• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

consoul

AstroLad said:
Just starting this game . . . anyone have issues with the 3D? I have no problems with the Arkham 3D but in certain scenes I get a ton of ghosting on the characters in this game. Almost to the point where I have to turn the effect way down. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Playing on a VT25.
You probably already know this, but the ghosting you're seeing in Uncharted 3 is a product of your TV, not the game. I've been playing it on a 3D DLP-Link projector and there's no ghosting whatsoever. Uncharted 3 has a lot of scenes with high-contrast lighting which many 3DTVs will have trouble displaying without ghosting. Batman:AC's visuals are much lower contrast (and its 3D is not truly rendering two distinct viewpoints) so it's less likely to produce ghosting on 3DTVs.

For U3, you could try turning down the contrast on your TV to see if that helps reduce the ghosting. Another thing I've noticed with active shutter glasses is that sometimes their blackout is more effective at the top or bottom of the lens. Try adjusting the position of the glasses on your face so you're looking through the upper or lower part of the lens. Typically the lower part will blackout more effectively which can make the ghosting less noticeable.

Cruzader

Banned
Im sure it's the makeup on Elena that makes her look weird. She had barely anything on past games. Anyways she looks like she matured more on U3. So seems ND hit that spot sans the facial expressions.

Just completed the whole
horse riding/blowing everything up
segment. It was good for a semi-on-rails set-piece, but it was still a bit lame.

One thing that has become more apparent (unfortunately) is the inherent "cheapness" of most of the major gunfights. 3 guys with pistoles on the ground, 3 guys with armour and shotguns on the approach, snipers and a Hammer up above...

I've lost count of the amount of times where I've been forced into fisticuffs with a heavy goon, suffered through some button-mashing and eventually killed the bastard only to go instantly limp from one of the many zig-zagging laser sights above me. It's incredibly frustrating. Not to mention, spawning and dying instantly at the hands of a stupidly accurate Hammer goon really doesn't do anything for me either.

Very rarely does a death feel warranted and deserved in this game. And this is on NORMAL, for Christ's sake. AND I'm no slouch at shooters. From memory, UC2 on Crushing was more tolerable than this.

I hate to say it, but UC3 = a chore to play.

jax (old)

Banned
mickcenary said:
Just completed the whole
horse riding/blowing everything up
segment. It was good for a semi-on-rails set-piece, but it was still a bit lame.

One thing that has become more apparent (unfortunately) is the inherent "cheapness" of most of the major gunfights. 3 guys with pistoles on the ground, 3 guys with armour and shotguns on the approach, snipers and a Hammer up above...

I've lost count of the amount of times where I've been forced into fisticuffs with a heavy goon, suffered through some button-mashing and eventually killed the bastard only to go instantly limp from one of the many zig-zagging laser sights above me. It's incredibly frustrating. Not to mention, spawning and dying instantly at the hands of a stupidly accurate Hammer goon really doesn't do anything for me either.

Very rarely does a death feel warranted and deserved in this game. And this is on NORMAL, for Christ's sake. AND I'm no slouch at shooters. From memory, UC2 on Crushing was more tolerable than this.

You roll when theres a laser sight. If you got sniped, it's pretty much your fault.

ghibli99

Finished this today.

As disappointed as I was with the combat in this game (borked aiming and a repetitive melee system), the game still pleases with some incredibly well done action sequences, massively detailed environments, and a solid story that stayed a bit more grounded in reality this time.

Uncharted 2 had one of the worst final boss battles ever (one of my few criticisms about that game), so I'm glad they didn't repeat that here, although this one was way too simplistic. The ending, although short, was still good. I also have to point out the music, which is just fantastic, and some of the tech they have going on here is insane.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. It had a lot to live up to in the wake of UC2, and it mostly delivered.

deepbrown

I think Elena looks really good, in fact all the character models too.

Sometimes the lighting was so harsh on them that they looked weird, and Elena came off worst. Otherwise, just fine. In fact, Drake is looking his best ;)

In fact, thank god there were no glowing eyes! They got the eyes just right in UC3, and that's no mean feat. That's bloody tough.

Jax said:
You roll when theres a laser sight. If you got sniped, it's pretty much your fault.

Understood, but sometimes it's not feasible, either due to the game's mechanics simply not letting me roll away or being surrounded. It "feels" cheap, no matter how you cut it.

Ricky_R

hahah I just noticed something fooling around in the last chapter. Someone please try it and let me know if it does the same thing to any of you.

When you encounter Sully after been drugged by the water, you move along a bit and you reach a room with a large Cobra statue. Then you jump down and you reach an area with stairs where there's water coming out and running down in the centre. I rolled in the water just to see if Drake could get wet on that spot and he ended up with sand all over his face and head instead of water. Apparently it triggers the wrong effect. :D

Maybe it won't happen if I start that chapter again, but I thought it was funny.

ghibli99 said:
Finished this today.

As disappointed as I was with the combat in this game (borked aiming and a repetitive melee system), the game still pleases with some incredibly well done action sequences, massively detailed environments, and a solid story that stayed a bit more grounded in reality this time.

Uncharted 2 had one of the worst final boss battles ever (one of my few criticisms about that game), so I'm glad they didn't repeat that here, although this one was way too simplistic. The ending, although short, was still good. I also have to point out the music, which is just fantastic, and some of the tech they have going on here is insane.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. It had a lot to live up to in the wake of UC2, and it mostly delivered.

Finished the game yesterday and I agree with this 100 percent.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, Elena looks more Asian, but I almost thought they were trying to make her look more like Marlowe. Like a BIG SUPER SECRET TWIST is coming that I haven't played to yet!

I'm through Chapter 10, and I think the game has been really super awesome so far. But I like the slower paced walking around stuff and I think the gunfights have been really good. Big huge arenas too.

Ricky_R

Y2Kev said:
Yeah, Elena looks more Asian, but I almost thought they were trying to make her look more like Marlowe. Like a BIG SUPER SECRET TWIST is coming that I haven't played to yet!

I'm through Chapter 10, and I think the game has been really super awesome so far. But I like the slower paced walking around stuff and I think the gunfights have been really good. Big huge arenas too.

Wait till you reach chapter 12... Also, the game gets more action packed pretty soon and leaves the cool slow paced stuff behind, but I guess there was no choice because of the plot getting more intense and shit.

Still, the game is amazing.

i come back from the Airport Chapter 5 co-op ( hard mode ).

I really don't know what is in store for crushing but seriously .. this level need teamwork to the extreme. Syria ( chapter 4 ) was tolerable but heck .. i didn't think they would do worse than monastery ( still hard mode ).

I agree that airport is pretty epic when played with the right people but there are many place where the game almost becomes cheap . 5 snipers, 3 brutes , and 4 normal guys .. and that's just the first wave ? narrow alleys were shotguns ARE SERIOUSLY hurting you ?

BUt it was hard so was mentally prepared reaching the top of the first hangar , 4 turrets, an army of shotguns brutes... ennemy that ALWAYS drop grenades when killed at close range.

WHY NOT ?i was still feelign the thrill of the fight at this moment ...and then next area arrived ..2 guys , bullets sponges to the extreme , impossible to snipe ( they need at least 7 snipers shots to die ) because they launch roquets at you. death if they hit you , very wounded if you're in cover and then the second roquet comes ( because they are 2 ). Meanwhile , 20 secondes after the roquet spammer arrives , you get 2 shields guys from behind ( you can't kill the roquets guys at this point , no matter what you do ) so you're trying to evade them .. and then "roquets ! " Those can see you , 2 roquets in a row ..and this mean death . For the shield guys , 1 grenade does often the trick. BUt after 45 seconds ... REINFORCEMENTS !!! More shields guys , more shotgun brutes guys .

You don't know how many times i've died at this point this afternoon ... it's surreal .Don't go on chapter 5 Co-OP unprepared on HARD ...the game will teach you a lesson.

Finnally , last scene, final showdown i died during a pincer attack between eddy and flynn .. the game is awesome .. but dammit hard is hard ...airport is unforgiving...

Monastery ( hard ) final part was something .. but airport ??my mind is blow. ( literraly )

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also, how did they change Drake? He looks the same to me. Dreamy as ever, of course.

It's not fair that he's the everyman. Most men look like Charlie, lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
Also, how did they change Drake? He looks the same to me. Dreamy as ever, of course.

The only change is that he no longer has the enormous chin he had in 2. You can't see it head on but from the side his chin was almost Leno sized in 2. I honestly cannot see any difference in Chloe aside from the different hair and I like Elena better in this.

Y2Kev said:

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Chapter 12. My favorite Uncharted chapter.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Y2Kev said:

They made him more realistic, imo. Which is great :D

Ricky_R

Cudder said:
This rotating earth puzzle is taking me far longer than it should be, lol

It might help knowing that you can use the right stick too, so you can align it with the light properly and easily.

I made it the first time without using the right stick (didn't know I had to use it) and it was a pain.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ricky_R said:
It might help knowing that you can use the right stick too, so you can align it with the light properly and easily.

I made it the first time without using the right stick (didn't know I had to use it) and it was a pain.
I had no idea you could even use the left stick for that. I just intuitively used the right stick. It took 10 seconds.

Ricky_R

Cudder said:

Just move the left analog until you find a spot which looks like it's the correct one. Once you find it, use the right analog to align it.

RoboPlato said:
I had no idea you could even use the left stick for that. I just intuitively used the right stick. It took 10 seconds.

haha well... I was using only the left one like a maniac.

Guzim

I just got the platinum trophy for this. Some parts were extremely hard on crushing, but once I passed them, it was extremely satisfying.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm finding the Kills/Games/Medals mission system to be really stupid. For whatever reason, it continues to count down during the long lobby waits, and even if when you are not in the game (ie back out in the XMB or shut the system off). On top of that your progress gets lost if something lousy happens with a disconnect, but the timer keeps going.

And it has the same negative effect on Objective games that was seen in Halo Reach and Black Ops. They should just tie to winning X out of Y games instead of what they have now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Guzim said:
I just got the platinum trophy for this. Some parts were extremely hard on crushing, but once I passed them, it was extremely satisfying.
Doing this now. So far it has been pretty easy. I thought UC1 was the hardest one.

Kogepan

Jax said:

THIS.

Why do people keep whining about the difficulty? If its such a chore why don't people take it down a notch if its affecting their ability to enjoy the game.

I just platinumed 3 and it was by far the easiest of the three games in terms of difficulty quite frankly. people seem to forget the fcking nazi zombies in uc1, and the goddamn final boss battle in uc2. I'll take a couple of laser snipers ANY TIME in comparison.

iLLmAtlc

Has anyone managed to complete the treasure set to get Doughnut Drake yet? I've been reading online that it's pretty much been impossible to complete.

Cruzader

Banned
Y2Kev said:

His facial structure is improved. And looks more realistic. He seems, I don't know how to say, perfect. The past models have looked cartooney like. This one looks like an actual render I've seen floating on the net. Since ND got the eyes right, all the models have improved tremendously. Chloe looks like a different person and improved unlike some think she is ugly. She was ugly on U2.

Jett get in here and do picture comparisons, nao! Lol

Angelcurio

I finally finished it yesterday, was playing it on hard and i actually think that it's definitely the easiest of the 3 games. The game is extremely good, but i found out the final boss a little bit too simplistic and the ending was on the short side. Also, i didn't like that contrary to past games, this time you don't get to unlock weapons and infinite ammo (at least i couldn't find the option).

All the water based levels look stunning, same with the level with the burning house, definitely some of the best if not the best graphics i have seen in a console game. One of the downsides i found with the game is that there are too many invisible walls, you can see places that you would think you could reach, only to find out an invisible wall forcing you to head in the direction decided by the developers, and sadly that happened to me too many times.

Regarding the hand to hand combat, i really enjoyed it a lot. The move set was a little bit on the short side, so after a few chapters the moves would feel a little bit repetitive, same with the big tough guy you get to fight in at least half of the levels. Besides those little annoyances, it felt really good, and made me remember Batman Arkham Asylum in a good way, so I hope they expand upon it in the future.

Jax said:
Except that you hit circle wanting to roll and find yourself stuck to a wall since the game decided you wanted cover. Of course 'cover' isn't exactly what you got since you are stuck to a wall with yourself exposed to the enemy.

Perhaps they should use different buttons.

eloestmn

iLLmAtlc said:
Has anyone managed to complete the treasure set to get Doughnut Drake yet? I've been reading online that it's pretty much been impossible to complete.
I dont have a single one of those, and only 3 total out of the ones for the skeletons and doughnut lazarevich.

I havent seen 1 skeleton and Ive only seen doughnut lazarevich once in any of the matches ive played and im about 80 hours in since the retail version dropped.

I may have gotten the boss to drop the 2nd and last treasure for london underground on hard or crushing but I died as it dropped, then almost immediately, one teammate got choked followed by the death of the third guy, all within the span of 2 or 3 seconds. Of course it wasnt there when we respawned and it more than likely would have been one of the treasures they give you on easy or normal. :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For fuck sake so many grenades being lobbed it feels like playing CODs on Veteran.

And what the hell? We're fighting amidst a
GODDAMN SANDSTORM
and yet the enemies can still lob their grenades very accurately even in long distance? What, do they have Superman eyes and hands or anything? For crying out loud.......

So far the experience has been good, although for some reason I am not really THAT impressed with all the 'blockbuster effects' such as explosions, vistas, yada yada yada... most probably due to Uncharted 2.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
consoul said:
You probably already know this, but the ghosting you're seeing in Uncharted 3 is a product of your TV, not the game. I've been playing it on a 3D DLP-Link projector and there's no ghosting whatsoever. Uncharted 3 has a lot of scenes with high-contrast lighting which many 3DTVs will have trouble displaying without ghosting. Batman:AC's visuals are much lower contrast (and its 3D is not truly rendering two distinct viewpoints) so it's less likely to produce ghosting on 3DTVs.

For U3, you could try turning down the contrast on your TV to see if that helps reduce the ghosting. Another thing I've noticed with active shutter glasses is that sometimes their blackout is more effective at the top or bottom of the lens. Try adjusting the position of the glasses on your face so you're looking through the upper or lower part of the lens. Typically the lower part will blackout more effectively which can make the ghosting less noticeable.
Thanks -- you know I googled a bit and think I figured it out. Seems that the TV size PS3 setting was set to 50" instead of the proper 54". That seems to have done the trick actually based on a quick check.

HenryHSH

I made the mistake of playing it on hard on my first playthrough and read afterwards than you no longer need to play hard to unlock crushing. I'm taking a week off before my crushing run. I'm not looking forward to ch.

Massa

Laughing Banana said:
For fuck sake so many grenades being lobbed it feels like playing CODs on Veteran.

GODDAMN SANDSTORM
and yet the enemies can still lob their grenades very accurately even in long distance? What, do they have Superman eyes and hands or anything? For crying out loud.......

So far the experience has been good, although for some reason I am not really THAT impressed with all the 'blockbuster effects' such as explosions, vistas, yada yada yada... most probably due to Uncharted 2.

Sony used pretty much every set piece in the game to promote it, that may also have something to do with it.

Tetraeon

mickcenary said:

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. Uncharted 3 definitely doesn't match up to 2, and the combat may be a lot more predictable and cheap, but it's still a great game and enjoyable when the moments that don't overwhelm come up.

However, I played through it first on Hard and the damn thing took me 9 hours to complete. Some moments were especially tricky because of the enemy spawn setups, and the ridiculous, pinpoint accurate hammer guys.

jett

D-Member
Cruzader said:
His facial structure is improved. And looks more realistic. He seems, I don't know how to say, perfect. The past models have looked cartooney like. This one looks like an actual render I've seen floating on the net. Since ND got the eyes right, all the models have improved tremendously. Chloe looks like a different person and improved unlike some think she is ugly. She was ugly on U2.

Jett get in here and do picture comparisons, nao! Lol

The changes are subtle but they're there, it's a slight reduction of exaggerated proportions.

U2_28.jpg

19322yemen_drake_scared.png

ND definitely strived for a more realistic look in UC3.

Chloe makes for a much more obvious example:

N2xCY.jpg

Laughing Banana said:

GODDAMN SANDSTORM
Well, to some degree you should thank them for their accuracy since one of the best way of defeating powerful foes is to toss back the grenades they generously give you.

The grenade toss-back feature is a bit overly ridiculous . . . but then again, so is the whole game so it is part of the fun. And they over-do the 'shoot the guy while he is throwing a grenade' bit too . . . but again, it is good satisfying fun.

speculawyer said:
And they over-do the 'shoot the guy while he is throwing a grenade' bit too . . . but again, it is good satisfying fun.
I feel like they might have changed the enemies' "YO I'M THROWING A GRENADE AT YOU NOW K?" animation, because I seem to be able to see them coming a mile off now. I feel like I have enough time to decide whether I want to pop a shot into the guy to get him to drop it or wait for him to throw it and then hurl it back at someone else.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
speculawyer said:
Well, to some degree you should thank them for their accuracy since one of the best way of defeating powerful foes is to toss back the grenades they generously give you.

The grenade toss-back feature is a bit overly ridiculous . . . but then again, so is the whole game so it is part of the fun. And they over-do the 'shoot the guy while he is throwing a grenade' bit too . . . but again, it is good satisfying fun.

Hahaha I never really thought about it that way. I never really use the toss back grenade feature too. I just always scram when grenades start to roll next to Drake. Makes the overall thing seem somewhat 'cinematic' :p

Now on the chapter
Atlantis of the Sands
... and here we go, ridiculous
fire-elemental warping
enemies.....

Mit-

The thing that changed about Elena was they put all that fatty skin under her eyebrows, and that combined with the new makeup she has on the sides of her eyes, it makes her look asian.

You can't really see it from up-close pictures. Whenever you see her from a slight distance, she all of a sudden looks like this awkward asian talking puppet.

I think Chloe was an improvement except her hair is a bit, well, big. Poofy. Makes her head look bigger than it probably should. Also I caught a scene of her crouching, and her ass cheeks were INCREDIBLY pointy. Unnaturally so. Pointy and spread very far apart.

Drake looks incredible. Best in the series hands down.

Ricky_R said:
hahah I just noticed something fooling around in the last chapter. Someone please try it and let me know if it does the same thing to any of you.

When you encounter Sully after been drugged by the water, you move along a bit and you reach a room with a large Cobra statue. Then you jump down and you reach an area with stairs where there's water coming out and running down in the centre. I rolled in the water just to see if Drake could get wet on that spot and he ended up with sand all over his face and head instead of water. Apparently it triggers the wrong effect. :D

Maybe it won't happen if I start that chapter again, but I thought it was funny.
Yea I noticed that as well. Its weird.

Top Bottom