• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Those are my favorite rounds. What difficulty are you playing it on?

I always play on Hard or Crushing where it feels like Wave 9/10 at the start of Wave 4.

Edit: wtf, the mobile web app didn't quote the person I was replying to, lol. This is a reply to the post storl026 made.

Riposte

Jax said:
This post is 100% cray cray.

MP game is so much fun.

Uncharted's multiplayer conceptually is fun, but has some extreme flaws in execution and design I've found. Maybe the execution flaws is based on inexperience on my part so I won't make a final verdict yet.

A Hardcore Team Objective mode would go a long way for me.

EDIT: Is there any way to roll/jump around a corner without getting stuck in cover or ledge grab/fail to ledge grab animations? Really bothersome. If there isn't then this game definitely suffers from a condition of "too few buttons".

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Protip on the
airport
part:

When the armored guys show up Jump on trailers right above them and press square for a jumping melee takedown. It instantly kills them.

Replicant

Does anyone know how to trigger that fish-slapping trophy? I tried over and over again to grab some fish from the stall but there's no button prompt to grab anything and Nate can't seem to grab the fish.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Replicant said:
Does anyone know how to trigger that fish-slapping trophy? I tried over and over again to grab some fish from the stall but there's no button prompt to grab anything and Nate can't seem to grab the fish.
Grab the enemies and throw them there, and then melee them.

Raonak

Banned
Replicant said:
Oh, I see. Thanks!

context sensitive melees are cool.

Melee; Is so much better on crushing; no button prompts, makes it feel less like a qte. feels more satisfying. and you actually have to pay attentiom.

Anteater

Raonak said:

Melee; Is so much better on crushing; no button prompts, makes it feel less like a qte. feels more satisfying. and you actually have to pay attentiom.

Yea the melees are actually pretty useful and I liked that you could punch some enemies with helmets and they'd come off

jax (old)

Banned
Riposte said:
Uncharted's multiplayer conceptually is fun, but has some extreme flaws in execution and design I've found. Maybe the execution flaws is based on inexperience on my part so I won't make a final verdict yet.

A Hardcore Team Objective mode would go a long way for me.

EDIT: Is there any way to roll/jump around a corner without getting stuck in cover or ledge grab/fail to ledge grab animations? Really bothersome. If there isn't then this game definitely suffers from a condition of "too few buttons".

extreme flaws? Meh. Nothing is ever perfect but is pretty solid across the board. There are maps+modes I don't like but I don't have to play them

I do wish they have a straight out horde mode without the bizarro siege+treasure conditions thrown in. And the yemen map (which I like) has the worst siege area ever - under the big round minaret to the south. You can't shoot anything from there and you have to wait for the enemies to come to you.

shooting shit is fun. weird conditions is not.

I wish ND would come out and say what they have planned for the MP game with regards to DLC now. Is it really just skins+maps?

Raonak

Banned
Anteater said:
Yea the melees are actually pretty useful and I liked that you could punch some enemies with helmets and they'd come off

It's useful against armoured guys, since you can fully melee them. which you couldn't do in U2.

Speaking of which theres weird differences between SP and MP.
-Aiming
-In MP; you automatically pick up ammo/grenades if you walk over it. (I only noticed it in coop- might be in normal MP too)
-In MP, you can hold down O while climbing to drop without grabbing onto anything on the way down. It seemed like I couldn't do it in sp.
-In COOP you can't melee armoured dudes
-Mp/coop has old U2 melee system (which itself was different than U2 SP melee, so makes sense)
-In Coop, if you're hanging off an edge, you can pull down armoured dudes, but in SP, they'll stomp on your hands. (thats what happened in the shipyard atleast.

I like some of the additions; meleeing someone who's in cover becomes a stealth kill- it was so annyoing in U2, when you sneak up to a covered enemy, you just initate a normal meelee hit.

And being able to melee people who are hanging off waist high ledges. so useful in mueseam.

---

^^^
I would assume that the fortune hunters club gives you all dlc. in which case; skins and maps.

Having more dlc ontop of the fortune hunters club would be major bs.

Gyrian said:
With the 3 'first' skin packs covering essentially the entire series cast, what else (and how much?) could they hope to release?
PS heroes pack? Character attachment packs?

The season pass would have felt better if it covered all upcoming DLC (not much of a longshot, with its price tag), or at least had been very clear in its content from the start.
I certainly didn't expect my 3 skin packs day one.

Just wait until they show that the 4 map packs are just the 8 leftover U2 maps, reskinned. That'd be funny.

storl026 said:
Co-op arena is not fun at all on Wave 9 - 10. Spawns are nothing but heavies with shotties and super heavies with rail guns.

It's ridiculous that it doesn't even slow them down when you're unloading on their head, and every time you peek out to try to shoot one, his buddy is hitting you from the side. Can't blindfire because it isn't accurate enough. NOT FUN.

Gotta love their definition of a challenge: force the players to sit in an exposed little area and throw as many armored guys and brutes as the engine can handle. Co-op Arena on Crushing was very fun in U2; in U3 though... uughhh. LAME.

Just plain, boring, shit:

Kill the AI.
Kill the AI, but stay in this area.
Kill the AI and move this idol, too.

You'd think 10 straight rounds of Survival, Seige, or Gold Rush in U2 wouldn't be as fun as a mix of the three in U3, but... they're more fun.

I know one reason I don't find it as enjoyable is the removal of headshots. Also, the enemies just aren't as fun to fight. We need survival against the U1
Descendants
the U2
Guardians
and the U3
Ghost Riders.

Replicant said:

It works best when the fish rack is to the side of you and the guy you're fighting, anytime I pushed the guy against the table, it wouldn't work.

And the fish-hit only happens on the final blow.

Yagharek

Chapter 15 has really shown up to me how irritating the controls can be. I've never died as much in UC1/2 due to the controls as I have in this chapter. There are some cheap deaths to be had from bad telegraphing of where to jump to (when the default colour gold is replaced) and some scripted sequences that defy belief.

Broadly speaking - if I fall to the ground off a fixture point, I die. If I jump horizontally to the non-obvious point I'm meant to jump on, Drake falls from the same height, hits the ground harder, and survives.

And I really disliked the escape sequence. That is the very definition of trial and error, and the running controls for Drake seem quite unresponsive at times. Even more unwieldy than SoTC controls.

I do like the game, but for the first time in the series so far, feelings of frustration and disappointment are becoming common.

gibration

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Also, the enemies just aren't as fun to fight. We need survival against the U1
Descendants
the U2
Guardians
and the U3
Ghost Riders.
I agree with this 100%. Co-op definitely needs a wider variety of enemies to fight. At this state fighting the same generic enemies they have now is going to get old fast.

Raonak said:

Yea its awesome and scary as hell. You are climbing up to pull a guy off and he gets ready to kick you in the head, "AHHH! TRIANGLE!".

Also, I'm really disappointed in the sound design of this game. Its really lacking in a lot of parts. I was going into Enviroment modeling/design or character animation, but I'm thinking of switching to sound design... I feel like I'd be needed.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Charted! Crushing complete.

What a drag it was. Glad I don't have to play on Crushing ever again. Now I just need two more trophies for my platinum, which are Side Arm Master and Survivor. Woohoo.

Finalow

Rewrite said:

What a drag it was. Glad I don't have to play on Crushing ever again. Now I just need two more trophies for my platinum, which are Side Arm Master and Survivor. Woohoo.
i need survivor too, is there an easy way to do it? I don't know if something like ''do 3-4 times chapter 5'' works.
and for the crushing mode i'll wait the patch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RandomVince said:
Chapter 15 has really shown up to me how irritating the controls can be. I've never died as much in UC1/2 due to the controls as I have in this chapter. There are some cheap deaths to be had from bad telegraphing of where to jump to (when the default colour gold is replaced) and some scripted sequences that defy belief.

Broadly speaking - if I fall to the ground off a fixture point, I die. If I jump horizontally to the non-obvious point I'm meant to jump on, Drake falls from the same height, hits the ground harder, and survives.

And I really disliked the escape sequence. That is the very definition of trial and error, and the running controls for Drake seem quite unresponsive at times. Even more unwieldy than SoTC controls.

I do like the game, but for the first time in the series so far, feelings of frustration and disappointment are becoming common.
One of my biggest problems win the internal logic of this game, and by far the laziest design aspect of this game, is the wildly different heights Drake can fall from without dying. It bothers me intellectually more than it does when I'm playing, but man, it REALLY bother me when I think about it. It's like... man, they hit everything else so hard, surely they can do better.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about how Drake can sometimes fall from a giant height and be fine, and other times just die. Sometimes this survival is the result of a cutscene, but it isn't always.

Went from Chapter 13 through 17 or 18 last night. It's like one sort of slow game with a few plot holes but with great characters and dialog ended, and a new one began with even bigger plot holes, unavoidable and frustratingly long combat areas, characters whose actions and even existence don't make sense, and one of the most amazing sequences I've ever seen in any form of entertainment ever.

Yanksfan

Rewrite said:

After playing UC3 on Crushing, I don't think I will ever go back to another difficulty. It felt more 'right' to me. I thought the game was too easy on my 'Hard' playthrough, and I am not great at shooters. The fights were better with less button prompts coming on the screen, the enemies were tougher, but not overly so. I wish I could have played that right from the start.

Wowbagger

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Just wait until they show that the 4 map packs are just the 8 leftover U2 maps, reskinned. That'd be funny.

I'm thinking two old and one new map per pack. There's got to be more than just 2 maps per pack this time. Otherwise, the price they're charging for the club is a complete rip-off. Doesn't seem like I'm getting a discount at all here in Norway. :(

Co-op Arena on Crushing was very fun in U2; in U3 though... uughhh. LAME.

Co-op Arena didn't have difficulty levels in U2, did it?

I'm really enjoying the new arena mode, but it's silly how it takes more bursts from a G-MAL to finish off an armoured dude than it takes to remove his helmet.

Chaplain

Off-topic:

New Uncharted T-Shirt: Drake’s Lost City Tours

299859_2420473225205_1052646049_2733736_1996151510_n.jpg

http://www.gamerprint.co.uk/products/drake-s-lost-city-tours

Gyrian

RyanardoDaVinci said:

No doubt in my mind that we're in for this to at least some degree. The best U2 maps are still missing.

Great MP with U2, U3 GAF last night! For all the tweaks and issues alive in multi, it's still gobs of fun.
Except for the Tau Sniper, which makes me incredibly sad. It's not right for a gun that cool to suck so hard. A very disappointing final unlock for the sidearms.

I miss Elimination; hope it makes a return later on. Very tense, and it kills some of the tactics that you typically see in other modes. It's got a Counter-Strike like dynamic, which I <3.

jax (old)

Banned
COOP arena crushing mode. Scared of clowns? LOL @ the clown masks. very difficult. We only tried the airplane arena but got creamed. Finally beat every single adventure on hard. It is incredibly fun - my M9 was fully unlocked and I would aim at the heavies helmet; it'd come off real easy and then do melee. satisfying!

unlocked this bird like mask for talbot. haven't seen anyone else gaming using it. I like it.

And you know what else is incredibly fun. Co-op arena. And team objective.

And having played that much MP now; the aiming is just so fluid. Want to take this/that shot with this/that weapon? Not a problem. Honestly don't understand how they managed to have 2 different systems that differ that much btw the SP+MP game.

We still haven't had a melee only GAF match!

Wowbagger said:
Co-op Arena didn't have difficulty levels in U2, did it?

I'm really enjoying the new arena mode, but it's silly how it takes more bursts from a G-MAL to finish off an armoured dude than it takes to remove his helmet.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about Co-op Adventure.

Headshots against the AI need to be brought back. I understand removing them from the Hunters mode because no-one would play that if they got dropped in 1 bullet; but headshots need to be 1-hit-kills on all enemies except the Brute.

Their excuse is probably something like "We can't have 2 models for 2 different modes" or some BS; if that's the case, then shit-can Hunters Mode -- nobody plays it anyway. :p

Replicant

Rewrite said:

Crushing has been somewhat a mixed experience for me.

There are times when the fight is fun and challenging (ship graveyard, ship ballroom). In these fights, you know if you die it's your mistake because the battle actually allows you the breathing room to think and strategize.

And then there are the stupidly awful and badly designed battles (the last battle before the ship sinking, airport, settlement), where ND think that to make things challenging, they'll just throw 4 laser snipers each situated in front, back, left, and right while two shotgun and armored guys chasing after you while various other henchmen either flanking you or shooting from great height and far away from your position. And oh, just for fun, let's throw a guy with shield and machine gun and make sure players repeat wave 2 if he/she fails wave 3.

I don't know how I managed to pass that last battle inside the ship when I was practically attacked from all sides and I couldn't even move much because half of the room is flooded. Thankfully I didn't have to have similar crazy battle in Airport because I figured out how to do perfect stealth. Definitely not looking forward to settlement big fight though.

I actually had to look up the airport fight people have been talking about on Youtube because I couldn't remember anything like it. It turned out to be the one I just stealthed my way through on the first try. I didn't even realise extra guys spawned if you got seen, I really enjoyed sneaking around the place. I like the way the torches the enemies carry give away their position, it reminded me of the cones of vision you'd see on the Soliton Radar in MGS1 only overlaid on the game world.

Just charted on hard.

Had no problems with the aim, thankfully. I was a bit worried, but didn't noticed that much difference and it was a breeze getting headshots.
The armored guys were hella easy this time, they would always stop to throw grenades.
And while I haven't played on crushing yet, all the big battle rooms are filled with what's necessary, be it M32 Hammers, or grenades or T-Bolts.

Anyway, great game! Amazing settings (the desert wooow) and pretty cool characters this time.

EDIT:

Oh and MAJOR LOCATION SPOILER: Only thing that disappointed me is that
Ubar felt way too much like Shangrila for me :(

Oh gaf, I suck horribly at this game, I've actually died more in this than Dark Souls. Ended up downgrading myself to very easy bitch mode. I'm sure I wasn't ever that bad at U1 or 2. :/

C_H_T

Itchy//Tasty said:
Oh gaf, I suck horribly at this game, I've actually died more in this than Dark Souls. Ended up downgrading myself to very easy bitch mode. I'm sure I wasn't ever that bad at U1 or 2. :/

Did you got problems with aiming?

RDreamer

Itchy//Tasty said:

No offense to you, but I barely get how this is even possible. On normal I can dick around blind firing, punching dudes, and running around like an idiot and still not get killed. At least not get killed even remotely as much as I probably should while doing that. And it's funny that I still can't fathom it because I watched my friend play Uncharted 2 for a bit when he borrowed it and he had it on the easiest setting and was still dying. It was almost painful to watch. He couldn't aim, couldn't ever figure out where he was even getting shot from, barely used cover and couldn't really figure it out either, never rolled anywhere or anything. It was kind of hilarious.

Itchy//Tasty said:

It happened to me as well. I did much better in U2 than here. The aiming was so stiff :/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Itchy//Tasty said:

This game expects you to play a certain way, and that way might be different from how you approached UC1/2. In previous UC games you could usually pick a single cover point and dig in for a while, picking off enemies who were mostly in front of you. In UC3, you can do that, but you have to pick your cover point much more carefully.

Alternatively, moving from cover to cover more often, taking advantage of blindfire at medium-to-close range, running up on enemies while blindfiring and then finishing with melee, and throwing back enemy grenades all make things much easier, and that seems to be how ND wants you to play.

There's also the matter of learning the combat scenarios, which does take repeated trials, which can ruin the flow of the game. Once you know where the snipers are (and when they appear), where the shotgun heavies come from, and which enemies are weakest and easiest to pick off quickly, the whole thing becomes more manageable. You can form a plan instead of having to react to every enemy spawn or surprise flanking in the heat of the moment.

jett

D-Member
cutmeamango said:
Just charted on hard.

Had no problems with the aim, thankfully. I was a bit worried, but didn't noticed that much difference and it was a breeze getting headshots.
The armored guys were hella easy this time, they would always stop to throw grenades.
And while I haven't played on crushing yet, all the big battle rooms are filled with what's necessary, be it M32 Hammers, or grenades or T-Bolts.

Anyway, great game! Amazing settings (the desert wooow) and pretty cool characters this time.

EDIT:

Oh and MAJOR LOCATION SPOILER: Only thing that disappointed me is that
Ubar felt way too much like Shangrila for me :(

Heh, it was exactly like it, only smaller, shorter and less exciting and interesting.

Dibbz

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ok what the hell!? Why can't my brother, friend and I party up? Searching shows me this has been an issue since the summer beta. Any solutions?
Not sure I've had 0 problems getting into parties in U3.

Itchy//Tasty said:
I died 165 times in my first playthrough of UC3 on hard. You have to get used to dying in this game. Which astounds me how popular this series is considering the game mechanics aren't casual friendly on normal.

Top Bottom