• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

ugh, I really don't like the multiplayer experience this time around. The net code is garbage and none of the guns feel the least bit satisfying. The new levels don't seem overly engaging either - tried a round of plunder on the dust level and had a grenade thrown at our spawn within the first 2 seconds - seems the other team spawns just above us. Spawn system is still crap as in UC2.

Now that everything is an unlock the game just feels like every other shooter experience where the focus is on grinding for gear. Loved the single player but probably won't revisit it for quite some time. Co-op arena seems like a bit of fun, but the story missions are pretty boring.

I think I might regret having bought this and would have been happier with a rental.

I dont think there is such thing as a boring COOP mode.

You could play together with a box and a stick and have fun as long as you are playing with someone you like.

Loudninja

Discotheque said:
coop mode is boring, big step back from Uncharted 2's to be honest.

I don't think I'll be putting this game back in my system for at least a couple months now (when I start on crushing mode). meh 7/10. It's a good game but the whole thing has left me feeling very underwhelmed. Back to dark souls and bf3

I hope Naughty Dog takes a break from this franchise for a bit.

have to say the villains in here are better though.
Huh big step back?

I though ti was better than the co-op in UC2, since it actually had a narrative.

jett

D-Member
Loudninja said:
Huh big step back?

I though ti was better than the co-op in UC2, since it actually had a narrative.

heh.

heh.

heh.

A completely throwaway "narrative" is what makes it better for you? The co-op missions in UC2 have as much narrative individually as those in UC3, anyway.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Loudninja said:
Huh big step back?

I love the co op in uncharted 3. The narrative and locations are better. I was shocked to see uncharted 2 locations in co op.

Loudninja said:
Huh big step back?

there was a narrative in the coop mode? It was a 5 second afterthought. The only cutscene that truly made me laugh was the "twisted reunion" in the last chapter.

The actual gameplay in the second game's coop mode was more fun. I fondly remember the level with the chopper and the bridge in second game, more fun than any chapter in this one.

patsu

I like U3 Co-op Adventures better because the level design is more interesting and difficult. The dialog and cutscenes are similar to U2.

patsu

Discotheque said:
there was a narrative in the coop mode? It was a 5 second afterthought. The only cutscene that truly made me laugh was the "twisted reunion" in the last chapter.

The actual gameplay in the second game's coop mode was more fun. I fondly remember the level with the chopper and the bridge in second game, more fun than any chapter in this one.

Have you played all of them ?

There is a chopper level in U3 Co-op Adventure (The Syria one). In fact, you have 2 choppers.

The narrative in the museum one is also quite funny (Cutter opens the door for a stumped Nate).

In the Nate rescue scenario, you need to save and move Nate out of danger.

In the treasure hunting in Syria one, you need to move 4 treasures to their designated location. In fact, in this level you also have a vertical shooting segment like the SP shipyard platforming, but in co-op.

EDIT: You should play more ! ^_^

Thrakier

In that scene Drake comments on the situation: "Are you kidding me?" It's on purpose. It's overdone, that's how Uncharted rolls. If you are taking it serious then you are doing it wrong. You are supposed to smile and not to roll your eyes.

neojubei

Darkkn said:
I hope they don't add characters outside UC universe. Playing UC2 now with everyone playing as a non-UC character just cheapens the experience for some reason...
Why not? I loved that in uncharted 2. Playing as the solider from kill zone 2 was cool,

A.R.K

So has ND said when the patch for aiming and moblur would be coming? I can wait if its not too far away. Any hint at ETA?

patsu

I think so. Beyond that, we'll have to look at other co-op modes. I forgot what they are called.

IMHO, UC3 co-op adventures are more replayable than UC2 because the areas are more open and enemies are more dynamic (They run all over the place).

Thrakier said:
There are five. And they are tons of fun. Gunplay is fucking perfect in this game.

My brain hurts. How can you say that?

Might have to wait for a patch, so it's back to being perfect (like in UC2).

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the game after 3 days of playing through it. I really enjoyed it. I liked it a lot more than 2. I didn't feel frustrated or get the feeling that it was just chugging on and on like I did in 2. The game is beautiful but them horse animations... felt off. Also the ending had me smiling rather than rolling my eyes like in 2. I don't think it's a perfect game but it had me going from start to finish.

It is a bit disapointing that they are only 5 Coop Adventure levels, given that they are pulling geometry and level design straight from existing assests. I don't really care if they axe the narrative elements, I hope we get another set of levels mixing UC2 and UC3 (hell UC1 even, although the assests there may not hold up as well) as DLC at some point.

patsu

There are many other MP game modes in UC3 though. If they spend more time here, something's gotta give in other areas.

FINISHED!

I must have died 50 times during that last hour.

it was neat. somethings are better then u2. some things worse. mostly combat design.

I would like to meet the person at naughty dog who went "hey lets send 4 heavy shot gun guys while a sniper and a rocket launcher guy are on the roof tops... oh I know lets just do that for the entire last quarter."

the story was fun. was expecting
more closure, like drake gives up the treasurer hunting gig for a bit or something.. but nah the door is wide open for Uncharted 4

funkystudent said:
I would like to meet the person at naughty dog who meant "hey lets send 4 heavy shot gun guys while a sniper and a rocket launcher guy are on the roof tops... oh I know lets just do that for the entire last quarter."

Change that comment to "entire 2nd half" and you'd be more accurate.

But hey, just keep moving right :p

:|

Ratba said:
I just finished the game after 3 days of playing through it. I really enjoyed it. I liked it a lot more than 2. I didn't feel frustrated or get the feeling that it was just chugging on and on like I did in 2. The game is beautiful but them horse animations... felt off. Also the ending had me smiling rather than rolling my eyes like in 2. I don't think it's a perfect game but it had me going from start to finish.
Yea, horses are the hardest things to animate correctly. RDR spent most of their development perfecting that shit. Too bad R* are so closed with their development, ND could have bought that horse rig.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
On normal difficulty the only regular enemies that are actually all that dangerous are guys sniping away with hammers from rooftops. Prioritize them, and/or draw any heavy armour dudes into an area where you can melee them safely.

Brawling is important in the campaign mode; they've enlarged its complexity for a reason - its probably also why they've made aiming so stiff.

tldr; Stop treating the campaign mode like a stop'n'pop shooter. Its not *just* about that, use the tools ND have given you and you'll have a lot more fun.

Massa

Clear said:
On normal difficulty the only regular enemies that are actually all that dangerous are guys sniping away with hammers from rooftops. Prioritize them, and/or draw any heavy armour dudes into an area where you can melee them safely.

Brawling is important in the campaign mode; they've enlarged its complexity for a reason - its probably also why they've made aiming so stiff.

tldr; Stop treating the campaign mode like a stop'n'pop shooter. Its not *just* about that, use the tools ND have given you and you'll have a lot more fun.

I'm replaying the game and just got past the part before you
board the plane

There's a point in that battle where there are two heavy armor SAS-12 dudes chasing you while both a sniper and a dude with a hammer sit on the highest container taking shots at you, and of course there's a bunch of other regular dudes as well.

It's just so poorly thought out. Brawling in the middle of combat is a terrible idea, more often than not you'll get stuck in a fight while everyone and their mothers show up and start shooting you.

Massa said:
board the plane

There's a point in that battle where there are two heavy armor SAS-12 dudes chasing you while both a sniper and a dude with a hammer sit on the highest container taking shots at you, and of course there's a bunch of other regular dudes as well.

It's just so poorly thought out. Brawling in the middle of combat is a terrible idea, more often than not you'll get stuck in a fight while everyone and their mothers show up and start shooting you.

You should know better than to get into a fistfight in the middle of a shoot-out.

Is it me or does Drake tend to destroy every single ancient civilization he visits?

Massa

ProfessorMoran said:
You should know better than to get into a fistfight in the middle of a shoot-out.

Well yeah, took me 2 or 3 deaths to realize that. It's a shame since in Uncharted 2 you could finish off guys with melee and I did that a lot in the first half of UC3 as well, but by the end of the game I was avoiding any melee combat.

There was even a trophy for it, wasn't there?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Massa said:

Heh. Yep that's the toughest gunfight in the game; leastways that's the only one that actually held me up.

Way to win is to draw them back into the covered garage area, out of sight of the hammer dude. You can deal with them easily in there.

Remember you can grab and throw enemies directionally; push them away so you can break out of a fistfight and get back into shooting/evasion mode.

I want to know who's bright idea was to put "roll away from a fight" on the same button as "grab into a fight and get shot"

Because you are stupid, good sir or madam

Clear said:
Heh. Yep that's the toughest gunfight in the game; leastways that's the only one that actually held me up.

Way to win is to draw them back into the covered garage area, out of sight of the hammer dude. You can deal with them easily in there.

Remember you can grab and throw enemies directionally; push them away so you can break out of a fistfight and get back into shooting/evasion mode.

I kind of like the fact that they pin you down with snipers and guys with hammer while they rush you with armor guys with shotguns, you can't really flail around too much, if you're going to stay behind cover, you HAVE to make your shots with the recoil being what it is.

Replicant

Massa said:
board the plane

AHAHAHA, my favorite part - the airport (NOT!). Fuck those two armored shotgun guys. Unless you can dispatch one quickly, you're guaranteed to die because they both dropped at the same time as two laser snipers and one hammer guy.

If you can do so, shoot the hammer guy but trying to locate his fallen gun before you get gang-banged by the two armored guys is pretty slim. You are better off running away to the back of the garage, throw some bombs (if you have some) to one of them then melee the last shotgun guy in the back away from laser sniper dudes.

I am not sure if it's doable or not but I'd want to try stealth on my Crushing run. I did manage to successfully stealth in Syria before opening the gate and only missed one person during the search and kill moment in the same area. I can't believe I still have to fight 5-6 people despite only failing one stealth though. Although it's better than fighting tens of them.

neojubei

Massa said:
board the plane

There are going to be a few more fight like that one to come soon. After the 3rd such fight I put my controller down and won't play until the update is released

Cruzader

Banned
ViewtifulJC said:
I want to know who's bright idea was to put "roll away from a fight" on the same button as "grab into a fight and get shot"

Yup, I sometimes wanted to roll away from a fight due to incoming fire but I end up grabing the guy and dying from 100 bullets on my ass.

I have a really strong feeling that those who are having difficult times in the shootouts are not being mobile or resourceful enough. Once you realize what you're up against, start getting creative and take the damn training wheels off.

Edit: sure, I died many times in various fights but that made me feel all the more like a badass when I started moving around more and stopped playing like I did in the previous games.

ViewtifulJC said:

Been saying this since uc1 although then it was about sticking to cover.

ZeroRay

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I have a really strong feeling that those who are having difficult times in the shootouts are not being mobile or resourceful enough. Once you realize what you're up against, start getting creative and take the damn training wheels off.

You don't even have to be creative.

Finding a nice corner and blindfiring anyone that charges at you works pretty well.

neojubei

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Wished it worked like that but even if you move there is that rocket guy or hammer guy and even worse Drake decides to brawl with a regular enemy that turns into a QTE and everyone and their mother are shooting at you. The settlement part of the game is so damn ridiculous with gun fights. And even if you manage to get the hammer guy and snipers and think you are going to finish a rocket guy shows up.

storl026

Co-op arena is not fun at all on Wave 9 - 10. Spawns are nothing but heavies with shotties and super heavies with rail guns.

It's ridiculous that it doesn't even slow them down when you're unloading on their head, and every time you peek out to try to shoot one, his buddy is hitting you from the side. Can't blindfire because it isn't accurate enough. NOT FUN.

ProfessorMoran said:

Is it me or does Drake tend to destroy every single ancient civilization he visits?

he didn't destroy the first one :p

in U2 and 3, the ancient/mythical object in question is what support the place in the first place, so when Drake mess with those objects , the environment around them collapse)

anyway, I'm sure if we joke about it all the time, ND will listen and will make U4 a bit different. (although, if U4 is set on underwater Atlantis, do you really expect it not to flood at some point in the game? do you even want that)

jax (old)

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
ugh, I really don't like the multiplayer experience this time around. The net code is garbage and none of the guns feel the least bit satisfying. The new levels don't seem overly engaging either - tried a round of plunder on the dust level and had a grenade thrown at our spawn within the first 2 seconds - seems the other team spawns just above us. Spawn system is still crap as in UC2.

Now that everything is an unlock the game just feels like every other shooter experience where the focus is on grinding for gear. Loved the single player but probably won't revisit it for quite some time. Co-op arena seems like a bit of fun, but the story missions are pretty boring.

I think I might regret having bought this and would have been happier with a rental.

This post is 100% cray cray.

MP game is so much fun.

Top Bottom