• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

My jaw DROPPED moreso playing this game then any in the previous entries and any other game before.... HOLY SHIT! Definetly the best new series of this generation. Hands down.

Niblet

Jax said:
Id buy a new controller. sounds like yours is broken

that pic of nolan+emily rose is nice.

I doubt this. My controller does not exhibit any signs of being broken. That weird event in U3 multiplayer is isolated. To clarify, my D-pad is not malfunctioning in either PS3 games or when used for PC emulators.

I'll keep my eye out for any problems to be safe.

Raonak

Banned
Hooooly fuck.

Just played a round of coop adventure.
Nate, Sully and Cutter( yay more cutter :D ) go look for treasure statue at the airport. And guess who is gaurding the treasure.

Flynn, Lazaravich and Eddy Raja. I shat brix.

newjeruse

I have to admit that I had this for a couple days and I just wasn't pumped to play after hearing some of the impressions of the media and all the controversy swirling around review scores. It just put a bad taste in my mouth.

That all ended as soon as that iconic music hit on the load screen. I'm only up to Chapter 6, but I'm blown away. I don't really understand how people can dismiss it as more Uncharted unless it drastically falls off after this point. Yea, of course it shares the DNA of the series. It's a freaking sequel. But everything that I love about the series: the voice-work, cinematics, choreography, lighting, camera-work, etc. is all taken to the next level once again.

Admittedly, the gunplay sucks. I don't feel like going back to play U2 right now, but it's definitely not as tight. But I can look past that for the time being because of how astounded I am by the production of this game.

KingK

newjeruse said:
I have to admit that I had this for a couple days and I just wasn't pumped to play after hearing some of the impressions of the media and all the controversy swirling around review scores. It just put a bad taste in my mouth.

That all ended as soon as that iconic music hit on the load screen. I'm only up to Chapter 6, but I'm blown away. I don't really understand how people can dismiss it as more Uncharted unless it drastically falls off after this point. Yea, of course it shares the DNA of the series. It's a freaking sequel. But everything that I love about the series: the voice-work, cinematics, choreography, lighting, camera-work, etc. is all taken to the next level once again.

Admittedly, the gunplay sucks. I don't feel like going back to play U2 right now, but it's definitely not as tight. But I can look past that for the time being because of how astounded I am by the production of this game.

It only gets better for the rest of the game. I really don't understand all the negativity around this game either.

Ricky_R

newjeruse said:

How bout that fantastic chapter 2 ehh??

newjeruse

The whole section in Colombia is one of my favorite settings in a game this generation. My jaw dropped while wandering through the museum. Of course, I'm also the schmuck breaking the fourth wall for myself because the entire time I'm wondering how all these original assets and environments could be created in a two-year development cycle.

dralla

newjeruse said:

the entire second half of the game is shooting, so, enjoy

Raonak

Banned
newjeruse said:
The whole section in Colombia is one of my favorite settings in a game this generation. My jaw dropped while wandering through the museum. Of course, I'm also the schmuck breaking the fourth wall for myself because the entire time I'm wondering how all these original assets and environments could be created in a two-year development cycle.

There was a HUGE smile across my face
when I first realised it was a flashback.

EDIT: sorry, spoilertagged.

Raonak said:
There was a HUGE smile across my face when I first realised it was a flashback.

Yeah the way the camera pans down to reveal well you know and the shirt oh man the shirt had me giddy.

One other puzzle that I forgot about that I thought was easy
but really cool and clever was the one where you match the map drawing of the pillars with the switches inside to the layout of the room.
The whole time your holding the map up just felt so cool.

Spoilers for those who have finished the game.

Did they ever explain how Talbot seemed to cheat death on multiple occasions? I can't remember any specifics right now, but I seem to remember him getting shot in the head (?) and recovering like it was nothing. Even other characters comment on his peculiar aversion to death, but the game just sweeps everything under the rug at the end.

RDreamer

Jack Scofield said:
Spoilers for those who have finished the game.

Did they ever explain how Talbot seemed to cheat death on multiple occasions? I can't remember any specifics right now, but I seem to remember him getting shot in the head (?) and recovering like it was nothing. Even other characters comment on his peculiar aversion to death, but the game just sweeps everything under the rug at the end.

Read the OP under Story Spoilers. Amy Hennig has responded to those questions.

It was a bullet proof vest. You can see he gets hit in the chest, and no blood comes out or anything

RDreamer said:
Read the OP under Story Spoilers. Amy Hennig has responded to those questions.

It was a bullet proof vest. You can see he gets hit in the chest, and no blood comes out or anything

Ah, I guess that explains it. I really thought there was something more to Talbot, especially how (ending spoilers)
he somehow manages to get ahead of Nathan and Sully while they're escaping the collapsing city at the end of the game. He was next to the quicksand when we left him, but just a few moments later he's intercepting Nate and Sully halfway up the building.

At that point, I was sure there was something more to this guy.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
My jaw DROPPED moreso playing this game then any in the previous entries and any other game before.... HOLY SHIT! Definetly the best new series of this generation. Hands down.
My parents watched me play at least a few hours of this. They have always shrugged at gaming but something about Uncharted 3 caught their eye and they were really into it. To them it was like watching an interactive movie. My dad called Drake a "monkey" for his sensational wall climbing. :lol

Jack Scofield said:
Ah, I guess that explains it. I really thought there was something more to Talbot, especially how (ending spoilers)
he somehow manages to get ahead of Nathan and Sully while they're escaping the collapsing city at the end of the game. He was next to the quicksand when we left him, but just a few moments later he's intercepting Nate and Sully halfway up the building.

At that point, I was sure there was something more to this guy.

he's supposed to be
that way, keep you guessing if he has real magic or just deception and trickery, but I guess they missed adding some 'AHA' scene where you get the pay off for finding out the truth about him

Loudninja said:
Eh don't you guys think so of this stuff is spoliers?
A lot of people just font give a fuck for some reason. You know, they're special and shit. They'll decide for you when spoilers can be revealed.

Ye haw! Just got my Platinum. What a fun game. Crushing was lot more enjoyable than I expected. Once you accept that there will be many, many deaths you can have fun figuring out the crazy different ways to beat the arenas.

Naughty Dog are incredible. Can't wait for their next IP.

if they do another console Uncharted game they should make it so Drake and company get sucked into an adventure/treasure hunt instead of seeking one themselves. and it should pay off with grand riches when that wasn't the intention :)

Callibretto said:
he's supposed to be
that way, keep you guessing if he has real magic or just deception and trickery, but I guess they missed adding some 'AHA' scene where you get the pay off for finding out the truth about him

Yeah I got the idea that he was like a master illusionist in many ways, I thought someone even mentioned something like that at one point. Also gotta say I hate spiders and fuck they sure did love to them that at you in this game. FUUUUUUUU.

So is sprinting rampant among high-level players online? Just came across a team of 45+ rankings and all they did was sprint around, making them very difficult to hit. Literally seemed like they were moving at twice the speed as everyone else.

jax (old)

Banned
AgentChris said:
Loving the MP but I don't like the City of Brass map.

I don't like it too. And I loathe the freaking highrise map. I posted about it earlier but I will be quiting the match everytime I have to play on it. Just awful

Musuem is kind of nice.

That said; the current arenas really make me wish they'd bring the icecaves + sanctuary + lost temple out asap. And not as DLC because they're so good and because it will fracture the user base. Those UC2 maps are great. I even really like the fort.

So, is anyone else having issues with their set Options not staying in the multiplayer section of the game? I set both the Aim Dot and Uncharted TV off, but when I exit the multiplayer and then come back later on, they are both back on again.

gdt5016 said:
I hate the Museum with a passion. Only map I "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" at.
Same. I didn't care for it in Uncharted 2, but at least in Uncharted 2 it was nice looking. Now, it's not even great to look at since it's just so bright. I absolutely love what they did with The Facility (Facility) and Flooded Ruins (Molten Ruins), though. It helps that they have always been fun maps to play Coop Arena on, and just play regular deathmatch on as well.

----

Speaking of Coop Arena, I just love that they have difficulty settings to choose now. I like that they have it in Coop Adventure too, but Coop Arena is something I'm going to play a lot of. With Coop Adventure, once I get my friend playing with me and we beat all the 5 maps on Crushing, I won't touch it again, haha. Anyways, I was playing on the
Yemen
map today with some randoms on Hard in Coop Arena, and it was so exciting. We kept dying a lot during Gold Rush, but I managed to get both idols in the chest. It was crazy until the end, but we managed to win all 10 rounds. I can just about imagine how Crushing is; I bet it's difficult but fun as heck.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Rewrite said:
The
inner ship
part of the game in Crushing is pissing me off.
Are you talking
ballroom
or
cargo hold
? The former was a breeze if you
stay under the balcony
. The latter sucked ass.

Cheska

Has anyone had any issues finding matches tonight? I swear,all night long I've only been able to join games already in progress, almost always near the end of the match when the teams get stuck on is about to lose -_-

Also, holy crap at how high some of these players levels are! Have they even played the campaign? o_O

Oh, and if you're on my PSN list, follow me on Twitter, or part of the UC3 GAF PSN chat then I have some weapon mod codes from E3 I'll be giving away. Though Duffyside gets first pick, because he's one cool dude, and I offered him one earlier :D

Raonak

Banned
Cheska said:
Has anyone had any issues finding matches tonight?

Earlier today, my friend was over and we were playing splitscreen. couldn't find a game in competetive. I suspected soemthing was up, i can normally find full games easily.

switched to coop adventure and found a game instantly. (that said, only needed 1 other person)

Oh, speaking of which. I really like how they changed it up. giving lives and the ability to respawn makes it SO much better! And people can join midgame, so if someone drops, someone else will come in a matter of seconds.

I hope ND patches the voting in Co-op Adventure. I just played with two guys online and we played five games in all. Of those five, three prompted us with a choice of Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. We had to play Chapter 1 three times. It seems like there should be a fix where the game recognizes what chapters you've played and gives you a choice of the ones you haven't done yet.

Still had a blast though. Co-op in this game is amazing.

Cheska

Square Triangle said:
I hate Chu Cheska! Ive asked you to add me on PSN for so long!

Send me a message on PSN(Cheska19), so I remember to make room for you on my list :) I'll DM you one of the Uncharted codes.

So one question what the hell happened to
that agent in the chateau that looked wayyy ancient and dried up
I don't remember an explanation for that.

dalin80

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:

think the spiders got him

monome

slasher_thrasher21 said:

French Death by Sucking Spiders.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Lionel Mandrake said:
I hope ND patches the voting in Co-op Adventure. I just played with two guys online and we played five games in all. Of those five, three prompted us with a choice of Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. We had to play Chapter 1 three times. It seems like there should be a fix where the game recognizes what chapters you've played and gives you a choice of the ones you haven't done yet.

Still had a blast though. Co-op in this game is amazing.
I just had a round where all three of us voted for a different difficulty and it just defaulted to Easy for some reason. But yeah, overall the co-op is great because of the variety. Between the adventure, and the way Arena mixes it up rather than just being "survival" every time, it is very replayable.

Despite the grenade spam and clusterfucks of the area control sections of a match, I'm going to stick with Team Objective. Plunder reminds me of Sabotage in Call of Duty. A twenty minute game where it seems like people are trying to deliver the item (be it the bomb or treasure) for the first four minutes but then decide they don't want to get killed as much.

And thank Jeebus for not having to sit through four host migration screens per match.

crispyben

I completed the SP last night and played a few rounds of competitive MP with GAFers (tahnks for the invite guys!) going 0-10 for my first TDM :-| I want to know more about the splitscreen coop, especially adventure mode: do we have to wait on a third player through MM or can we play with an AI partner?

Finished this tonight. Loved it. Amazing atmosphere, graphics and even the gameplay was excellent and responsive despite everyone complaining about the aiming. Definitely going through this one several more times. Good job Naughty Dog. I can tell a significant amount of hard work went into this game.

Jaroof

crispyben said:
I completed the SP last night and played a few rounds of competitive MP with GAFers (tahnks for the invite guys!) going 0-10 for my first TDM :-| I want to know more about the splitscreen coop, especially adventure mode: do we have to wait on a third player through MM or can we play with an AI partner?

You don't need 3 people to play coop.
You can just play with 2.
Also...
what's up, Ben?!
We need to play again :D

crispyben

Jaroof said:
You don't need 3 people to play coop.
You can just play with 2.
Also...
what's up, Ben?!
We need to play again :D
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, that one DR2 session was really fun, it's just that real life gets in the way a lot :) I'm sure we'll cross paths sooner or later.

Jaroof

crispyben said:
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, that one DR2 session was really fun, it's just that real life gets in the way a lot :) I'm sure we'll cross paths sooner or later.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't gotten on U3 nearly as much as I'd like to because of work.
Hopefully it'll be soon. Coop is a blast.

If it's cool to post ideas we'd like to see in a future title I'd love to share mine and read others. My wife and I were brainstorming about it last night.

Top Bottom