• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

cackhyena said:
I'm gonna wait for the patch like a sane person before starting Crushing.

I saw a few people here say Crushing eliminates the auto-aim which is the major problem of the issue.

I'm going to wait too, not that it really matters for me though. I thought the aiming was just fine and easy to get used to. I'm interested in seeing if the rotational aiming is good enough for the next games. :D

RDreamer said:
No offense to you, but I barely get how this is even possible. On normal I can dick around blind firing, punching dudes, and running around like an idiot and still not get killed. At least not get killed even remotely as much as I probably should while doing that. And it's funny that I still can't fathom it because I watched my friend play Uncharted 2 for a bit when he borrowed it and he had it on the easiest setting and was still dying. It was almost painful to watch. He couldn't aim, couldn't ever figure out where he was even getting shot from, barely used cover and couldn't really figure it out either, never rolled anywhere or anything. It was kind of hilarious.

It mystifies me as well, I'm not even bad at games, but when it comes to U3 I'm like a toddler. The big stealth/gunfight in the boat scrapyard alone took me a couple of hours to get through on Normal because I died about fifteen times.

Still love the game though, but will be playing throught the rest on the easiest setting so I can enjoy the story and not constantly get stuck behind cover for twenty minutes waiting for a burly man to rape me with a shotgun.

I've got a friend who's unnaturally terrible at games as well. Gave him Shadow of the Colossus and from the beginning he misunderstood where the light was directing him and rode off in the wrong direction, until he got to the edge of the map. I came back into the room with two coffees wondering how the fuck he went so wrong (looking a bit like my avatar there). Later on I gave him Portal 2 and he couldn't figure out how to do the first puzzle room. He just stared abstractly at things and pressed up against them, jumping about like a retard. He's like the Karl Pilkington of gaming. I've never seen anything like it, but with U3 I HAVE BECOME HIM. D:

Maffis

Started playing right now. It's really great, but damnit if the wonky aiming isn't ruining the experience. I can't hit for shit.

hayejin

Just finished it.

It was really a MEH at most. Some levels were amazing but most of them felt like downgrade or on par with U2. Just snow replaced with sands. I thought U2 was amazing and it was leaps above from U1 but U3 just seems on par at most..

Good thing I got it on B2G1 sale at amazon. I really don't think this was worth full price.

RDreamer

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I saw a few people here say Crushing eliminates the auto-aim which is the major problem of the issue.

I'm going to wait too, not that it really matters for me though. I thought the aiming was just fine and easy to get used to. I'm interested in seeing if the rotational aiming is good enough for the next games. :D

I don't know about that. I played this at first on hard, and that doesn't have the auto aim thing either, and I still noticed that aiming was off. Whatever they have for the co-op is really what they need to change aiming to, I think. That feels great and responsive.

Melee in Crushing is so much better that I think ND really made a mistake not giving you the option to turn off the visual ques. They actually make the fights so much more difficult and unengaging cause all your looking for is the obnoxious triangle or circle button. The animations are distinct enough that it gives you all the visual ques you need.

Also one area that really shows to me how off the aiming is, is when
in the Chateau drakes foot gets stuck and you have to shoot the two guys. The acceleration of the aiming is so slow that getting it from one guy to the next is such a pain

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Chapters 12-13 are just completely ridiculous in what's accomplished there technically. Amazing looking altogther in any case.

Whole play area in these chapters is dynamically moving surfaces, basically, and you are jumping between those surfaces constantly.

Now that I look back at where the chapter 12 has started, it's simply staggering what you go through without seeing any kind of load screen, cutscene, or any kind of detectable transitional glitch when you move from one place to another, It makes similar location(s) in UC2 feel very quaint in comparison.

TripOpt55

BruceLeeRoy said:
Melee in Crushing is so much better that I think ND really made a mistake not giving you the option to turn off the visual ques. They actually make the fights so much more difficult and unengaging cause all your looking for is the obnoxious triangle or circle button. The animations are distinct enough that it gives you all the visual ques you need.
I completely agree. I wish I could have turned that off right after the first chapter. It really is a lot better without the prompts on Crushing. I mean I just generally hate prompts, but it really does feel better without them and I think it is plenty obvious when you need to hit which button, so that really wasn't an issue.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finished it last weekend and loved it.

The aiming is certainly off, but the game is spectacular. It felt tonally different from UC1 and UC2, and there were some great character moments as well.

For the most part, frustration with the aiming was minimal, with only a few sections that irked me, because I was failing through no lack of skill on my part, but from battling with the controls. The aiming issue was incredibly apparent when I fired up co-op with a friend, and it felt so much better and smoother.

I'm surprised at some of the story developments in the game
such as the lack of resolution for a lot of Drake and Sully's story, which, I suppose, leaves it open for a fourth installment at some point. I guess this generation is going longer than ND expected, so they can't just do 3 games, a Kart racer, then move to a new franchise on the new hardware. I think they are saving some character stuff for the next console Uncharted

I'll probably write up a review in a few days, after I let the game settle a bit, and put some time into the MP (I'm not a big MP fan, but I did enjoy UC2's co-op and competitive stuff, if anything because it felt very different from the standard shooter MP.). Good, good stuff though. Naughty Dog has proven, once again, that they simply know how to make the PS3 sing. They've always been excellent with working on PlayStation tech, ever since Crash on the PS1.

It was fun watching my friend play it for the first time and being able to sit back and take in all the insane detail and work the ND team put into the game's presentation. I don't think I've played any game that melds it's gameplay with it's cinematic presentation as well as the Uncharted series.

I've got a question for Arne or evangM if they're still following this thread.

I've been playing split-screen with my nephew today and while i'm glad that dual log-in is back for the retail version after being absent in the Subway beta, it seems that it isn't working properly. I've noticed mainly two issues so far:

- treasure drops that he picks up for me (or vice versa) simply vanish into thin air, since i don't seem to get anything from them. There is no pop-up, no treasure, no "just cash" medal, no anything.
- while his level progress is saving, his booster upgrading progress is not. He tried to upgrade "treasure hunter" and was two acquisition medals short of the silver level while playing alone on his account. After that we started playing split-screen on my account and even after he got the missing two medals, his booster remained on bronze, saying that he needs "0" acquisition medals to reach the next level. I tried switching accounts, so that he would be the host and tried upgrading my explosives expert booster. Sure enough, it didn't work. While i did get a pop-up during the match informing me of being one medal closer to my goal, i checked my loadout after the match and my booster progress remained at the exact number of medals it was before.

It seems as if upgrading boosters isn't possible for the player that signs in with the second account.
I'm happy that i can finally play split screen with my family and friends after having to take turns in Uncharted 2, but it's only half the fun if the second player's progress isn't being tracked properly.

I'm not following the ND forums closely, so i apologize if this has been brought up already, but it would be nice to get a heads up from ND regarding this issue and if it's being looked into.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Also one area that really shows to me how off the aiming is, is when
in the Chateau drakes foot gets stuck and you have to shoot the two guys. The acceleration of the aiming is so slow that getting it from one guy to the next is such a pain

I actually noticed that in normal, but the funny thing is is that
I merely chalked it up to the stress of the moment for Drake, getting his foot stuck, being shot at and the chateau on fire. I felt pretty immersed at that point lol.

Still, I'll definitely be holding off on my Crushing run until the patch comes out but aiming isn't really deterring me on my Very easy run at the moment.

Auron_Kale said:
I actually noticed that in normal, but the funny thing is is that
I merely chalked it up to the stress of the moment for Drake, getting his foot stuck, being shot at and the chateau on fire. I felt pretty immersed at that point lol.

Still, I'll definitely be holding off on my Crushing run until the patch comes out but aiming isn't really deterring me on my Very easy run at the moment.
Yeah I didn't notice it on hard the first time I played it either. It just perfectly shows how off it is thou. You have a Wes 44 one shot kill and just two guys that take up 20% of the screen and you die 5 times in a row.....what the heck

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I didn't notice it on hard the first time I played it either. It just perfectly shows how off it is thou. You have a Wes 44 one shot kill and just two guys that take up 20% of the screen and you die 5 times in a row.....what the heck
LOL, you too? I died at least 4 times there on hard. That's when I knew the aiming was off. I'm not that bad.

BruceLeeRoy said:

Yep! I thought I was a moron for dying 2-3 times in that spot - but I guess it was really off. The next time I noticed something slightly off was
during the citadel with the sniper rifle. It'd auto-aim but I'd totally miss the guy as the cursor would start dragging diagonally downward. I died so many times that I was getting frustrated lol.

Had no problems with the gunfights, aiming, platforming or anything gameplay related. Felt like an Uncharted game to me and if there are problems concerning gameplay, they in no way effected my ability to get through it (Played on Hard). Enjoyed the story as well, and the fact that I actually care for these characters says something about Amy Hennig's writing.

Levi

Banned
Are there any pix out there of the
donut Talbot
skin you get on your third legacy? I was kind of bummed after my first legacy, but that carrot is enough to get me to do it again. :)

Any new info on this aiming patch?

Please tell me they've at least said something about this in the past few days. At least confirm exactly what you're patching.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Forbes review (I had no idea all these mainstream magazines even had a game review sections)

Uncharted 3: A Near Perfect Videogame

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, the new Indiana Jones-inspired videogame from Sony’s Naughty Dog studio, takes its cliffhangers seriously…and quite often literally.

Loudninja

BruiserBear said:
Any new info on this aiming patch?

Please tell me they've at least said something about this in the past few days. At least confirm exactly what you're patching.
They going to tell us this week
And don't worry, we are still hard at work on a full featured patch with lots of changes and fixes to various issues. We hope to have more info on the next patch by the end of this week or the weekend. Thanks!
http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Multiplayer/Uncharted-3-Patch-1-01-is-now-live/td-p/646513

Sporran

have to say im smitten with this game. The music is something else and so has to be played on a surround sound its just gorgeous.

Will also say just reached Chap 14 on crushing and whilst a few mad moments the gameplay is soo much more fun. Im not suffering from the aiming issue well i dont think i am and progressing well.

Im actually enjoying treasure hunting :D

Anyone experiencing issues with the multiplayer right now? Was just about to get into a game when it got stuck on the loading - everyone had to exit to XMB. Now the screen just sits on "Connecting" when I try to access multiplayer.

I'm finally picking it up tonight. Even if it has issues with aiming I just loved the crap out of UC2. I am very impressed with the steps ND have taken to correct potential issues, I trust that they will fix any issues.

MuddyDonut said:
Had no problems with the gunfights, aiming, platforming or anything gameplay related. Felt like an Uncharted game to me and if there are problems concerning gameplay, they in no way effected my ability to get through it (Played on Hard). Enjoyed the story as well, and the fact that I actually care for these characters says something about Amy Hennig's writing.

It's because she actually likes games.

Danny-Boy

I'm up to chapter 4 and even though I'm loving it so far, the shooting has put me off. Why would they change the perfect mechanics from Uncharted 1 and 2? It's tough but I'm holding out for a patch, if it's longer than a week or two I'm diving straight back in.

Kogepan

FantasticMrFoxdie said:

I'm on Chapter 20 on crushing. I wouldn't worry about it too much if u already finished on hard since it doesn't feel TOO much harder. Even chapter 12/13/14 i was able to get through since I knew the enemy positions and was able to take alot more out by stealth before the firefights started.

Hello eveyrone .i just finished U3 ... i took my sweet time and i have to say that it was freaking incredible ....

It's totaly a shame that there was some sound issues on the cruise ship level for me , but other that that i just went to enjoy it ... i can't say that it's my GOTY but it's certainly a contender ...

jett

D-Member
noticed a bug/oversight while doing my treasure hunt: many times during the game it "forgets" to let you know you've reached a new chapter. weird.

Loudninja

Barkley's Justice said:
wow, the
rooftop getaway flashback in colombia
was the clumsiest gameplay experience i have played in a long, long time. shit was a major design fail.
Eh?That was fun and not clunky at all,I had no trouble with it at all.

Agent X

Loudninja said:
Eh?That was fun and not clunky at all,I had no trouble with it at all.

I had some trouble with one portion of that segment, where I died about 10 times because I wasn't quite sure where I was supposed to be going. I would say that was one of the lowest points in the game, and probably one of the scenarios Eurogamer's reviewer had in mind when he devised his review.

I completed the single-player game last night (on Normal difficulty), and overall I'd say the game was excellent!

Barkley's Justice said:
wow, the
rooftop getaway flashback in colombia
was the clumsiest gameplay experience i have played in a long, long time. shit was a major design fail.

I honestly failed 1 jump, where you have to swing on a light pole.

Maybe I'm just accostumed with Uncharted "jump on the last second" jumps.
I can't honestly remember one section where you have to measure the jump. You just have to be on the edge of whichever platform.

Loudninja

Agent X said:
I had some trouble with one portion of that segment, where I died about 10 times because I wasn't quite sure where I was supposed to be going. I would say that was one of the lowest points in the game, and probably one of the scenarios Eurogamer's reviewer had in mind when he devised his review.

I completed the single-player game last night (on Normal difficulty), and overall I'd say the game was excellent!
I disagree those 2 chapters were a very nice change of pace from the other Uncharted games.

cutmeamango said:
I honestly failed 1 jump, where you have to swing on a light pole.

Maybe I'm just accostumed with Uncharted "jump on the last second" jumps.
I can't honestly remember one section where you have to measure the jump. You just have to be on the edge of whichever platform.
Yep same with me I knew were to go, I only failed one jump.

rekameohs

Banned
Man, that
ship graveyard
sequence is SO FREAKING GOOD.

I love this series and Uncharted 3 keeps upping the ante with each chapter.

No_Style

Just finished it. (Played it on hard) I think it edges out UC2 by a small margin if only because they handled the
supernatural elements
and expanding their action repertoire.

The game has its issues with the
Columbia chase & other chases
, but I felt their net effect is a plus in grand scheme of things. I think it'll gel together very well in subsequent playthroughs where you know what to expect.

What are people's favorite battle sequences?

Mine has to be the
ship graveyard
. So many ways to approach it.

hayejin said:
Just finished it.

It was really a MEH at most. Some levels were amazing but most of them felt like downgrade or on par with U2. Just snow replaced with sands. I thought U2 was amazing and it was leaps above from U1 but U3 just seems on par at most..

Good thing I got it on B2G1 sale at amazon. I really don't think this was worth full price.
You felt it was on par with U2, but not worth the price of retail? I don't understand you people; U2 was a classic, yet U3 being merely as good means it's a failure?

Lightning

Banned
No_Style said:
Just finished it. (Played it on hard) I think it edges out UC2 by a small margin if only because they handled the
supernatural elements
and expanding their action repertoire.

The game has its issues with the
Columbia chase & other chases
, but I felt their net effect is a plus in grand scheme of things. I think it'll gel together very well in subsequent playthroughs where you know what to expect.

What are people's favorite battle sequences?

Mine has to be the
ship graveyard
. So many ways to approach it.
My favorite battle is the
sandstorm
battle from chapter 20. IMO it was the hardest fight but the one I got the most enjoyment out off. I recently replayed Uncharted 2 and I give the edge to Uncharted 3 as well. The only thing that drags Uncharted 3 down for me is that they cut all of the bonuses/extras out of the single player game and removed the cutscene viewer.

Fantastic game though, really really fantastic game. I doubt it will be my GOTY because Zelda is releasing but we'll see. It might though since I haven't played Skyward Sword yet...

Itchy//Tasty said:
It mystifies me as well, I'm not even bad at games, but when it comes to U3 I'm like a toddler. The big stealth/gunfight in the boat scrapyard alone took me a couple of hours to get through on Normal because I died about fifteen times.

I had the exact same problem you did, but throughout most of this chapter (13 I think?). I don't understand it, maybe I've just grown slow and clumsy since, er, well, Uncharted 2 which I was fine with! I was just constantly getting shit on at every turn, and was pretty embarrassed at how livid this part of the game made me. The game up until this point had been phenomenal and better than Uncharted 2 overall between plot/visuals/characters/action all balancing beautifully. This fucking boat graveyard section killed me inside (as well as in-game).

I'm definitely noticing the funky aiming problems, but I hesitate to blame that as the real issue is that it feels like I'm getting swarmed with grenade launchers and snipers and 10 dudes trouncing on my scrotum from all angles in every big firefight in the chapter. But, hell, maybe this is just where the real Uncharted 3 begins and I am now bad :S

rekameohs said:
Man, that
ship graveyard
sequence is SO FREAKING GOOD.

I love this series and Uncharted 3 keeps upping the ante with each chapter.

Just finished the game, and that might be my favourite bit in the whole game.
The water looked gorgeous and so did the half dismantled ships. I loved moving under water from boat to boat, melee killing enemies.

Top Bottom