• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Jubs

I keep getting booted off psn (error 8002AD23) whenever I try and join a competitive mp game. Sometimes I'm able to get into a game, but I'll get booted off 30 seconds in. Fucking irritating as hell. Online Co-op works fine, oddly enough. I popped in MAG to test things out, and I was able to join and play a game just fine. Some weird shit with the competitive mp. Does anyone know what's causing this?

Both beta phases worked fine. Last week it was working fine. Problem just cropped up recently.

I finally got a chance to start and am only on chapter 4, but I really forgot how much I just enjoy the characters and atmosphere of this series. I'm sure there are issues here and there along the way. Starting up I was worried about it losing that spark 2 had for me and I'm totally back in again. I'm happy about that.

The music is fantastic, as was just mentioned.

deepbrown

hayejin said:
Just finished it.

It was really a MEH at most. Some levels were amazing but most of them felt like downgrade or on par with U2. Just snow replaced with sands. I thought U2 was amazing and it was leaps above from U1 but U3 just seems on par at most..

Good thing I got it on B2G1 sale at amazon. I really don't think this was worth full price.
Hate to fall for a troll. But your last sentence is disgusting. Whether a game is what you want or not has nothing to do with whether it's worth full price. Uh, quite gaming already.

deepbrown

Ooh thought I'd mention this considering I complained about it during the last two games. Thank you Naughty Dog for making the treasures real-world objects and not just a flashing light! =)

Jubs said:
I keep getting booted off psn (error 8002AD23) whenever I try and join a competitive mp game. Sometimes I'm able to get into a game, but I'll get booted off 30 seconds in. Fucking irritating as hell. Online Co-op works fine, oddly enough. I popped in MAG to test things out, and I was able to join and play a game just fine. Some weird shit with the competitive mp. Does anyone know what's causing this?

Both beta phases worked fine. Last week it was working fine. Problem just cropped up recently.

Yep. I ragequit last night because I kept getting these errors and got fed up with it.

spats

I did this comic book Drake today, thought I'd share for fun.

comicdrake3.jpg

Replicant

Charted - Crushing.

There. I must be fucking nuts because that contained some of the most frustrating battles I ever experienced. Oh well, I finished it. Part of me did wonder what it'd be like if the control was smoother but apart from cleaning up the rest of the trophies to get Platinum, I'm not in a hurry to play it all again.

WTF is up with the long range shooting in Uncharted 3?

the long range shooting is worse than Uncharted 1...

i'm at Chapter 9 and so far I prefer UC2 way more because it hate more medium range reasonable ranges during fire fights

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
deepbrown said:
Ooh thought I'd mention this considering I complained about it during the last two games. Thank you Naughty Dog for making the treasures real-world objects and not just a flashing light! =)

I also love that touch. Although I find it amusing that Drake still has time to snag some shiny goody while going on this rip-roaring adventure. My wife has been helping me spot them while I'm replaying the game and collecting the ones I missed first time around.

CrankyJay

Banned
This game feels rushed to me...it has frozen on me 3 times in the past day, and the editing seems weird.

I'll be in the middle of a cut scene and the screen will turn black with the loading symbol. The transitions aren't smooth at all.

However...they made
Elena way fucking hotter than I remember than in previous games.

Has ND addressed the lag everyone complained about in single player?

I have U3 and Batman sealed and trying to decide which one to crack open first.

gutter_trash said:
WTF is up with the long range shooting in Uncharted 3?

the long range shooting is worse than Uncharted 1...

i'm at Chapter 9 and so far I prefer UC2 way more because it hate more medium range reasonable ranges during fire fights

What guns are you using because the AK47 was purposely made inaccurate at long range this time around?

I started playing this 2 days ago... haven't really played a lot because I'm busy with other things and also want to really enjoy the game.
But I'm already at chapter 6!!!! at least the first chapters seem to be very short, I hope the later ones are longer (I think 5 was a bit longer though)

bob page

I just got to chapter 12 and the game is definitely getting a lot better. I honestly wasn't enjoying myself up to chapter 9 but it seems like it's picking up and feeling more like UC2 now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy shit @ ship section. In fact whole Ch12-Ch15 segment. How in the hell did they make all this work.

Also, past that cutscene that introduced her, Elena looks completely normal afterward. What happened there? Awkward lighting or something in the section where she first shows up?

deepbrown

victormartin said:
I started playing this 2 days ago... haven't really played a lot because I'm busy with other things and also want to really enjoy the game.
But I'm already at chapter 6!!!! at least the first chapters seem to be very short, I hope the later ones are longer (I think 5 was a bit longer though)
You're about half way through.

Joke!

bob page

Lord Error said:
Holy shit @ ship section. In fact whole Ch12-Ch15 segment. How in the hell did they make all this work.

Also, past that cutscene that introduced her, Elena looks completely normal afterward. What happened there? Awkward lighting or something in the section where she first shows up?
Yeah that whole airport cutscene looked terrible. Definitely less polish overall in the graphics. Nate and Sully look fantastic, though.

RDreamer

Beat it on Crushing. Not too hard. I think this was probably the easiest of the 3 on crushing, actually. There were a few spots where you have to be really accurate quickly, but it wasn't that terrible.

BPK

In multiplayer are opponents still bullet sponges? I'm a huge UC2 fan, but that was one thing about the Subway beta that turned me off: it seemed to take so many bullets to bring somebody down.

As well, any chance of some free DLC since the new maps are so few?

mr. puppy

Banned
wow i love in this shitty game when you're fighting a ton of people and you want to hide behind cover, you push circle and you end up grappling with somebody and dying. its really really well designed.

Dibbz

mr. puppy said:
wow i love in this shitty game when you're fighting a ton of people and you want to hide behind cover, you push circle and you end up grappling with somebody and dying. its really really well designed.
If you are close enough to grab someone I really doubt standing against a wall is going to help you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mr. puppy said:
You only grapple when you're in the fist fighting stance. Just make sure that you point the control stick away from the guy you're near and you'll roll as usual. I never had a problem with accidentally grappling.

mr. puppy

Banned
Dibbz said:
If you are close enough to grab someone I really doubt standing against a wall is going to help you.
not when you're fighting the fire demons that teleport around and you're on hard mode

cackhyena

mr. puppy said:
Suck less?

Just finished not too long ago. Overall, I thought it was good. A generous 8/10 whereas I gave Uncharted 2 10/10.

Just a few problems for me. The story didn't really offer too much to feel.
Drake's origin
, cool. But the sense of enthusiasm for the journey was a bit off. There wasn't a drive present like there was in UC1 and 2. UC1, the whole idea of getting there before the rich/powerful/greedy man was fresh and exciting. Introduction to awesome characters. The chemistry between the characters and cuteness of Elena. Don't forget about Eddy Raja. And then in UC2, the villain was truly menacing general/warlord which was an update from a greedy/powerful/rich man. A tremendous change of atmosphere. More awesome/hot/asshole characters introduced. You were excited to know what was gonna happen next. In UC3 the attitude is more you don't really care as much for what happens next. I feel like it lingered too much and
too awkwardly on the relationship with Drake and Sully
. It seemed unnecessary. The main villains in UC3 weren't really menacing. I was expecting the witch to be a sort of a tactician who'd always be several steps ahead. But she was more one dimensional along with her errand boy who also felt one dimensional.

Enjoyed the
history of Drake's past
, however. Wait, actually.. I didn't like it that much. That too I found unnecessary. But interesting enough in contrast to some other aspects in the game.
Young Sully
looking sharp as fuck. Also, the
ghost rider
goons were fucking awesome.
Salim and his group were cool as well
. I wish
the entire team of Drake/Sully/Elena/Chloe/Charlie followed through the rest of the adventure.

Purexed

Banned
Just finished off U3 myself. Definitely a notch below U2 because I felt like the last few chapters were littered with so many bullshit sequences designed to kill you from trial and error. Also, the accuracy on the AI throwing grenades and shooting from grenade launchers was so skewed, especially with the aiming being so bad in single player. If there is a next Uncharted, please fix the steriod burly guys that can take 3 shotgun blows to the chest while continuing walking through them. Kills the immersion factor big time.

Solid 8/10, IGN was smoking some good shit when they rated this a 10/10 with all it's problems. Maybe I'll give it a second spin when the patch to fix the controls go live. Off to MW3!

Yeah I would have to agree.

The graphics? Best in a game I have seen. U2 matched it in places, but U3 was much more consistent. The music, voice acting etc? Top notch.

No complaints there.

The game-play felt a lot more like U1. Here is a big empty room, now face a few waves of enemies. U2 felt a lot more staged and strategic. If enemies were going to burst in, they did so on the back of a truck which you could position yourself and plan for given a bit of knowledge (or straight out luck to create awesome moments). I enjoyed this approach a lot more.

The good news? It gives them somewhere to go with U4.

Just finished on Crushing. Damn, that is hard. Some levels, like those
Djinn guys
are relentless.

There was a level deep in the bowels of the cruise ship where I finished it by getting stuck inside a crate somehow. Very odd. I couldn't shoot the enemies and they couldn't shoot me. They just walked around the crate until the ship capsized.

Great game . . . but for some reason I liked Uncharted 2 a bit more. At least this one didn't have the mad grenade thrower at the end like that one.

mr. puppy said:
Meh. That happens with overloaded controls. I hit circle many times wanting to roll but instead I stick to a wall . . . a wall that does not provide cover.

rekameohs said:
Man, that
ship graveyard
sequence is SO FREAKING GOOD.

I love this series and Uncharted 3 keeps upping the ante with each chapter.
Yeah, that whole sequence was my favorite. Reminded me of playing 'dock tag' when I was a kind.

Atrus

Gold Member
speculawyer said:
Meh. That happens with overloaded controls. I hit circle many times wanting to roll but instead I stick to a wall . . . a wall that does not provide cover.

It's not so much the controls as the level layout and the priority assigned to things. For instance, if a grenade lands near you and there's a pile of weapons Drake should prioritize throwing it back if you press triangle rather than changing weapons.

I've also found a slight delay in the response times as well. In Uncharted 1 and 2, I can circle roll and pick up weapons without missing a beat in single player but in 3 there's a bit of a delay in response time and I have ended up missing.

Uncharted 1 had the most open arenas of the 3 and I had no problems getting behind the cover I wanted 2. In UC2, there were only sporadic areas but again the arenas were quite wide in a few areas. In UC3, you have very few options and many more tight spots to maneuver around.

Multiplayer complaint:

I wish they would give a full color range for clothing based on RGB bars. It's possible since the colors are RGB based (i remember a glitch on the first beta that allowed me to have an orange shirt).

I really want to love it, but these sudden restrictions, I dont like em. At least make it like emblems...

blitzcloud said:
Multiplayer complaint:

I wish they would give a full color range for clothing based on RGB bars. It's possible since the colors are RGB based (i remember a glitch on the first beta that allowed me to have an orange shirt).

I really want to love it, but these sudden restrictions, I dont like em. At least make it like emblems...

The part I don't like is because of the lighting in the lobby screen for certain maps, you can't tell wtf color your clothes are gonna turn out to be.

patsu

Co-op Adventure is like the U2 co-op but bigger, more dynamic, tougher, and more variety.

Co-op Arena pitches 2 players in a variety of scenarios.

I much prefer the Adventure mode.

speculawyer said:
Djinn guys
are relentless.

There was a level deep in the bowels of the cruise ship where I finished it by getting stuck inside a crate somehow. Very odd. I couldn't shoot the enemies and they couldn't shoot me. They just walked around the crate until the ship capsized.

Great game . . . but for some reason I liked Uncharted 2 a bit more. At least this one didn't have the mad grenade thrower at the end like that one.
Spoilers dude. Fix it.

Rickard said:
Especially considering
he fell among the wreckage of a SUPPLY DROP. Water's a supply. Instead he grabs a fucking gun.

Fucking ludicrous.
Yeah, I don't get that. And then when he gets to that settlement
the water is 'undrinkable' . . . he should just go ahead and die. Instead he becomes uberman and kills off wave after wave of enemies despite not having had a drink of water for days. Just give the guy a fucking drink of water! Sheesh.

Dr.Acula

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I don't get that. And then when he gets to that settlement
the water is 'undrinkable' . . . he should just go ahead and die. Instead he becomes uberman and kills off wave after wave of enemies despite not having had a drink of water for days. Just give the guy a fucking drink of water! Sheesh.

I thought that was pretty unrealistic too. It's not as if they couldn't have
Drake recover, like how he recovered after the boat sequence.

Replicant

speculawyer said:
Djinn
guys are relentless.

Those two levels were awfully designed on Crushing. They are almost impossible to do and defeating them seem to rely on fast reflex and luck. They are as bad as the Airport level except that the Airport battle (2 crazy shotgunners + 2 laser snipers at small enclosed space) is avoidable if you can do the stealth correctly.

With the bowel of the ship, if you fail the 3rd wave, you're back with 2nd wave, that has an annoyingly accurate goon shooting from the top and soaks bullet like sponge. Then there's the usual crazy 2 shotgunners with body armor. My tactic went like this: prior to this encounter, make sure you spare at least a shotgun with 6 bullets, 2 grenades, and a long-range mini gun. I had a Magnum as mini gun so that helped tremendously.

When the battle start, shoot the guy in front of you with mini gun, then shoot the guy on the top platform ACCURATELY or you have no chance at all to defeat this sequence. Quickly throw 1 grenade at shotgun guy. Then use shotgun to drop him dead. Next defeat the guy with steel armor carrying the machine gun. Shoot his armor with shotgun and when he drops down and shows his head, ACCURATELY shoots his head.

As soon as the enemies in front of you are all dead, quickly run to the other side of the crate, taking shotgun bullets left by the dead guys and a new mini gun. Be careful because by now the laser guys will start aiming from behind you. Hide behind the crate and hang from them and shoot the 2 laser snipers now standing on a platform behind you (well, in front of you now). You have to be crazy accurate and fast or else, the new shotgun guy will come after you by now. Don't engage him. Just move to the right side of the crate, hang from it, and shoot the other henchman. Then quickly JUMP over the crate (don't stay around because a sniper will soon show up behind you), running back to your original cover position and face the shotgunner + sniper from there.

What happens now involve a really fast reflex and luck because you have no idea if one of the henchmen will drop down behind you like Ninja or not. You can try to make sure he doesn't sneak behind you but with another 2 laser snipers aiming at you, it's understandable why this scenario is almost impossible on Crushing. Quickly kill the shotgun guy with the last grenade or mini gun if you haven't drop him dead. Watch out for the top left corner of the room, and you may or may not see a fucker trying to run on the top ledge towards where you are. Shoot him dead before he arrives at his destination (your original cover). And shoot the snipers on the front platform if you see one.

Your position behind this crate is no longer safe at this point because another laser sniper will move towards right hand position so you should move to the crate near the area that almost capsized. If you're lucky, this is when a weird bug happens: the water will start to rise and capsized and swallow you, covering you from the laser sniper's shoot (but you can't shoot at him either). All of a sudden, you're drown and the next thing you know, you're transported to an empty area where the sniper is no longer around. Phew, you just survived an awfully designed level based on bug and dumb luck.

As for the
Djinn
guys
, as usual always always carry a shotgun with you before the encounter. In the 1st encounter, quickly alternate your shotgun with a Rocket launcher on the top platform. Fry those fuckers (there are 3-4 IIRC) then if you run out of Rocket launcher, run to one of the windows because there's a hammer with 6 rounds there.

If you managed to dispatch them, there'll be 3-4 more coming via the lifts. Aim your mini gun (I had a magnum), fire at his face then give him more Rocket. On the top left corner from the lift, another fucker is hiding. Give him hammer/rocket love. Move around the lift and you should find hopefully the last one skulking around. Hopefully you still have two shots of hammer and are accurate with mini gun to dispatch him.

With the 2nd and 3rd encounter, again, make sure you find more hammer before the encounter. Then spam the bejeezus out of them at least and there should be at least 6 more Hammer for your final and most frustrating battle with these fuckers. When the final battle starts, run away from the fountain. Cross your finger that you avoid their shots before arriving at the back pillar. From here on it's quick reflex + luck + hammer/rocket fiesta.

Quickly look in front of you, usually a fucker is skulking around trying to get a shot at you. Give him a taste of your mini gun then hammer the living crap out of him. If you're lucky, you'd accidentally take out his 2 friends who are also there with him. Then look behind you (or at the direction of the fountain), a few more will try to flank you. Introduce them to your best friend, Mr. Hammer a few more times. By this time you will have run out of Hammer. But your next best friend, Mr. Rocket launcher is not far from you. Use the 3 ammo carefully.

By this stage, you should be on the 2nd wave but if you die in the 2nd wave, thanks to ND's ingenue design decision, you're back at 1st wave. So don't die or you'll kick yourself silly. The back pillar is still the best area to hide providing you move from right to left pillars in succession. There is this one guy who'll try to flank you from behind. If you're on the left pillar, quickly move to right because he'll sure be behind you now. Then after shooting him once from right pillar, move to the left, because he sure will haunt your ass from behind the right pillar. And then I think there is 1 more guy left but as long as you're careful, he should be easily dispatched with your remaining rocket launcher. There's also another Hammer on the far left side of the fountain if you need more ammo.

storl026

BPK said:
In multiplayer are opponents still bullet sponges? I'm a huge UC2 fan, but that was one thing about the Subway beta that turned me off: it seemed to take so many bullets to bring somebody down.

As well, any chance of some free DLC since the new maps are so few?

Yes, multiplayer enemies are still bullet sponges, as compared to Modern Warfare 3. The game is designed to be that way. And I would say there is almost no chance of free DLC.

btkadams

i played online for a couple hours today. so much fun. i'm way more impressed than i thought i would be. it's so much more satisfying to play a shooting game that is so vertical.

Just finished first run through the game (Hard).

If Uncharted 1 was a 9, and Uncharted 2 was a 10, this is a 7. Far too many annoying, clumsy moments in this one to rate any higher. Also, despite some of the environments and gameplay being STUNNING, there were more parts of the game which average or below average, like the entire first half of the game. I still can't believe how weak the game started, WHAT THE FUCK was the pub fight shit in London? Awful.

I think ND now need to take a break from the series, give its ass a little kick and come back next-gen with another stunner or maybe something entirely new.

Replicant said:
As for the
Djinn
guys
, as usual always always carry a shotgun with you before the encounter.
no matter your difficulty as long as it's above or equal to normal ) this is the best tactic.
Kill 2 quickly to have more time to evade the "grenades" they throw ....

BUt i hate that they spawn you in the middle of the area (in front of the fountain ).no matter what you do , your life will go down before you can take cover. i hated that.

Drac

Just finished it, my god T_T Dat water, dat desert and dat canyon in 3d, all over my eyes!
The boat hall on its side with the big window about to crack open with all the water behind was just ridiculously good looking.
Not sure I'm going in right away for my crushing run though, some levels (
djinn
) were hard enough on normal.

As for people complaining about the aim, when i first started playing i definitely felt something was off, then I went playing some multi player matches where everything was okay and from there I had no problem with the aiming in singleplayer, kind of strange...

KennyLinder said:
Just finished first run through the game (Hard).

If Uncharted 1 was a 9, and Uncharted 2 was a 10, this is a 7. Far too many annoying, clumsy moments in this one to rate any higher. Also, despite some of the environments and gameplay being STUNNING, there were more parts of the game which average or below average, like the entire first half of the game. I still can't believe how weak the game started, WHAT THE FUCK was the pub fight shit in London? Awful.

I think ND now need to take a break from the series, give its ass a little kick and come back next-gen with another stunner or maybe something entirely new.

I love the pub fight opening, showed it to my friend who don't play Uncharted and he ask if that's really gameplay (of course since I was playing it and know all about the animation, I can stage it to make it look as good as possible like getting hit a couple time on purpose, push enemy on purpose to kitchen counter so I slapped him with a fish etc. :p)

Replicant said:
With the bowel of the ship, if you fail the 3rd wave, you're back with 2nd wave, that has an annoyingly accurate goon shooting from the top and soaks bullet like sponge. Then there's the usual crazy 2 shotgunners with body armor. My tactic went like this: prior to this encounter, make sure you spare at least a shotgun with 6 bullets, 2 grenades, and a long-range mini gun. I had a Magnum as mini gun so that helped tremendously.
I only had 1 grenade. I could wipe out the first wave, and the second wave, but in that third wave, they come from everywhere. There was no safe place. I was quite happy to get stuck in the crate and have that level mercifully end.

Replicant said:
As for the
Djinn
guys
, as usual always always carry a shotgun with you before the encounter. In the 1st encounter, quickly alternate your shotgun with a Rocket launcher on the top platform. Fry those fuckers (there are 3-4 IIRC) then if you run out of Rocket launcher, run to one of the windows because there's a hammer with 6 rounds there.
It was that last encounter with them. They are shooting like crazy and you have to dispatch a fair number of them. I used a hammer I brought in, the RPG, and a Tau sniper (or some other powerful handgun). I basically used up my hammer and ran to the left to get the RPG. The sequence is probably only a minute or so long but it took me many many tries.

Top Bottom