• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm at chapter 19 now, and the game definitely feels more like an adventure with elements of shooting than the other way around. I feel this was actually quite gutsy of ND to do, and I'm very happy that they did. It also helps that some of the non conventional segments are so well realized.

The latest of it for me being the desert segment
which was literally some kind of next level stuff at communicating the feeling of hopelessness and derangement of being exposed to a place like that. In practically any other game or even movie of this kind that has a scene like this, it is always realized in such a predictably trivial fashion. Hell, look no further than how it was handled in Jak 3 - that sort of crawl through the desert thing until he faints and someone rescues him, is exactly how it's done everywhere else.
It's moments like this that makes it clear that this series strives to be more than just mindless popcorn entertainment, and it's that much better to see that it succeedes.

Lord Error said:
I'm at chapter 19 now, and the game definitely feels more like an adventure with elements of shooting than the other way around. I feel this was actually quite gutsy of ND to do, and I'm very happy that they did. It also helps that some of the non conventional segments are so well realized.

which was literally some kind of next level stuff at communicating the feeling of hopelessness and derangement of being exposed to a place like that. In practically any other game or even movie of this kind that has a scene like this, it is always realized in such a predictably trivial fashion. Hell, look no further than how it was handled in Jak 3 - that sort of crawl through the desert thing until he faints and someone rescues him, is exactly how it's done everywhere else.
It's moments like this that makes it clear that this series strives to be more than just mindless popcorn entertainment, and it's that much better to see that it succeedes.
Unfortunately, the shooting is all you'll be doing from now on...

I still love it though.

Yagharek

Lord Error said:

I found that scene kind of contrived to be honest. It was made worse by the character controls and Drake getting stuck on
the edges of a sand dune

Massa

Phat Michael said:
Just got this game. Really not impressed so far. Music is good, gfx are ok but.not a leap over uc2, more imprtantly, the game is just so similar with no improvements made. Just a mindless bog standard ps3 affair with no depth at all.

The aiming thing sucks and gfx seem so cluttered that u cant make out the details of items on the screen. Im up to ch6 I think and its just a stock 7.5/10 for me. Ill play it once, finish it then never touch it again..

Chapter 6? You've barely seen what this game has to offer, I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

RDreamer said:
Doesn't matter. That was a neat surprise that ND purposefully didn't show anywhere. It's a spoiler.
It's been openly talked about on all the podcasts I've listened to etc. I'm pretty sensitive about spoilers and I didn't mind hearing it, so I thought it was fair game.

I'll tag it though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cluttered graphics... ok, that's just lol. Bog standard 'ps3' affair, heh.

Foliorum Viridum said:
In reference to me? That's the first 90 mins. Hardly spoilers.
That's probably one of the biggest spoilers about the game you could post, as that's the thing that was never mentioned or even hinted at in any of the trailers.

deepbrown

Massa said:
Chapter 6? You've barely seen what this game has to offer, I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

Guys, I've just loaded up Uncharted 3 and I'm on the start screen. It's really not that impressive, just a desert background with music. And then they have these cheesey game boxes to choose between campaign, co-op and competitive! What's that all about?

There's absolutely no class and it doesn't feel like a step up from Uncharted 2, if anything it's a step down. Definitely a 7/10 game.

Lord Error said:
That's probably one of the biggest spoilers about the game you could post, as that's the thing that was never mentioned or even hinted at in any of the trailers.
The irony here?

I avoided nearly all of the pre-release media to avoid spoilers, so I never knew this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've completely adapted to the controls. But they're really just so bizarre. The
sniping section
in Ch8 should have set off red flags.

Massa said:
Im not joking and ive played about 2 hours so far. Its no different to uc2 at all. The melee seems airy and stiff and the shooting elements arent fun either. The story seems interesting but the gameplay elements so far are not impressive

deepbrown

RandomVince said:
I found that scene kind of contrived to be honest. It was made worse by the character controls and Drake getting stuck on
the edges of a sand dune
Hm, disagree. I thought that was great, though I would have preferred less fade to black.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:
I've completely adapted to the controls. But they're really just so bizarre. The
sniping section
in Ch8 should have set off red flags.
Hmm no problems there, got most head shots on that part :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just finished the game.

I've said this before but this is Uncharted's Hangover 2 for me. It was still enjoyable but sometimes it just seems like the exact same stuff you did in Uncharted 2 but with a different scenery. I had some major Deja Vu moments throughout that I could of sworn I've done before. The new fighting system was awesome in the bar and awkward/annoying for the rest of the game. The gun fights seemed to lack most of the strategy that the second game required and replaced it with endless grenade matches and enemies that take 60 bullets to kill. I have some other minor problems as well with story and nemesis, especially how it all ended so suddenly. I was expecting an epic boss fight like Uncharted 2 had......

I just hope Naughty Dog takes it's time on the fourth one and hopefully it blows our minds away on the PS4. I think I less linear experience is at the top of my wishlist.

deepbrown

Phat Michael said:
Im not joking and ive played about 2 hours so far. Its no different to uc2 at all. The melee seems airy and stiff and the shooting elements arent fun either. The story seems interesting but the gameplay elements so far are not impressive
Just a tip - play more.

And secondly, turn the sensitivity up to 100 :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
deepbrown said:
Guys, I've just loaded up Uncharted 3 and I'm on the start screen. It's really not that impressive, just a desert background with music. And then they have these cheesey game boxes to choose between campaign, co-op and competitive! What's that all about?

There's absolutely no class and it doesn't feel like a step up from Uncharted 2, if anything it's a step down. Definitely a 7/10 game.

lol

patsu

deepbrown said:

The game needs more polish; but even without these refinements, it WILL grab you when you move along.

Yagharek

deepbrown said:
Hm, disagree. I thought that was great, though I would have preferred less fade to black.

I dunno. I just felt like they laboured the point, and in general the character didnt feel responsive during the whole game, but especially that bit.

I finished the game yesterday and am quite disappointed in it tbh.

deepbrown said:

Well coming from a guy with uc3 avatar your viewpoint is hardly going to be impartial. your attempt at sarcasm was not.funny at all and u seem to take my criticism of the game kinda personally. Its no big deal but I just dont think its a very good game, if u like it thats fantastic but I prefer my games with a little more thought and depth.

Loudninja

Phat Michael said:
Well coming from a guy with uc3 avatar your viewpoint is hardly going to be impartial. your attempt at sarcasm was not.funny at all and u seem to take my criticism of the game kinda personally. Its no big deal but I just dont think its a very good game, if u like it thats fantastic but I prefer my games with a little more thought and depth.
I been seeing this seen this alot lately judging people base on their avatar and its stupid.

deepbrown

Phat Michael said:
Michael, play more and don't score a game until you've finished it :)

Come back when you're done and then tell us what you think.

BTW, that's my avatar because he's hot. Bite me.

deepbrown

RandomVince said:
I dunno. I just felt like they laboured the point, and in general the character didnt feel responsive during the whole game, but especially that bit.

I finished the game yesterday and am quite disappointed in it tbh.
Well, I can't talk for the rest of the game - but wasn't that the point? He was on his last legs. I found that whole part incredibly atmospheric and arresting. Was one of my wow moments, though I agree, the constant fades could have been removed to make something a bit more seamless.

deepbrown said:
Just a tip - play more.

And secondly, turn the sensitivity up to 100 :)
The sensitivity is on 100 for me. And also, while the story may progress as u get further into the game, I doubt the game mechanics will. Im going to.finish the game but.im not enjoying it that much. For reference, I loved uc2 as it was such a big junp over uc1 and it was anenjoYable experience, this game just seems to be resting on its laurels like another repackage.

deepbrown said:
Michael, play more and don't score a game until you've finished it :)

Come back when you're done and then tell us what you think.

BTW, that's my avatar because he's hot. Bite me.
Thats fair enough and he is a bit of a babe. Ill give it a playthru but I dunno...its just not as good as I was expecting..

Yagharek

deepbrown said:
Well, I can't talk for the rest of the game - but wasn't that the point? He was on his last legs. I found that whole part incredibly atmospheric and arresting. Was one of my wow moments, though I agree, the constant fades could have been removed to make something a bit more seamless.

I know it was the point, but its hindered considerably when the controls feel unresponsive (through most of the game actually, especially the sequences where
you are escaping from pursuing attackers, or chasing someone

I just found it dragged on unnecessarily and became quite irritating.

Of course the best bit of the game was far more responsive
the caravan

Somehow the rest of it never felt quite that good.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Phat Michael said:
Thats fair enough and he is a bit of a babe. Ill give it a playthru but I dunno...its just not as good as I was expecting..

Chapter 11-End is probably the best part of the game.

deepbrown

Phat Michael said:
Chapter 6 is like 1 hour in. It's a very slow starter of a game, I like it as it builds atmosphere, but I think it wasn't until chapter 12 that it really built for me.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is it safe to say that the
shipyard
Is the best part of the game? Wow that was amazing and I loved the
ability to sneak up on everyone by water.

Loudninja

Skiesofwonder said:
shipyard
Love that part to, but the
cruise ship part was fantastic as well, love the platforming there

jett

D-Member
Skiesofwonder said:
shipyard

The best shootout yeah. Although it annoys me that you can't stealth your way completely through it.

Skiesofwonder said:
shipyard

I thought the atmosphere was the best part about that area. Especially the part early on.The scale was pretty amazing. I got a lot of God of War 3 vibes from a lot of areas showing just how big they were. Really impressive stuff.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Phat Michael said:
Well coming from a guy with uc3 avatar your viewpoint is hardly going to be impartial. your attempt at sarcasm was not.funny at all and u seem to take my criticism of the game kinda personally.
You can't expect to post things like "Bog-standard PS3 affair" and not be called out on it. I'm not sure what's that even supposed to mean tbh.

eternaLightness said:
I thought the atmosphere was the best part about that area. Especially the part early on.The scale was pretty amazing. I got a lot of God of War 3 vibes from a lot of areas showing just how big they were. Really impressive stuff.
The sense of dread and decay was good there, what with
ship 'skeletons'
and all.

darkvir

The games visuals are smoking hot, I find myself just looking around and enjoying the beauty. Some shots have the materials and lighting looking better than real life!

So far Ch 12... not really had any issues with gunplay. I find the controls can get wonky when walking.

So far amazing, on par with U2.

Cruzader

Banned
You know what ticks me off on Ch.17-Ch.18 (I think its 18)?

That after the sick Airplane fight with the big guy and after you make your way back into the cargo bay of the airplane, you have to fight enemy sponges. They literary take like a whole clip to kill. I always, always die in this part. Its frustrating because the "awe" part from just a few seconds ago disappears and instead get frustrated. Totally kills the moment.

I dont really know if the fire burning around you kills you but its such a shitty scene, overall. Like right after you get back into the plane, you kill 2 guys waiting for you. Ok then you take cover as there are like 10 guys all the way in the back. So while they are all shooting at you, the back starts to burn down and the cargo boxes on the back start to move left and right. Now, all of this sounds fucking awesome but its all killed thanx to enemy sponges. The shitty Uzi you get sucks which doesnt help as that is the only gun you have at the start of the chaos. Oh and we all know that enemies rush you in this game, so you'll be taking cover on a box that only stays in place for a few second while a bunch of bullets fly over you with a douchbag approaching you from the left ready to fuck this whole tactical thing you are trying to pull.

I mean, I wish I could show this scene to someone without dying but I guess that will never happen. I mean I could but I would die a few times which would like I said, kill the whole action sequence. Why did they have to make the enemies be bullet sponges for this section? Or atleast why are they rushing me while the back side is catching fire and Im about to die? Instead of that, I wish ND would of had enemies on the back trying to parachute out of the plane while some give their buddies cover as you make your way to the mid section off the plane. By then the plane crashing thing should start or something. I think the fact they rush you when you are taking cover and holding for dear life is what should be fixed. There is no way to get in a fight with an enemy while 10 guys are shooting at you in this tiny space with moving cover. Ok sorry for the long rant.

deepbrown said:
What about in the market? You can hit them with fish... even a trophy for it.
Nice homage to Team Fortress 2.

scout%20beats%20with%20fish%20-%20[gor]mcgriddles.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Did the patch info that was supposed to be this week come yet? I'm just curious as to everything it's going to include.

Also, am I the only person that's genuinely bewildered about some of the complaints with this game? I'm all for real, critical discussions but sometimes I feel like I played an entirely different game than most people. Complaints about too much combat and difficulty especially. It has the least combat and is the easiest of the series. I also am really confused with so many people calling out the combat and shooting mechanics while praising everything else when I see the same people saying that too many games focus on shooting with an ignorance to character development when Uncharted does those things so well.

The Lamp

Skiesofwonder said:
I just finished the game.

I've said this before but this is Uncharted's Hangover 2 for me. It was still enjoyable but sometimes it just seems like the exact same stuff you did in Uncharted 2 but with a different scenery. I had some major Deja Vu moments throughout that I could of sworn I've done before. The new fighting system was awesome in the bar and awkward/annoying for the rest of the game. The gun fights seemed to lack most of the strategy that the second game required and replaced it with endless grenade matches and enemies that take 60 bullets to kill. I have some other minor problems as well with story and nemesis, especially how it all ended so suddenly. I was expecting an epic boss fight like Uncharted 2 had......

I just hope Naughty Dog takes it's time on the fourth one and hopefully it blows our minds away on the PS4. I think I less linear experience is at the top of my wishlist.

I just started playing God of War 3 last night and I'm convinced that I want something similar to that. You see, God of War 3 has amazing, mindblowing setpieces but, outside of the QTEs, you're given a lot of control and room for exploration. There are side routes for secrets and the ability to backtrack, even if you don't need to, to at least some extent. I think Uncharted would benefit from that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you find the gunplay hard or frustrating, stick the game on easy or better yet, very easy - because in that mode you really have to work at it to die!

I'm not joking or being snarky either. Uncharted3's campaign is an ENTERTAINMENT, the amount of enjoyment you get from the story, characterization, graphics -all of Uncharted's signature strongpoints are entirely independent of the game's difficulty.

If you're having trouble with the aiming, put the training wheels on while you adapt, noone is going to fault you for it. If you want to prove your competitive/cooperative mettle go and play some online mode where the aiming is pretty much as you remember it from U2.

UrbanRats

Skiesofwonder said:
shipyard
Best gameplay part, yeah (for me anyway).
In the end, i was kinda disappointed in the game, i liked it, but now i wish i had waited for it to go cheap.
Uncharted 2 is still my favorite in the series, as it had the right amount of shooting versus set pieces/adventure stuff (although not perfect by any means) and some really amazing level design, compared to U3.
Once i finished Uncharted 2, i wanted to play it again, this has not happened with Uncharted 3 because, i think, it exposed the series weak parts more (shallow melee, auto-platforming and brainless puzzles, mainly).
I'm probably one of the few who thought it was ok for the game being a shooter-first, so the more boring shooting sections in UC3 turned me off.
That said, the
shipyard shootout
was great and the
horse+trucks part
too(although highly dejavù inducing).
The setpieces were incredible, but too intrusive, compared to 2's (i think a set piece should be more of an icing on the cake, rather than the main course) and some parts that could've been interesting, gameplay wise, lasted too little to become really satisfying (
moving covers on the ship and the plane, for example
).
I think the game was too obsessed to "not bore the player", that it felt schizophrenic and ultimately unsatisfying to actually play, like it was developed for someone with adhd or something.
Graphics and all the fine details were flawless and the story was ok, better than 2, but still too shallow and with too many holes, narratively speaking.

This was my experience, anyway.

EDIT: Also, i hate the new aim, but playing it on normal, i died far less than in Uncharted 2; dunno why so many people are having an hard time.

UrbanRats said:
EDIT: Also, i hate the new aim, but playing it on normal, i died far less than in Uncharted 2; dunno why so many people are having an hard time.
Playing on hard and crushing, the aiming really matters. You need to be able to snipe people relatively quickly and get head shots but that is very hard with the aiming being wonky.

UrbanRats

speculawyer said:
Playing on hard and crushing, the aiming really matters. You need to be able to snipe people relatively quickly and get head shots but that is very hard with the aiming being wonky.
I see.
Make sense, since i was basically forced (by the new aim) to run & gun + melee, most of the time (doable on normal).

jett

D-Member
speculawyer said:

It's really not that bad, I found crushing much easier than normal because I knew what to expect. Definitely died less.

patsu

Skiesofwonder said:
shipyard

I like all the
shipyard and some desert
levels. Can be frustrating at times but so awe inspiring. ^_^

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Unfortunately, the shooting is all you'll be doing from now on...

I still love it though.
I kinda feel I should have found this on my own :p But I seem to remember scene from the trailer that was again something unusual that hasn't happened in the game before, so I know I have yet to see that.

Top Bottom