• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite said:
That's a little bit funny to me because me and my friend did back 2 back on the co-op adventure maps on Hard to unlock Crushing...and not once did we die in The Airport level compared to the numerous amount of times in the other maps. To me, The Monastery is the hardest of all because of the rocket launcher guys at the end. With 2 people, it was tough as fuck because not only do you have to pay attention to where the RL guys are going to spawn, but you're getting shot at from those armored guys. Borneo is a close second.

It goes like this for me in terms of difficult (with 2 people only):

Monastery, Borneo, London Underground, Syria, and Airport.

Monastery is hard because there is very few areas to hide ( even for a moment ) , running around and evading can't work for extended period of time , same for airport .

Airport, after the cars goes toward the plane ( cutscene ) is quite difficult .If only because of this 2 rocket launchers guys , for monastery you have 1 grenade launcher guy & several snipers ... BUT getting caught in a pinch by 2 rocket launcher guys in front , 3 shields guys on the back and after some turns more people keep coming !!!

This was done with 3 people so i guess the difficulty balance make a real change

Your Excellency said:
Most people who have the problem also suffer from the game not showing up on Playstation xmb, cutscene lagginess, other faults. So annoying. Let me play this awesome fucking game.
Maybe its's just the blu ray drive that need a calibration ...U3 stream a lot of data from the disc , so if you blu ray drive is slow for whatever reason , you'll have problem.
Have you tried the game on another PS3 , that might be it , instead of crying at the game.

BeeDog

I'm getting bored of the same maps in the MP, since I never, ever get to play City of Brass (don't know even how it looks) or the daylight Museum map (I think?).

Is there a site that details every MP map that's currently in the game?

Geometry seams, awkward backwards jumping, and not being able to party up with the one guy my brother and I planned on co-oping with are some of the things I hope are being looked at. Pissed me off how rushed this game feels.

I love it though, in case people think I'm one of the negative Nancys.

Also, I'm disappointed that selecting chapter select to start the game fresh, like I have in the previous titles, voids the opening cutscene and starts out right as you get into a fight.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Your Excellency said:
FOR GODS SAKE.

This disc is faulty as fuck.
Now I'm at Chapter 9 or so (Above and Below or something) and the spinning ring of death that loads in the corner won't finish loading. The Naughty Dog forum and PlayStation forums are full of complaints and ND are still trying to figure it out. What in the fuck man.

Most people who have the problem also suffer from the game not showing up on Playstation xmb, cutscene lagginess, other faults. So annoying. Let me play this awesome fucking game.
Sorry to sound like a bearer of bad news, but it either means your drive is dying, or much less likely, the disc you have is pressed badly, so you should try exchanging. The disc is dual layer, so it probably stresses the drive in a way 99% other games don't. I really don't think there's anything there for them to figure out.

I had zero problems with loading, and no show stopping glitches of any kind for what it's worth.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
krameriffic said:
Fun to dismiss him when he doesn't like games that you like isn't it?
He doesn't like any games. Besides, I hate Yatzee's videos for getting people to start the "Nate is a mass murderer" bullshit. I used to enjoy him a lot but the schtick has gotten old for me since lots of people cling to his criticisms that he makes just for a laugh.

BeeDog said:
I'm getting bored of the same maps in the MP, since I never, ever get to play City of Brass (don't know even how it looks) or the daylight Museum map (I think?).

Is there a site that details every MP map that's currently in the game?
You can create a custom game and play around by yourself you know?

Lord Error said:
Worth noting is that SotC still reigns supreme in horse animation and horse riding feel. I'm surprised how practically noone else seems to understand that horse is supposed to undulate a bit when running. It's a small part in UC3, and they had to make the controls very responsive, so it's kind of understandable, but I'd lie if I'd say I wasn't expecting them to rise to this challenge a bit more.

The scenes where you ride a horse are so ridiculously great looking though, the lighting when you ride through that canyon, and then move the camera up and down to see more of it, I was really wowed.
Really? And the king is Read Dead Redemption btw.

Horse animation and rigging is one of the most difficult things to do (any species) in animation and can be very expensive and time consuming. Unless your game depends on having a great horse, you usually cant afford to pour in too many assets into a 5 minute scene. Its ballsy they even tried.

And to put it into money terms, to animate, rig, skin, texture, sounds, code the horse in RDR - probably cost them around 1.5 million dollars. And that's a low estimate.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Gyrian said:
This can definitely use a fix.
It's seriously annoying when you flip from a proper character back into your formerly customized create-a-character.

I'll also echo an earlier post that suggested making colors a RGB scale instead of pre-selected choices.
This would be great to make it so that we can see more than light brown, brown, more brown, and moss green.
Naughty Dog just need to revamp the customization options. It's so LIMITED. i'm seriously so disappointed in that department of the MP. I don't have time to write a huge post explaining why right now, unfortunately. Maybe later.

I'll touch on your color bit...in the original beta, sometimes it would glitch and give you purple shirts...or a color scheme that wasn't in the color wheel so it IS possible to add in more colors in the options. The color options we can choose from is laughable. :(

I like the MP now too.

Gyrian

BeeDog said:
Actually I didn't. Gonna look into it the next time I boot up the game.

Just start up the multiplayer option in LAN mode, it's great for previewing all kinds of things.

Rewrite said:
I'll touch on your color bit...in the original beta, sometimes it would glitch and give you purple shirts...or a color scheme that wasn't in the color wheel so it IS possible to add in more colors in the options. The color options we can choose from is laughable. :(

There's little doubt in my mind that this system is already in place.
Efficient as NDI is, they're not going to be loading some 8 shirt textures for each active character where the only difference is the color.

EDIT: This just arrived in the mail.
Heads up, disc 2 is brand new, and not part of the iTunes version of the soundtrack.
Note that it also covers at least some of the MP music played when the tides are turning. :D

RUrn5.gif

Gyrian said:
Just start up the multiplayer option in LAN mode, it's great for previewing all kinds of things.

There's little doubt in my mind that this system is already in place.
Efficient as NDI is, they're not going to be loading some 8 shirt textures for each active character where the only difference is the color.

EDIT: This just arrived in the mail.
Heads up, disc 2 is brand new, and not part of the iTunes version of the soundtrack.
Note that it also covers at least some of the MP music played when the tides are turning. :D

RUrn5.gif
Ooh, can't wait for mine. Did they ever release a physical copy for 1? I want it since I have 2 and will be receiving 3.

Lord Error said:
Sorry to sound like a bearer of bad news, but it either means your drive is dying, or much less likely, the disc you have is pressed badly, so you should try exchanging. The disc is dual layer, so it probably stresses the drive in a way 99% other games don't. I really don't think there's anything there for them to figure out.

I had zero problems with loading, and no show stopping glitches of any kind for what it's worth.

No, the problem is so widespread with relation to this specific game that it's an error with the game. All other games work fine. It's a software issue, as people have reported doing software things with the PS3 (eg installing another game, changing the hard drive) can get it working. The laser is fine. The problem is with the code. It's fucking my shit up dog.

Your Excellency said:
No, the problem is so widespread with relation to this specific game that it's an error with the game. All other games work fine. It's a software issue, as people have reported doing software things with the PS3 (eg installing another game, changing the hard drive) can get it working. The laser is fine. The problem is with the code. It's fucking my shit up dog.
How many dual disc PS3 game do you have ?

R_thanatos said:
How many dual disc PS3 game do you have ?

Was MGS4 a dual layer disc? That worked fine.

Look, if the PS3 can't handle dual-layer games, then don't make dual layer games. Don't make them and think it's acceptable because only 5% of gamers have issues.

Can you imagine the rage and lolz if Naughty Dog comes out tomorrow and says.......

Patch Notes everyone!

- the aiming in the single player campaign has been tweaked slightly to improve aiming.

That is all.

jett

D-Member
Your Excellency said:

I never had a problem. It's not a problem with dual layer either as nearly all blu-ray movies are DL discs. It's your PS3.

spats

BruiserBear said:
Can you imagine the rage and lolz if Naughty Dog comes out tomorrow and says.......

Patch Notes everyone!

- the aiming in the single player campaign has been tweaked slightly to improve aiming.

That is all.

I'd be pretty happy with that. Don't really care about anything else, I just want to aim normally so I can start my crushing run.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Your Excellency said:
I don't think there's any code done by ND or any other game dev, that can make the XMB icon not appear when you insert the disc for example. It's system feature. My guess is that the drive randomly fails reading certain files from the 2nd layer, and that's what's causing all these issues, and also the reason why they appear to be fixed by doing random things with the console.

jett said:
I never had a problem. It's not a problem with dual layer either as nearly all blu-ray movies are DL discs. It's your PS3.
Movies mostly work by reading the disc in a 100% linear fashion though, so they again won't be good comparison.

jax (old)

Banned
Your Excellency said:
FOR GODS SAKE.

This disc is faulty as fuck.
Now I'm at Chapter 9 or so (Above and Below or something) and the spinning ring of death that loads in the corner won't finish loading. The Naughty Dog forum and PlayStation forums are full of complaints and ND are still trying to figure it out. What in the fuck man.

^ its your disc. In fact; having read this thread, you're the first to post that.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Geometry seams, awkward backwards jumping, and not being able to party up with the one guy my brother and I planned on co-oping with are some of the things I hope are being looked at. Pissed me off how rushed this game feels.

I love it though, in case people think I'm one of the negative Nancys.

Also, I'm disappointed that selecting chapter select to start the game fresh, like I have in the previous titles, voids the opening cutscene and starts out right as you get into a fight.

I think the MP game is polished. If there was really a quibble; itd be the shitty lipsyncing/mouth animation of the co-op adventure game characters. There is so much to the MP game; its so so good. Nothing plays like it too - the adventure mode; the MP games, the co op stuff.

Gyrian

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Did they ever release a physical copy for 1? I want it since I have 2 and will be receiving 3.

They didn't, though it still might exist in disc as some internal / promotional copy.
On the subject of U1's soundtrack, it was neat to hear the occasional music cue referencing it in U3's.
U1's score has some really great themes that haven't been used anywhere else in the series, such as "Sir Francis Drake" and "Uncharted Theme".

While we're here, I wanted to share again the custom artwork that I've made for all three soundtracks.
I designed them for iTunes, since I'm never happy with the scans that are included or you can usually find online.

20YSP.png

KoWSy.png

bcJFp.png

darkwing

BruiserBear said:

Patch Notes everyone!

That is all.
needs a new thread

Darkatomz

jett said:
Played some awesome melee-only custom games with UC-GAF last night. Just hilarious stuff, sorry if I couldn't resist throwing a couple of grenades. :p Gyrian is 100% right, in melee-only the london trains actually become fun.

BTW I'm totally applying dat rolling technique in normal games, LOL.
You have no idea just how much I've been using it before you guys caught on :D

Also, I got my LE soundtrack for UC3 in the mail today too. Still wish the first game's OST would have been physically released.

Haven't read through the entire thread, but has there been any mention of patching in the post-game bonuses? That was actually the most disappointing thing about the game after finishing it. Seriously...after having in the previous games, why cut it now?? It's not a huge thing, but it definitely added to the replay value of them for me. (Not interested in MP, don't care about trophies)

If it's not coming, I hate to say it but as much fun as I had with it, I may pass it on.

jett

D-Member
subtlesaysigh said:
Haven't read through the entire thread, but has there been any mention of patching in the post-game bonuses? That was actually the most disappointing thing about the game after finishing it. Seriously...after having in the previous games, why cut it now?? It's not a huge thing, but it definitely added to the replay value of them for me. (Not interested in MP, don't care about trophies)

If it's not coming, I hate to say it but as much fun as I had with it, I may pass it on.

You'll have to pass it on then, it's confirmed that it's not coming.

jax (old)

Banned
they said pretty much the only thing that will be patched in (bonus) is the cinema viewer.

its funny that the bonus stuff like playing as fatties + zero grav is removed.

Gyrian said:
They didn't, though it still might exist in disc as some internal / promotional copy.
On the subject of U1's soundtrack, it was neat to hear the occasional music cue referencing it in U3's.
U1's score has some really great themes that haven't been used anywhere else in the series, such as "Sir Francis Drake" and "Uncharted Theme".

While we're here, I wanted to share again the custom artwork that I've made for all three soundtracks.
I designed them for iTunes, since I'm never happy with the scans that are included or you can usually find online.

20YSP.png

KoWSy.png

bcJFp.png
Technically, you can hear the main cue from Uncharted theme in 'Between a rock and a hard place' on UC2s OST. Also, I hear brief snippets of it in UC3 (only have the 11 track disc that came with the LE strategy guide and memory from the game and youtube to go by).

Nice images by the way. I miss UC1s scrolling, map-like menu screen.

jett

D-Member
Jax said:
they said pretty much the only thing that will be patched in (bonus) is the cinema viewer.

Physics seems to be much more complex in UC3 so I guess that's why it's no there, but it would've been awesome to play with that. Changeable skins and weapon selection I don't quite understand though.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Technically, you can hear the main cue from Uncharted theme in 'Between a rock and a hard place' on UC2s OST. Also, I hear brief snippets of it in UC3 (only have the 11 track disc that came with the LE strategy guide and memory from the game and youtube to go by).

Nice images by the way. I miss UC1s scrolling, map-like menu screen.

Yeah I liked UC1's title screen the best. It also ran at 60fps!

Jax said:

Yeah why was there no movie player? I spent 5 minutes sifting through menus looking for it. I thought they buried it deep somewhere and was really confused and dissapointed. Glad to hear it'll be patched in.

Ricky_R said:
I'm sure ND could've made the horses animate much better, but quite frankly, I think they didn't care.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I think they care more about playability than anything else.

You're shooting people in cover on trucks and zipping around on motorcycles while you're riding on a horse and dodging gunfire, it isn't like RDR where one shot would knock someone off a horse and you don't have the ability to slow time and lock-on.

jett said:
You'll have to pass it on then, it's confirmed that it's not coming.

Really?? Wow...Naughty Dog, wtf? :\ Oh well, amazing game while it lasted. That said, here's hoping Golden Abyss has a bit more cohesion going for it...

jett said:
Yeah I liked UC1's title screen the best. It also ran at 60fps!

I still remember booting up UC2 for the first time and being taken aback by the muddy, rather static title screen. That scrolling map in the first game was just smooooth.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
A decent interview with Keith Guerette about some of the development of the series and even a question about the Vita version.

I get the vibe that there may be another from ND, but on the other side of the coin ND sound like they're looking forward to working on something new.

Massa

Sony spent way too much on marketing Uncharted 3 to not make a sequel in the next 2 or 3 years. It's their biggest franchise after GT (and maybe God of War?).

Your Excellency said:
Was MGS4 a dual layer disc? That worked fine.

Look, if the PS3 can't handle dual-layer games, then don't make dual layer games. Don't make them and think it's acceptable because only 5% of gamers have issues.
You misundertood me.

The problem IMO comes from YOUR blu ray drive .
How many pages of uncharted 3 so far ? How many tmes did i see uncharted talked since the day of release ? You're the first i've heard with this issue .. It's not so widespread as you think , especially when more than 2 millions of copies were shipped.

When there is a problem people talk about it ( aiming issues in U3 ) .Yours ? not so widespread.. Keep blaming ND or sony , they will rush to your door and fix it ASAP

Gen X

R_thanatos said:
Keep blaming ND or sony , they will rush to your door and fix it ASAP

First ND call on Gaf to help fix the aiming issue, now this. Man, that's dedication to fans!

I hear ND like pizza so best be prepared for when they call!

storl026

Just finished my Crushing run and got the Platinum trophy. My first time through was on Hard, and I was kind of disappointed with the game, as compared to Uncharted 2. However, I liked it much more this time through. It kind of makes me wonder if I was "meh.." on my first run through U2, and it only grew on me on subsequent playthroughs.

Call me crazy, but I think some of the gunfights were easier on Crushing. I had more fun with them on this run than on the Hard run.

Cruzader

Banned
storl026 said:
Just finished my Crushing run and got the Platinum trophy. My first time through was on Hard, and I was kind of disappointed with the game, as compared to Uncharted 2. However, I liked it much more this time through. It kind of makes me wonder if I was "meh.." on my first run through U2, and it only grew on me on subsequent playthroughs.

Call me crazy, but I think some of the gunfights were easier on Crushing. I had more fun with them on this run than on the Hard run.
How did you get the
survivor trophy?

I tried for 30+ minutes on ch.19 by saving before the guy who drops sniper. Kill 7-8 guys and load the game. Repeat. I read a guide and said to do that but never got it. It pissed me off since I don't have a lot of time to grind for trophies and I just wasted my time. Any advice?

Johnas

Just finished the single player for the first time.

I haven't followed this thread (not the hugest Uncharted fan, but I like them all right) but I found this to be the best one of the bunch. I think I read somewhere that there were quite a few people who preferred U2, but this one just seemed a little more tightly focused. I started it yesterday and finished it today, I guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-14 hours or so. Just like with U2, I found 66 of the 100 treasures on my first run. I found all of them in the first Uncharted, but they're a lot harder to find in 2 and 3, imo.

I am still amazed at what ND have done here graphically, it's just ridiculous. It really does make other PS3 games look lackluster in comparison.

I didn't really follow the game prior to release (saw the odd trailer here and there) so I was unaware of
kid Drake, the horseback riding
and a few other things here and there, which was nice.

Just like the other two games, I find the character movement relative to the control input to be off-putting. I know it has to be somewhat loose to accommodate some of the platforming segments (so they don't require pinpoint accuracy, and thereby prove frustrating) but coming fresh off of Dark Souls, it's a little more noticeable.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Johnas said:
Just like the other two games, I find the character movement relative to the control input to be off-putting. I know it has to be somewhat loose to accommodate some of the platforming segments (so they don't require pinpoint accuracy, and thereby prove frustrating) but coming fresh off of Dark Souls, it's a little more noticeable.
Yeah, they went a bit crazy on the procedural animations with Drake putting his hand on walls and whatnot. Makes up for a wobbly Nate.

storl026

Cruzader said:
How did you get the
survivor trophy?

I tried for 30+ minutes on ch.19 by saving before the guy who drops sniper. Kill 7-8 guys and load the game. Repeat. I read a guide and said to do that but never got it. It pissed me off since I don't have a lot of time to grind for trophies and I just wasted my time. Any advice?

I just played through a pretty good chunk of it on Very Easy, starting with
the Chateau. You should be able to kill the entire room except for one guy and "Reload from Checkpoint", rinse & repeat. I don't know why it wasn't triggering for you, but just pop it down to Very Easy and play a combat-heavy chapter or two straight through.

Cruzader

Banned
storl026 said:
I just played through a pretty good chunk of it on Very Easy, starting with
the Chateau. You should be able to kill the entire room except for one guy and "Reload from Checkpoint", rinse & repeat. I don't know why it wasn't triggering for you, but just pop it down to Very Easy and play a combat-heavy chapter or two.
Thanx and are you sure your method works? I read doing that resets the counter. I read you have to manually load instead of restart by checkpoint on menu.

storl026

Cruzader said:
Thanx and are you sure your method works? I read doing that resets the counter. I read you have to manually load instead of restart by checkpoint on menu.

After some research, I found that the "Reload from Checkpoint" method DOES NOT work for the Survivor trophy.

Survivor
Defeat 75 enemies in a row without dying

Recommended chapter: Chapter 19

To get this trophy you have to kill 75 enemies in a row. You can not use "Restart checkpoint" when going for this trophy. It will unlock when you have killed 75 enemies in a row. I suggest doing this in Chapter 19 just after you kill the sniper with the T-Bolt, as it's a very good farming spot for other trophies as well. When going for Survivor, constantly rotate between no less than three save files, and save quite frequently. When you want to restart a section go to Load Game and not Restart Checkpoint.

Whenever you die for whatever reason, be it environmental, enemy, etc., immediately press start and load the most recent game save. It doesn't matter if it's a manual save or an auto-save. You will load back in as though nothing ever happened. Be sure not to let it automatically load the checkpoint, and don't hit Restart Checkpoint, otherwise your counter will be reset. If the game auto loads you back in to the game (you waited to long to hit Pause after death), you have to load your second to last save game. This is why you save frequently and rotate between 3 save games.

Source

Just go through on Very Easy, save after you've killed a substantial number of enemies (20 or so), then load that save only if something goes wrong (ie you die). Just play it straight through on Very Easy.

Morts

Cruzader said:
How did you get the
survivor trophy?

Just play on Easy for an hour or so. Don't stop and load.

RoboPlato said:
He doesn't like any games. Besides, I hate Yatzee's videos for getting people to start the "Nate is a mass murderer" bullshit. I used to enjoy him a lot but the schtick has gotten old for me since lots of people cling to his criticisms that he makes just for a laugh.
It's been a while, but didn't the final boss in U2 also refer to Nate as a mass murderer, by asking him how many people he has killed that day alone, in a way to point out how similar they are.

Gen X

Cruzader said:
How did you get the
survivor trophy?

That's the 75 kills without dying? I didn't look till after the game and was surprised to learn on my first playthrough, which was on hard, I got 73 kills. lol. fml.

Melfice7

Dark Octave said:
It's been a while, but didn't the final boss in U2 also refer to Nate as a mass murderer, by asking him how many people he has killed that day alone, in a way to point out how similar they are.

It's such a stupid and tired argument that just needs to die.. it's a video game! But if people don't wanna kill innocent pirates/mercenaries that hunt you on sight, play in easy and beat everyone with melee, problem solved
n4d948c0dcf868_medium.jpg

Top Bottom