close to replicating reality and film, the tiny things stand out more and we got to hear about them constantly.

Clear said:

Holy balls this is what I meant, but with greatly improved writing and coherence. I'm stealing this...

But I'm a hypocrite. I nitpicked to hell the chase scene with
Talbot
because it was missing like 80% of the sound effects it should have and the music was wimpy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The customization options for the MP are so limited. It's almost like they're holding back on purpose with the limited options you have. ND could have done a better...WAY better job with it. After all, they were strongly focusing on the MP this time around compared to Uncharted 2. The Fortune Hunters pack is still a massive fucking rip off.

Gyrian said:
That's basically a given at this point, though.
Guest characters are neat, but I agree with you that a lot of the charm goes away when everyone out there is a skeleton or Cole.
Agree. Outside universe character outfits would be more beneficial. Like, Cole's shirt (instead of Cole) and a skeleton mask (instead of a skeleton). That sort of deal would seem more appropriate in this universe.

Am I the only one who hopes that Naughty dog does an Uncharted racing game? Make it like Motorstorm Apocalypse or Blur, with constantly changing environments and treasure to grab like Crash Team Racing.

The dumbest part of this game has to be
when you and a few enemies are hanging for dear life onto cargo drifting out of a plane, yet the bad guys still are shooting at you[/i]. What the fuck, dude? Don't you have more important things to worry about right now?

Jack Scofield said:
The dumbest part of this game has to be
when you and a few enemies are hanging for dear life onto cargo drifting out of a plane, yet the bad guys still are shooting at you[/i]. What the fuck, dude? Don't you have more important things to worry about right now?
A lot of those circumstances are weird. But that one, I dunno.
If you were on a plane and then some guy snuck onto it and is (perceptively) trying to destroy it and killed your leader and has a bunch of weapons and like a freak is climbing back into the plane as he pulls off one of your buddies to his death. Im sure you'd try and get that crazy sob off asap.

Oh and before that, you saw the guy sink an entire cruise ship killing all of your friends on board.

Darknessbear said:
A lot of those circumstances are weird. But that one, I dunno.
If you were on a plane and then some guy snuck onto it and is (perceptively) trying to destroy it and killed your leader and has a bunch of weapons and like a freak is climbing back into the plane as he pulls off one of your buddies to his death. Im sure you'd try and get that crazy sob off asap.

I'm specifically talking about the one soldier
who's outside the plane hanging onto the cargo netting, yet still tries shooting you. He's the first soldier Nate pulls off to his death.
Both my brother and I rolled our eyes when the dude tried shooting us.

And now that I think about it,
what exactly caused the plane to crash anyway? All of a sudden there's fire yet I can't think of a cause, unless I missed it.

Jack Scofield said:
who's outside the plane hanging onto the cargo netting, yet still tries shooting you. He's the first soldier Nate pulls off to his death.

what exactly caused the plane to crash anyway? All of a sudden there's fire yet I can't think of a cause, unless I missed it.

I think when
Nate pulled that parachute and caused everything to fall out, the plane tilted around and some explosives or something went off.

Mifune

Mehmber
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Yeah, I actually like the way AC handles it.

I'm seriously not trying to be ridiculous here or to troll, this is just the kind of thing I think of while playing and trying to buy into a game's world. You've basically articulated better than I would have specifically why I didn't want to get into this one issue. I think Arne even mentioned specifically in one of these threads that the game wants you to win, so to speak.

If you haven't already, you should check out the Kill Screen review for a thoughtful take on this subject.

Crewnh said:
Glad I didn't buy the Fortune Hunter Pass. Freakin' ridiculous.

I don't see what is so ridiculous about the FHP. I would HOWEVER be extremely pissed if I had bought the three games soundtracks at 5.99 each at release, and then only one week later there be a bundle for all three games soundtracks for 9.99.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The points about the suicidal henchmen would have more weight if Drake didn't repeatedly comment upon it throughout the game.

Its a game and therefore its "reality" is altered/heightened for effect, specifically to keep the action going.

Jack Scofield said:

Haha, true. But you did just say it,
Nate was trying to pull him off, Id shoot at him also

But like the Chateau - that was crazy. Why arent you running out!

Darknessbear said:
Haha, true. But you did just say it,
Nate was trying to pull him off, Id shoot at him also

But like the Chateau - that was crazy. Why arent you running out!

Its a video game guys. Seriously. Its fake.

coop mode is boring, big step back from Uncharted 2's to be honest.

I don't think I'll be putting this game back in my system for at least a couple months now (when I start on crushing mode). meh 7/10. It's a good game but the whole thing has left me feeling very underwhelmed. Back to dark souls and bf3

I hope Naughty Dog takes a break from this franchise for a bit.

have to say the villains in here are better though.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Discotheque said:
coop mode is boring, big step back from Uncharted 2's to be honest.

How so? How is it boring?

Top Bottom