• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Ricker

Man,I just can`t beat chapter 12...maybe i`ll start that chapter over and try a few stealth kills because where it autosaved me now,there`s about 15 guys shooting/throwing grenades/rocket launching me lol...

Wickwire

I finally got a chance to play a couple co-op adventure games last night. Is every stage this boring kill guys until you open a box garbage? Is there anything like two's taking down the tank or helicopter? Anything that makes you feeling like you actually accomplished something? With the removal of resistances' 8 player co op and now what they turned uncharted's co op into this has been a really disappointing co-op gaming season for me.

jett

D-Member
Wickwire said:
I finally got a chance to play a couple co-op adventure games last night. Is every stage this boring kill guys until you open a box garbage? Is there anything like two's taking down the tank or helicopter? Anything that makes you feeling like you actually accomplished something? With the removal of resistances' 8 player co op and now what they turned uncharted's co op into this has been a really disappointing co-op gaming season for me.

There's a level where you take out two helicopters. That's it.

I agree though, the co-op missions in UC3 are not up to par with UC3's. In UC2's missions you feel like you're traversing through a pretty big area, in UC3 it all feels really small and repetitive. The redone UC2 and UC1 levels also look really poor compared to the originals.

Ricky_R

Ricker said:
Man,I just can`t beat chapter 12...maybe i`ll start that chapter over and try a few stealth kills because where it autosaved me now,there`s about 15 guys shooting/throwing grenades/rocket launching me lol...

I re-started that area a couple of times to do some stealth kills and after a few approaches, I ended killing quite a few. Then the shooting felt pretty natural and diverse. I love that chapter.

EDIT: haha now I noticed that you're the same dude I replied to about the same chapter.

If you are patient, you can get enough stealth kills.

Wickwire

Ricker said:

I always tried to get to the far turret, the one with the rocket launcher inside the ship. This provided me with a lot of cover and escape options as well as the turret. Try and pick up a tau and shot gun. That combo always worked the best for me there.

edit: also if shit get too hairy just run away and dive under the water.

Gyrian

jett said:
There's a level where you take out two helicopters. That's it.

I agree though, the co-op missions in UC3 are not up to par with UC3's. In UC2's missions you feel like you're traversing through a pretty big area, in UC3 it all feels really small and repetitive. The redone UC2 and UC1 levels also look really poor compared to the originals.

I think there was a trade off in quality versus quantity compared with U2, but it's still a very solid (and fun) co-op campaign. They even performed new mocap with the original villain cast specifically for it.
Graphically, there are some kinda rough spots since the game is using the more modest MP assets, whereas U2 always ran the SP high poly versions.

In any case, isn't there now at least a chance of getting even more co-op content later on?
For U2, it was a given that what shipped was all we were ever going to see.

Angry Fork

What's the consensus on the multiplayer? Feel like Infinity Ward robbed me on MW3 and I just hate the multiplayer right now. Thinking about switching to this if it's addictive/fun.

jett

D-Member
Angry Fork said:
What's the consensus on the multiplayer? Feel like Infinity Ward robbed me on MW3 and I just hate the multiplayer right now. Thinking about switching to this if it's addictive/fun.

It's fun, lighthearted stuff. I prefer Uncharted over any FPS because of the platforming/traversal mechanic, climbing and jumping from roof to roof, or dropping 3 stories down to get a drop on someone just feels great, and it's simply awesome to kick off someone off ledge, or conversely grab someone that's standing above you. The shooting mechanics of the game are solid.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Angry Fork said:

It is unique because of traversal. And there is more focus on Coop than most other games with 3 coop modes. I am not a multiplayer type of person myself, but I feel that the coop is some of the most fun I've had this year.

gdt

Angry Fork said:

I personally love it. I'm not too into multiplayer, but I looooove this. Can't get enough.

tusken77

I agree. I'm not really interested in FPS multiplayer. For me, Uncharted's style of MP is the best. The traversal and verticality of the maps makes for endless fun.

Just started playing the game. Ugh the aiming really is 'off'. I prefer running up to everyone to punch em senseless rather than shooting. Makes me feel like Mickey Rourke in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.

Dialogue is entertaining though. Victor is awesome.

Sorc3r3r

Angry Fork said:

I'm into FPS stuff instead, mostly MAG to be honest almost 500h me thinks, and the multy of Uncharted is fun, no doubt about it and if you will allow it very deep too.

I think that this will be my multy of election untill Starhawk will rock everything ^^

Slowly getting through the game. I haven't been turned off by the pacing, but it has seemed slower than it needs to be. The entire Teen Nick Drake and Josh sequence should have been cut regardless of its relevance to the story as far as I'm concerned, and the spazzy direction shifting and reaching for the walls animations really drive home a sense of trying way too hard where someone should have stood up and said that less would have been more.

It didn't start to feel like an Uncharted game until about Chapter 10, and especially 11, but it really wasn't until Chapter 13 that the environmental effects and design really reached a level where I was seriously impressed.

What's odd is how much the game reminds me of Tomb Raider 2, and I'm not sure how to explain why. It's a positive feeling though.

The plot is a sieve however, with the clever characterizations and interactions being the only real strong point. Unless it gets a lot worse later on, the hand-holding complaints I think are at least one game late as I'm not noticing a greater linearity and sense of "you're supposed to win here" than the last game had.

Overall it's the fun romp I expected, no more special but certainly not worse than either of the first 2. Looking forward to finishing it this weekend.

jett

D-Member
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Slowly getting through the game. I haven't been turned off by the pacing, but it has seemed slower than it needs to be. The entire Teen Nick Drake and Josh sequence should have been cut regardless of its relevance to the story as far as I'm concerned, and the spazzy direction shifting and reaching for the walls animations really drive home a sense of trying way too hard where someone should have stood up and said that less would have been more.

Agreed, it bothered me even during the first gameplay demo at E3. It just looked weird, someone at ND should've realized that their exaggerated contextual animations were a complete failure.

This is how the chases in this game should've looked like, in a perfect world. I really can't imagine anyone at ND being satisfied by how they ended up looking in the final game.

jett

D-Member
finalozzo said:
4 maps and 3 skins for 25€? No way.

4 map packs an 3 skin packs for 25. The first skin pack has 25 skins(all of them redone versions of UC2 skins...but 25 skins nonetheless :p).

Ricky_R

Fine Ham Abounds said:

Agree about the animation. While good, it was a bit overdone and on top of that he constantly touches air instead of walls.

However, I completely disagree about Cartagena's flashback. I thought it was a great touch and it made me care more about their relationship.

I think it was a nice refreshing chapter.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Agreed, it bothered me even during the first gameplay demo at E3. It just looked weird, someone at ND should've realized that their exaggerated contextual animations were a complete failure.

This is how the chases in this game should've looked like, in a perfect world. I really can't imagine anyone at ND being satisfied by how they ended up looking in the final game.
UC3 is the closest a game came to that video with its gameplay, while still being playable and not completely disorienting. I really think two of you are complaining about some kind of perfection not being reached, despite it being better than anything out there. A lot of times, chase scenes in UC3 looked practically the same as that prerendered video, animated reactions and all.

Also, I'm on the ship now, and his reactions to ship undulation are much better and tighter than in the E3 video. The sliding that was there when he runs around is not there now, and it looks a lot more natural.

I'd say, if you think this sort of thing is overdone, try playing some other, older games now and see how robotic and unnatural it all feels in comparison.

Finalow

jett said:
4 map packs an 3 skin packs for 25. The first skin pack has 25 skins(all of them redone versions of UC2 skins...but 25 skins nonetheless :p).
4 map packs = 4 maps? :^
and i don't really care about the skins.

ghibli99

Ricky_R said:
Agree about the animation. While good, it was a bit overdone and on top of that he constantly touches air instead of walls.

However, I completely disagree about Cartagena's flashback. I thought it was a great touch and it made me care more about their relationship.

I think it was a nice refreshing chapter.
Agreed on all counts. The animation is really buggy. When Drake walks down a corridor, even if he's not that close to the wall, his arm will oftentimes snap out and just touch air. The animation blending makes controlling him feel sluggish, too. Not sure if that's real or if it's just perceived because the animation takes a bit longer, but it feels like a step backwards.

The flashback chapter was nice. In fact, it might have worked *too* well for me. All I keep thinking throughout the game so far (I'm at Chapter 12) is I wish this was strictly a Drake and Sully game. The other characters, even the series staples, just seem like distractions to what could be a much better and tighter story between those two.

jett

D-Member
Lord Error said:
UC3 is the closest a game came to that video with its gameplay, while still being playable and not completely disorienting. I really think two of you are complaining about some kind of perfection not being reached, despite it being better than anything out there. A lot of times, chase scenes in UC3 looked practically the same as that prerendered video, animated reactions and all.

Also, I'm on the ship now, and his reactions to ship undulation are much better and tighter than in the E3 video. The sliding that was there when he runs around is not there now, and it looks a lot more natural.

I'd say, if you think this sort of thing is overdone, try playing some other, older games now and see how robotic and unnatural it all feels in comparison.

I disagree 100% with you, the chases don't look anything like the video I posted. And personally I don't like any of the new animations of Drake touching everything he passes. Nevermind nobody walks around like that, the way his arms randomly stretch out is extremely robotic, I do not need to take a look at an older game. :p For me the animation in UC3 is a step back to the uneven quality of UC1, UC2 is definitely much more consistent despite having less animation routines. You say there's no sliding anymore but that's exactly what the chases felt to me(especially in chapter 2), Drake sliding all the way everywhere, moving in the most unnatural manner, and with a running speed that did not match his running animation AT ALL.

What can I say, I expected better from Uncharted 2's sequel. Call it high expectations, but I don't think I was out of line.

Ricky_R

jett said:
I disagree 100% with you, the chases don't look anything like the video I posted. And personally I don't like any of the new animations of Drake touching everything he passes. Nevermind nobody walks around like that, the way his arms randomly stretch out is extremely robotic, I do not need to take a look at an older game. :p For me the animation in UC3 is a step back to the uneven quality of UC1, UC2 is definitely much more consistent despite having less animation routines. You say there's no sliding anymore but that's exactly what the chases felt to me(especially in chapter 2), Drake sliding all the way everywhere, moving in the most unnatural manner, and with a running speed that did not match his running animation AT ALL.

What can I say, I expected better from Uncharted 2's sequel. Call it high expectations, but I don't think I was out of line.

I would be depressed if I over analysed stuff like you do. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it sure would turned me off to so many things.

jett

D-Member
Ricky_R said:
I would be depressed if I over analysed stuff like you do. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it sure would turned me off to so many things.

I'm not really analyzing anything, just describing what I saw.

Ricky_R said:

Just to go through life, playing games and noticing every single little thing off, or motion blur not being there, or maybe some jaggies in the corner of the room of some shit.

That would just make me hate video games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
You say there's no sliding anymore but that's exactly what the chases felt to me(especially in chapter 2)
I meant on the ship specifically, just when he's running down the swaying floor, it looks a lot more solid and connected to the ground than it did in E3 video. It's just the part where I paid some attention to, because it irked me a bit in E3 video.

Lord Error said:
Honestly it was how I felt the whole sequence just didn't work or felt unnecessary from a plot, pacing, and suspension of disbelief standpoint more than a complaint specifically about the chasing.

I get the point of the sequence, I really do, but the way it played out it felt tacked on, out of place, and sort of like that uncomfortable, self-referential part in some movies where the title of the film is spoken by one of the characters. It may be in context, but it doesn't make it harder to roll your eyes at.

Regarding the chasing itself though, I've never been a fan of the chases in the UC games, and this one functionally isn't any worse than the others. They are certainly impressive feats of design, but I just don't enjoy most of them. This one is especially bad though simply for how bad getting caught during the sequence completely ruins the tension and energy they are trying to convey. Getting into a fight where you had a chance to wrestle free would have been better than a one-hit fail, checkpoint reset. For right now, I'm not even going to get into how bizarre the idea is that you could die in a flashback of your own life.

Lord Error said:

I play other, older games constantly, they don't feel robotic and unnatural compared to this. Maybe it's some kind of uncanny valley regarding movement? I think it's more that in UC3 the "more natural" animations happen too often and become obtrusive. When you can be constantly distracted by your own character's movements, you've gone too far and are detracting from the natural flow of the experience. When I can spin the stick around a corner over and over and Drake's hand jerks up and down rapidly and repeatedly like a marionette, it's defeated its own purpose of trying to be more realistic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:

I knew exactly what video this was going to be before even clicking. It still makes me depressed that that may never see the light of day.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fine Ham Abounds said:
When I can spin the stick around a corner over and over and Drake's hand jerks up and down rapidly and repeatedly like a marionette, it's defeated its own purpose of trying to be more realistic.
That's when you try to do something that's normally never done. It works really well under normal control conditions IMO, with a rare exception here and there.

jett said:
Actually that first pack is 3 separate packs in the psn store, so I'm afraid we already got our 3 skin packs from the Fortune Hunters' Club

I was away for two weeks and returned yesterday.... started the game and now at Chapter 5.

What do I have to say?

I'm pretty sure this will ends up being my favorite game in this generation.... I was really blown away in Chapter 2 and 3, didn't expect that at all.

Everything so far is perfect, ND.... what are you? how you guys can do this?

I bow to you with every new chapter I play in U3.

Dibbz

Thread needs more images.

6331693995_9cf8b01664_b.jpg

6331694011_7e6aaea4ba_b.jpg

6331694021_ce19af7a72_b.jpg

6331694025_f0aa7e026c_b.jpg

6331694031_700e1db06d_b.jpg

Hoping it only counts as one for us members. Some people have addressed their concern in the ND forums regarding the skin packs but they have yet to reply back

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Regarding the chasing itself though, I've never been a fan of the chases in the UC games, and this one functionally isn't any worse than the others. They are certainly impressive feats of design, but I just don't enjoy most of them. This one is especially bad though simply for how bad getting caught during the sequence completely ruins the tension and energy they are trying to convey. Getting into a fight where you had a chance to wrestle free would have been better than a one-hit fail, checkpoint reset. For right now, I'm not even going to get into how bizarre the idea is that you could die in a flashback of your own life.

Holy over thinking it Batman.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fine Ham Abounds said:
For right now, I'm not even going to get into how bizarre the idea is that you could die in a flashback of your own life.

You don't die. You trigger a time paradox!

jk, I agree. I didn't like that part either.

Wickwire said:

Nope. It's all the same shit. Fight 10 waves of guys, go to point X, fight another 50 waves of guys, etc. So much wasted potential for co-op. I wish somehow they could have incorporated adventure/platforming elements. Also, would be awesome if there was a 'spectating' mode where you could watch a friend play the campaign, point shit out on the screen, voice chat, and jump to help out during firefights etc.

Ricky_R said:
Yea seriously. What the hell. Nitpicking SOB's, I'm so glad Naughty Dog is here to take risks and PUSH animation systems as far as they can go. They've really tried new things and while I agree wall touching was overused at times, its still great they tried it and can always scale it back. Game characters were so UNALIVE before games like Uncharted and even Assassins Creed. But look at AC theyve kept the same safe animation system through all 4 games (with tiny tweaks) and its great to see ND actually iterate on that tech.

And Jett comparing U3 to a prerendered video, shows how crazy Uncharted even is to be having animations like that.

BruiserBear said:
Holy over thinking it Batman.
You act like this made me hate the game and stop playing or something. If anything, the fact that little things like this bug me speaks more to how impressive the presentation is in general than it does to me overthinking something. You've never found yourself more critical of something that's so close to being convincing but then fucks one small but important thing up than you are over something completely and intentionally stylized?

Shai-Tan

Banned
there are problems with the animation climbing, jumping and the level design that supports it, not like they aren't valid concerns. i wrote an entire page of notes just about what's wrong with the design of the gameplay in the young drake level but I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog already knows what does and doesn't work and it was a time issue more than anything else. it should be pretty obvious by now that they had a strict release date and a few aspects of the game are rough because of it

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I never get to use my villain dude in co-op... it's annoying. I don't play the competitive so the money I spent on the villain was pretty much wasted.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
The entire Teen Nick Drake and Josh sequence should have been cut regardless of its relevance to the story as far as I'm concerned, and the spazzy direction shifting and reaching for the walls animations really drive home a sense of trying way too hard where someone should have stood up and said that less would have been more.

Completely disagree.

Game could have benefited from more dev time, but I'm glad they stick to their guns on animation.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
jett said:
That can't be right.
He's right, they split up the skins into 3 packs and they're saying those are the 3 Foretune Hunter skins.

Some of you may have already gotten the jump on the Fortune Hunters’ Club (downloadable from the PlayStation Store) which entitles you to the first four multiplayer map packs, as well as the first three multiplayer skin packs. To celebrate the release of Uncharted 3, those 3 multiplayer skins are now available to download! Fortune Hunters’ Club folks are able to grab these skins now for free!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/01/playstation-store-update-211/

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Dibbz said:
Thread needs more images.

6331693995_9cf8b01664_b.jpg

6331694011_7e6aaea4ba_b.jpg

6331694021_ce19af7a72_b.jpg

6331694025_f0aa7e026c_b.jpg

6331694031_700e1db06d_b.jpg

Holy Hell.

Uncharted 3 arrives tomorrow. My 3DTV sometime between tomorrow and Monday.

Can't wait.....

Although, in 9 hours Skyrim will make my time much more bearable.

Lord Error said:
That's when you try to do something that's normally never done. It works really well under normal control conditions IMO, with a rare exception here and there.
That's a valid point of course, but mind you the reason it bugs me so much is because this hit me as soon as I took control of Drake in the game's intro, it was the first thing I noticed, and it was immersion-breakingly distracting. At first I hoped it was just something he did because he had just gotten into a bar fight, but it quickly became apparent that that was not the case and it soon became annoying.

ViewtifulJC said:
Just to go through life, playing games and noticing every single little thing off, or motion blur not being there, or maybe some jaggies in the corner of the room of some shit.
That would just make me hate video games.
Ricky_R said:
Darknessbear said:
Yea seriously. What the hell. Nitpicking SOB's
So what you're saying is, all games deserve criticism, but not equally?

Top Bottom