• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Demon Ice

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
So my buddy finishes the game last night and calls me up to let me know as soon as the credits finished rolling, he got the YLOD on his launch fattie.

Apparently Drake doesn't like fatties.

Oh dear :( I have one of those.

Gyrian

JumpingTheGun said:

YXiT6.gif

JumpingTheGun said:
So my buddy finishes the game last night and calls me up to let me know as soon as the credits finished rolling, he got the YLOD on his launch fattie.

I skipped the credits. Dodged a bullet?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
JumpingTheGun said:

I remember LA Noire killing Fat PS3s... I guess they can't handle the strain. Naughty Dog mentioned that they has issues with the older PS3s as well.

jax (old)

Banned
Fucking London underground coop. Normally you'd get a voice saying "get the treasure before it disappears..." I didn't and it went. :'( and I bet it was the other one I needed.

jett

D-Member
Played some awesome melee-only custom games with UC-GAF last night. Just hilarious stuff, sorry if I couldn't resist throwing a couple of grenades. :p Gyrian is 100% right, in melee-only the london trains actually become fun.

BTW I'm totally applying dat rolling technique in normal games, LOL.

darkvir

Finished last night, what a wild ride. I liked it just as much as I liked Uncharted 2.

No issues with shooting, still have no idea what all that fuss is about.

Gyrian

jett said:
BTW I'm totally applying dat rolling technique in normal games, LOL.

It's amazing how much you can learn on melee 'rules' in these games.
I had no idea that a well-timed roll could sometimes cancel a punch, or that you could insta-kill someone climbing above or below you! :O

Another neat bit is how sprint can make stealth kills happen where previously impossible in U2, since you might never catch up to the person you're tailing.

arne, if you guys still want to play with the lab, try sometime a melee only variation and enable the SP above ground jump kill! XD

jett

D-Member
BTW what do you guys set your sensitivity to during multiplayer? Default gives me the best degree of control, although setting it to max can sometimes help to aim at someone who's making a quick turn.

H_Prestige said:
Is the MP still the same as the subway beta? I thought ND was looking into making some changes after all the complaints.

Changes were made during the beta. Multiplayer is just fine as it is right now. ND really does not need to meddle with the basic mechanics of the game any more.

eloestmn

Jax said:
Fucking London underground coop. Normally you'd get a voice saying "get the treasure before it disappears..." I didn't and it went. :'( and I bet it was the other one I needed.
More than likely it was one you already had. At least thats what i tell myself to keep myself sane.
I had a game the other day on the same level but I died right as the treasure dropped and then 1 teammate got choked and the final one died all within 3 seconds. Treasure wasnt there when we respawned of course, and then, earlier tonight on London Underground, I got a treasure to drop and when i went to pick it up....NOTHING! Both times I bet it was the one I need to unlock francis drake.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished it last night. Uncharted endings are always so damn good and heartwarming. They just know how to end the game making you feel satisfied and yet yearning for more.

Game had some absolutely ridiculously awesome and beautiful parts, it was also trippier and much more introspective than the other two. The Desert was such a standout part to me. A philosophy of a deranged mind kind of moment, portrayed wonderfully.

darkwing

jett said:
BTW what do you guys set your sensitivity to during multiplayer? Default gives me the best degree of control, although setting it to max can sometimes help to aim at someone who's making a quick turn.

Changes were made during the beta. Multiplayer is just fine as it is right now. ND really does not need to meddle with the basic mechanics of the game any more.

I still have mine on default, yeah the MP is fine now

Gyrian said:
It's amazing how much you can learn on melee 'rules' in these games.
I had no idea that a well-timed roll could sometimes cancel a punch, or that you could insta-kill someone climbing above or below you! :O

Another neat bit is how sprint can make stealth kills happen where previously impossible in U2, since you might never catch up to the person you're tailing.

arne, if you guys still want to play with the lab, try sometime a melee only variation and enable the SP above ground jump kill! XD

What! How is this done?

jax (old)

Banned
jett said:
Multiplayer is just fine as it is right now. ND really does not need to meddle with the basic mechanics of the game any more.

I agree with this. It feels right. Considering how many perks/booster etc el combo there is in the game; it plays right and they don't need to do anything to it. I'm having a tremendous time with it.

jax (old)

Banned
eloestmn said:
More than likely it was one you already had. At least thats what i tell myself to keep myself sane.
I had a game the other day on the same level but I died right as the treasure dropped and then 1 teammate got choked and the final one died all within 3 seconds. Treasure wasnt there when we respawned of course, and then, earlier tonight on London Underground, I got a treasure to drop and when i went to pick it up....NOTHING! Both times I bet it was the one I need to unlock francis drake.

I actually think there's a secret thing they don't tell you : that is: when you throw grenades on a treasure; it goes away. I am convinced!!!

So I just got to the (big spoiler near the end I think)
where Sully apparently dies and Marlowe's men now turn into flame heads and take 20 head shots to kill? What the fuck.

jett said:
You just press square. You will grab him from behind and toss him, lol. If you're above him you'll kick him down.

Oh you mean grab him for the ledge or kick him in the face. I thought there was some well time roll kill he was talking about. Thanks for clarifying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
demosthenes said:
So I just got to the (big spoiler near the end I think)
where Sully apparently dies and Marlowe's men now turn into flame heads and take 20 head shots to kill? What the fuck.
Keep playing

Dragon

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:

I have a 20 GB launch unit. I was fine.

demosthenes said:
Of course I'm going to and
I don't think Sully is really dead
but jesus these guys are a pain in the ass to kill on normal.

Yeah I died a ton on those guys, because of their instant-kill attack. You have to keep moving when you get into that courtyard, otherwise you'll die pretty quickly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
demosthenes said:
There are tons of Taus and grenade launchers around. Their your best friends in that part. Two shots and they're gone.

jett

D-Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
Oh you mean grab him for the ledge or kick him in the face. I thought there was some well time roll kill he was talking about. Thanks for clarifying.

No, I mean when both characters are climbing a ladder, you can kill anyone above you on the ladder or below you.

CozMick

Banned
Fucks sake ND, I bought Fortune Hunters Club membership but I'm not able to get the Killzone skins for free, it's trying to charge me 1.19

Is this another "hitch"?

I'm in the UK btw.

jett

D-Member
demosthenes said:

Grab the Tau, two shots will kill them. Just blindfire them.

Mikey Jr.

CozMick said:
Fucks sake ND, I bought Fortune Hunters Club membership but I'm not able to get the Killzone skins for free, it's trying to charge me 1.19

Is this another "hitch"?

I'm in the UK btw.

Are you trying to download the individual item, or the bundle?

nib95

Banned
Gotta say, besides minor quibbles, MP in this game is seriously awesome and totally unique to any other game out there. But seriously, fix treasure drops (too rare or unfair) and Free for All Spawns/kill limit!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Worth noting is that SotC still reigns supreme in horse animation and horse riding feel. I'm surprised how practically noone else seems to understand that horse is supposed to undulate a bit when running. It's a small part in UC3, and they had to make the controls very responsive, so it's kind of understandable, but I'd lie if I'd say I wasn't expecting them to rise to this challenge a bit more.

The scenes where you ride a horse are so ridiculously great looking though, the lighting when you ride through that canyon, and then move the camera up and down to see more of it, I was really wowed.

Rainy Dog

Lord Error said:
Worth noting is that SotC still reigns supreme in horse animation and horse riding feel. I'm surprised how practically noone else seems to understand that horse is supposed to undulate a bit when running. It's a small part in UC3, and they had to make the controls very responsive, so it's kind of understandable, but I'd lie if I'd say I wasn't expecting them to rise to this challenge a bit more.

The scenes where you ride a horse are so ridiculously great looking though, the lighting when you ride through that canyon, and then move the camera up and down to see more of it, I was really wowed.

You should probably spoiler tag all that ;)

Oh, and I personally think
Red Dead Redemption
is the king in that regard. Though I suppose it's the main focus of that game so it should be.

Definitely agree about how good looking those scenes are, though. Makes you wonder what ND could do with their engine in an open world environment...

Lord Error said:

Yeah, I did expect the horse to have a little more weight to it's movement and control, but I still felt it worked fine as is.

Ricky_R

Lord Error said:

I'm sure ND could've made the horses animate much better, but quite frankly, I think they didn't care.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Finalow

Jax said:
I agree with this. It feels right. Considering how many perks/booster etc el combo there is in the game; it plays right and they don't need to do anything to it. I'm having a tremendous time with it.
''do not fucking aim'', that was a problem from the beta. Is the situation changed?
ah, also 4 bullets + melee = death, this was another problem in the beta.

Massa

JumpingTheGun said:

Poor PS3, it held out as long as it could and made it all the way to the end.

Ricky_R

Massa said:
Poor PS3, it held out as long as it could and made it all the way to the end.

Yeah... It probably took advantage of the whole Ubar falling apart and gave up with it. I think he went out with a bang.

Bowdz

CozMick said:

Is this another "hitch"?

I'm in the UK btw.

I'm getting the same thing and I'm in the US. I really would like to know what is going on because right now, it kind of defeats the purpose of the FHC in the first place.

I'm lovin multiplayer. Almost level 40 now. I think because of the varied situations that can arise from monkey jumping all around the levels, it always keeps it fresh to me. Just gotta resolve this mic issue though...

Gyrian

jett said:

I'm usually playing at one notch above default, it feels just right to me.
I've occasionally gone all the way up; there are days where I can run it without missing a beat.

Ricky_R said:
I'm sure ND could've made the horses animate much better, but quite frankly, I think they didn't care.

Maybe I'm wrong.

You are.
NDI mentions the work on animating the horses in one of the making-of featurettes; that they even went as far as having their ears react according to their state of mind.
With horses not being an integral part of the game as much as say Shadow of the Colossus or Red Dead Redemption, I think they did rather well.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, I love the MP too.

The treasure system is addicting, but I wish it wasn't so fucking restrictive. Play co-op arena to get clothes? Come on guys. Thats bullshit. I really don't like that mode, so why am I forced to play it if I want to give Drake a tophat? Plus all the character items are in those co-op modes, the guns are in the competitive. Blehhh.

Keeps the skins in co-op adventure, but do they need to be so hard to get? Nobody wants to play co-op anymore. They just want to grind for treasures.

Also, can we please have a randomized character creation select? So it will randomly choose a character when you start a match. Also, why is it that when I customize my character, if I choose someone else, then go back to my avatar, it defaults back to the regular dude. Why is this happening?

Hoping Arne will read this, hahaha.

Other than that, great fun.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Fix the duped treasures. It's pretty ridiculous to get the same trophy 3 times in one match and it saps any desire to go for them.

DigiMish said:
City of Brass reminds me of the early Halo maps which consisted of ramps going into ramps, which were then going into more ramps. Also, it just hurts my eyes to look in the background of that map.

City of Brass is the classic multi-player map. It could easily pass off as map from Quake 3. Gameplay wise.

Ricky_R

Gyrian said:
I'm usually playing at one notch above default, it feels just right to me.
I've occasionally gone all the way up; there are days where I can run it without missing a beat.

You are.
NDI mentions the work on animating the horses in one of the making-of featurettes; that they even went as far as having their ears react according to their state of mind.
With horses not being an integral part of the game as much as say Shadow of the Colossus or Red Dead Redemption, I think they did rather well.

Touche... I think I went too far in saying they didn't care. I think it was more suitable to say that maybe they reached a point where they thought they did enough work on them.

I shall check that video out.

Gyrian

Mikey Jr. said:
Also, why is it that when I customize my character, if I choose someone else, then go back to my avatar, it defaults back to the regular dude. Why is this happening?

This can definitely use a fix.
It's seriously annoying when you flip from a proper character back into your formerly customized create-a-character.

I'll also echo an earlier post that suggested making colors a RGB scale instead of pre-selected choices.
This would be great to make it so that we can see more than light brown, brown, more brown, and moss green.

alr1ghtstart said:
Fix the duped treasures. It's pretty ridiculous to get the same trophy 3 times in one match and it saps any desire to go for them.

If dupes must exist, it would be nice to have an indicator to let you know that it is in fact one.
I can't remember every single treasure I've already collected, and picking up "Spanish Coins 1/2" doesn't help with post match disappointment.

Or, we could simply not have dupes and receive cash or medals instead. Make it so that if a treasure pops up on the side that it is because it's new.

FOR GODS SAKE.

This disc is faulty as fuck.
Now I'm at Chapter 9 or so (Above and Below or something) and the spinning ring of death that loads in the corner won't finish loading. The Naughty Dog forum and PlayStation forums are full of complaints and ND are still trying to figure it out. What in the fuck man.

Most people who have the problem also suffer from the game not showing up on Playstation xmb, cutscene lagginess, other faults. So annoying. Let me play this awesome fucking game.

Top Bottom