• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

So I'm stuck in the single player. I'm at the part in
Syria where you get blown out a window and use chains to get back inside. I can't find where to go and Sulley, Chloie and the other dude are just standing there. All the enemies are dead. I just can't find where to go.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ToyMachine228 said:
So I'm stuck in the single player. I'm at the part in
Syria where you get blown out a window and use chains to get back inside. I can't find where to go and Sulley, Chloie and the other dude are just standing there. All the enemies are dead. I just can't find where to go.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Top floor. Door in the circular middle wall you need to press Triangle to open. It's tough to see.

besiktas1

Had to switch the game to very easy near the end because the sonny shooting pissed me off hard. Dying when I know I shouldn't dampened the experience. Finished it. As expected awesome.

wotter

Finished the game today, clocked in at 9h exactly. Still need to touch MP.

Fantastic game, and the last level was just jaw-dropping (seriously, how the hell do they keep embarrassing other devs?). So glad that I was on a media blackout for a couple of weeks, so a lot of levels were a total surprise to me. Level 2 gave me a Indiana Jones vibe.
Definitely a worthy contender for GAF GOTY.
And for the doubters, buy this for under your christmas three.

RoboPlato said:
Also, am I the only person that's genuinely bewildered about some of the complaints with this game? I'm all for real, critical discussions but sometimes I feel like I played an entirely different game than most people. Complaints about too much combat and difficulty especially. It has the least combat and is the easiest of the series. I also am really confused with so many people calling out the combat and shooting mechanics while praising everything else when I see the same people saying that too many games focus on shooting with an ignorance to character development when Uncharted does those things so well.

I'm the complete opposite. I see people praising stuff like
the shipyard, the cruise ship shootout, the desert village combat, the sandstorm stuff, the supernatural enemies, etc.
and I'm genuinely bewildered because the combat in Uncharted 2 felt so much better. The the enemy hit reactions, enemy placement, enemy choices, AI design, and combat pacing was were all a notch or 2 above U3. Plus that's without even mentioning the aiming issues. And people, like myself, who call out the combat mechanics do so because those are the obvious standout issues IMO. OK so there might be less combat, but the fact that I feel there was more is a huge issue to me. It wasn't fun.

The moral of the story is: More Chateau-like combat, less whatever the hell they did in the 2nd half.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Reposting for the new page:

Just starting this game . . . anyone have issues with the 3D? I have no problems with the Arkham 3D but in certain scenes I get a ton of ghosting on the characters in this game. Almost to the point where I have to turn the effect way down. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Playing on a VT25.

Darkatomz

Gyrian said:
For anyone out there who's level 75 and not quite sure what going legacy affects, here's a recap.
I did this last night, and of course the game does not explain much of anything.

- You lose all your cash and re-start back up with $10K. Make sure you spend in characters, clothing attachments, taunts, or emblems beforehand.
- You lose all booster levels, even coop ones.
- You must re-buy all your standard weapons and boosters again.
- Your access to weapons and boosters is ruled by your level again, so expect some time with the AK, Para9, and basic boosters.
- Missions reset.

+ You keep all your treasures and unique weapons.
+ You keep all characters, clothing attachments, taunts, and emblems.
+ You gain the entire batch of negative boosters.
The bolded is wrong Gyrian.

First Legacy:
Booster Slot 1:
Out of Breath - sprint recovery time and duration significantly slower - multiplies cash earned from kills 2x
Flat Footed - move significantly slower while aiming - multiplies cash earned from kills 2.5x

Booster Slot 2:
Extra Kickback Costs: medal kickbacks cost 4 more medals to use - multiplies cash earned from kills 2.5x
Small Pockets: you spawn with significantly less ammo - multiplies cash earned from kills 2x

Legacy 1 = 15% increase over base cost

Second Legacy:
New rank emblem

Booster Slot 1:
Slow Healing - health regeneration is significantly slowed - multiplies cash earned from kills 2x
Fewer Grenades - your ability to carry grenades is reduced (eliminated) - multiplies cash earned from kills 3x

Booster Slot 2:
Invalid - you have half health - multiplies cash earned from kills 3.5x
No Power Weapons - you can't pick up power weapons - multiplies cash earned from kills 3x

Legacy 2 = 30% increase over base cost

Third Legacy:
New rank emblem
New skins: clown masks, Doughnut Talbot
Legacy 3 = 45% increase over base cost

Fourth Legacy:
New rank emblem
Possibly more stuff: this is currently locked so we need to wait until ND removes the level cap

Fifth (final) Legacy:
New rank emblem
Possibly more stuff: again, same as above - this is currently locked

Levels 76-100:
These levels have normal rank emblems, essentially continuing from the non-Legacy levels 1-75. Level 100 is a skull emblem.

Flayer

I doubt I'll ever get to Legacy (currently level36 but playing other games as well) and what I really hate about it is that it resets booster levels. I'd give up all my stupid taunts to keep lvl3 Regeneration (at the level I could unlock it again).

my impression of this game improves over time, release the patch so I can play it again ND! Really glad they tried a different tone from the predecessors.

Playing Skyrim atm and its a great game to play before/after U3, they compliment each other very well although Some of the jank in Skyrim is off putting after the super polished U3 (relatively).

plastik

RoboPlato said:
Top floor. Door in the circular middle wall you need to press Triangle to open. It's tough to see.
I was stuck there too. Thought the game bugged out on me by not triggering an event, but then I finally found the door.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
BruiserBear said:
Still no word on the patch?
If they're adding motion blur, they have to balance everything so that it works perfectly. I guess it'll take time. I really don't care about the aiming patch anymore, as I didn't have any problems in the Crushing difficulty.

plastik said:
I was stuck there too. Thought the game bugged out on me by not triggering an event, but then I finally found the door.
Heh, yeah. It was nicely blended in. Had some issues in my first playthrough as well.

Meisadragon said:
If they're adding motion blur, they have to balance everything so that it works perfectly. I guess it'll take time. I really don't care about the aiming patch anymore, as I didn't have any problems in the Crushing difficulty.

Heh, yeah. It was nicely blended in. Had some issues in my first playthrough as well.
I'm not demanding the patch be out now. I'm just wanting to hear what exactly we can expect from it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruiserBear said:
I'm not demanding the patch be out now. I'm just wanting to hear what exactly we can expect from it.
There was supposed to be an update on it this week but it didn't happen. I'm guessing we'll hear more early in the week.

Cruzader

Banned
Beat it on crushing. 2nd playthrough is definitely way more enjoyable and not as bad In Crushing.

Love it more as I missed a few things said in the first time like I was confused to what was said but makes sense now. I think the game doesn't surpass U2 but still a great game with polish along with some flaws but no game is perfect. Now off to get the platinum and hope to move onto BF3 next when it's on sale on BF.

Gyrian

Darkatomz said:

First Legacy:
Booster Slot 1:
Out of Breath - sprint recovery time and duration significantly slower - multiplies cash earned from kills 2x
Flat Footed - move significantly slower while aiming - multiplies cash earned from kills 2.5x

Booster Slot 2:
Extra Kickback Costs: medal kickbacks cost 4 more medals to use - multiplies cash earned from kills 2.5x
Small Pockets: you spawn with significantly less ammo - multiplies cash earned from kills 2x

Second Legacy:
New rank emblem

Booster Slot 1:
Slow Healing - health regeneration is significantly slowed - multiplies cash earned from kills 2x
Fewer Grenades - your ability to carry grenades is reduced (eliminated) - multiplies cash earned from kills 3x

Booster Slot 2:
No Power Weapons - you can't pick up power weapons - multiplies cash earned from kills 3x

Third Legacy:
New rank emblem

Fourth Legacy:
New rank emblem
Possibly more stuff: this is currently locked so we need to wait until ND removes the level cap

Fifth (final) Legacy:
New rank emblem

Levels 76-100:
These levels have normal rank emblems, essentially continuing from the non-Legacy levels 1-75. Level 100 is a skull emblem.
Thanks for the add, Dark. This is really good info.
Looking forward to chipping away at Donut Talbot tonight, haha.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Why did they change Elena's face?

New character designer or something like that worked on Uncharted 3. Everyone looks somewhat different but Elena is the most affected. She starts looking more normal as the game goes on though. :p

Gyrian

Y2Kev said:
And Chloe's; and it looks even worse in the in-game model. ;_;
I think it happened for no reason other than a new art lead wanting to make his mark.

jax (old)

Banned
Phat Michael said:
Just got this game. Really not impressed so far. Music is good, gfx are ok but.not a leap over uc2, more imprtantly, the game is just so similar with no improvements made. Just a mindless bog standard ps3 affair with no depth at all.

The aiming thing sucks and gfx seem so cluttered that u cant make out the details of items on the screen. Im up to ch6 I think and its just a stock 7.5/10 for me. Ill play it once, finish it then never touch it again..

oh really, what defines a "bog standard ps3 affair"?

Phat Michael said:
Well coming from a guy with uc3 avatar

from this this thread and the best console graphics thread... neogaf really needs to start banning people for using this to dismiss and derail discussion. Evilore has banned before in the AVclub thread and here we are all over again. Read a post yesterday that used this as a factor to be generally dismissive and today again? Really?

jax (old)

Banned
Y2Kev said:

derpy move. they should have looked at it and went wtf did you do? FIX THIS?

Darkatomz said:

First Legacy:
Booster Slot 1:

Booster Slot 2:

Second Legacy:
New rank emblem

Booster Slot 1:

Booster Slot 2:

Third Legacy:
New rank emblem

Fourth Legacy:
New rank emblem

Fifth (final) Legacy:
New rank emblem

Levels 76-100:

OMFG.
OMFG.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Chloe is the worst offender, IMO. They completely ruined her. In the MP, it looks nothing like Chloe. Yes, I'm using the word 'it' to describe that disgusting character model.

For Elena, I always laugh when
they introduced her, and they make their way to the car. She says, "I'm not keeping my eyes off you" as to make the players (us) notice the supposed improvement in the eyes department, but she looks so fucking ugly and not like Elena in that entire cutscene.
:lol

I'm completely shocked they went through the entire production of the game and nobody stood up and said, "Oh hey, this woman doesn't look like Elena! We should, uh, ya know, probably fix that!"

jett

D-Member
Those negative boosters are retarded. You make little to no money from kills, everything comes from medals earned.

jax (old)

Banned
Rewrite said:
Chloe is the worst offender, IMO. They completely ruined her. In the MP, it looks nothing like Chloe. Yes, I'm using the word 'it' to describe that disgusting character model.

For Elena, I always laugh when
they introduced her, and they make their way to the car. She says, "I'm not keeping my eyes off you" as to make the players (us) notice the supposed improvement in the eyes department, but she looks so fucking ugly and not like Elena in that entire cutscene.
:lol

100% agreed. It was just so awful. Any UC players reaction would have been "fuck yeah. Elena... then... wtf is going on here??!?". That was mine and then everytime she showed up in cutscenes etc I was always like "wtf?".

If they can patch that; they really need to go look at U1+U2. why fix last years model if it ain't broke.

jett

D-Member
Jax said:
100% agreed. It was just so awful. Any UC players reaction would have been "fuck yeah. Elena... then... wtf is going on here??!?". That was mine and then everytime she showed up in cutscenes etc I was always like "wtf?".

If they can patch that; they really need to go look at U1+U2. why fix last years model if it ain't broke.

I don't think they're gonna patch several gigs of FMV.

jax (old)

Banned
jett said:
Those negative boosters are retarded. You make little to no money from kills, everything comes from medals earned.

I'm not sure if I'm prepared to lose my hard earned deposit and treasure hunter@3. That's a fact. It'd be insane to lose all the booster upgrades. That's the thing that gets me the most.

Right now; I don't really care about the weapon unlocks (skins and accessories are a bit more vital) but everything does take time to get.

jett said:
I don't think they're gonna patch several gigs of FMV.

if its a real time cutscene - they could've. I'll even rebuy the game if they fixed her model. Its that bad to me.

jett

D-Member
Jax said:
if its a real time cutscene - they could've. I'll even rebuy the game if they fixed her model. Its that bad to me.

1.- lol at the exaggeration. her model looks FINE:

Uncharted-3-elena_cu_airport_night.jpg

2.- Every cut-scene where Elena speaks is a video.

Elena looks the same to me. I bet if ND showed wireframes of her U2 and U3 models, with all the key measurements, I bet hardly anything has changed.

Cruzader

Banned
Personally I think since everyone got a new "facelift", it works. Everyone looks different. The worst offender is sully. Looks like he has mascara on. You know? That emo shit under the eyelids. So apparent on second play through...ugh.

And I think Elena looks ok. But ND didn't quiet get the expressions 100% with the emotions being expressed. So it looks off regardless of the makeup etc.

Chloe is an improvement. How can you say she looks worse? She was ugly on U2. Only thing good was her ass. I mean her crystal eyes made her stand out in a bad way. Now she looks better overall. Haven't played multi so ingame model could be ugly. I'm talking about video models.

Drake got the best make over. Past versions were ok. This one is perfect. Hope he is used on say future titles if there are any. Vita model looks like U2 model.

dalin80

Banned
Slightly prefer the new chloe, elena though her first appearance looks weird but by the time of 'that' scene with her and drake she looks good again.

All the male characters look fine, the females just look weird at times.

Cruzader

Banned
jett said:
1.- lol at the exaggeration. her model looks FINE:

Uncharted-3-elena_cu_airport_night.jpg

2.- Every cut-scene where Elena speaks is a video.
Jett, could you make a comparison between old and new faces, atleast in the spoilers thread? Or has it been done? Personally I think everyone looks better including Elena.

jett

D-Member
Cruzader said:
Jett, could you make a comparison between old and new faces, atleast in the spoilers thread? Or has it been done? Personally I think everyone looks better including Elena.

296409.png

ELENAFISHER.jpg

PheaKXbaG.jpg

bam.

threw UC1 in there because why the hell not

patsu

Perhaps they had to tweak the face because they were mucking around with some underlying changes. The final outcome may have been evolved by multiple artists and iterations. e.g., They animate the eyes better in U3. Not sure what other facial expression tech and artist treatment they use. Laa-Yosh from B3D was saying they use 98 bones for the head.

The body animation may be updated to handle the improved DOTS system too. It now handles physics, so the moving platforms like the boats are animated with physics waves, with the characters running on top of these platforms on demand. In U2, the moving platforms such as the train were said to be animated by the artists. The main characters' animation was also beefed up (touching wall, finger twtching).

Ricky_R

Elena looks different, but not that bad. However, when there's an in-game cut scene, she looks kinda terrible. Specially in
Yemen when she's telling Drake and Sully to wait that she will talk to the guards, I think.

She looks hideous in that part.

jett

D-Member
Jax said:
don't pick this one. Pick the one in
yemen.

She only looks different when she first shows up, it's quite simply the lighting. It's the same model. I thought she looked really cute there anyway.

jett said:
bam.

threw UC1 in there because why the hell not
Yep. You're all insane. She looks the same, just progressively poorly lit as you go back through the games.

I guess it's just an uncanny valley thing. Some people find that faces become more freaky, the closer to photorealism they get.

UrbanRats said:
It's funny beacuse she's very similar, but something feels off about her face.
I'm thinking maybe it's the black makeup at the eyes' corner, anyhow, i think it's also a matter of getting used to it.

2010145-256px_elena_fisher_render.png

It's something in the eyes.

She looks a bit more asiany now.

jax (old)

Banned
jett said:
She only looks different when she first shows up, it's quite simply the lighting. It's the same model. I thought she looked really cute there anyway.

the initial impression is that its fucked up. so it stuck.

and yes. more asiany.

Top Bottom